(7) line extension to 34 Street-Hudson Yards station opening day saga continues...

Union Tpke

The US is a federation of states that were sovereign before the creation of this country. The federal government does not have the power to reorganize states, nor should it have such power.

The solution is NJ waking the f*** up and pulling their heads out of their asses, and actually raising their super-low gas tax to pay for their transportation projects. They have a subway in New Jersey and it's called PATH.

You say that with such conviction never say never you never know what the world might look like in another century. I guess time will tell the story better then we can. I agree again, but we both know States and politicians aren't going to change anything without being forced. Offices being filled not by thinkers and problem solvers, but lawyers and captains of the debate team there lies the problem.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we wanted to solve growing population and transit accessibility, we'd put the money into extending it into working-class neighborhoods in the outer boroughs that have room to grow, not some developer's wet dream of a gentrifying artsy neighborhood. There is no reason why we should be shoveling billions of dollars into Manhattan transit when most of the growth is not occurring there; Hudson Yards may have stoked development, but to justify $2B in a 7 Line Extension, we had to shovel tax breaks at corporations to convince them to move to the middle of nowhere.  To put this in perspective, that is half of the cost of the SAS Phase I, which is brand new tunnel and stations for 30 blocks.

Indeed. Utica, Nostrand just to name afew. The (7) already runs to 25th street thus the origin of the discussion on my end. I don't know how far $2B could stretch in outlying Brooklyn as opposed to the crowded maze of Manhattan. That could pay for 5 or 6 stations. But it seems as if the voice and push is in the heart of the city. Maybe part of the solution is getting more thinkers like yourself in positions of power to make change? :Shurgs: I operate on question everything. We're on a rock orbiting a Star floating somewhere in a abyss. After all a person no smarter than us set this all up. It's all up for question when you think of it that way.  B-)

You say that with such conviction never say never you never know what the world might look like in another century. I guess time will tell the story better then we can. I agree again, but we both know States and politicians aren't going to change anything without being forced. Offices being filled not by thinkers and problem solvers, but lawyers and captains of the debate team there lies the problem.

The last time the states and federal government tried to renegotiate their relationship, we had 600,000 casualties in the largest war in American history. It's not about to happen again.

Indeed. Utica, Nostrand just to name afew. The (7) already runs to 25th street thus the origin of the discussion on my end. I don't know how far $2B could stretch in outlying Brooklyn as opposed to the crowded maze of Manhattan. That could pay for 5 or 6 stations. But it seems as if the voice and push is in the heart of the city. Maybe part of the solution is getting more thinkers like yourself in positions of power to make change? :Shurgs: I operate on question everything. We're on a rock orbiting a Star floating somewhere in a abyss. After all a person no smarter than us set this all up. It's all up for question when you think of it that way.  B-)

The only reason the 7 Line extension got built in the first place is because Bloomberg had a huge thing for flashy real-estate developments, and had a big enough ego to attempt putting NYC in the running for the 2012 Olympics. The only other projects are in Manhattan for various reasons; SAS and ESA are needed core expansions since we can't expand further without expanding core capacity first, while South Ferry, WTC Hub and Fulton Center were built with 9/11 recovery and stimulus money. If/when the full SAS comes online, then we will have enough track capacity to bring more trains into the outer boroughs, and we should shift our focuses appropriately. Indeed, politicians are already calling for the extension of the (A) to Fordham Plaza and the (4) to Kings Plaza.

The last time the states and federal government tried to renegotiate their relationship, we had 600,000 casualties in the largest war in American history. It's not about to happen again.

The only reason the 7 Line extension got built in the first place is because Bloomberg had a huge thing for flashy real-estate developments, and had a big enough ego to attempt putting NYC in the running for the 2012 Olympics. The only other projects are in Manhattan for various reasons; SAS and ESA are needed core expansions since we can't expand further without expanding core capacity first, while South Ferry, WTC Hub and Fulton Center were built with 9/11 recovery and stimulus money. If/when the full SAS comes online, then we will have enough track capacity to bring more trains into the outer boroughs, and we should shift our focuses appropriately. Indeed, politicians are already calling for the extension of the (A) to Fordham Plaza and the (4) to Kings Plaza.

Sharp as a tack! and on target. Let's hope your right. Our culture isn't exactly keen on looking to the past let alone learning from past mistakes. All valid points what more can I say?  I concur. 

I wonder how this is going to affect foot traffic going to and from the Javitz Center during events like Comic Con and the NY Auto Show. Do you think the majority will switch to the (7)<7> or still continue to walk from stations on the Broadway, 6, 7, & 8th Ave lines?

Also, do you think that M34 SBS patronage will decrease? (I remember last year people were trying to use the M34 instead of walking, but the bus wasn't frequent ,the line for the machine @ 11th ave was horrendous, the bus wouldn't wait for anyone and it was also stuck in traffic. People walking would beat the bus to and from 8th Ave.)

