R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

9 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

But if they do go on the RP shuttle where would the MTA put those RP shuttle 46s? The a? C? Cuz there’s no way there gonna be scrapped.

Isn’t the plan for the r211s to replace all of the r46s? They might move to other lines while the other r46s are getting retired due to mileage purposes but after that the r46s are gone.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, djtoro7 said:

As far as maintenance, it will also be inconvenient due to the need to taking a half set out of commission for a mechanical failure or SMS down the line. As innovating as they are, I don't see these cars lasting on the rails of NYC. But we'll just have to wait and see.

Um…. WE ALREADY DO THAT! The entire fleet is in semi-permanent sets already, what difference does this make?

5 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

(MTA) punishes the crew if they don't investigate enough (if they don't check in between cars) So the Union is in the right here while (MTA) NYCT is the ones who makes the rules. So The full blame should be directed at (MTA). TFL probably doesn't do that hence why it works for them.

........It's crazy to me that y'all are reaching that far into an empty barrell for reasons why open gangways can't work here. How the absolute foque does the type of gangway influence how thorough a workers checks are? How is the MTAs fault that one of their crew doesn't check properly?

Sorry, but working on an industry where NOT being thorough can get someone injured or killed (film industry for those wondering, specifically lighting aka electrician and rigging aka grip), the fault solely lies with you. If you don't know how to do something, you ain't qualified enough to work on it.

Please insert 50¢ to Continue

Edited by LTA1992

5 minutes ago, LTA1992 said:

........It's crazy to me that y'all are reaching that far into an empty barrell for reasons why open gangways can't work here. How the absolute foque does the type of gangway influence how thorough a workers checks are? How is the MTAs fault that one of their crew doesn't check properly?

Sorry, but working on an industry where NOT being thorough can get someone injured or killed (film industry for those wondering, specifically lighting aka electrician and rigging aka grip), the fault solely lies with you. If you don't know how to do something, you ain't qualified enough to work on it.

Please insert 50¢ to Continue

I never said they can't work here, Let the train run over debris in a river tube with no clearance and see what happens. (MTA) had years of planning for this and they didn't do it. I'm not against the cars at all but the way (MTA) has its rules, They should have known this was going to be an issue.

So don't come at me like I'm against the cars when I'm just relating the news from people who actually work in NYCT. 

This is why they are test units. Once they figure out the issues and concerns, Then they'll figure out if they want to order more or not.

3 hours ago, Ale188 said:

the open gangways look (and probably are)  small to begin with on her hard shell cars, but the sorry shell ones are like 4 inches wider, and putting them on a very used line especially on rush hours makes it worse. I understand why they would do that. But if they do go on the RP shuttle where would the MTA put those RP shuttle 46s? The a? C? Cuz there’s no way there gonna be scrapped.

What exactly is a 'sorry shell' ? Never heard of such a thing.

And how would putting a wider gangway which is intended to hold more people on a highly used line make things worse?

Also, all of the R46s are being replaced by the R211s.

1 hour ago, RandomRider0101 said:

And how would putting a wider gangway which is intended to hold more people on a highly used line make things worse?

I think it was supposed to be "soft shell" since the other reference is to "hard shell".  I can type faster than I can correct the auto-correct so I turned it off.

There is way too much speculation here.  Do you really think they are going to put the most expensive cars ever produced for the subway on a little used shuttle???  GMAFB.  They usually assign the oldest cars there.

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I never said they can't work here, Let the train run over debris in a river tube with no clearance and see what happens. (MTA) had years of planning for this and they didn't do it. I'm not against the cars at all but the way (MTA) has its rules, They should have known this was going to be an issue.

So don't come at me like I'm against the cars when I'm just relating the news from people who actually work in NYCT. 

This is why they are test units. Once they figure out the issues and concerns, Then they'll figure out if they want to order more or not.

Hi, I actually work around R211s and I've not heard any of this.

Gotta remember the difference between Crew Room Lawyer BS and actual policy from 2 Broadway.

25 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Hi, I actually work around R211s and I've not heard any of this.

Gotta remember the difference between Crew Room Lawyer BS and actual policy from 2 Broadway.

These were from your co-workers who are on facebook and 2 i know personally. That's why i said rumor in my original post about it.

15 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Typo. It was supposed to be soft shell.

15 hours ago, zacster said:

I think it was supposed to be "soft shell" since the other reference is to "hard shell".  I can type faster than I can correct the auto-correct so I turned it off.

There is way too much speculation here.  Do you really think they are going to put the most expensive cars ever produced for the subway on a little used shuttle???  GMAFB.  They usually assign the oldest cars there.

To the first point: I was being sarcastic. I know exactly what it was supposed to say.

I know the second point was a more general response to this whole topic, but I will add my two cents in to it.

No I do not believe they will restrict those R211T test sets to just the Rock shuttle. Whether they order more R211Ts or not, those two pilot sets are gonna be used in regular service just like any other subway car. 

