New Reminders For The New Year

MTA Dude

"Courtesy Counts, Manners Make a Better Ride" is the message the MTA is trying to get across to customers who ride the trains and buses. MTA NYC Transit is unveiling a new placard campaign which urges customers to be aware that just a few courteous actions can make the ride more efficient while creating an atmosphere that can make a daily commute more pleasant and less stressful.

In January, a series of placards will begin appearing inside subway cars and then buses and the commuter railroads in February. They will bear gentle, but firm reminders pointing out common courtesies that can make traveling by mass transit more enjoyable for everyone. The messages serve to remind the MTA’s 8.6 million daily customers that they can help make the trip quicker and more pleasant by demonstrating a personal, consistent commitment to courtesy.

“Courtesy is always important but it takes on an added significance as transit ridership continues to increase,” said NYC Transit President Carmen Bianco. “The simple act of stepping aside to let riders off the train before you board can trim valuable seconds from the time a train dwells in a station while removing a backpack makes more room for everyone. These acts serve to speed the trip while increasing the level of comfort.”

The new program, developed by MTA Corporate Communications, highlights behaviors that are both encouraged and discouraged for the benefit of everyone. The messaging largely reflects complaints and suggestions from riders.

The colorfully-designed placards employ simple graphics to illustrate behavioral “do” and “don’t” scenarios. The illustrations are reinforced with pithy statements.

Read more: http://www.mta.info/news-new-york-city-transit-subway-bus-courtesy/2014/12/22/standing-clear-doors-removing-backpacks

They do this... Some line promotion posters would be nice. 

What is it with your fixation with line promotion posters? Why do any lines need promoting? None are exactly "unpopular"...

You know how the (3) is more crowded than the (2), right? People are always going for the (2) for some reason. How about encouraging people to take the (3) so crowds can be balanced out? There are some dumb tourists that do that, you know. My parents used to be one before I came in and became the transit guide of the family. And I can name you some other examples of that.

(N) and (R) in Manhattan.

(E) and (J) to get to Lower Manhattan.

(B) and (D) in Manhattan and maybe Bronx.

(E) and (F) when getting to places like W4 and transfer to (B)(D)(N)(Q)(R).

And I'll admit, I am a little fixed to my idea.

I doubt it's an issue of whether or not these people know that these lines exist. If anything, it might be a matter of convenience... i.e. which train arrives first. If I had two options that would take me to the exact same place, why would I wait for a train to arrive if one is already there?

As for lines that don't share physical trackage... taking what's closer would make more sense to me. Point is, there's a lot of factors that could influence people's line choices that have nothing to do with them being oblivious to the lesser crowded train.

What is it with your fixation with line promotion posters? Why do any lines need promoting? None are exactly "unpopular"...

The thing is the riders on some lines are more rude than others.  It may sound like a joke but it's true.  For example on the (4)(5)(6) people stand to the side and let you get off before they start trying to get on, which is what they're supposed to do. I find the riders on the (B)(D) and the (1)(2)(3) lines to be incredibly rude.  They act like animals.  One guy was such an a-hole that I practically shoved him off of the train.  Running up on me when I'm trying to get off, so I just shoved him out of my way and he didn't react either because he was in the wrong #1 and #2 I was ready for him to come at me with any BS.  No damn manners whatsoever.

The thing is the riders on some lines are more rude than others.  It may sound like a joke but it's true.  For example on the (4)(5)(6) people stand to the side and let you get off before they start trying to get on, which is what they're supposed to do. I find the riders on the (B)(D) and the (1)(2)(3) lines to be incredibly rude.  They act like animals.  One guy was such an a-hole that I practically shoved him off of the train.  Running up on me when I'm trying to get off, so I just shoved him out of my way and he didn't react either because he was in the wrong #1 and #2 I was ready for him to come at me with any BS.  No damn manners whatsoever.

I don't know about you, every single line I've taken had t heir share of rude passengers. So it's not really a thing of riders being more rude on specific lines. Every (4) and (5) I've taken in the morning, they don't move for anything.

You know how the (3) is more crowded than the (2), right? People are always going for the (2) for some reason. How about encouraging people to take the (3) so crowds can be balanced out? 

