R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

12 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Or 4130-4134, they are arriving in drones now. 

2 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

When I say “drones” I mean “as in quickness” 

52 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

That makes more sense

42 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

Nah.Philly slang. We don’t use it much but we still use it. I hear a lot of Philly peeps say it. I did forget what it meant until the man told me.

The correct term is 'in droves' not "drones' lol. This isn't Philly, this is NYC. Plus both of you already have bad grammar & comprehensive skills as it is. So let's try sticking to proper English here please. Thanks

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhat off topic but whoever is at Jay Street Tower today is calling Transit Police on anyone taking photos at the front of the Northbound platform. Just a heads up if anyone plans to catch the R211 there. 

I will note that NYPD was present upstairs in the mezzanine and did not respond at all. 

Edited by 4P3607

18 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Excuse me, but I’ve been riding the subway for the better part of the past 45 years. I think I know a hell of a lot more than “squat” about the system when I show interest in it. 

Okay then:

what’s a G2?

when the conductor has full indication but the train operator does not, what’s the probable cause?

what’s the significance of 106 Ball.

what’s the meaning of three short buzzers?

Which yard requires a hard hat?

what does ATPM mean?

If a train operator sees another employee standing on the roadbed with his arm straight out to the side, holding his flashlight steady, what does that mean to the train operator?

these are all things we who work for RTO have to know. Can you answer any of these off the top of your head?

1 hour ago, RandomRider0101 said:

The correct term is 'in droves' not "drones' lol. This isn't Philly, this is NYC. Plus both of you already have bad grammar & comprehensive skills as it is. So let's try sticking to proper English here please. Thanks

What are you, my ELA teacher? We can say whatever we wanna say here. You ain’t the boss of us. Plus how is this NYC if we’re on the web. Screens. Technology. You sound stupid. Sure, the website is called ‘New York City Transit Forums’, but here, we don’t only talk about New York City Transit, you see. Sometimes, you really need to myob. So, I’d rather you stay away from certain conversations. Next!

Edited by Ale188

4 minutes ago, RedLine said:

Why did “qbl cbtc testing” get extrapolated to “r211t cars to enter service on f line?”

Many railfans expect the open gangway R211s to debut on one of the QBL express routes. Not to mention some TA employees thought the R211 pilot set would hit revenue service by an certain time only for it to debut in revenue service weeks earlier.

Considering these factors I'm not surprised some posters jumped the gun a bit and expected revenue service with one of the open gangway sets.

3 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

& who is you? I suggest you to stay in your lane!! 

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

Okay then:

what’s a G2?

when the conductor has full indication but the train operator does not, what’s the probable cause?

what’s the significance of 106 Ball.

what’s the meaning of three short buzzers?

Which yard requires a hard hat?

what does ATPM mean?

If a train operator sees another employee standing on the roadbed with his arm straight out to the side, holding his flashlight steady, what does that mean to the train operator?

these are all things we who work for RTO have to know. Can you answer any of these off the top of your head?

No. I don’t work for RTO. I don’t have to know what any of those terms are or answer any of them off the top of my head, thank you very much. And I’m not even gonna bother to look them up. What matters is I ride the trains as a member of the public and as someone who’s shown a strong interest in the system and grown to appreciate its history (unlike most riders). I’m goddamn sure if you asked any of the riding public what any of those terms mean, you’d get blank stares. But like many other people in this city, I recognize when the system has shortcomings and want to see better. So I’ve made suggestions on here and spoke to and wrote my elected state representatives (not like they really give two shits, but I guess that’s par for the course). I might even agree with suggestions made by others, like I did with @RandomRider0101 upthread. He conceded his point about 9-car (C) trains and was willing to move on. And so was I. The first time you responded my previous was fine and your points were fair enough. I was willing to accept the reasons you gave and move on. But then you had to go and quote my post this second time in a far more obnoxious and less respectful tone. And that is not fine. I really don’t appreciate it. 

Okay, first of all, you had a bit of an “obnoxious tone” first, the whole “I’ve been riding the subway for almost 45 years…” and then when given a reason by me, that the CBTC computers aren’t built for it, you ignore it, to the point I had to repeat myself.

I’m only about 10 years behind you on riding the subway… and the knowledge I have today vs that of a little over a year ago is vastly different. My point of all that is that rider based knowledge… buff knowledge, has a limit. And that working down here shatters that limit. The reasoning for decisions that didn’t make sense to me a few years ago now is as common sense to me as breathing.

You don’t see or hear everything we have to do every day. You are only exposed to a tiny fraction of the work it takes to make the system run, just from our perspective as train crews. 

as an example. I mentioned “106 Ball”, that is the home signal at the bottom of the Williamsburg Bridge, just outside Essex street. All trains coming down off the bridge have to announce themselves over the radio to Essex to tower for our proper lineups to be given when we are about to pass that signal.

”Essex Tower approaching 106 ball you have the 1234 Juliet-Parsons to Broad”

did you know we had to do that, at various locations?  Most people don’t.

I didn’t. Until I started working here. Same probably from Comrade. 

I'M REALLY GETTING TIRED OF COMING TO THE FOARM AND READING SENSELESS ARGUMENTS. R211 IS THE F****** TOPIC. TALK ABOUT THAT OR GET LOST 

Where are the moderators because a few years back on the r179 thread I brought up PATH and it was almost a uproar 

Edited by 1998NewFlyer

35 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Okay, first of all, you had a bit of an “obnoxious tone” first, the whole “I’ve been riding the subway for almost 45 years…” and then when given a reason by me, that the CBTC computers aren’t built for it, you ignore it, to the point I had to repeat myself.

