MTA Bus Operations: Scrapped Equipment List

The TransitMan

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Matthewmp4 said:

2910 retired

It's sad to see the final Flipdot gone. It is interesting if this bus was the longest serving unit in the MTA or that honor goes to some other bus (perhaps an RTS). Moreover, it remains to be seen which bus (if any) will beat such a record in the future.

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

2218: Retired from Spring Creek

3571, 3579: Retired from LaGuardia

3909: Retired from Michael J. Quill

4515: Retired from East New York

4564, 4568: Retired from Grand Avenue

6851, 6874: Retired from Queens Village

My guess is MQ, ENY and GA are starting to make room for those XDE's coming in shortly.

6 minutes ago, TomaszSBklyn said:

It's sad to see the final Flipdot gone. It is interesting if this bus was the longest serving unit in the MTA or that honor goes to some other bus (perhaps an RTS). Moreover, it remains to be seen which bus (if any) will beat such a record in the future.

Longest serving MTA bus is ethier an Blitz rebuilt Fishbowl (museum bus 5227 is apart of this batch) or that batch of GMC RTS that got rebuilt. Both ran close to 25 years. 

Edited by trainfan22

21 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I would hope so! I'm not sure what month those depots are supposed to receive them. The order is coming in real slow, we're a day away from September.

Apparently 9511, 9512 and a few others are built and 9591 is currently at JFK and that might be for MCH or MQ.

I guess in this line of business we gotta be patient with orders..

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Longest serving MTA bus is ethier an Blitz rebuilt Fishbowl (museum bus 5227 is apart of this batch) or that batch of GMC RTS that got rebuilt. Both ran close to 25 years. 

Thanks a lot. Does every bus get rebuilt? What was the case with the late 20th/early 21st century D4500s?

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Apparently 9511, 9512 and a few others are built and 9591 is currently at JFK and that might be for MCH or MQ.

I guess in this line of business we gotta be patient with orders..

The first 2 you mentioned are for EN & the other one is to be for Quill. 

15 hours ago, Snorunts said:

2218: Retired from Spring Creek

3571, 3579: Retired from LaGuardia

3909: Retired from Michael J. Quill

4515: Retired from East New York

4564, 4568: Retired from Grand Avenue

6851, 6874: Retired from Queens Village

I’m surprised to see NG’s being retired especially since QV and MTA bus still has a ton of Orion VII OG’s. 

36 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’m surprised to see NG’s being retired especially since QV and MTA bus still has a ton of Orion VII OG’s. 

It's strange and quite unfortunate since they have more advanced technology. My guess is that some of them needed engine replacements and decided to retire them instead.

On 8/30/2021 at 11:00 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It's been a while since it last ran, and it's only ran a handful of times since late July. 

In any case, maybe @QM1to6Ave can finally be at peace now.

14 hours ago, Transit Enthusiast said:

Turns out, it's a negative for #2910 being retired. It's still alive somehow. It's tracker is acting up.

I swear, the universe is trying to play games with me LOL

On 8/31/2021 at 12:42 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I'm not saying this is the reason but consider this:  these batteries are VERY expensive to replace.  Perhaps they would rather scrap "early" rather than spend the money to replace the batteries?  Again, just a thought. I have no idea why those particular NG buses were selected to be retired before the OG's were.

On 8/31/2021 at 8:18 PM, Ultimategamer12c said:

Welp... 0090 from FP which was the Mobile  Command RTS is now at ECH Scrap.

Is it there to be scrapped or stored? It appeared like it is a preserved bus for special purposes and as such safe from scrapping. From whatever little I know (mostly from this forum) MTA's policies on retiring and scrapping seem chaotic and inconsistent. And not transparent to someone, who like me is not in any way affiliated, except by being an occasional bus or subway rider. Many highly respected transit agencies (I see this in Europe, for example) preserve their historic fleet and often run them regularly. This shows their commitment to being a long term transit agencies and shows their mastery in keeping their fleet in top shape. This builds riders' confidence and builds positive image for the agency as well. Not to mention historical and nostalgia implications and love by historians and transit enthusiasts. And it is not infrequent that historic unit serve alongside the new ones, although at sometimes lighter load. One can only hope that 0090 will remain with us.

8 minutes ago, TomaszSBklyn said:

Is it there to be scrapped or stored? It appeared like it is a preserved bus for special purposes and as such safe from scrapping. From whatever little I know (mostly from this forum) MTA's policies on retiring and scrapping seem chaotic and inconsistent. And not transparent to someone, who like me is not in any way affiliated, except by being an occasional bus or subway rider. Many highly respected transit agencies (I see this in Europe, for example) preserve their historic fleet and often run them regularly. This shows their commitment to being a long term transit agencies and shows their mastery in keeping their fleet in top shape. This builds riders' confidence and builds positive image for the agency as well. Not to mention historical and nostalgia implications and love by historians and transit enthusiasts. And it is not infrequent that historic unit serve alongside the new ones, although at sometimes lighter load. One can only hope that 0090 will remain with us.

The Bus was spotted in the scrap side of the Eastchester  which means the bus is getting scrapped.  If the bus gets preserved or stored then someone will let us know.