Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

1 minute ago, 123melvin said:

It has been almost a full yr  for me. I too did the opa in April of 2018. I will be doing my 3rd PE next week. List 12**.  I have over 200 people they will need to hire before they get to me. 

I wonder how many PEs I'll be doing my list number 14xx.... this is gonna be a longggggg wait

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Janelleeac said:

I took it once... if u havent taken t already please dont freak out i know you can be nervous but by this time u should know what ur doing 

I do i fact know what im doing but i let my nerves get the best of me, im taking it again next Wednesday so now its with DeNardo or Gibbs

10 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

In a way,  this is how transit sees how bad you want this job.  Going thru the whole process of pre employment,  medical and final processing is kind of like their interview process since when you pass everything,  you pretty much get the job. And given what you'll be going thru on the job,  they wanna see your availability.   This isn't like any other job.  When they will need you,  you need to be there.  Perfect example, when a major snow storm hits,  and everything including the subway shuts down,  you STILL need to report!  And not only on-time but at times even earlier.  If you can't do that just to get the job,  they will see it as well not only do you must not really want this job,  you are someone they can rely on.  And with this job,  you NEED to be reliable. 

I get the being at the job on time and even when snow storms occur however they as well as every job should value my time and everyone else's. You don't get time back. 

Curious how many sick days do you get and if they run out and you take some is that a problem?? Lateness has to be strictly enforced too? 

Lastly is your union strong?? Thanks for all your responses and everyone here who helps. 

I wish all of you nothing but the best of luck. 

1 hour ago, 123melvin said:

It has been almost a full yr  for me. I too did the opa in April of 2018. I will be doing my 3rd PE next week. List 12**.  I have over 200 people they will need to hire before they get to me. 

I wonder why they sent you three and only one for me🤔

2 hours ago, Sixgvd94 said:

I do i fact know what im doing but i let my nerves get the best of me, im taking it again next Wednesday so now its with DeNardo or Gibbs

Ok just pretend there not there ... u already know theyre gonna set u up for a double zone so make sure u check ur mdc ur circuit breakers everything ... if u gotta talk to urself while doing it then so be it ... when u do ur door cut out make sure u close the bad keep open the good .... u gottt thissss !! 

23 hours ago, Sixgvd94 said:

I had Gibbs prepping for yard movement. I had a really f**ked up train and things weren't working. He just let me run around like a chicken without its head until he was like "oh it's probably the train, don't worry about it". I was like damn you couldn't have told me sooner? I was on panic mode, threw my entire game off.

On 1/31/2019 at 7:22 PM, Nyctransitorhotels said:

I get the being at the job on time and even when snow storms occur however they as well as every job should value my time and everyone else's. You don't get time back. 

From a TA bus perspective: Barring extinction-level asteroid strike, nuclear holocaust, alien invasion or something to that effect. You are still required to report to your work location - on time. At TA Buses, the only thing they ask is that you a) report on time and you b) pull out your bus on time. They do not want to hear any excuses and there are very few exceptions for excused absence or lateness. In the event of a snowstorm or other extreme weather event, then, in previous cases you report to the work location closest to your assigned work location. Being late on probation subjects you to a violation, receiving a violation along with other factors may cause probation to be extended or may result in termination. If you expect any understanding or sympathy from supervision/management - this may not be the job for you.

Curious how many sick days do you get and if they run out and you take some is that a problem?? Lateness has to be strictly enforced too?

Can't remember how many you get, but you get a few. Going out "sick" on probation is a no-no. You don't do it unless it is that bad and have doctor's notes, etc.,. For very serious matters, you may be able to resign and come back if you are on probation.  You don't have to worry about running out - because you won't have a job at that point if you are on probation. Lateness (see above).

Lastly is your union strong?? Thanks for all your responses and everyone here who helps.

I wish all of you nothing but the best of luck. 

I am represented by ATU726 on Staten Island as a bus operator there. So I offer no opinion on the fine folks of TWU100. Nevertheless, when you are on probation, your "rights" are somewhat limited.

Edited by 161 New York

On 1/31/2019 at 12:41 PM, Tony77 said:

So I called the MTA Exam line and as of yesterday (Jan 30) they are up to 1042. On Dec 17 they were at 898. Guess they’re moving right along. Hope they keep it up. 

On 1/31/2019 at 2:11 PM, 123melvin said:

Yes and the paperwork expires in 90 days too. Atleast that is what the guy told me. My first time I went was May 25th of 2018.. I expect to do this atleast 4 times.

It's very important for you guys keep fighting for this job.... Yes, I said fighting for this job as in battling these hardships of taking time off to come to these PE's/DT's. This is another way of how they get from 898 to 1041 to fill a class of 60 so fast........some people just give up or in between get called from another list of a test they've taken and take that offer instead. Candidates get weeded out. If you guys are getting these PE's/DT's means you're getting close and your time will come. I took 3 PE's/DT's before finally getting into Schoolcar. 

