R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

Breaking news: The Montreal Gazette is reporting that Bombardier has been disqualified from the R211 RFP. The Journal de Montreal obtained an internal memo from Bombardier themselves.

http://montrealgazette.com/business/local-business/bombardier-shut-out-of-n-y-subway-contract-because-of-poor-performance-report

Is it too early to congratulate Alstom/Kawasaki on a successful bid? In all seriousness, I cannot say I'm surprised. We really cannot afford any delays on the 211 order, especially to the magnitude that we've seen with the 179's, as the existing fleet is showing its age.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it too early to congratulate Alstom/Kawasaki on a successful bid? In all seriousness, I cannot say I'm surprised. We really cannot afford any delays on the 211 order, especially to the magnitude that we've seen with the 179's, as the existing fleet is showing its age.

Hey I said that Alstom and Kawasaki MIGHT build the R211, not that they will. But in my opinion, I think that they'll be awarded with the contract

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I know. My comment wasn't directed to you. AK and Bombardier are currently the only two vendors with experience in building cars for NYC Transit. I was remarking that with one of them out of the running, the other is the winner by default. That is, of course, unless some other outside vendor manages to wiggle their way into the final legs of the bidding process.

Bombardier makes made good trains...

Fixed that for you. While they have made some great workhorses for the various transit systems over the years, their recent manufacturing issues are a serious problem right now. Remember, we rejected the original prototype for the 179s because of shoddy welding on their part. Most transit systems, ours included, cannot afford to wait for Bombardier to get its act together. It makes much more sense to exclude them from this order, watch how they handle orders from other transit systems and potentially get them back in the bidding process for the next one.

but isn't Boston Chicago and Los Angeles doing theirs on their own 

Yes, but also our 5000's had issues with the beams underneath (when they came out) and became a pain for the CTA. Not that it matters, but Chicago has a plant for CRRC to build and Bombardier got butthurt about this.

How would you peg my age? I hate slang and how young people speak today.

An absence of slang makes it harder to estimate. I use full proper sentences in my communications most of the time, and people think I’m some grouchy old man until they meet me. Technically, I am, but I pass for a high schooler.

An absence of slang makes it harder to estimate. I use full proper sentences in my communications most of the time, and people think I’m some grouchy old man until they meet me. Technically, I am, but I pass for a high schooler.

Same here, but people are either impressed or surprised with how I talk.