R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

3 hours ago, Vulturious said:

image0.jpg?width=443&height=676

So new digital bullets for the (SIR) have finally been shown. An Orange diamond SI bullet which obviously is going to be for express service while I'm going to assume local service is going to be a blue circle SI. Now all that is left is to figure out what the announcements are.

I still think it would have been better to just have a regular window there. This giant “SI” bullet will look silly and is pointless since there’s only one line.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I still think it would have been better to just have a regular window there. This giant “SI” bullet will look silly and is pointless since there’s only one line.

Well, for starters, there is a hardware cabinet there as there is on all the 60’ NTTs.

and honestly, if they’re going for a unified branding and appearance set up, this kind of makes sense.

11 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

And make it harder to clearly identify if the train is running local or express before it finishes pulling into a station?

On 5/9/2023 at 7:30 PM, trainfan22 said:

SI Live article on the Staten Island R211s, revenue service is expected by the end of the year according to the article. For those who are wondering, yes the SI R211s will have to do an 30 day test as well. 

https://www.silive.com/news/2023/05/first-new-staten-island-railway-cars-arrive-in-nyc-heres-what-riders-can-expect.html?outputType=amp

They should’ve shown the new R211S cars that were delivered, not the construction of it 

1 hour ago, Lex said:

And make it harder to clearly identify if the train is running local or express before it finishes pulling into a station?

Not really, you might see a 🔵 (SIR) for local service with terminals on top, similar to what they use in (NYCT) subways. The 🔴 (SIR) as you see here will be express. 

19 hours ago, Vulturious said:

image0.jpg?width=443&height=676

So new digital bullets for the (SIR) have finally been shown. An Orange diamond SI bullet which obviously is going to be for express service while I'm going to assume local service is going to be a blue circle SI. Now all that is left is to figure out what the announcements are.

I’ll be interested to see what the announcements would sound like…

9 hours ago, Lex said:

If there is no route distinction to make, then the only distinction they could make is express versus local. Why not simply (express) versus (local) with no letter inside?

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

If there is no route distinction to make, then the only distinction they could make is express versus local. Why not simply (express) versus (local) with no letter inside?

Thank you. I don’t know why some people overthink things. Carry on.

5 hours ago, CenSin said:

How did we go from someone implying the bullet is superfluous to someone implying the text in the bullet is superfluous?

22 hours ago, nikitos6712 said:

I’ll be interested to see what the announcements would sound like…

They couldn’t just leave it as “S” instead of “SI” ? I get it because of the (S) with being grey but those car are strict for the island

All we have is a blurry picture. Too much speculation is going on already. This looks alright so far, but we need to see the final, in-service version before I can say with absolute certainty.

Relax.

1 hour ago, R179 8258 said:

They couldn’t just leave it as “S” instead of “SI” ? I get it because of the (S) with being grey but those car are strict for the island

"S" would be more confusing and also "SI", "SIR", or even nothing at all make more sense than it.

7 hours ago, R179 8258 said:

Why would you make it just S? SIR riders already are used to “Tottenville/Great Kills Express/Local” and the orange and blue “bullets” (squares)

19 hours ago, Lex said:

How did we go from someone implying the bullet is superfluous to someone implying the text in the bullet is superfluous?

18 hours ago, Metro CSW said:

The bullet sign nitpicking here is almost hilarious....

I can't wait to see what people will say about the announcements lol

Honestly, I don’t really care. As long as it’s easy for riders to easily ID whether the train is a local, express or short-turning at Great Kills that’s what matters. If they want to do “SI” in a circle or diamond, I really don’t have a problem with it. I’m sure it’ll be better than the current cars which display the destination in tiny letters in the same place the route letter was displayed on the Transit R44s. I mean the new cars will display the train’s destination over the front door and have a second line to display Local or Express, if need be, same as the Transit R211s.

3 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

Did anyone see the video on IG of an R211SIR connected to the R211T(softshell) moving around in CI. I can see later R211T’s split into mixed 5/5 with R211A’s making that 2 train set into 4. 

I mean, there's nothing really different between the R211A and the R211T and I could say the same about the R211S honestly so I'm not surprised if both are running together as a mixed consist. We'll probably later on down the line see the R211's run mixed consist maybe during the second order option depending on whether yards get lazy.

Only thing I'm questioning is, what do you mean by "split into mixed 5/5 with R211A's making that 2 train set into 4?"

9 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

I mean, there's nothing really different between the R211A and the R211T and I could say the same about the R211S honestly so I'm not surprised if both are running together as a mixed consist. We'll probably later on down the line see the R211's run mixed consist maybe during the second order option depending on whether yards get lazy.

Only thing I'm questioning is, what do you mean by "split into mixed 5/5 with R211A's making that 2 train set into 4?"

Mixed 5/5 meaning 5 car R211A and 5 car T’s for one 10 car train 

51 minutes ago, MJHmarc said:

Mixed 5/5 meaning 5 car R211A and 5 car T’s for one 10 car train 

I'm aware of that bit, but I'm more focused on the "into 4" part which I'm most confused. You mean convert some 5 cars into 4 car sets? 4 car R211's aren't as needed compared to the 5 car sets.

5 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

I'm aware of that bit, but I'm more focused on the "into 4" part which I'm most confused. You mean convert some 5 cars into 4 car sets? 4 car R211's aren't as needed compared to the 5 car sets.

Oh sorry, i was talking about the fact that there will be 2 10 car R211T’s that can be split into 4 sets (5 cars each) if you mix them with R211A’s. If option 2 is the T type they could really mix a lot of the A’s with T’s instead of just all 10 cars being one type.