Technically they can extend the (7)<7> to Chelsea Piers then across to NJ. They should also extend the (L) up to Lincoln Center or 72nd street & Broadway

I would have it go to south ferry. 

I would have a 10th Avenue trunk line (4 tracks), and an 11th Avenue trunk (2 tracks).

The 10th Ave Line on the north end would have an 86th Street crosstown running down Broadway and Northern Blvds in Queens, there would be a crosstown line via 50th Street, and merging in with the 34th Street crosstown, which would have trains running down 11th and to NJ, and then running via a four track route via the LIE that would desperately relieve crowding on the QBL and on the (7). The 11th Avenue Line would have trains running via 34th and 42nd. The 10th and 11th Avenue Lines would meet at a junction similar to West 4th at 14th Street. Some trains would run via 14th Street, one train would run via the 8th Avenue Line merging in after Canal. You wouldn't understand why until you see my whole plan. Two trains would run via the Brooklyn Bridge and Myrtle Avenue in brooklyn and then via Union Tpke. One train would run in a tunnel with the (1) to SI with no stations shared. I know this is weird, but in the case that a (1) train can't run via a seperate route in SI due to a switch malfunction, there would be special layup tracks in the case of that.

If only we could have a subway line extension of some type in Queens. All the recent extensions after 1988 happened in Manhattan. Seems like Jamaica Center is a good as it gets for the (E)(J)(Z).

I was wondering if we can get some type of express service along Hillside. Like the (F) after 71st is local and the (M) runs express after to 179th.

If only we could have a subway line extension of some type in Queens. All the recent extensions after 1988 happened in Manhattan. Seems like Jamaica Center is a good as it gets for the (E)(J)(Z).

I was wondering if we can get some type of express service along Hillside. Like the (F) after 71st is local and the (M) runs express after to 179th.

i agree with the extensions, but your (F)/(M) proposal would mean severe switching delays.

i agree with the extensions, but your (F)/(M) proposal would mean severe switching delays.

Switching delays would be the least of your problems...

Let's say for all intents & purposes they go ahead with this. (F) becomes the daytime Hillside express and the (M) would be the local. Right off the back, the (M) would be delayed because of the (R) at 71 Av. Having a through train and a terminating train on the same track is gonna be a nightmare.

Switching delays would be the least of your problems...

Let's say for all intents & purposes they go ahead with this. (F) becomes the daytime Hillside express and the (M) would be the local. Right off the back, the (M) would be delayed because of the (R) at 71 Av. Having a through train and a terminating train on the same track is gonna be a nightmare.

It already is a nightmare, there is a back-up into 71st Ave every night. Sometimes you can see a train being held in every station from Roosevelt Ave to 71st Ave when passing by on the (E) or (F)

I really believe that the (E)(J)(Z) should be extended East, to Francis Lewis Bl, or aleast to 188 St and build a bigger terminal there.

I really believe that the (E)(J)(Z) should be extended East, to Francis Lewis Bl, or aleast to 188 St and build a bigger terminal there.

The (E), (J), (Z) should be extended south. If anything needs to go east, it's the (F); it's way easier for buses to feed into subway stations on Hillside than it is for them to feed into stations on Jamaica Av. Hillside/Springfield is so large that it would be perfect for a large terminal setup.

Extend the (7) Down 11th avenue/west street with <7> service and build a new bridge that connects Manhattan and staten island, and make the (7) train also run over it, making it go to staten island.

Boam.

Right there, best plan ever.

Lol do you realize how long that bridge would have to be

The  (E)(J)(Z) should be extended south. If anything needs to go east, it's the  (F); it's way easier for buses to feed into subway stations on Hillside than it is for them to feed into stations on Jamaica Av. Hillside/Springfield is so large that it would be perfect for a large terminal setup.

Responding to this in the Proposals/Ideas thread.

Extend the (7) Down 11th avenue/west street with <7> service and build a new bridge that connects Manhattan and staten island, and make the (7) train also run over it, making it go to staten island.

Boam.

Right there, best plan ever.

That's what the S I ferry is for. The most that could happen with this extension is the (7) to South Ferry.

From amNewYork:

Ridership below prediction at new 7 train station: http://www.amny.com/transit/ridership-below-prediction-at-new-7-train-station-1.10874281

Duh, there's nothing over there! It'll see a bump during Comic Con in a couple of weeks.

True, but also a lot of people who have to work through the summer OR schedule off time around the religious holidays are off, especially this year with how the religious holidays fall (some who observe Succoth after Yom Kippur are taking off until October 7 if they can).

From amNewYork:

Ridership below prediction at new 7 train station: http://www.amny.com/transit/ridership-below-prediction-at-new-7-train-station-1.10874281

Duh, there's nothing over there! It'll see a bump during Comic Con in a couple of weeks.

They should promote it to Boltbus/Megabus riders, if most of them use the (7) station it could get descent ridership until the Hudson Yards towers open...

Archived