R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

3 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

Y'all just makin shit up. HOW is it a setback for it to run on the (C)? The goal is to TEST it to see how it works in the system. Capacity (which is built in, btw) is irrelevant. 

It has to WORK before all else (which I don't see why it won't).

You know these peeps that they wanna run it on a busy line. Let’s start with the (C) first and see how it works with applied restrictions. Remember: it’s not up to these communities & politicians on about where the cars go. That’s the DOS/RTO’s call. 

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Let's not get excited.

The fact that the open gangway trains are only going to run on a subway line that doesn't have high ridership is a huge setback and defeats the purpose of having open gangway trains.

It is also an indication that moving forward the MTA will only stick to purchasing standard trains.

4 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

Y'all just makin shit up. HOW is it a setback for it to run on the (C)? The goal is to TEST it to see how it works in the system. Capacity (which is built in, btw) is irrelevant. 

It has to WORK before all else (which I don't see why it won't).

1 hour ago, FLX9304 said:

You know these peeps that they wanna run it on a busy line. Let’s start with the (C) first and see how it works with applied restrictions. Remember: it’s not up to these communities & politicians on about where the cars go. That’s the DOS/RTO’s call. 

The R211T's are basically a modern-day version of the R110's. It's meant to test the technology before the MTA decides if they want a full order. The fact that there are 2 versions of the concept clearly indicates that these aren't meant to be production cars. The fact that these issues like the smoke detectors are prevalent shows that even if the MTA wants to order these trains for their increased capacity a final version will most likely have more changes. Once you start seeing production cars then there's a good chance they'll get assigned to routes that need them. Testing new technology on less busy lines like the (C) makes sense because you have a controlled environment.

1 minute ago, IAlam said:

The R211T's are basically a modern-day version of the R110's. It's meant to test the technology before the MTA decides if they want a full order. The fact that there are 2 versions of the concept clearly indicates that these aren't meant to be production cars. The fact that these issues like the smoke detectors are prevalent shows that even if the MTA wants to order these trains for their increased capacity a final version will most likely have more changes. Once you start seeing production cars then there's a good chance they'll get assigned to routes that need them. Testing new technology on less busy lines like the (C) makes sense because you have a controlled environment.

But no, everyone wants the Ts to go on the (A)(E)(F), maybe even the (D), I'm pretty sure the open gangways are meant for walking through so you can get some space, not everyone's last resort on a crowded train, ykwim? I agree with this statement, but most people just don't understand that they have to be...tested. They can't just be thrown on a crowded line immediately, they can get tested on not-so-crowded lines...first. There's a bunch of teenaged foamers who can't agree with this, but it's mostly reality. This isn't targeted to you, but I'm just sayin. Everyone needs to at least deal with it. 'bUt WhEn ArE tHeY gOiNg oN tHe A?!? ThE d?!? ThE F?!? tHe N?!? Wait. This statement is everything but wrong.

Them deliveries are about to slap because there are a large chunk of cars at Nebraska already fully built ready to be delivered so expect to see more frequent deliveries. 

Regarding the r211T's, As much as it's questionable on putting them on the (C) and the the other issues that restrict these cars, It's better than nothing and once they fix all of the issues and whatnot, You'll either see these cars on other IND lines or the Rockaway Park shuttle.

8 hours ago, Ale188 said:

I'm happy but also concerned. What happened with 4075-94? Don't they still got flats? I thought they were going to resume after every car is fixed.

4079-4075+4109-4105 has been reported re-entered service 

21 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Okay, let's look at this from a standpoint of basic logic,

1: they are still based out of Pitkin, as that is the barn with the parts and experience to care for them, and where more testing can be done as needed.

2: Something is preventing them from running express, that smoke detector thing does make a lot of sense, but since I have not spoken to anyone in the know about it yet, I can't get confirmation about it.

If they can't run express, and you want them to still be based at Pitkin... What else is there to do but put them on the C? this also means they can be returned to the yard at night no matter what, no screwing around with the departures to ensure they're both laid up. 

The "smoke detector" or lack thereof is pretty much the reason why the R211Ts cannot operate on CPW and Fulton St Express in passenger service....

8 hours ago, SubBus said:

The "smoke detector" or lack thereof is pretty much the reason why the R211Ts cannot operate on CPW and Fulton St Express in passenger service....

oh, so its because there's a huge space between stations (time-wise), which would explain why 8 Av Express  was okay (Canal St to 59 St-Columbus Circle), since between two express stations, there is only one local station  and the time distance is okay. Also Central Park West  between 125 St and 168 St is okay.

Edited by darkstar8983

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

oh, so its because there's a huge space between stations (time-wise), which would explain why 8 Av Express  was okay (Canal St to 59 St-Columbus Circle), since between two express stations, there is only one local station  and the time distance is okay. Also Central Park West  between 125 St and 168 St is okay.

You don’t get the point. No express service on the R211T. If the R211T does operate express, it will without passengers. So it’s no use for that. 

50 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

You don’t get the point. No express service on the R211T. If the R211T does operate express, it will without passengers. So it’s no use for that. 

no, darkstar is right. I'm looking at the bulletin right now and it says just those two sections it is not allowed to be express. Euclid to Hoyt and 59 to 125. 

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

no, darkstar is right. I'm looking at the bulletin right now and it says just those two sections it is not allowed to be express. Euclid to Hoyt and 59 to 125. 

So it’s for safety reason’s why there T’s aren’t fully express if you really think about it. Open gateway between 59-125th a lot of things can happened and people are stuck if a dangerous situation were to happen 

21 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

4079-4075+4109-4105 has been reported re-entered service 

Wait so they remove 4095-4099 that was attached to 4105-4109. Did this happen because they want to attached 4090-4094  when it enters service with 4095-4099 has a whole set. 

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

https://gothamist.com/news/mtas-fancy-new-open-gangway-subway-trains-cant-run-on-express-tracks-per-memo

And now the news has caught wind of the leaked bulletin. Can't say I should be surprised, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

So did 2, 4, 5, 7 & 11, 41 & 47

Edited by FLX9304

12 hours ago, Vulturious said:

https://gothamist.com/news/mtas-fancy-new-open-gangway-subway-trains-cant-run-on-express-tracks-per-memo

And now the news has caught wind of the leaked bulletin. Can't say I should be surprised, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

You don't think a few reporters know to read this board, Subchat, Reddit, etc...?

42 minutes ago, zacster said:

You don't think a few reporters know to read this board, Subchat, Reddit, etc...?

“ MTA officials declined to provide further information. But after publication, Gothamist obtained a second memo, also dated Jan. 19, that provided an explanation: The design of the gangway trains “makes it impossible” for train operators to safely perform a required inspection following the activation of the emergency brakes.” 

58 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

the hard shell gangway and I believe whatever 4125-29 is hooked up to

Way 2 go! May your training be successful as the lord above wants you to do. Do it with determination and dedication and you’ll be operating on 2 lines depending on what assignment is given to you.