I’m only about 10 years behind you on riding the subway… and the knowledge I have today vs that of a little over a year ago is vastly different. My point of all that is that rider based knowledge… buff knowledge, has a limit. And that working down here shatters that limit. The reasoning for decisions that didn’t make sense to me a few years ago now is as common sense to me as breathing.

You don’t see or hear everything we have to do every day. You are only exposed to a tiny fraction of the work it takes to make the system run, just from our perspective as train crews. 

as an example. I mentioned “106 Ball”, that is the home signal at the bottom of the Williamsburg Bridge, just outside Essex street. All trains coming down off the bridge have to announce themselves over the radio to Essex to tower for our proper lineups to be given when we are about to pass that signal.

”Essex Tower approaching 106 ball you have the 1234 Juliet-Parsons to Broad”

did you know we had to do that, at various locations?  Most people don’t.

I didn’t. Until I started working here. Same probably from Comrade. 

Okay now that you both have got your points across let’s be civilized here. I appreciate both of your opinions because they sometimes open my eyes to things that I’ve overlooked or never thought about before. As I’ve said in the past I had some excellent teachers in school car and the last Trainmaster who taught me how to look at things through the eyes of others. I’m including regular riders and rail fans. I’m glad that Kamen Rider has joined the RTO team and RTOMan is satisfying my curiosity about CBTC. Bill from Maspeth has also reminded me of things that I never really paid attention to. Before I end my post let me point out what I learned from those in the know 20+ years ago. CBTC and the overlay (ATS) won’t be ready for the IRT and the whole B Division for 30 years or more. The chief proponents were forced out or sidelined by those who weren’t pom pom wavers. Fifteen years ago when I joined the forums there were folks who tried to explain how scheduling works, especially in locations like the Brooklyn IRT. Most of them gave up and moved away when they realized that they were not getting through to the gung ho rail fans. Why are we sitting here at President St or maybe Gold St, Myrtle in the BMT ? If you arrive at a location 2,3, minutes or earlier to that point the system or the local supervision is supposed to hold you to your scheduled time. Simple concept, IMO. I got a warning from the Command Center when I was a new Conductor because we were 8 minutes early at 145th Street and Lenox on a 59 minute run from Flatbush to Lenox on a Sunday night. My M/M was a senior guy who had to head home to Staten Island from Harlem. As Kamen Rider knows now the Desk Trainmaster said that the Conductor is in charge of the train . The other overlooked concept is that the token, MetroCard, OMNY whatever only entitles you to a ride on the train. Not a seat. That always fascinated me because I had a free bus/train pass since I was in the sixth grade and friendly bus operators would remind me to get up and give my seat to a paying customer. Just a few things I had to pass along. Be safe out there. Carry on.

1 hour ago, 1998NewFlyer said:

I'M REALLY GETTING TIRED OF COMING TO THE FOARM AND READING SENSELESS ARGUMENTS. R211 IS THE F****** TOPIC. TALK ABOUT THAT OR GET LOST 

Where are the moderators because a few years back on the r179 thread I brought up PATH and it was almost a uproar 

And I'm tired of coming to this thread/forum to read & respond to nonsensical posts from some of these low-IQ posters. Maybe you can tell the individuals in question to stop 'cause I'm tired of it already. I just want updates on the R211s, preferably from the mature & intelligent folks on this board.

Edited by RandomRider0101
Typo correction & Additional Info

The T sets will likely be running on various lines with high capacity, until the crews have collected enough information, I kinda find it useless since it’s just 2 Open gangway sets that will be running on the system, I doubt the MTA will change the design halfway the 211’s delivery 

4 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

The T sets will likely be running on various lines with high capacity, until the crews have collected enough information, I kinda find it useless since it’s just 2 Open gangway sets that will be running on the system, I doubt the MTA will change the design halfway the 211’s delivery 

The two Ts we have are prototypes. We can still make changes. Hell, we bought two to test the two different gangway connections.

I honestly think it’s best to just keep this specific thread about when these rail cars come in. A bunch of egos are clashing and know it all comments are happening and it’s showing the immaturity of some of the posters here. Moving on though.

Seeing the 211A/S coupled with each other is very interesting in my eyes.

2 hours ago, NBTA said:

I honestly think it’s best to just keep this specific thread about when these rail cars come in. A bunch of egos are clashing and know it all comments are happening and it’s showing the immaturity of some of the posters here. Moving on though.

Seeing the 211A/S coupled with each other is very interesting in my eyes.

At this time I think they can be coupled because the R211S may have not yet been modified to FRA standards (I could be wrong)

18 hours ago, Ale188 said:

Nah.Philly slang. We don’t use it much but we still use it. I hear a lot of Philly peeps say it. I did forget what it meant until the man told me.

I've lived in Philly for almost 20 years and literally never heard that once.  I think you, or someone you know, misheard "droves". No worries. Easy mistake to make. 

7 hours ago, rbrome said:

I've lived in Philly for almost 20 years and literally never heard that once.  I think you, or someone you know, misheard "droves". No worries. Easy mistake to make. 

It was a typo like I suspected from the beginning. Idk why that was so hard for the original poster to say, & why it didn't register to the other poster.

These cannabis dispensaries are making ppl even slower than they were before.

7 hours ago, rbrome said:

Have you heard of Philly dudes referring to women as "Jawns" ? :lol:

As a New Yorker that's the only Philly slang I know of lol.