Some people forget that the Rockaway shuttle is a part of the (A) line. This means that whatever fleet/s the (A) uses, the rock shuttle also uses. That's why you're starting to see R179s appear on the latter line.

In the case of the R211T, it will be different since there are only a combined total of 20 cars, so far at least. For that reason, they are even more likely to be kept exclusively on the (A) line, assuming the cars are assigned to Pitkin. If they are indeed assigned elsewhere, it will more than likely be Jamaica before anywhere else.

We have to wait and see how this all plays out. I know that no matter how option 2 of the R211 order turns out, I'll just be glad that we have new cars coming either way.

So yesterday after work I happened to casually walk to the High Street station. When I walk down the stairs to the platform, I was pleasantly surprised the pilot train had just gotten to the station heading to Lefferts Blvd. I got on and rode all the way to Lefferts and then rode back north to Nostrand Av. I must say I loved how smooth the ride was. The T/O operated great southbound while the T/O from Lefferts operated ok. It did feel stiff because, of course, with all new equipment, all components on the suspension are tightly fitted. But once the train racks up some more mileage, I feel the train ride will get better. I did feel the buckling that some people have mentioned as it feels similar to the Siemens R160s. Just my humble opinion.

15 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

These were from your co-workers who are on facebook and 2 i know personally. That's why i said rumor in my original post about it.

You don’t believe on what’s been said on fb. They can say one thing, but can come out the other 

I was once told by some bus drivers I knew that Long Island Bus was going to be folded into MTA bus. Not as in RBO, but merged completely.

obviously that didn’t happen.

but the point is someone said it was and it spread.

I head a few F Train operators last week talking about how they’re going to move some R179s to Jamaica Yard because “they want the A to be all R211”

these guys were saying all sorts of negative things about those trains… which they themselves have never operated.

Like I said the other day… I would not be surprised if I am the ONLY person (if not one of the few people) reading this who has actually been inside the R211Ts… and yet here we have people doing things like repeating hearsay rumors about them and talking like they know everything there is to know about them.

On 7/26/2023 at 10:35 AM, djtoro7 said:

I don't see these cars lasting on the rails of NYC. But we'll just have to wait and see.

I remember seeing similar comments when the 160s were entering service. Is this in reference to future maintenance of the cars or the actual tracks? I know the ride quality for our rails aren't the best but I never thought they could damage the trains similar to driving a car on shitty roads.

Sorry for what may seem like a dumb question but I thought trains were a lot tougher than that.

16 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

I was once told by some bus drivers I knew that Long Island Bus was going to be folded into MTA bus. Not as in RBO, but merged completely.

I head a few F Train operators last week talking about how they’re going to move some R179s to Jamaica Yard because “they want the A to be all R211”

these guys were saying all sorts of negative things about those trains… which they themselves have never operated.

Like I said the other day… I would not be surprised if I am the ONLY person (if not one of the few people) reading this who has actually been inside the R211Ts… and yet here we have people doing things like repeating hearsay rumors about them and talking like they know everything there is to know about them.

That was in 2008, they wanted everything to be (MTA) Regional Bus Operations but that will simply confuse riders on which is what, and what can also be followed was massive bus cuts that will hurt riders all over the city. 

as for the R179s I’ve never seen them on ANY other line other than the (A), (C), (J) & (Z)
for ppl to spread rumors about this and that, that’s like ppl spreading conspiracy theories about things that isn’t gonna happen. You don’t listen or believe what it’s said until you see it first hand. 

the (A) all the years had 2 or 3 different types of R type cars it needs. 

Edited by FLX9304

17 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Long story short, the RTO rumor mill is gonna rumor mill. It always has. I've also heard some wild conjectures in the last 15 or so years that never came to pass. Don't believe anything until you see it happen.

I remember reading in this thread that someone said the A cars only have one motor or something but I can't find it.

And can someone explain in less technical terms what this means: 

2 motors on A1 cars (lowest number car in unitized set), 4 motors on A2 & B cars

The B cars on NTT equipment have motor power?

Edited by Lawrence St

1 hour ago, RedLine said:

Every new tech B car has at least two motorized axles.

I mean...there's a such thing as quoting. It exists for a reason, otherwise some people get real  confused. And what for anyway? The b-cars don't really do anything except connect and get ragdolled by the A-cars.

22 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

I mean...there's a such thing as quoting. It exists for a reason, otherwise some people get real  confused. And what for anyway? The b-cars don't really do anything except connect and get ragdolled by the A-cars.

The A Cars motors aren't powerful enough to move the train by themselves. So the B cars have motors too. Dead motors seem to be common in NYCT cars with both the SMEEs and NTT, for that reason alone having only the A cars be powered isn't a good idea IMO. 

17 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The A Cars motors aren't powerful enough to move the train by themselves. So the B cars have motors too. Dead motors seem to be common in NYCT cars with both the SMEEs and NTT, for that reason alone having only the A cars be powered isn't a good idea IMO. 

So the lowest A car in a set has 2 motors on one truck, and the B cars and other A car have 2 on each truck?