R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

6 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The 672 remaining r211's can retire the worst performing r68's. The MTA will need to add an additional option order of r211's to replace the remaining r68's and avoid any car shortages.

I don't think it's a good idea to create a separate car order to replace the r68's. The r179's are a good example of that.

The MTA needs to hire staff just like the old days to quickly change the rollsigns at Astoria. 

IMO any NTT's that go to CIY needs to go primarily to the B/Q trains. Keep in mind that the only Broadway lines that do get rerouted on 6th Avenue are the Q and R trains. The N can still use NTTs during the weekends.

In my opinion, the (Q) is highly likely to be full SMEE, and the (N) and (W) will get the NTTs, primarily for the projects coming up on the lines. 

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So much oh "The (N)(W) deserve techs" on here.

Listen, Between here on reddit, Facebook and you tube. It's getting tiring and it shows what type of people you are when it comes to this. The (N)(W) as well as the (Q) doesn't have tech trains no more because of Queens CBTC. 8th ave will be getting CBTC,  So by default the (A)(C) will need techs and it would make sense for them to just get the R211s instead of r160s from Jamaica. R211s have to test and etc. in queens to make sure there isn't issues before eventually throwing R211s on the (E)(F) lines.

The (B)(D) will have to get tech trains by default because of 8th ave CBTC and the fact that it starts at 59th st CC.

You (N)(W) people are starting to sound real entitled (Not surprised looking at the neighborhoods it serves) and quite frankly it's getting annoying. The (N)(W) probably would get the R160s back anyway since the (B) needs them for 8th ave CBTC.

Edited by R32 3838

45 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Listen, Between here on reddit, Facebook and you tube. It's getting tiring and it shows what type of people you are when it comes to this. The (N)(W) as well as the (Q) doesn't have tech trains no more because of Queens CBTC. 8th ave will be getting CBTC,  So by default the (A)(C) will need techs and it would make sense for them to just get the R211s instead of r160s from Jamaica. R211s have to test and etc. in queens to make sure there isn't issues before eventually throwing R211s on the (E)(F) lines.

The (B)(D) will have to get tech trains by default because of 8th ave CBTC and the fact that it starts at 59th st CC.

You (N)(W) people are starting to sound real entitled (Not surprised looking at the neighborhoods it serves) and quite frankly it's getting annoying. The (N)(W) probably would get the R160s back anyway since the (B) needs them for 8th ave CBTC.

Sir, I’m unbiased as an (N)(W) rider could be. I agree with all your claims.

The sad thing is, SMEEs and where they should go has always been a touchy subject. In all honesty, I want the best for the (N)(Q)(W), but I do understand that the lines (CPW + 8th Ave) need it more. I put the (MTA) before my interests. 

The sad thing, Astoria residents + Broadway riders are a bit…. Childish when it comes to this. No offense, but most of you guys are not thinking on the convenience side of things for the (MTA).

What they don’t understand is, Coney is last priority for —ANY— types of New Tech Cars, as they don’t have any CBTC projects scheduled (Astoria would be the first). My assignments would be to try to make the IND full NTT before we even touch the BMT, as the IND is the main focus for CBTC right now.

It’s not just the riders, though. The (MTA) is also held responsible for this. They’re not taking the appropriate measures to ensure support from Astoria. I have seen many people complain about wrong rollsigns, bad headways, and many more issues including Air Conditioners.

In conclusion, both sides have to improve before we can have flexibility from Astoria riders/bway riders and less complaints to the MTA from these two parties. My take. Carry on.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

I agree with you 100%. I've seen this on YouTube. NW people are acting like spoiled brats. They need to relax and suck it up with the SMEE's for the next 7 years (which is less years than the A/C riders who for a much longer time had to ride the worst performing cars in the system). They had NTTs before and will get them again. At least the r68's are in better shape than the r46's.

The rollsign issues on the N/W can easily be fixed with more people at Astoria to change the rollsigns.

The only CIY train that needs to be 100% NTT is the B. As for the NQW, it's a numbers game. It all depends on how many r160's gets displaced from Jamaica.

