LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/28/2019 at 11:07 PM, RickFury said:

Me too! I’ve been nervous thinking I was missing something. Hopefully we hear back soon. 

On 5/28/2019 at 3:58 PM, RickFury said:

Did anyone from the May 6th open house get contacted for the S&D overview yet?

I haven't yet either!

1 hour ago, Steven trejo said:

Hey guys! Just finished my panel interview! Feeing amazing and relieved :) good luck too all going through the process. We got this ! 

-Steven Trejo 

Congrats!  Any timeline given?

Plus, what did they ask?  If you can share.

One week till my S&D.

13 minutes ago, Iwetoddit said:

Congrats!  Any timeline given?

Plus, what did they ask?  If you can share.

One week till my S&D.

Thank you ! :) and no timeline just been told that they are still gathering qualified candidates to fill up classes , and it was pretty straight forward relaxed interview, nothing out of the ordinary. If you go back on the forum like half way you could find some gems just saying ;)  And nice good luck keep studying those flash cards! 

2 hours ago, Steven trejo said:

Thank you ! :) and no timeline just been told that they are still gathering qualified candidates to fill up classes , and it was pretty straight forward relaxed interview, nothing out of the ordinary. If you go back on the forum like half way you could find some gems just saying ;)  And nice good luck keep studying those flash cards! 

Sounds good, I have read through the forum.  So I’m familiar in the questioning.  Just thought I put it out in case of something different.  Thanks!

23 hours ago, Steven trejo said:

Hey guys! Just finished my panel interview! Feeing amazing and relieved :) good luck too all going through the process. We got this ! 

-Steven Trejo 

Great Good luck one step closer   was it a panel or one person ?

I will  post if I get any contact regarding the S&D overview  after the Open House . I don't remember if they gave us any timetable at the Open House. it would be good to keep each other informed.

8 hours ago, Ador said:

I will  post if I get any contact regarding the S&D overview  after the Open House . I don't remember if they gave us any timetable at the Open House. it would be good to keep each other informed.

There isn’t a set timetable, thus they never give one.  It all depends on the classes going on and who passes.  Then they judge their need and go ahead filling the next class(es).  A phase 1 class has commenced recently and I’m sure one ended before that.  They need 12 people that passed 1 to conduct Phase 2.  And from what I understand they pick the higher performers to fill classes first.  Not sure if a phase 2 is currently running but whoever passes from that will dictate what their need will be and what classes to schedule next.  It’s a trickle down effect essentially.  I imagine that the results of this Saturday’s S&D test will also determine when the next S&D class is conducted.  Hope this sheds some light. 

Plus, if there are some more retirements that pop up, it could also create more need.  All throughout this forum it has been said that patience is key.

42 minutes ago, Iwetoddit said:

There isn’t a set timetable, thus they never give one.  It all depends on the classes going on and who passes.  Then they judge their need and go ahead filling the next class(es).  A phase 1 class has commenced recently and I’m sure one ended before that.  They need 12 people that passed 1 to conduct Phase 2.  And from what I understand they pick the higher performers to fill classes first.  Not sure if a phase 2 is currently running but whoever passes from that will dictate what their need will be and what classes to schedule next.  It’s a trickle down effect essentially.  I imagine that the results of this Saturday’s S&D test will also determine when the next S&D class is conducted.  Hope this sheds some light. 

Plus, if there are some more retirements that pop up, it could also create more need.  All throughout this forum it has been said that patience is key.

Thanks for the insight :) I'm currently waiting to be put into phase 1 class 🙏🏼🤞🏽, good luck to all ;) 

@Iwetoddit hows the studying going?  Have you been able to retain all the information effectively? What did you find to be the hardest part to commit to memory? @Steven trejo me and iwetoddit have our s&d exam this Saturday,  if all goes well you very well may see us in your phase 1 class. I'm assuming that they may not have enough qualified candidates to fill the next phase 1 class (I definitely could be wrong) so they may be waiting for the outcome of Saturday's class. I wish everybody luck on the upcoming test, let's all just give them what they want ,  which is qualified engineers. They practically begged our overview class to take this opportunity extremely seriously, I agree, as this is a very rare opportunity and i plan to take full advantage of it. They briefly mentioned how people would show up after basically not studying, which totally blew my mind, to crap away such an opportunity, I just don't get it. 

16 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

@Iwetoddit hows the studying going?  Have you been able to retain all the information effectively? What did you find to be the hardest part to commit to memory? @Steven trejo me and iwetoddit have our s&d exam this Saturday,  if all goes well you very well may see us in your phase 1 class. I'm assuming that they may not have enough qualified candidates to fill the next phase 1 class (I definitely could be wrong) so they may be waiting for the outcome of Saturday's class. I wish everybody luck on the upcoming test, let's all just give them what they want ,  which is qualified engineers. They practically begged our overview class to take this opportunity extremely seriously, I agree, as this is a very rare opportunity and i plan to take full advantage of it. They briefly mentioned how people would show up after basically not studying, which totally blew my mind, to crap away such an opportunity, I just don't get it. 

I asked myself the same thing, why would someone not take this opportunity seriously. I don't understand either, oh well what can we do lol ? And yes good luck , keep studying no matter what and yes I'll see ya in the next phase :) 

24 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

The definitions were by far the most challenging of the study sets.  I’m glad I began with them.  I had read on this forum to do so and it definitely was the way to go.

