R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

17 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

2080? None of us will be around to see that 

Like I needed more existentialist thought today....

Thank you for that lmao

(Looking forward to these cars proving to be one of the most successful trains ever made for MTA. That's usually how this goes, right? Issues first, then a lifetime of accolades?)

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

So the r211 issue was resolved?

(1) yes

(2) testing on lines does not mean that the car is gonna see revenue service on that particular line. 
after what happened to the R46s on the Broadway line being vandalized a few weeks ago, they’re not putting newer cars until they see fit 

53 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

(1) yes

(2) testing on lines does not mean that the car is gonna see revenue service on that particular line. 
after what happened to the R46s on the Broadway line being vandalized a few weeks ago, they’re not putting newer cars until they see fit 

In response to (2) I am aware. My first reactions was to the R211 in general. I saw that video after.

11 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

So the r211 issue was resolved?

To confirm this, there are three R-211A trainsets in service as of today November 5:

1. 4060-4069 (pilot set, never removed from service)

2. 4130-4139 (8th and newest trainset to debut into service)

3. 4070-4074 + 4125-4129 (first production set to return to service after receiving gearbox repairs) 

The two above mentioned production sets returned to / debuted into service on Friday, November 3. 

As for 4075-4124 these units are still being worked on and will return to service in the next coming weeks however are currently still OOS as of November 5. 

I will also note while before there was previously an effort to keep the production sets away from running overnight as I would observe them returning to Pitkin after the evening, that both 4060-4069 and 4070-4074+4125-4129 ran all night last night. The announcement issue on 4060-4069 also seems to be cleared up as I witnessed it pass several times without any announcement issue. (I decided to stay out overnight and document the R46 on the Lefferts (S) while they're still out in force along with the extra hour last night and witnessed those R-211 sets out).

Edited by 4P3607

6 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

(1) yes

That's not always the case and you'll see some techs back on Broadway as the (B) will get tech trains for CBTC and would share it's techs with the (N) (Q) and (W) It'll be similar to where the (J)  & (Z) uses the (L) R143s or the CBTC equipped R160s from both the (L) and (M) lines along with their normal fleet of R179s.

11 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

That's not always the case and you'll see some techs back on Broadway as the (B) will get tech trains for CBTC and would share it's techs with the (N) (Q) and (W) It'll be similar to where the (J)  & (Z) uses the (L) R143s or the CBTC equipped R160s from both the (L) and (M) lines along with their normal fleet of R179s.

I could see them using the R211s from the B over the weekends on the N/Q, but that would be about it.  It won't be for a few years anyway.

20 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

To confirm this, there are three R-211A trainsets in service as of today November 5:

1. 4060-4069 (pilot set, never removed from service)

2. 4130-4139 (8th and newest trainset to debut into service)

3. 4070-4074 + 4125-4129 (first production set to return to service after receiving gearbox repairs) 

The two above mentioned production sets returned to / debuted into service on Friday, November 3. 

As for 4075-4124 these units are still being worked on and will return to service in the next coming weeks however are currently still OOS as of November 5. 

I will also note while before there was previously an effort to keep the production sets away from running overnight as I would observe them returning to Pitkin after the evening, that both 4060-4069 and 4070-4074+4125-4129 ran all night last night. The announcement issue on 4060-4069 also seems to be cleared up as I witnessed it pass several times without any announcement issue. (I decided to stay out overnight and document the R46 on the Lefferts (S) while they're still out in force along with the extra hour last night and witnessed those R-211 sets out).

Looks like the MTA working is good to have fun mixing some of the fleet that will be returning very soon. It’s amazing how fleet number 4125-4129 has been mix with 3 different fleets compare to the rest. Have you hear anything of the 9th set doing burning testing. 

On 11/5/2023 at 5:43 PM, FLX9304 said:

(1) yes

Broadway will have to wait until the r268's are in service to become 100% NTTs, not because of vandalism, but because Broadway is not getting CBTC in the foreseeable future.

Remember the r211's will run on lines that are currently running or will run of CBTC within the next 3-5 years.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Broadway will have to wait until the r268's are in service to become 100% NTTs, not because of vandalism, but because Broadway is not getting CBTC in the foreseeable future.

Remember the r211's will run on lines that are currently running or will run of CBTC within the next 3-5 years.

Maybe in addition to what I said above about them being used on weekends they'll throw a few into the Broadway N/Q fleet so it is not the only line to not have NTTs.  They did that with the R42s, assigning a small number to all the lines so every line would have some air conditioned cars, and then intermixed them with the other smees running on that line.  There was a good chance that you'd get at least one pair on any given train.

It is a long way off in any case.

Edited by zacster

16 minutes ago, zacster said:

Maybe in addition to what I said above about them being used on weekends they'll throw a few into the Broadway N/Q fleet so it is not the only line to not have NTTs.  They did that with the R42s, assigning a small number to all the lines so every line would have some air conditioned cars, and then intermixed them with the other smees running on that line.  There was a good chance that you'd get at least one pair on any given train.

It is a long way off in any case.

Option 2 will allow Broadway to get some NTTs, most likely r160's, due to ridership.

There is still a strong possibility that option 2 may consist of r211Ts. If that is the case, then it would make much more sense to have all open gangway trains go to the E/F because they are the most crowded lines in the B division.

17 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Option 2 will allow Broadway to get some NTTs, most likely r160's, due to ridership.

There is still a strong possibility that option 2 may consist of r211Ts. If that is the case, then it would make much more sense to have all open gangway trains go to the E/F because they are the most crowded lines in the B division.

The E and F are not the only once that are crowded. Also the A too since it’s the longest route which it requires open gangway. Better yet the A and F lines are the once mostly need king it being the longest route in the B division. 

46 minutes ago, Transit Fans said:

The E and F are not the only once that are crowded. Also the A too since it’s the longest route which it requires open gangway. Better yet the A and F lines are the once mostly need king it being the longest route in the B division. 

I definitely agree, the A and F need the R211T's

1 hour ago, 1998NewFlyer said:

I definitely agree, the A and F need the R211T's

The (F) once the Culver line becomes CBTC, and IF you can get good views of it. Cause in a few years, subway elevated viewing will only be seen by drones

the (A) <A>, consider that done! 

Edited by FLX9304

16 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Mechanical Problems 

Smoke Condition, FDNY had to be called to the scene. This was told to me by someone else and I did not see that set running for the remainder of the day (nor any R-211 for that matter however being in the Rockaways all day they could have been sending them to Lefferts)

4130-4139 is OOS at this time. 

7 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

Smoke Condition, FDNY had to be called to the scene. This was told to me by someone else and I did not see that set running for the remainder of the day (nor any R-211 for that matter however being in the Rockaways all day they could have been sending them to Lefferts)

4130-4139 is OOS at this time. 

Heard an R211 on the Liberty El at around 7PM headed southbound so there's definitely at least 1 set still running.

(North)4114-4110 + 4125-4129(South) has returned to service, currently heading uptown to 207th at Broad Channel at 12PM.

Edit: (Sorry for editing all the time, I often remember to add more info just after posting);

It just occured to me that 4125-4129 was previously linked with 4070-4075. This means an additional 5-car set has been returned to service, not a full 10-car train. 

Edited by 4P3607