LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi I just did the open house at Long  Islands railroad  hillside support facility. I think the vocabulary test and the cognitive test. then we wereseated outside in the lobby  Area while they graded the papers. if you are callef in to review your application and answer questions by a human resources representative does that mean you passed the test. Friends of mine that have taken this test before and they fail stated they were just told they failed and good luck in your endeavors. They were not given some sort of interview so again my question is that I pass or am I just hoping for the best.

4 hours ago, Stephen becker said:

Hi I just did the open house at Long  Islands railroad  hillside support facility. I think the vocabulary test and the cognitive test. then we wereseated outside in the lobby  Area while they graded the papers. if you are callef in to review your application and answer questions by a human resources representative does that mean you passed the test. Friends of mine that have taken this test before and they fail stated they were just told they failed and good luck in your endeavors. They were not given some sort of interview so again my question is that I pass or am I just hoping for the best.

If you got interviewed by HR after the Cognitive Test, you passed. If you didn’t you were sent home right away. 

21 hours ago, Jsunflyguy said:

Glad you guys made it through. Starting the 6 month now, it feels like its been so long!

Starting review for the interims now? The second 6 months of the program are gonna feel like nothing...keep studying. The last 6 go by fast....

21 hours ago, Lirrdream said:

@MistaFISH congrats. I can't imagine how you must feel, finally getting that "green card". Who knows, you very well may be a mentor of mine later down the road hopefully once I get to that piont. Was phase 2's on the job training more to your liking over strictly classroom training? 

Thank you. It's difficult to describe how it feels. I'm glad it's over. The program is rough...just like Dre says...emotional roller coaster, that's if you do it right anyway. My walls were covered in maps...i was constantly studying SOMETHING. 

Of course phase2 was better bc you actually operate trains and don't just sit in a classroom. But for the most part, you have to study on your own. Everyday, whenever you can. 

So organization is a MUST. You get together for evaluations and review and whatnot, but for the most part, you're drawing all that shit SOLO. Also keeping up with rules, signals and definitions. And let's not forget AIR BRAKE. 

19 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

If you got interviewed by HR after the Cognitive Test, you passed. If you didn’t you were sent home right away. 

Thanks that makes me feel a whole lot better again at  The preliminary interview with HR she asked me a bunch of questions I asked if I passed or failed and she told me Lucille Maranao would let me know either way but I don't think they would go through this or waste their time if I wasn't going on to the next  Step. Thanks again for your input

1 hour ago, Stephen becker said:

Thanks that makes me feel a whole lot better again at  The preliminary interview with HR she asked me a bunch of questions I asked if I passed or failed and she told me Lucille Maranao would let me know either way but I don't think they would go through this or waste their time if I wasn't going on to the next  Step. Thanks again for your input

Congrats! Now it's a waiting game see ya in class 🤓

6 minutes ago, Stevend258 said:

Has anyone gotten called for phase 1 that’s supposed to start in September ?

Nothing yet.  I imagine it will be like the other emails/notifications.  Sent out about two weeks before the start date.  And that’s if we are selected. 

16 hours ago, Lirrdream said:

@drenyce311 have you heard an approximate date for the next phase one class? Does it usually start towards the beginning or end of September? 

It Varys. Could be either one. All depends on the next graduating class. Usually about 2-3 months before they graduate a new phase 1 starts. 

Hello  Everyone, I recently took the Long Island railroad locomotive engineers exam on the open house that was on Monday 7/29/2019. This was held at the hillside support facility. After we all signed in we took our spaces we had an overview of what the job entails then we were given the vocabulary test 1st then the cognitive test which was 3 parts. After we finished the tests we were told to sit out in the lobby and wait. I was the 2nd one to be called and when I was called I was brought back into the same Room that we had the testing and spoke to the human resources representative. She told me to have a seat she took out my application ,she took out my resume And on the top was a paper with what looked like to be my score of the test I took. She then pulled out a piece of paper that looked like a questionnaire. She then started asking me different types of questions about safety  And if I was mechanically inclined . I was also asked to give a situation that had to do with safety. Also how would I handle a very highly fast paced situation. I was also asked how do I prepare myself to be on time for work every day. Also a question about the mission statement of the Long Island railroad  That you basically were given the answer to in the overview. After all this was said and done I was told that I was free to go I then asked if I passed or failed the exam? I was told that Lucille marando the human resources director that was there with us that day will get back to me on that. I was not given and answer whether I passed or failed. My question is to the people that have taken this exam before does this mean I passed or do they just interview everyone and go through everyone's application as protocol. Common sense would say I don't think they would waste their time on all these applicants if you did not pass

So before I have a heart attack and worry myself to death please let me know what I should expect . Does this mean that I passed or does this mean that I failed or does this mean they just do this the everyone.  Thanks.