R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

Simple, they low bid everyone else and those operators have to take the low bid.

Not always. It depends on what the contract type is. In an IFB (invitation for bid), which is highly unlikely for a subway car procurement, the TA would be forced to award the bid to the lowest responsible bidder. In an RFP (request for proposals), many​ factors are evaluated from each bidder, including technical approach, engineering competency, manufacturing capability, participation of women/minority-owned subcontractors, etc. In the MBTA's order, the bidders were evaluated on their technical merits before the price proposals were even opened. CRRC Changchun scored higher overall than BBD and Kawasaki. CRRC Sifang had also bid, but they scored very low and was eliminated before the price proposals were evaluated. Sifang is the subsidiary that recently gained attention in the news for shoddy quality in the Singapore MRT cars.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not always. It depends on what the contract type is. In an IFB (invitation for bid), which is highly unlikely for a subway car procurement, the TA would be forced to award the bid to the lowest responsible bidder. In an RFP (request for proposals), many​ factors are evaluated from each bidder, including technical approach, engineering competency, manufacturing capability, participation of women/minority-owned subcontractors, etc. In the MBTA's order, the bidders were evaluated on their technical merits before the price proposals were even opened. CRRC Changchun scored higher overall than BBD and Kawasaki. CRRC Sifang had also bid, but they scored very low and was eliminated before the price proposals were evaluated. Sifang is the subsidiary that recently gained attention in the news for shoddy quality in the Singapore MRT cars.

and supposedly i heard that they are funded by chinese govt

and supposedly i heard that they are funded by chinese govt

I mean, so what? Bombardier is funded by Canada. Alstom is funded by France. The Japanese fund basically all of their heavy industry.

There is no American railcar company anymore. So fretting about state interference is kinda pointless, since all of the other choices are funded by their home governments.

I mean, so what? Bombardier is funded by Canada. Alstom is funded by France. The Japanese fund basically all of their heavy industry.

There is no American railcar company anymore. So fretting about state interference is kinda pointless, since all of the other choices are funded by their home governments.

well since our president flipped on his rhetoric about china i guess it's pointless, plus what is siemens country of origin?

I think he's actually talking about the agencies that don't have a choice but to go with the lowest bidder.

CRRC Sifang had also bid, but they scored very low and was eliminated before the price proposals were evaluated. Sifang is the subsidiary that recently gained attention in the news for shoddy quality in the Singapore MRT cars.

well i heard since Crrc(SIFANG i guess) somehow won the bid for the cta 7000 cars and they scored on a 1-5 scale a 2.8  

A quick question about pilots: is it the MTA or the builder who determines the number of pilots and configurations of said pilot cars?

(For example, choosing to have one pilot R211S set and one pilot R211A set as opposed to just one R211A pilot set or two R211As)

I would safely assume its the MTA. Look at the previous orders, one pilot per configuration and usually per builder.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Imo, one of the reasons why the MTA is accelerating the delivery of the R211s is the fact that the R46s keep breaking down on a constant level.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thats not the main reason, the main reason is because they are replacing the remaing R32's and SIRT R44's first.

What I'm getting from this is that we will still get the promised number of cars, the order will just be confirmed and paid for at a later date. I think. If that is the case, I can live with that, as long as we still get the cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I'm getting from this is that we will still get the promised number of cars, the order will just be confirmed and paid for at a later date. I think. If that is the case, I can live with that, as long as we still get the cars.

The bigger issue is that Cuomo continues to play politics with infrastructure at the worst possible time.  We shouldn't even have to worry about the cars coming in later than possible, especially with all the fleet problems we've been having.  The R179s are way behind schedule (given that they're doing EMI testing now, I wouldn't be surprised if the delivery schedule has slipped even further), and the R32s, R42s, and R44s are hanging by threads.  We need new subway cars yesterday.

The bigger issue is that Cuomo continues to play politics with infrastructure at the worst possible time. We shouldn't even have to worry about the cars coming in later than possible, especially with all the fleet problems we've been having. The R179s are way behind schedule (given that they're doing EMI testing now, I wouldn't be surprised if the delivery schedule has slipped even further), and the R32s, R42s, and R44s are hanging by threads. We need new subway cars yesterday.

I don't think him playing politics is going to affect the order. One, the R179 order has already been spead up to get everything by September 2018. Also, it seems like this is just a case of paying for what needs to be paid for now. That doesn't mean it pushes back the R211 order.