Virtually everybody traveling between 135th and Franklin takes whichever comes first, unless it's too crowded to fit onto.

Heading downtown, the 2 is already crowded from all of its stops in the Bronx before it reaches 135th, while the 3 has only picked people up at two stops. Naturally, as the train proceeds through Manhattan, the 2 will be more crowded than the 3. And heading uptown, anybody who needs to get to the Bronx will wait for the 2 even if the 3 comes first, while anybody traveling within Manhattan will take whichever comes first - so, again, the 2 will be more crowded.

You can advertise the 3 all you like, but it's not going to attract people who have no use for it, and it already attracts the people who do.

I don't know about you, every single line I've taken had t heir share of rude passengers. So it's not really a thing of riders being more rude on specific lines. Every (4) and (5) I've taken in the morning, they don't move for anything.

Actually it is a thing about riders being more rude on specific lines... The (4)(5) has more professional types hence more folks with manners.  Every line has their fair share of rude folks but I think the (B)(D)(1)(2)(3) takes the cake.  And let me not forget the (7) , where they think that pushing and shoving to get on the damn train is the norm... <_<

Personally, I feel that this is more of an Express vs Local + Safety issue...

Also the  (E) keeps it moving at a good clip basically its entire route, where's the  (J)  has several slow points, the curve around Crescent Street, between Alabama and Broadway Junction, the coming off the WillyB, etc.

Not to mention, in general (E) stations are in much better physical shape than the (J), and the (E) serves Midtown...

As someone who rode the (E) every day end-to-end, the amount of people who ride from Sutphin/Archer to WTC (which is the closest downtown station to the (J) at any point is not very big.

I'm of the opinion that the 2 has some of the worst behaved riders in the entire system.

Ride the line between 12am-4am on a Friday or Saturday night, and you'll see exactly what I mean.

It's the PARTY train, MAN!

Sarcasm aside, I've had the pleasure (?) I've commuting on the (2) at 2:30 AM the past Friday nights, and it's one of those experiences that makes you wonder how much of a raise you'd need to call up Uber...

Actually it is a thing about riders being more rude on specific lines... The (4)(5) has more professional types hence more folks with manners. Every line has their fair share of rude folks but I think the (B)(D)(1)(2)(3) takes the cake. And let me not forget the (7) , where they think that pushing and shoving to get on the damn train is the norm... <_<

I used the Lex when I was working in Yonkers...professional my ass

...ESPECIALLY in the midtown area. People pushing to get on before others even have a chance to get off the train. Which is why I took Metro-North half the time

I used the Lex when I was working in Yonkers...professional my ass

...ESPECIALLY in the midtown area. People pushing to get on before others even have a chance to get off the train. Which is why I took Metro-North half the time

Well I NEVER use the (4)(5)(6) during the rush... Off hours it's perfectly fine.  What you described happens with ALL lines when the trains are crushloaded.

I've used the (4) and (6) during mornings, rush hours, late nights, after hours, evenings, you name it. Professional my ass, no one ever moves on those trains. I "accidentally" knocked over this woman's phone because her "professional" self didn't want to move over when I said excuse me.

No, I don't agree that the Lexington has professional manners as you claim they have.

Virtually everybody traveling between 135th and Franklin takes whichever comes first, unless it's too crowded to fit onto.

Heading downtown, the 2 is already crowded from all of its stops in the Bronx before it reaches 135th, while the 3 has only picked people up at two stops. Naturally, as the train proceeds through Manhattan, the 2 will be more crowded than the 3. And heading uptown, anybody who needs to get to the Bronx will wait for the 2 even if the 3 comes first, while anybody traveling within Manhattan will take whichever comes first - so, again, the 2 will be more crowded.

You can advertise the 3 all you like, but it's not going to attract people who have no use for it, and it already attracts the people who do.

You hit the nail on the spot.

I'm of the opinion that the 2 has some of the worst behaved riders in the entire system.

Ride the line between 12am-4am on a Friday or Saturday night, and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Please... Just ride the (2) above 96th street ANYTIME of the day or in the Bronx and you'll be in for a show. <_<

It's the PARTY train, MAN!

Sarcasm aside, I've had the pleasure (?) I've commuting on the (2) at 2:30 AM the past Friday nights, and it's one of those experiences that makes you wonder how much of a raise you'd need to call up Uber...

