R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/17/2023 at 1:20 AM, Fan Railer said:

Unless I'm reading the schedule wrong there's supposed to be a revenue trip leaving Far Rock at 8:24pm for 207. It didn't run due to the train being dropped out to the yard, ie, the interval was abandoned.

Missing intervals at Far Rock wow, I feel bad for the passengers that have to wait 40 minutes for a revenue train back north

31 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

It has to, weekends are still.part of the 30 day

32 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Yes it does. Part of 30 days for passenger service testing. 

does anyone got a live tracker of it? I plan on going after it soon

Edited by DCTransitFilms

18 minutes ago, DCTransitFilms said:

does anyone got a live tracker of it? I plan on going after it soon

Nope. Someone asked them on twitter and they have no clue when it goes out or when it leaves.

You'd think they want as much publicity with "brand new generation cars" and would be a little more transparent like they were with the M9's.

42 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Nope. Someone asked them on twitter and they have no clue when it goes out or when it leaves.

You'd think they want as much publicity with "brand new generation cars" and would be a little more transparent like they were with the M9's.

There's a reddit post if you live far from the New York City state. It helps if you're out and about that you need to charge your phone with a portable bank etc. 

R211 Location : R211Location (reddit.com) 

Edited by Calvin

28 minutes ago, Calvin said:

There's a reddit post if you live far from the New York City state. It helps if you're out and about that you need to charge your phone with a portable bank etc. 

R211 Location : R211Location (reddit.com) 

I cant believe people made a whole subreddit for that

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

“ Brand new generation “ ?  . Where I come from it’s R46, R62-R68 SMEE class and NTT class. I doubt that the folks who touted GC Madison would want any more publicity than they already have 😁. Carry on.

R211 runs back and forth on the (A). Unless there's a severe delay, go to smtg around the middle of the line with easy access to both directions like High St and you're guarenteed to see it within an hour and a half or so. Fortunately most of it's midday trips are to Ozone; it only originates and ends from Far Rockaway (to de-head to Pitkin Yard). Someone put the time tables up on the previous page, though those may be subject to change.

6 minutes ago, brakethrow said:

From a train operator's perspective, how do they run? How's the braking and are they noticeably faster than the R160s and 179s?

We hit 48 mph southbound between Howard Beach and Broad Channel, which is pretty standard from my experience. Can't speak on the specifics of how the train responds to command inputs from the MC.

Here's my shots from the first week of testing:

Got a ride on it today and can't say it felt like a huge upgrade over the R160 or R179.  Lots of new doodads but the ride felt the same, and the announcements are the same.   Seats are smaller, doors are wider, more info displays.  The rest of my party were all expecting open gangways, as that is what is being said about them.

It was pure luck that I rode it too.  My daughter ran the NYC Half Marathon today and we met at Columbus Circle after the run.  We were taking the A to W4th for lunch and lo and behold it pulled into the station.  It was packed.  It crept to 34th and then was still slow the rest of the way.  All the trains were slow today.  I took 6 different trains on 3 lines to follow the run and cheer her on.

I know that it's said that the inaugural run was on Friday, March 10th. Not to bring up the pandemic, but, if the lockdown did not happen back in 2020, would we still be in this same day and year to see the R211 in service or that it was supposedly to happen around mid 2021-2022 to testing? 

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

I know that it's said that the inaugural run was on Friday, March 10th. Not to bring up the pandemic, but, if the lockdown did not happen back in 2020, would we still be in this same day and year to see the R211 in service or that it was supposedly to happen around mid 2021-2022 to testing? 

It's possible same day, but not the year. A lot of the issue Covid brought up wasn't just shipping, lack of workers, and whatnot, but it was also due to chip shortages, semiconductors not being available. We might've had the base order completed by now if it wasn't for that, but it is what it is.

2 hours ago, Vulturious said:

It's possible same day, but not the year. A lot of the issue Covid brought up wasn't just shipping, lack of workers, and whatnot, but it was also due to chip shortages, semiconductors not being available. We might've had the base order completed by now if it wasn't for that, but it is what it is.

Seconding this; we're still having issues with certain components where I work (power electronics manufacturer), so it's not surprising that something like a train car which is likely chock full of interesting electronics that require all sorts of specialized ICs got really delayed.

4 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

As I’ve been saying, a lot of the changes are “under the hood”/ “backstage/back of house”-ish stuff the riding public doesn’t get to see or interact with.

That makes a lot of sense; if you wouldn't mind I'd love a summary of what's different from your perspective, and whether you (or any of the other RTO folks on here) would consider this "another NTT" or the start of a third generation of train (after the SMEEs and Gen 1 NTTs).

Edited by engineerboy6561

On 3/18/2023 at 11:48 PM, Lawrence St said:

There hasn’t been a single issue or malfunction to reset the clock yet?

Wow, my standards were lowered after the R179 fiasco lmao.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

(1) that’s because the (MTA) & (NYCT) is pressuring Kawasaki to make sure that nothing happens to the R211, and they mean NOTHING. Because if it does, heads are gonna roll. (2) Because the (MTA) didn’t wanna spend (NYCT)‘s Capitol dollars on something that is gonna falter. They don’t want no repeats of the last order. 

Edited by FLX9304

21 minutes ago, NBTA said:

Show the Saturday and Sunday schedule if you can.

If the guy who shared this had posted the rest of the memo, I would have passed it on here; unfortunately that was not the case. At any rate, with all the weekend G/Os running, the recommended weekend rotations are probably thrown out the window.

Edited by Fan Railer

3 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

If the guy who shared this had posted the rest of the memo, I would have passed it on here; unfortunately that was not the case. At any rate, with all the weekend G/Os running, the recommended weekend rotations are probably thrown out the window.

Ah okay, makes sense.