R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

3 hours ago, AZthefoamer said:

It is surprising enough that the R44s are still around and maintenance costs are likely high. People are not concerned that it will be several months before they enter service but I really think the MTA should try and get them in service as quickly as they can.

The same for the R46s. They might be alright on the (N)(R)(W) but are terrible on the (A)(C).

The R46s don't run on the (R) anymore, and haven't for like a couple years now ( Queens Blvd. CBTC). I assume you meant the (N)(Q)(W) .

Also, many have stated that the CIY R46s are in worse shape than the Pitkin R46s. Maybe if you ride the (N)(W) & (Q) (assuming you don't), you might see for yourself. 

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Ale188 said:

That's why the pilot train needs to complete its revenue testing so the production trains can also be delivered and in service. Now this is just a warning to see bc we need this revenue test completed and the production cars to be in service FAST! Same thing happening to the SIR. Recently, 2 SIR cars were taken out of service, being 399 and 466. now instead of 64 cars, I believe 59 remain, though. We need this base order delivered FAST!

The R46's are going to be sticking around regardless until we have enough R211's in service to start retiring. While I do agree that they should enter service as soon as possible, we really shouldn't be rushing things. I believe some people have already stated this and I'll be repeating it, better to be finding those issues now than later on down the line bringing us back into another R179 issue only with the R211's, it's got a lot of tech inside.

5 hours ago, AZthefoamer said:

It is surprising enough that the R44s are still around and maintenance costs are likely high. People are not concerned that it will be several months before they enter service but I really think the MTA should try and get them in service as quickly as they can.

The same for the R46s. They might be alright on the (N)(R)(W) but are terrible on the (A)(C).

The (R) is based out of Jamaica, not Coney Island, I'm going to assume that is a typo and you meant the (Q). Either way, from what I heard, Coney's R46's aren't in the best shape compared to Pitkin. 

As for the R44's, those are still going to take a while before they can be replaced.

17 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

The R46's are going to be sticking around regardless until we have enough R211's in service to start retiring. While I do agree that they should enter service as soon as possible, we really shouldn't be rushing things. I believe some people have already stated this and I'll be repeating it, better to be finding those issues now than later on down the line bringing us back into another R179 issue only with the R211's, it's got a lot of tech inside.

The (R) is based out of Jamaica, not Coney Island, I'm going to assume that is a typo and you meant the (Q). Either way, from what I heard, Coney's R46's aren't in the best shape compared to Pitkin. 

As for the R44's, those are still going to take a while before they can be replaced.

There are no more parts for those cars 

3 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

In other words, if the r211's continued to be delayed, we could face a severe subway car shortage that will affect the whole system.

Keep in mind that ridership is much higher than in 2020 and yes the r46's are in really bad shape.

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

Even with this information, that still doesn't change the fact that the R44's aren't getting a replacement any time soon. The R211S still most likely have to go through their own kind of testing.

Yeah it’s going to be a pilot set that needs to be modified to railroad standards I think. Needs cab signaling if I’m not mistaken but rumors are going around that the first cars 100-104 will be arriving by the end of the month. The good thing is that outside of rush hours, only 4 trains are needed to make service due to the extended headways 

Edited by darkstar8983

3 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

In other words, if the r211's continued to be delayed, we could face a severe subway car shortage that will affect the whole system.

Keep in mind that ridership is much higher than in 2020 and yes the r46's are in really bad shape.

they still arent as bad as the 32s were before those went

6 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

3 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Ok that's just being dramatic. The R44/47's have been fine, they can continue running another 5-7 years with no car shortage.

Edited by Lawrence St

8 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

The R46s don't run on the (R) anymore, and haven't for like a couple years now ( Queens Blvd. CBTC). I assume you meant the (N)(Q)(W) .

Yes, I meant that. Sorry.

9 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Also, many have stated that the CIY R46s are in worse shape than the Pitkin R46s. Maybe if you ride the (N)(W) & (Q) (assuming you don't), you might see for yourself. 

Not true. They should ride the (A)(C). They are dirtier, the side LEDs usually are not working, the lighting on the inside is worse, and there are no looped stanchions on the (A)(C) I think.

1 minute ago, AZthefoamer said:

Not true. They should ride the (A)(C). They are dirtier, the side LEDs usually are not working, the lighting on the inside is worse, and there are no looped stanchions on the (A)(C) I think.

They do not have, you're right on that. They did use one 4-car set (5602-5605) as a loaner only. 

