R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

is it possible with the increasing options it could be enough to retire every old train which will result in the r68 being the old trains?

Tentatively, everything up to and including the R46s are supposed to go.  That would explain the increase in the order so the MTA doesn't wind up short like they did with the R179s.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1437355

The base order has changed to 450 cars (regular double end doors). Plus, 10-car prototype open gangway cars. All funded in the MTA 2015-2019 Capital Program.

The option cars out of 1,100 car order: if the 10 car open gangway car train is successful, MTA will order open gangway cars in the option order. The option order will be funded 2020-2024 Capital Program. Still unclear the amount of option order.

The Staten Island Railway replacement cars is still in the 2015-2019 Capital Program.

Update

The base order has changed to 450 cars (regular double end doors). Plus, 10-car prototype open gangway cars. All funded in the MTA 2015-2019 Capital Program.

The option cars out of 1,100 car order: if the 10 car open gangway car train is successful, MTA will order open gangway cars in the option order. The option order will be funded 2020-2024 Capital Program. Still unclear the amount of option order.

The Staten Island Railway replacement cars is still in the 2015-2019 Capital Program.

I already posted that.

Would they really build a facility just for an order?? How long would construction on just that facility take? What happens to the facility after this order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

could be used for other orders  that's what they want if say they win other orders such as BART or whoever else

What will be the numbers that the R211 will be assigned to both NYC Transit & the SIR?

It's wayyyyy to early to be thinking about numbers when we ding even know who's building them.

Would they really build a facility just for an order?? How long would construction on just that facility take? What happens to the facility after this order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can also serve as a parts and Rosie center afterwards

Update

The base order has actually been increased to 460 cars.

Whether or not CSSR partners with BBD (which would be a nail in the coffin for their bid on the R211s), I'm not so sure the MTA will even consider their bid at all given the urgency and scope of this contract.  The last thing they need is any more headaches because they simply went with the lowest bidder.  And as has been the case, CSSR's other orders are not up to snuff.  If the MTA were logical about this (which they're unfortunately not always), they should just give this contract to Alstom/Kawasaki already and figure out how to split the order.

Whether or not CSSR partners with BBD (which would be a nail in the coffin for their bid on the R211s), I'm not so sure the MTA will even consider their bid at all given the urgency and scope of this contract.  The last thing they need is any more headaches because they simply went with the lowest bidder.  And as has been the case, CSSR's other orders are not up to snuff.  If the MTA were logical about this (which they're unfortunately not always), they should just give this contract to Alstom/Kawasaki already and figure out how to split the order.

cause how is it that CSSR is winning bids left and right when they have no body of work in the western hemisphere? 

If they meet all the pre-qualification requirements then the MTA would have to consider them. It would be unwise, legally and politically, for MTA to bypass the competitive bid process. CRRC is made up of at least 3 different subsidiaries, all with different reputations. CRRC Sifang, who is building the CTA cars, is the one with the shoddy reputation. CRRC Changchun and CRRC Tangshan are the two other subsidiaries I know of that have better reputations. I can't seem to find which of the subsidiaries is collaborating with BBD on this order.

I can tell you like this. My prediction unless BBD comes up with some crazy plan to get all types of train into service by this time next year, Alstom/Kawasaki split like the R160 program. I can see Kawasaki providing the first open-gangway R211T prototype while Alstom simultaneously provides the first R211S.

Now if I were in charge, I would award somewhat of a 3-way split.

Bombardier/CRRC 211S then Qualify them for future R programs or even more R211 options based off this technical evaluation and the state of the R179 at award time.

Alstom/Kawasaki awards for 211A and T respectively.

This allows for greater competition, a higher quality standard, a 3-way redundancy plan, a reduction in associated costs, and be able to introduce trains 3 times faster than originally planned. If one of the train manufacturers fails to comply with terms as the way BBD recently has, the contract can easily be transferred to Alstom/Kawasaki and the risk will be greatly reduced. While the other programs will hopefully remain on schedule or close to schedule, the 211T can now join one of the others and we continue to move forward.

We then have trains completed by everyone who bid, and the new 2XX contract would be even more competitive and better for the MTA and even other agencies all around. Evaluate how all 3 of these trains types operate in what would essentially be the first ever Train Test And Evaluation program, very similar to what MTA now does within The Department of Buses.

I can tell you like this. My prediction unless BBD comes up with some crazy plan to get all types of train into service by this time next year, Alstom/Kawasaki split like the R160 program. I can see Kawasaki providing the first open-gangway R211T prototype while Alstom simultaneously provides the first R211S.

I'm all in for Kawasaki/Alstom winning this contract...if they can get their ride quality down. The Alstom & Kawasaki R160s ride horribly, along with the R142As, and now, the new R188s. The bucking in all of those trains is horrendous.

Meanwhile, the R142s are smooth as a daisy after all of these years. Those cars seem to be of higher quality than all of the Alstom/Kawasaki NTTs altogether.