R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/29/2023 at 3:33 PM, shiznit1987 said:

It sounds tempting, but only SF DC Chicago and Boston have systems of a size and scope to make it worthwhile. Remember that Alstom, Siemens and Kawasaki are all conglomerates with multiple endeavors other that heavy rail car manufacturing. It's a huge lift to have to put up the immense upfront capital costs of a manufacturing facility and retain the thousands of employees to excecute 500-1000+ car orders. 

What we should do is drop the Buy America nonsense and purchase off the shelf designs that have been working around the world for decades rather than MTA management demanding that we reinvent the wheel because "New York is special"

"Buy America" is not nonsense because the manufacturing of the cars gives Americans jobs, rather than those jobs going overseas.

And there is no such thing as an "off the shelf design".  That is because even though the gauge may be standard, the clearance window varies from system to system.

I just find it very pathetic that there are people in social media that are excited and practically celebrating because the r211's are removed from service.

I even saw someone on Facebook spreading the false rumor that the r32's are returning to service.

I just hope that these knuckleheads realize that the r211's will return to service (it's a matter of when) and that they will become the most reliable subway fleets just like the r179's.

19 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I just find it very pathetic that there are people in social media that are excited and practically celebrating because the r211's are removed from service.

I even saw someone on Facebook spreading the false rumor that the r32's are returning to service.

I just hope that these knuckleheads realize that the r211's will return to service (it's a matter of when) and that they will become the most reliable subway fleets just like the r179's.

For...what reason? Cuz if they don't like them, they need to suck it up nd ride em

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

If they want the R32s back, tell them that go to the SBKRY, and attempt to BEG these people for the R32s back, and if they know how to fix them, which will required years of tools, then all I gotta say is good luck with that. It’s gonna take their whole paycheck x20 to get it back. 

4 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

"Buy America" is not nonsense because the manufacturing of the cars gives Americans jobs, rather than those jobs going overseas.

And there is no such thing as an "off the shelf design".  That is because even though the gauge may be standard, the clearance window varies from system to system.

Not to mention that we're talking about subway-oriented designs, not mainline railroad designs...

4 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

There will always be those kinds of people everytime a new train is introduced. Im sure this kind of attitude existed with the previous NTTs and continue to exist with future trains.

Maybe a time machine should be invented just to send those kinds of people to the 1970s and leave them there lol. /j

7 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

If anyone actually believes the r32s are coming back is just Beyond gullible

R32s can't comeback, it's way too late, new employees aren't trained on them and 90% of the fleet sat in storage since 2020 meaning it would take a lot to bring them back to operating condition for passenger service. 

It would cost way more to bring them back now vs. in 2020.

12 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Designs can be calibrated for system particularities. If Alstom and Siemens can build HSR trains in Europe with several different power systems, signaling regimens, and even different track guages (Spain) then that's not an issue. 

While in spirit I do in fact want American jobs here we need to face facts: We don't have the business demand of Europe or Asia for heavy rail equipment. We can dig our heels in and accept that only a few players will set up shop in the hopes of reeling in a "big fish" every 5 or 10 years of so or realize that if we're to expand upon the uptake of transit in this country we need to find a way to get costs down and this is one way in which it can be done. 

On 10/31/2023 at 3:07 AM, R32 3838 said:

R32s can't comeback, it's way too late, new employees aren't trained on them and 90% of the fleet sat in storage since 2020 meaning it would take a lot to bring them back to operating condition for passenger service. 

It would cost way more to bring them back now vs. in 2020.

Who even is saying the R32 are coming must be smoking something. It’s too expensive for those trains since the MTA don’t have spare parts or updated equipment to be compatible. Those trains are done no coming back. 

10 hours ago, Transit Fans said:

Who even is saying the R32 are coming must be smoking something. It’s too expensive for those trains since the MTA don’t have spare parts or updated equipment to be compatible. Those trains are done no coming back. 

It’s not so much saying they’re coming back, so much as demanding it. Every time the R211s have suffered even the slightest setback , they have started with this nonsense.

Many armchairs do not think before they speak. I had someone on the comments of one of my videos suggest the F should get the R143s.

I have been an MTA employee now for about 18 months. I am not trained on anything older than the R46s. You would need the exact opposite of the R211 protection crew to operate any R32s in service.

that being said. I will point out we do have the “movie train” (yes, that’s its sort-of-official name), but again, I have no clue what to do with it, and there several hundred people behind me on the B division conductor roster who don’t have a clue ether.