29 minutes ago, Storm said:

The sad thing is, SMEEs and where they should go has always been a touchy subject. In all honesty, I want the best for the (N)(Q)(W), but I do understand that the lines (CPW + 8th Ave) need it more. I put the (MTA) before my interests. 

The sad thing, Astoria residents + Broadway riders are a bit…. Childish when it comes to this. No offense, but most of you guys are not thinking on the convenience side of things for the (MTA).

What they don’t understand is, Coney is last priority for —ANY— types of New Tech Cars, as they don’t have any CBTC projects scheduled (Astoria would be the first). My assignments would be to try to make the IND full NTT before we even touch the BMT, as the IND is the main focus for CBTC right now.

It’s not just the riders, though. The (MTA) is also held responsible for this. They’re not taking the appropriate measures to ensure support from Astoria. I have seen many people complain about wrong rollsigns, bad headways, and many more issues including Air Conditioners.

In conclusion, both sides have to improve before we can have flexibility from Astoria riders/bway riders and less complaints to the MTA from these two parties. My take. Carry on.

Headways are bad on other lines are as well, including some A division lines.

I don't know what is going on with the MTA. Why are they reducing service in the last few weeks? Even during rush hours, I have been seeing frequencies between 10-15 and trains super packed. It's getting hot, it's unsafe, it's unacceptable and they are still mandating masks in this heat. People are not wearing them.

36 minutes ago, Storm said:

The best huh....... In that case, I want the best for the (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(A)(B)(C)(D)(E)(F)(G)(J)(L)(M) hell even the(SIR) sigh need I go on.

Edited by jon2305

11 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Headways are bad on other lines are as well, including some A division lines.

I don't know what is going on with the MTA. Why are they reducing service in the last few weeks? Even during rush hours, I have been seeing frequencies between 10-15 and trains super packed. It's getting hot, it's unsafe, it's unacceptable and they are still mandating masks in this heat. People are not wearing them.

Guess you missed the memo on crew shortages. 

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I don't work for the MTA.

I know there were crew shortage earlier this year due to omicron, but I thought that was solved.

Even before the pandemic they had shortages but its been made worse with the pandemic and probably wont be solved for some time. 

5 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I agree with you 100%. I've seen this on YouTube. NW people are acting like spoiled brats. They need to relax and suck it up with the SMEE's for the next 7 years (which is less years than the A/C riders who for a much longer time had to ride the worst performing cars in the system). They had NTTs before and will get them again. At least the r68's are in better shape than the r46's.

The rollsign issues on the N/W can easily be fixed with more people at Astoria to change the rollsigns.

The only CIY train that needs to be 100% NTT is the B. As for the NQW, it's a numbers game. It all depends on how many r160's gets displaced from Jamaica.

Ya wanna spoiled well look no further to the goddamn (E) riders. They complain about EVERYTHING. The real why they got rid of the R32s R42s and R46s on the (E) was due Malcolm Smith and the Whiny Springfield and E riders. But to be fair it makes more sense to just get extra R211s to replace the R68s cause they getting more expensive to repair

1 hour ago, Amiri the subway guy said:

Ya wanna spoiled well look no further to the goddamn (E) riders. They complain about EVERYTHING. The real why they got rid of the R32s R42s and R46s on the (E) was due Malcolm Smith and the Whiny Springfield and E riders. But to be fair it makes more sense to just get extra R211s to replace the R68s cause they getting more expensive to repair

Malcolm Smith! There’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time. Didn’t he get sent to prison? It’s just a damn shame that he didn’t use his pull when he was State Senate Majority Leader to push for an (E) extension to Southeast Queens. That might’ve caused some of the complaining to die down. Can’t say I totally blame them. I’d complain too if I had to take a slow bus into crowded downtown Jamaica for an SRO (E) train. That’s why I stopped taking the Q16 bus to the (7) in Flushing.

What’s interesting is that R46s were replaced with R32s on the (E) not long after the R46s were overhauled in 1990-91. It was found that the 60-footers handled the crowds better than the 75-footers. R46s have run on the (E), but only on a sporadic basis ever since. And the R160s were purchased to replace the R32s and R42s. They would have all been reefed if it hadn’t been for the structural problems with the R44 cars. The R44s were supposed to last longer in service. However, they really should have ordered more R160s to bump off the R32s and R42s that had to be kept as a result of the R44 problems. Perhaps a group of people better at managing money and contracts than the MTA’s brain trust would have. But it is what it is and at least the (A) and (C) have new R179 cars now and will be getting the base R211 order, as they should.