Going back to the R211, seen 4040-4049 outside at C.I Yard, I've seen the gangway and it's like you can walk any car except the open door option is there when you ride an Amtrak Acela ( the > < button). 

2 minutes ago, AZthefoamer said:

Cosmetic and actual performance are two different things. I've heard over the radio atleast twice now of trains that didn't take power, both coney sets. 

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Ok that's just being dramatic. The R44/47's have been fine, they can continue running another 5-7 years with no car shortage.

those bodies are shot, that's not being over dramatic, it's a fact. if you saw the amount of body rot these cars have inside their frames, you wouldn't be saying their are fine. The R32/42s are in better shape than those SI cars.

6 hours ago, AZthefoamer said:

As @Jdog14 pointed out, car cleanliness and car performance are two different things. Coney's fleet may be cleaner, but their cars generally perform worse.

The same applies to the R68s & R160s. The R68s currently at Coney are in worse shape than the Concourse cars, even if they're cleaner. When Coney had the R160s they were cleaner than the ones already at Jamaica, but they (the coney cars) performed worse on average.

To your other points - in reference to the side LEDs, the Coney cars have the same problems. And The Pitkin cars didn't receive the pole & lighting upgrades like the Coney cars did, but that doesn't make their performance any better or worse.

Edited by RandomRider0101
Added additional info.

The only statistic that matters is MDBF.

cleanliness is the end result of circumstance. When and how often the cleaners can get the inside done, or how often the trains have access to a trip to the wash for their exterior. Pitken doesn’t have a wash and 207 yard is constantly shut down or access to it lost, due to the long term GOs affecting the upper 8th Ave line and the yard.

12 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Not the whole system. Only the lettered lines. The numbered lines are a whole different story. 

4 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

As @Jdog14 pointed out, car cleanliness and car performance are two different things. Coney's fleet may be cleaner, but their cars generally perform worse.

Still not entirely convinced here - riding the R46s on the (A)(C) will tell you that they need retirement. (Obviously the same is true for the Coney ones, but to a lesser extent.) The (A)(C) should have their R46s retired before other lines have theirs I think (just from observation).

7 minutes ago, AZthefoamer said:

Still not entirely convinced here - riding the R46s on the (A)(C) will tell you that they need retirement. (Obviously the same is true for the Coney ones, but to a lesser extent.) The (A)(C) should have their R46s retired before other lines have theirs I think (just from observation).

Or the (A) and (C) can be stuck with them until retirement since it’s always a complaint that they never get “new” cars.

I ride the (Q) frequently and those cars are in bad shape.  Worse than the others?  I think they are all pretty bad at this point.  Maybe we should just put it this way, the R46 cars are in the worst shape of any in the system.  When they finally start pulling them I just hope they pull the worst ones first regardless of line and not just pull the (A)(C) cars.  I'm sure there are maintenance records that'll tell them which cars are the worst.

Edited by zacster

On 4/19/2023 at 7:09 AM, AZthefoamer said:

You may wanna delete this before it’s too late (joking), cause the CIY 46s are sh compared to the 207/PTK 46s. 

9 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

The only statistic that matters is MDBF.

cleanliness is the end result of circumstance. When and how often the cleaners can get the inside done, or how often the trains have access to a trip to the wash for their exterior. Pitkin doesn’t have a wash and 207 yard is constantly shut down or access to it lost, due to the long term GOs affecting the upper 8th Ave line and the yard.

They tend to completely forget this part

I have never ridden a 46 but I can see that they are very dirty but Like i said i have never ridden one. It's been over 12 years since I have gone to NYC in general, so I barely know what the subway system ACTUALLY looks like, but I know some parts. I think CIY, 207 and Pitkin are equal. Its the same fleet, so almost all cars are in bad shape. I think the MTA might b working on preserving some of the cars, though, so that's good.

16 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Not the whole system. Only the lettered lines. The numbered lines are a whole different story. 

A subway car shortage in the B division will cause severe service reduction on all lettered lines. As a result, a large amount of riders will avoid riding the lettered lines and ride the number lines instead (which are already overcrowded) causing more overcrowding, which will increase dwell times in stations creating more delays.

In summary, A division lines will be affected by a subway car shortage in the B division.

Let's cross our fingers with the r211's.

On 4/20/2023 at 6:17 AM, AZthefoamer said:

Have you ever heard the expression "You can't judge a book by its cover"?