(7) line extension to 34 Street-Hudson Yards station opening day saga continues...

Union Tpke

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the news:

One of the escalators went down around 5:39am today, and is expected back up by Wednesday 10am -- handrail came off track, and contractor is doing some fine-tuning.  MTA says "It's normal for new escalators to do this when being broken in."  Hmmmm, never heard of that when shopping malls open.  (And, yep, it's on the list at mta.info)

Anyone know of the workers that got stuck in one of the elevators during Sunday's festivities?  FDNY supposedly had to do the rescue.

Question about the tracks south of 34th street .. They go as far as 25th street correct? So there are switches south of 34th street station? I heard someone say they have more flexibility and could run more trains for rush hour. So unload at the station run south and reverse back? kind of like the (4)(D) terminals @ 205, Utica and I think 179th as well on the (F) are there any track maps? 

Question about the tracks south of 34th street .. They go as far as 25th street correct? So there are switches south of 34th street station? I heard someone say they have more flexibility and could run more trains for rush hour. So unload at the station run south and reverse back? kind of like the (4)(D) terminals @ 205, Utica and I think 179th as well on the (F) are there any track maps?

Yep the 34 st station has crossovers north and south of the station and the south tracks are used for storage since Corona us running out of space for more trains.

If they wanted to, they can. With tracks that don't end on bumper blocks, coupled with the longer high-speed switches (compared to diamond crossovers used elsewhere) north of the station, trains can come into the station faster. Not full speed fast, but fast enough.

And with a line that supposedly turns trains back every 90 seconds during the rush, its a big improvement since every second counts.

Old and new South Ferry Stations is on top of each other.

Old SF is on top, then below that is the Joralemon tubes approach, then the (R) & Montague tunnel approach, followed by new SF

If they wanted to, they can. With tracks that don't end on bumper blocks, coupled with the longer high-speed switches (compared to diamond crossovers used elsewhere) north of the station, trains can come into the station faster. Not full speed fast, but fast enough.

And with a line that supposedly turns trains back every 90 seconds during the rush, its a big improvement since every second counts.

Old SF is on top, then below that is the Joralemon tubes approach, then the (R) & Montague tunnel approach, followed by new SF

What's the depth on the new South Ferry platforms? 50-60 feet?

Well it was early Monday morning and some maybe had to rest & prepare for work or school.

Actually, I believe except for Catholic schools, most were closed today (Monday) for Rosh Hashanah and will be tomorrow (Tuesday) as well.  Many also likely took off for that as well.  You also had those who likely went to work late due to the Giants playing on Sunday Night Football last night. 

Somewhere around that depth

Alot of complex work there i'm sure there was a lot of underpinning and foundation shoring especially with the Joralemon tubes.  The 34th street station is down there as well. Right out of Times Sqaure I immediately felt the downgrade. I could be off felt like a at least 2% downgrade. What's the depth on the Hudson Yards station? 100+ feet down?

Well, those tail tracks could become another extension for the (7) line.

Yes, most likely for now to a station that would run from 28th-30th Streets if as some have suggested in about a decade a new Madison Square Garden is built from 28th-30th Streets and 9th-10th Avenues.

And for the person who noted about the 41st/10th station that was left out, that is well known to just about everyone here.  It was noted in fact in some articles the city could not come up with the money for that station in part because Sheldon Silver would have objected out of fears it would have derailed the SAS from what I was reading on that elsewhere.   As said before on that station, the Port Authority should have chipped in to make that station happen, especially if such included an entrance/exit to the PA on 9th/41st.

Yes, most likely for now to a station that would run from 28th-30th Streets if as some have suggested in about a decade a new Madison Square Garden is built from 28th-30th Streets and 9th-10th Avenues.

And for the person who noted about the 41st/10th station that was left out, that is well known to just about everyone here.  It was noted in fact in some articles the city could not come up with the money for that station in part because Sheldon Silver would have objected out of fears it would have derailed the SAS from what I was reading on that elsewhere.   As said before on that station, the Port Authority should have chipped in to make that station happen, especially if such included an entrance/exit to the PA on 9th/41st.

No Station on 23rd street?

Some people I encountered today were wondering the same thing. If any extension were to happen, it would take a few decades before any extension is gonna be seen, let it be down near Abingdon Sq or to Secaucus of NJ.

I don't know if New York has a few more decades. If we want to stay competitive on the global stage if we want to keep business here things have start moving and getting done.   

Is the bottom portion of Hudson Yards being used as trains for layup?

Yes sir.

I don't know if New York has a few more decades. If we want to stay competitive on the global stage if we want to keep business here things have start moving and getting done.

Ehh...there could be a possible extension that could happen soon, but the reason I say a few decades is because look at how long it took for the newest station in the system to open for business. Another reason is because some people in NJ rather fung the gateway project than the (7) extension and tbh not much is on 11th av except the piers, Javits/Hudson area, and the High line. Unless there are some other landmarks south of Hudson Yards I am forgetting.

Yes sir.

Ehh...there could be a possible extension that could happen soon, but the reason I say a few decades is because look at how long it took for the newest station in the system to open for business. Another reason is because some people in NJ rather fung the gateway project than the (7) extension and tbh not much is on 11th av except the piers, Javits/Hudson area, and the High line. Unless there are some other landmarks south of Hudson Yards I am forgetting.

Chelsea and the Meat Packing are pretty vibrant area's overall there's some ridership to be had. I concur it took way to long for this one station extension for the (7) but the rules are changing as well as the pace.. You have businesses buying into a area like Hudson Yard because of access. Without adequate access what's the incentive to start and keep my businesses here if I can't get my workers to or from work.  Same if I live here without options to get around. New York in the 21st century has to compete with Cities here at home and aboard. Were at 2020-2021 population levels now somehow planners didn't see this? New York's going to have to step up in a major way or lose business and population. There is no maybe it's yes or no to be honest.

It's a pretty bad idea since New Jersey does not, and is probably not going to, fund the MTA through the various taxes and surcharges that taxpayers in New York from Dutchess to Queens to Suffolk pay. There's no reason why New Jersey should get more capital money than those three counties, even though they've paid their fair share for more than 50 years.

Archived