Signals weren’t as difficult as I had thought and pretty much have them memorized and going through the indications now.  I have 8 indications remaining to learn.  I will say it’s amazing how the mind works after weeks of studying.  It seems to have gotten easier to study, at least for me, as the time progressed.  I’ll be honest that I began to tackle the roadway worker definition yesterday and am feeling pretty confident of knowing it for the exam.  The mind can be a sponge.  That doesn’t mean I don’t practice.  Every chance I get I am practicing on the Quizlet app and I’m still studying 3hrs every night unless I’m off and I have two study sessions of about 2-3 hrs each.

@Lirrdream how are you fairing?  I’m excited and a bit nervous for Saturday.  I can’t let it get to me, must remained steady and true.

38 minutes ago, Iwetoddit said:

The definitions were by far the most challenging of the study sets.  I’m glad I began with them.  I had read on this forum to do so and it definitely was the way to go.

Signals weren’t as difficult as I had thought and pretty much have them memorized and going through the indications now.  I have 8 indications remaining to learn.  I will say it’s amazing how the mind works after weeks of studying.  It seems to have gotten easier to study, at least for me, as the time progressed.  I’ll be honest that I began to tackle the roadway worker definition yesterday and am feeling pretty confident of knowing it for the exam.  The mind can be a sponge.  That doesn’t mean I don’t practice.  Every chance I get I am practicing on the Quizlet app and I’m still studying 3hrs every night unless I’m off and I have two study sessions of about 2-3 hrs each.

@Lirrdream how are you fairing?  I’m excited and a bit nervous for Saturday.  I can’t let it get to me, must remained steady and true.

Try not to study definitions on the quizlet app Bc the wording is different and not updated, just giving you a heads up  don’t want you guys getting confused lol hehe :)

@Iwetoddit I'm absolutely ready to tackle this exam asap. At first I was very nervous based on the amount of information we had to know in 5 weeks, but like you said the brain is an amazing muscle, I know everything at this point and just review everyday after work for a few hours to retain it all. I must admit that I seriously surprised myself. I studied everyday for anywhere from 4 hours to somedays 8 hours, and its weird because it does not feel like tedious work, I actually look forward to going home to study everyday (go figure). Retaining the information definitely got easier as time went on. I'm just ready to take this exam already, what I'm actually kind of worried about is going into the exam overconfident and making a stupid mistake, I have to make sure that I go over the exam multiple times before turning it in.

7 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

@Iwetoddit I'm absolutely ready to tackle this exam asap. At first I was very nervous based on the amount of information we had to know in 5 weeks, but like you said the brain is an amazing muscle, I know everything at this point and just review everyday after work for a few hours to retain it all. I must admit that I seriously surprised myself. I studied everyday for anywhere from 4 hours to somedays 8 hours, and its weird because it does not feel like tedious work, I actually look forward to going home to study everyday (go figure). Retaining the information definitely got easier as time went on. I'm just ready to take this exam already, what I'm actually kind of worried about is going into the exam overconfident and making a stupid mistake, I have to make sure that I go over the exam multiple times before turning it in.

Re read and once your done. Wait like 3-4 minutes to get your mind out of focus then go through the exam with a fine tooth comb for mistakes. Always go with your gut. I caught one mistake. Then corrected it. If you guys think it’s going to get better. It’s going to get worse. Lol. 

Edited by drenyce311

1 hour ago, Steven trejo said:

Try not to study definitions on the quizlet app Bc the wording is different and not updated, just giving you a heads up  don’t want you guys getting confused lol hehe :)

Oh I made sure to check the definitions and ensure they were identical to the booklets.  If not, I made the changes or entered it correctly.  From practice writing tests I was able to double check.  I found one that I had written incorrectly at the beginning. 

1 hour ago, Lirrdream said:

I too don’t want to be overconfident.  That’s why I still practice daily plus didn’t learn everything too early.  Must keep the mind active and learning fresh items.  As said, it got easier moving along to absorb.

1 hour ago, drenyce311 said:

Re read and once your done. Wait like 3-4 minutes to get your mind out of focus then go through the exam with a fine tooth comb for mistakes. Always go with your gut. I caught one mistake. Then corrected it. If you guys think it’s going to get better. It’s going to get worse. Lol. 

Thanks @drenyce311 I’m definitely going to take my time and recheck everything.  And the instructor mentioned how it’s get harder and this is nothing compared to what’s ahead, lol.  It’s definitely hard work but not impossible.  The benefits will outweigh the toiling. 

1 hour ago, Iwetoddit said:

Oh I made sure to check the definitions and ensure they were identical to the booklets.  If not, I made the changes or entered it correctly.  From practice writing tests I was able to double check.  I found one that I had written incorrectly at the beginning. 

I too don’t want to be overconfident.  That’s why I still practice daily plus didn’t learn everything too early.  Must keep the mind active and learning fresh items.  As said, it got easier moving along to absorb.

Thanks @drenyce311 I’m definitely going to take my time and recheck everything.  And the instructor mentioned how it’s get harder and this is nothing compared to what’s ahead, lol.  It’s definitely hard work but not impossible.  The benefits will outweigh the toiling. 

Of course it’s not impossible. It’s not impossible to fail out as well. So far one in each class this year has failed out in the final. Gotta be on top of the studying. Could be nerves, bad test takers.