MTA Bus Operations: Scrapped Equipment List

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/5/2021 at 11:02 AM, Snorunts said:

I am not believing it until it is off the roster, someone spots it being towed out of the depot or sees it in EC. If I could look at a source or some pictures, maybe it would be a different story.

Last day of service for 4331 was the 28th of August, chances are it is done.

And seeing as Transbusfan actually works there, I'd take his word for it. Once parts like that are taken off, chances are it's being parted out and prepped for scrap.

Edited by Cait Sith

36 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

There's a rumor going around that the recently retired flipdot MCI's might return to SI to replace the destroyed Prevosts.

Those 2002's don't need to be re-powered and put back into service, and besides if they really want to replace some of those prevosts that were damaged I'd take a few for the current Meredith Avenue supply (since they already have 1557-1586 and more coming in)  and possibly some from Ulmer Park to send to Castelton. UP express routes don't carry much mileage unlike the Staten Island ones..

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

There's a rumor going around that the recently retired flipdot MCI's might return to SI to replace the destroyed Prevosts.

Sounds like a good solution. Moreover, I am sure this idea will be welcome by many transit fans. In addition, UP has 2012 Prevosts almost identical to the damaged SI Prevosts. Perhaps these 2012 Prevosts may be loaned out to SI and the un-retired flipdots sent to the UP.

17 minutes ago, TomaszSBklyn said:

Sounds like a good solution. Moreover, I am sure this idea will be welcome by many transit fans. In addition, UP has 2012 Prevosts almost identical to the damaged SI Prevosts. Perhaps these 2012 Prevosts may be loaned out to SI and the un-retired flipdots sent to the UP.

Here's the real deal.. (MTA) will not re-install those 2002 flipdots back into passenger service. (especially not to please transit fans) I get it the 2002's are admired by alot of transit fans. However, this agency will not re-install these buses out in the expense of this. These buses are 20+ years old.

Meredith is getting more buses and that will push the current set of prevosts over to Castelton and if balance is needed than some from Ulmer Park will make the trip to Staten Island.

51 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Here's the real deal.. (MTA) will not re-install those 2002 flipdots back into passenger service. (especially not to please transit fans) I get it the 2002's are admired by alot of transit fans. However, this agency will not re-install these buses out in the expense of this. These buses are 20+ years old.

Meredith is getting more buses and that will push the current set of prevosts over to Castelton and if balance is needed than some from Ulmer Park will make the trip to Staten Island.

Perhaps you're right, but the point I was (and perhaps others as well) making was a remotely possible re-installation the 2002 units "not to please transit fans" but in response to the loss of fleet by Castelton. The loss due to a natural disaster, an Act of God, if you will. I have no doubt MTA would not do anything to "please transit fans" and I understand it. The question interesting to me (and perhaps others, as I infer from the original post ("There's a rumor going around"), is, what would the MTA do in response to the loss caused by the natural disaster. Such a disaster carries a lot more weight and consequences that a wish of any group, fans or anti-fans alike.

19 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

8400, 8244, 8246, 8236, 8702, 8703 to scrap.

7001 is still in the shop being worked on. I haven't gone looking for 2673 or anything else. 

Question for @SevenEleven and/or any of the mods:  What are the specific rules for NYCT (NYCT)  and (MTA) bus regarding equipment swaps?

For example, can spring creek send their 2200's to Castelton to compensate for the prevosts that were damaged due to the storm? 

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Those 2002's don't need to be re-powered and put back into service, and besides if they really want to replace some of those prevosts that were damaged I'd take a few for the current Meredith Avenue supply (since they already have 1557-1586 and more coming in)  and possibly some from Ulmer Park to send to Castelton. UP express routes don't carry much mileage unlike the Staten Island ones..

We're still going to have a bus shortage no matter what. And considering we shouldn't be cutting service when ridership is coming back, it's the best solution, especially on the express side.

Some of those 2002 MCI's are good runners and don't give the depot much trouble (for example 2910). Not to mention MTA can't order more buses right now since they already did all the options from Prevost. 

5 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

We're still going to have a bus shortage no matter what. And considering we shouldn't be cutting service when ridership is coming back, it's the best solution, especially on the express side.

Some of those 2002 MCI's are good runners and don't give the depot much trouble (for example 2910). Not to mention MTA can't order more buses right now since they already did all the options from Prevost. 

Personally, I disagree with this. We shouldn't be running 21 year old buses on the street again. I get that some of those '02's are excellent runners. However, truthfully that's something that the (MTA) will not invest.  The TA will be eligible for FEMA reimbursement. It all depends what they want to do with the money once everything is accounted for at Castelton, and also they are getting additional money from DC. As a bettor, I think this will prolly happen:  Acceleration of 1587-1606 to Meredith.. Meredith ships some prevost to Castelton.. Ulmer Park also ships some prevosts to Castelton.  Hold off on the remaining Charleston  4301-4305, 4307-4310, 4313, 4315-4317, 4319-4324, 4327-4328 retirements and hold off on the 2008 CT's at Castelton (pending if more are damaged besides the 2 we know already)

4 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

MTA Bus sent MCIs to NYCT before, YUK had some MCI Bus MCIs well over a decade ago, I remember photographing one.

Also I seriously doubt the Detorit MCIs are coming out of retirement, they would activate the 2200s and 4300s before the 02 units.

Now that you said that. I remember Spring Creek, College Point buses at YUK and CAS many moons ago. But those were there temporarily.  However, I wanted to know if there are any specific rules can MTA bus send units to NYCT on a perm basis?

32 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Aren't the flipdot units stripped already, rendering this question moot?

Basically.

I guess a bunch of transit fans are stirring things up for their own enjoyment/wishlist. I very much doubt they'll come back.

I have, however, seen some of Meredith's Prevosts out and about much later than usual. I spotted 1567 on the SIM33C around 8:40pm, a time in which most regular Meredith trippers are usually done with for the day.

IMG_1931.JPG

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Although the I like the idea, why not pull out some of the 2007 CLs out of retirement if they were to take that route?

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Question for @SevenEleven and/or any of the mods:  What are the specific rules for NYCT (NYCT)  and (MTA) bus regarding equipment swaps?

For example, can spring creek send their 2200's to Castelton to compensate for the prevosts that were damaged due to the storm? 

NYCT can send equipment to MTA Bus but I don't think they can do it in the reverse, if the buses were bought with fed money. I don't think they're gonna pull MCIs, they've been pulling Prevosts from elsewhere on the island.

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

NYCT can send equipment to MTA Bus but I don't think they can do it in the reverse, if the buses were bought with fed money. I don't think they're gonna pull MCIs, they've been pulling Prevosts from elsewhere on the island.

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Personally, I disagree with this. We shouldn't be running 21 year old buses on the street again. I get that some of those '02's are excellent runners. However, truthfully that's something that the (MTA) will not invest.  The TA will be eligible for FEMA reimbursement. It all depends what they want to do with the money once everything is accounted for at Castelton, and also they are getting additional money from DC. As a bettor, I think this will prolly happen:  Acceleration of 1587-1606 to Meredith.. Meredith ships some prevost to Castelton.. Ulmer Park also ships some prevosts to Castelton.  Hold off on the remaining Charleston  4301-4305, 4307-4310, 4313, 4315-4317, 4319-4324, 4327-4328 retirements and hold off on the 2008 CT's at Castelton (pending if more are damaged besides the 2 we know already)

You’re forgetting 1607-1629