The funny or cool thing about this is your perseverance will pay off and if you've notice at these PE's/DT's , you see the same faces going every time you do too......some of these people will be your classmates and more importantly your sub-classmates and you will be joking about this in Schoolcar.......So!......to kill some time....you know....waiting.....and waiting...and waiting some more when your at 180 Livingston....get a head start of meeting and knowing them...... you will be joking about this in Schoolcar too......

9 minutes ago, BigCountry said:

It's very important for you guys keep fighting for this job.... Yes, I said fighting for this job as in battling these hardships of taking time off to come to these PE's/DT's. This is another way of how they get from 898 to 1041 to fill a class of 60 so fast........some people just give up or in between get called from another list of a test they've taken and take that offer instead. Candidates get weeded out. If you guys are getting these PE's/DT's means you're getting close and your time will come. I took 3 PE's/DT's before finally getting into Schoolcar. 

The funny or cool thing about this is your perseverance will pay off and if you've notice at these PE's/DT's , you see the same faces going every time you do too......some of these people will be your classmates and more importantly your sub-classmates and you will be joking about this in Schoolcar.......So!......to kill some time....you know....waiting.....and waiting...and waiting some more when your at 180 Livingston....get a head start of meeting and knowing them...... you will be joking about this in Schoolcar too......

Damn i miss schoolcar :,(. I hear u guys will be posting next week... time to see what its REALLY like in the real world. BUT ALWAYS STICK TO SCHOOLCAR RULES..... u guys will understand when you are posting . 

On 1/31/2019 at 2:19 PM, Schecter said:

They're also probably looking for any discrepancies thats why I took a picture of every single page of my first time going to the PE in November. This is off topic but would it be a problem for doing a process with TO and Conductor, because I have my PE for TO next Friday.

On 1/31/2019 at 6:16 PM, Schecter said:

Btw sorry guys I meant to say I have my PE for conductor next Friday I'm on both a TO forum and conductor forum so I got confused on where I was posting.

But I did the OPA for conductor 6601 back in April of 2018 and now I have the PE for conductor next Friday, does anybody know how long the process usually takes from PE until you get sworn in?

These are 2 separate lists and you have to go to each one respectively of each other. I'm on both lists too and have been to PE's for both of them. Conductor called for medical first and I went to Schoolcar for that. If you look at my previous post above......this another way these list numbers move so fast. Because I took Conductor, my spot on the T/O list will go to somebody else. If my math and guess is correct I should be called for the next T/O class.

If you guys want a good guesstimate of when you will be called.......I've noticed the pattern has been about 120-150 from the last number called....give or take 20 or 30 to fill a class of 60.......this isn't written in stone.....just a pattern I noticed since list #1.........

3 minutes ago, BigCountry said:

These are 2 separate lists and you have to go to each one respectively of each other. I'm on both lists too and have been to PE's for both of them. Conductor called for medical first and I went to Schoolcar for that. If you look at my previous post above......this another way these list numbers move so fast. Because I took Conductor, my spot on the T/O list will go to somebody else. If my math and guess is correct I should be called for the next T/O class.

If you guys want a good guesstimate of when you will be called.......I've noticed the pattern has been about 120-150 from the last number called....give or take 20 or 30 to fill a class of 60.......this isn't written in stone.....just a pattern I noticed since list #1.........

How long after medical did you go to schoolcar?

3 minutes ago, BigCountry said:

Do you have a guesstimation of when classes are called? Like every 2 or 3 months? Don't mean to sound annoying so I do apologize I just want to make a mental time frame of when I'd be called that's all.

42 minutes ago, Janelleeac said:

Damn i miss schoolcar :,(. I hear u guys will be posting next week... time to see what its REALLY like in the real world. BUT ALWAYS STICK TO SCHOOLCAR RULES..... u guys will understand when you are posting . 

Yeah Man!.... LoL....... Start Posting on Wednesday 2/6.......2 more days of class til then...... I, as you probably know already, heard some of these stories from other on the job Conductors, but nothing like feeling and seeing the real deal going through it myself. Your words of wisdom are golden too and I will definitely heed them too!....

Our CRB class is talking about this might be the last time we are all together at the same time and all..... Wondering....how often do you run into CRB/A classmate on the road?

And yeah......those 1 hour lunches together will be missed!......

Edited by BigCountry
add more sentences.

24 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Do you have a guesstimation of when classes are called? Like every 2 or 3 months? Don't mean to sound annoying so I do apologize I just want to make a mental time frame of when I'd be called that's all.

Not annoying at all.....we're here to help each other......

RTO goes by quarters and the last quarter finished in January. February starts the new quarter......before they used to make classes every month within that quarter. As of lately they've been making classes as needed, though. I reported in January that a senior TSS told me that they have a February class planned. I saw in an earlier post it said Olha confirmed Feb 25....... she will definitely know because either her or Maria Vargas will be the one to send an email to you for Medical.......

38 minutes ago, 123melvin said:

How long after medical did you go to schoolcar?

When you get the email for Medical......it will be for the next scheduled class. I've heard, seen, and talked to people that have been called to come in the Friday before the the class that starts on the Monday...... after that Friday......