LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

I wouldn’t think so. These are all different crafts. But for block operator, station master, yardmaster are all part of transportation department. Maybe you have to wait the year. I would think if they popped your name in the system it would show what you applied for. But for a fact I do know let’s say you make it into the program and fail out during any portion. You’re black listed from ANY transportation nationwide. This is what I was told from training. 

Ok, got it thanks Bro' 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

1 hour ago, Red5Xwing said:

It means that they received your application.  There should have been a corresponding email sent to you as well.

Yeah I know but I attended the open house passed cognitive and interviewed. Am I looking in the wrong section to see if it says passed like some others were talking about 

10 minutes ago, Djf22 said:

Yeah I know but I attended the open house passed cognitive and interviewed. Am I looking in the wrong section to see if it says passed like some others were talking about 

it dont matter really. Position Filled and you never heard anything, that means they went with another candidate. I dont think you can even withdraw at that point.

2 hours ago, Djf22 said:

Believe it or not it depends on which version of the site you get when you sign in.  In the one newer version, all of my applications only say submitted with no other status updates. In the other(older) version, it shows application status beyond just applied or submitted.  It also shows passed prescreening, job filled, etc, and whether or not you pass an interview.  It seems to be random whichever one shows up after I sign in.

5 hours ago, Red5Xwing said:

Believe it or not it depends on which version of the site you get when you sign in.  In the one newer version, all of my applications only say submitted with no other status updates. In the other(older) version, it shows application status beyond just applied or submitted.  It also shows passed prescreening, job filled, etc, and whether or not you pass an interview.  It seems to be random whichever one shows up after I sign in.

Having applied to dozens of positions, those status’ really have no meaning. I’ve had a lot of them say passed prescreening and never hear anything. I’ve also heard responses for ones that just say submitted. Only one I guess that’s accurate is position filled or anything negative so you don’t have to worry about hearing back anymore lol. And as for mine, it just says submitted for loco engineer and I had the open house in September and passed everything.

1 hour ago, J3737 said:

Having applied to dozens of positions, those status’ really have no meaning. I’ve had a lot of them say passed prescreening and never hear anything. I’ve also heard responses for ones that just say submitted. Only one I guess that’s accurate is position filled or anything negative so you don’t have to worry about hearing back anymore lol. And as for mine, it just says submitted for loco engineer and I had the open house in September and passed everything.

Yeah, I've got dozens of applications in mine.too.  I actually have been applying for the Locomotive Engineer Trainee position for about 13 years, and the November 16th Recruitment Event was the furthest I've gotten...still haven't received an "official" email about my failure yet though.  If I hadn't seen the old website version of my careers account I'd still be hoping for an invite to the S & D Overview and wondering what's taking so long.  Wish I could find out how I screwed up the exploratory interview but that's never gonna happen.  At least you passed everything though, and hopefully you'll be getting your invite soon 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

12 hours ago, Red5Xwing said:

The “older version” you’re referring to is actually the desktop version of the portal and the “newer version” is the mobile version of the portal which shows less information. Which is why it shows “submitted” for all positions. If you access the portal through your desktop you’ll be able to see a more in-depth status of your application. I’ve gotten the same versions on my phone as well. Usually it redirects me to the mobile version.

I also finally received a status update on my application. Turns out since I’m an internal candidate my records are taking a bit longer to come over from my agency. I’m not LIRR staff so process is a bit longer. Hoping I can make it to Sunday still 😭 

7 hours ago, Red5Xwing said:

Yeah, I've got dozens of applications in mine.too.  I actually have been applying for the Locomotive Engineer Trainee position for about 13 years, and the November 16th Recruitment Event was the furthest I've gotten...still haven't received an "official" email about my failure yet though.  If I hadn't seen the old website version of my careers account I'd still be hoping for an invite to the S & D Overview and wondering what's taking so long.  Wish I could find out how I screwed up the exploratory interview but that's never gonna happen.  At least you passed everything though, and hopefully you'll be getting your invite soon 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

I don’t think they care about the interview score that happened at the end. I think the job is all test based. The higher you score at open house, the higher chances you’ll get moved forward to S and D.

40 minutes ago, 2ride said:

I don’t think they care about the interview score that happened at the end. I think the job is all test based. The higher you score at open house, the higher chances you’ll get moved forward to S and D.

Your score is based on the cognitive tests and interview scores.then it’s averaged out. 

17 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

Your score is based on the cognitive tests and interview scores.then it’s averaged out. 

If that was the case then how come some of us never heard back? I know I did well on the interview. I had cash handling and customer service experience. The names should’ve been called out during the middle of the session when we all went on breaks.

2 hours ago, 2ride said:

If they didn’t care about the initial interview, they wouldn’t waste the time running them. Especially for conductor, pen and paper can assess logical reasoning and arithmetic speed but it can’t assess customer service skills which leaves it up to the subjective opinion of the interviewer. 

Now much weight they give it, who knows?

5 hours ago, NH90 said:

The “older version” you’re referring to is actually the desktop version of the portal and the “newer version” is the mobile version of the portal which shows less information. Which is why it shows “submitted” for all positions. If you access the portal through your desktop you’ll be able to see a more in-depth status of your application. I’ve gotten the same versions on my phone as well. Usually it redirects me to the mobile version.

I also finally received a status update on my application. Turns out since I’m an internal candidate my records are taking a bit longer to come over from my agency. I’m not LIRR staff so process is a bit longer. Hoping I can make it to Sunday still 😭 

My portal status says passed and passed prescreening. But I know how little that means. Maybe an email prod wouldn’t hurt. 

Edited by Def

14 minutes ago, Def said:

If they didn’t care about the initial interview, they wouldn’t waste the time running them. Especially for conductor, pen and paper can assess logical reasoning and arithmetic speed but it can’t assess customer service skills which leaves it up to the subjective opinion of the interviewer. 

My portal status says passed and passed prescreening. But I know how little that means. Maybe an email prod wouldn’t hurt. 

Which is why I’ve been saying that it’s fair to give everybody a chance to take the signals and definitions. Test scores don’t best measure potential to perform the job. Idk how the heck they even set this up at all…

3 minutes ago, Killjoy27 said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if we'll be sent a pass/letter to present on the train to get to Hillside and to show to security when we arrive for S&D? 

When is your SnD overview this Sunday ? You show security your email invite and that's it. I'm sure if you're talking the LIRR they'll let you slide on the train. multiple people at the cognitive test said they showed the conductor the the open house email and they let them go. idk bout the MTA tho you still gotta swipe through I can't see a station agent actually caring.

8 minutes ago, LinkyOG said:

When is your SnD overview this Sunday ? You show security your email invite and that's it. I'm sure if you're talking the LIRR they'll let you slide on the train. multiple people at the cognitive test said they showed the conductor the the open house email and they let them go. idk bout the MTA tho you still gotta swipe through I can't see a station agent actually caring.

Ah, thanks. Wasn't sure if they'd want something more specific than just the invite.

1 hour ago, Def said:

There seems to be no rhyme or reason on when they send out the emails.  Hopefully your S & D invite will be coming soon as well.  I'm still waiting on my email that says I didn't pass....IF they even bother with that.

11 hours ago, NH90 said:

Oh ok, I was wondering why I would a different version sometimes lol.  And I'm sure you'll make it to Sunday lol 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