(7) line extension to 34 Street-Hudson Yards station opening day saga continues...

Union Tpke

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its Nice to see the first physical extension of the system since 1989 (F-63 st line) but Just my 2 cents real quik....

1. Looking at it on the map really brings out the fact that a stop should have been built at 10 av/41 st...whatever the cost...they took it away and it STILL took 8 years to get to opening day...im sure we cudve waited 2 more years for the additional stop..

2. Eventually the 7 AND the L need to be extended to meet at 23 Street/11 Avenue On the Far West side...Chelsea piers,New development..

3.I Dont see this station spurring much ridership simply Cuz aint Svit over there besides the javits center until at least 10 years from now (at the rate that we build).. when the "Hudson Yards" vision is  fully realized...None the less tho...Any expansion is Good For Us...So Kudos to the MTA for gettin it done...Next Mission...Q Service to 125/Lex Along 2 Avenue...

Its Nice to see the first physical extension of the system since 1989 (F-63 st line) but Just my 2 cents real quik....

1. Looking at it on the map really brings out the fact that a stop should have been built at 10 av/41 st...whatever the cost...they took it away and it STILL took 8 years to get to opening day...im sure we cudve waited 2 more years for the additional stop..

2. Eventually the 7 AND the L need to be extended to meet at 23 Street/11 Avenue On the Far West side...Chelsea piers,New development..

3.I Dont see this station spurring much ridership simply Cuz aint Svit over there besides the javits center until at least 10 years from now (at the rate that we build).. when the "Hudson Yards" vision is  fully realized...None the less tho...Any expansion is Good For Us...So Kudos to the MTA for gettin it done...Next Mission...Q Service to 125/Lex Along 2 Avenue...

Mega/Boltbus drops/picks up over there.... so that's another ridership draw in addition to Javits Center.

Also one of the Hudson Yards tower is supposed to be competed this year.

3.I Dont see this station spurring much ridership simply Cuz aint Svit over there besides the javits center until at least 10 years from now (at the rate that we build).. when the "Hudson Yards" vision is fully realized...None the less tho...Any expansion is Good For Us...So Kudos to the MTA for gettin it done...Next Mission...Q Service to 125/Lex Along 2 Avenue...

I agree that they should have made that 10th Ave station but I don't think the (7) and (L) need to meet. What I think the MTA should do is find a way to connect the (7) to the mainline IRT such as the 7th Ave line or the Lexington Ave line. That will make sending trains to Coney Island for maintenance work or whatever much easier.

Sending the (7) to Coney Island is not that hard... From 111th, you continue to the QBL interlockings, wrong rail onto the Astoria bound BMT track, use the switch west of QBL to move to the Manhattan-bound BMT track, and it's a straight shot down to Coney Island...

Now, sending them to 207th is a different story.

Now, let me get this straight one last time:

When is the station suppose to open to the public? And I dont mean when the first train arrives when can you actually go inside?

How about you stake out the station entrance tonight and see what happens lol.

When ever the official stuff is done is when it will open and it does not matter if you are the first into the station it is just a station.  The opening of a new station should not be a big event for railfans to try to show up at.

While trying to be the first at the station is a stupid idea, what exactly makes you say that railfans should not try to be at the grand opening of a station? That is a pretty significant event, and these people want to be on hand to document transit history in the making.

While trying to be the first at the station is a stupid idea, what exactly makes you say that railfans should not try to be at the grand opening of a station? That is a pretty significant event, and these people want to be on hand to document transit history in the making.

What i meant was that railfans need to behave at stuff like this and we all know that there are those who cannot behave.

TBH, I thought that they would've at least connected the uptown and downtown tracks to the lower level at 42 St so that the (7) has an easy access to 207 St Yard.

42 St lower level was cut through in order to extend the (7). Not to mention that all tracks leading to the lower level had already been out of commission for quite a while (1999) before they started work on the extension.

Archived