R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the point of completing the Second Avenue Subway??? The only thing we need from this line is A third storage track at phase 2, express tracks at phase 3 and a better integration with the existing system. If the current SAS stays the way it is, it's going to be the most expensive mistake the city has ever made

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Anyways, I think the R211 should only be assigned to the (A) and (R) trains, and maybe the (C)

Gotta disagree with that. The lower East side really needs another north south connection. Although, I don't understand some of the stop placements. East village is kind of skipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta disagree with that. The lower East side really needs another north south connection. Although, I don't understand some of the stop placements. East village is kind of skipped.

You have a point, but a better integration with the existing system is needed in some way

You have a point, but a better integration with the existing system is needed in some way

Probably, like a connection to first avenue on the L or something

Anyways, once all R211's come in, they will Replace the remaining R32's and R44's and some R46's. Therefore, any R160's or R179's lying around on the (C) can go to the (G)(J)(L)(M) and (Z) and use some R46's instead. The R211's should go to the (A) and (R) trains. The (F) can be all R160's thanks to the (C). And the (B) could gain some R68's or R179's

There won't be any after the 211s come in. Point blank. The 211s will be replacing the 46s. Thats why its such a large order.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

True, but that depends on how things go with the orders, if it goes well, then you're right, if there's a delay, then you already know

What exactly comprises PTC?

"The American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Association (AREMA) describes Positive Train Control as having these primary characteristics:[2]

• Train separation or collision avoidance
  • Line speed enforcement
  • Temporary speed restrictions
  • Rail worker wayside safety"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_train_control

"The American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Association (AREMA) describes Positive Train Control as having these primary characteristics:[2]

• Train separation or collision avoidance
  • Line speed enforcement
  • Temporary speed restrictions
  • Rail worker wayside safety"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_train_control

So in evaluation, CBTC is a form of PTC installed, which R211's will most likely have.

FWIW, that article is over a year old.

to ensure articles posted here are current, you should use the search tools function in the browser to limit results to the last two months. You can also specify a specific period using a range, or the wayback machine.

Eric Shields | MassTransitHonchkrow

Proud EasyPay Express Unlimited Customer - PPR mode

Level 5 Google Local Guide for Southern NY State

Check out my photography, DeskThemePacks and more -

https://masstransithonchkrow.deviantart.com/gallery

Sent from my HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC using Tapatalk using Remix OS

I'm starting to think the R211s might already be RETIRED before the full second avenue subway project is complete [emoji19][emoji19][emoji19][emoji19][emoji19][emoji19][emoji19]

I love this sarcasm. It's palpable [emoji13]

Operations planning isn't done based on whether or not something will be weird to transit fans; they're done based on what's practical and makes the most sense. One again, your suggestions don't make sense.

Your lack of reasoning mirrors my first six months on this forum. It's like a wayback machine meeting a looking glass.

The MTA is not an agency of bold decisions. Although your suggestions leave out other problems that may arise.

Transit is like a symbiotic relationship. Things need to work well together in order for anything to move forward.

The other synonym is bureaucracy.

Breaking news: The Montreal Gazette is reporting that Bombardier has been disqualified from the R211 RFP. The Journal de Montreal obtained an internal memo from Bombardier themselves.

An internal memo from Bombardier and obtained by the French-language daily indicates that Bombardier was excluded from a call for tender on a contract to construct up to 1,700 subway cars for the MTA.

In the memo, Benoît Brossoit, president of Bombardier Transport for the Americas, is quoted as noting that “our poor performance and serious delays … sealed the fate of our bid. Our actions exacerbated an already difficult transit situation in New York, and our client’s decision shows that the market is no longer disposed to accept delays in performance and to submit to the consequences of our actions.”

Bombardier was almost 24 months late in delivering 300 subway cars for another section of New York’s subway system. 

The report notes that the decision to dismiss Bombardier’s offer is a serious one, since the MTA has been dealing with the Quebec firm for nearly 35 years.

http://montrealgazette.com/business/local-business/bombardier-shut-out-of-n-y-subway-contract-because-of-poor-performance-report

Breaking news: The Montreal Gazette is reporting that Bombardier has been disqualified from the R211 RFP. The Journal de Montreal obtained an internal memo from Bombardier themselves.

http://montrealgazette.com/business/local-business/bombardier-shut-out-of-n-y-subway-contract-because-of-poor-performance-report

Then again, Alstom, Kawasaki, and (maybe) some other company might build the R211. Also for some reason, I felt like that Bombardier will be excluded from building the R211's, apparently my prediction was correct