It's true. That train at night is unbelievable. You get a lot of freaks and extra terrestrials. Last summer before I figured a better route home, I would ride the two to Manhattan to catch another train home. At 174st southbound this straight dime piece gets on the train, only she's wearing a tiny blouse and a straight up sparkling 1970's looking vintage bikini type thing. Not a bad sight for sore eyes but I'm like WTF really!? She was all acting like "why people looking at me?"

Then on Simpson street The Warriors get on. Then you get your loud mouth teens coming home from doing nothing and talking about anything and everything that isn't important. A lot of odd looking homeless people on the train too.

Please it happens on weekends too. There's no subway line that has perfect people

Of course it does... It's CROWDED on the weekends... Hello... <_<

It's true. That train at night is unbelievable. You get a lot of freaks and extra terrestrials. Last summer before I figured a better route home, I would ride the two to Manhattan to catch another train home. At 174st southbound this straight dime piece gets on the train, only she's wearing a tiny blouse and a straight up sparkling 1970's looking vintage bikini type thing. Not a bad sight for sore eyes but I'm like WTF really!? She was all acting like "why people looking at me?"

Then on Simpson street The Warriors get on. Then you get your loud mouth teens coming home from doing nothing and talking about anything and everything that isn't important. A lot of odd looking homeless people on the train too.

Not to mention the one thousand stops...

You know how the (3) is more crowded than the (2), right? People are always going for the (2) for some reason. How about encouraging people to take the (3) so crowds can be balanced out? There are some dumb tourists that do that, you know. My parents used to be one before I came in and became the transit guide of the family. And I can name you some other examples of that.

(N) and (R) in Manhattan.

(E) and (J) to get to Lower Manhattan.

(B) and (D) in Manhattan and maybe Bronx.

(E) and (F) when getting to places like W4 and transfer to (B)(D)(N)(Q)(R).

And I'll admit, I am a little fixed to my idea.

Wait... What??

How can you claim the 3 is more crowded than the 2, but then claim people are always going for the 2 & that the 3 needs be to encouraged so crowds can be balanced out?

Furthermore, this stuff about underpromotion you're trying to speak into existence, simply isn't the case... Your other "examples" are making a point out of local vs express service....

If you're trying to draw a parallel between local subway service is being underpromoted, then you couldn't be any more wrong... Within the subway system, there is no heralding or exalting of one subway line over the other.... The N isn't promoted more than the R, the E isn't promoted more than the J, the D sure as hell isn't more promoted than the B, the E isn't more promoted than the F.....

....and the 2 isn't more promoted more than the 3.

If you want to make the point that crowding should be balanced b/w local subway service & express subway service, then just say that... Instead of this nonsense about underpromotion within the subway system....

Personally, I feel that this is more of an Express vs Local + Safety issue...

Every single one of those "examples" were....

This is true, up to a point. In the morning I see people get off the (2) at 135 St to wait for the (3). Me, I take the (3) whenever possible, and the (2) only if I'm pressed for time.

And that's why I would wait to get on the (3). I believe that they're going from Brooklyn to Bronx and vice versa. I hardly ever see or hear rowdiness on the (3).

Wait... What??

How can you claim the 3 is more crowded than the 2, but then claim people are always going for the 2 & that the 3 needs be to encouraged so crowds can be balanced out?

Furthermore, this stuff about underpromotion you're trying to speak into existence, simply isn't the case... Your other "examples" are making a point out of local vs express service....

If you're trying to draw a parallel between local subway service is being underpromoted, then you couldn't be any more wrong... Within the subway system, there is no heralding or exalting of one subway line over the other.... The N isn't promoted more than the R, the E isn't promoted more than the J, the D sure as hell isn't more promoted than the B, the E isn't more promoted than the F.....

....and the 2 isn't more promoted more than the 3.

I think he meant that the (3) is less crowded than the (2).

Most of what you've said is true, except for the (E). That line has been promoted from the start of the AirTrain. What also makes the (E) more crowded is that on Sutphin, the (E) is upper level and goes to Midtown, and the (F) is a few blocks away. It's basically a matter of convenience for some riders.

Archived