7 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I wonder if that’s why we get so many people throwing cold water on any ideas to de-interline Broadway. That somehow, Astoria Line riders feel entitled to have both a Broadway Local and an express. Except they didn’t always. Prior to 1986, they only had the (RR) train. With 15 tph. Then from 1989-2001, they had just the (N). With 11 tph (some rush hour trains turned at Canal or Whitehall back then). 

It’s true that the R68 series are in better shape than the R46s. They’ve probably got another decade left in them. They have to run somewhere. But I think it’s a bit much to expect the R68 series to last as long as the 220-plus R32s that weren’t sunken off the coast did (58 years). Or any subsequent new car order. 

1 hour ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Malcolm Smith! There’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time. Didn’t he get sent to prison? It’s just a damn shame that he didn’t use his pull when he was State Senate Majority Leader to push for an (E) extension to Southeast Queens. That might’ve caused some of the complaining to die down. Can’t say I totally blame them. I’d complain too if I had to take a slow bus into crowded downtown Jamaica for an SRO (E) train. That’s why I stopped taking the Q16 bus to the (7) in Flushing.

What’s interesting is that R46s were replaced with R32s on the (E) not long after the R46s were overhauled in 1990-91. It was found that the 60-footers handled the crowds better than the 75-footers. R46s have run on the (E), but only on a sporadic basis ever since. And the R160s were purchased to replace the R32s and R42s. They would have all been reefed if it hadn’t been for the structural problems with the R44 cars. The R44s were supposed to last longer in service. However, they really should have ordered more R160s to bump off the R32s and R42s that had to be kept as a result of the R44 problems. Perhaps a group of people better at managing money and contracts than the MTA’s brain trust would have. But it is what it is and at least the (A) and (C) have new R179 cars now and will be getting the base R211 order, as they should.

I wonder if that’s why we get so many people throwing cold water on any ideas to de-interline Broadway. That somehow, Astoria Line riders feel entitled to have both a Broadway Local and an express. Except they didn’t always. Prior to 1986, they only had the (RR) train. With 15 tph. Then from 1989-2001, they had just the (N). With 11 tph (some rush hour trains turned at Canal or Whitehall back then). 

It’s true that the R68 series are in better shape than the R46s. They’ve probably got another decade left in them. They have to run somewhere. But I think it’s a bit much to expect the R68 series to last as long as the 220-plus R32s that weren’t sunken off the coast did (58 years). Or any subsequent new car order. 

If it weren’t for CBTC, R68s would be able to thrive on the (Q) and (N)(W) until 2030-35. Alas, with CBTC,  one of the main goals is to get SMEES out of the system at a faster pace than usual. If I were the (MTA), I’d add a third option order (I know, I’ve heard the cries of “we’re going broke!”), to completely replace R68s and put em as spares on the (N)(Q)(W) if anything happens. This would’ve been avoided if the (MTA) put a 3rd option order for R160s.

As for your quote on “people throwing cold water on deinterlining on broadway,” that is not necessarily the case. In my opinion, even though broadway is last priority for NTTs and CBTC (as it’s one of the lowest ridership trunks), it should be the first to be deinterlined. Aka, (R) to Astoria, (N)(Q) to 96th, (N) bway exp full time, etc etc. 

As for CBTC in areas like 4th Ave, Astoria, Sea Beach, Brighton, and Dekalb, we have to wait for the (N)(Q) to get NTTs, which would hopefully happen sometime later this decade. Carry on.

7 hours ago, Amiri the subway guy said:

As Much as I hated those (E) riders for bitching back then, There was a reason. The R42s showing up on the (E) while downstairs had new trains was the tipping point. R46s were taken off the (E) because of slow dwell time in 1991.

R32s stayed on the (E) until 7 months after the R160s debuted on the (E) in December of 2008.

13 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

As Much as I hated those (E) riders for bitching back then, There was a reason. The R42s showing up on the (E) while downstairs had new trains was the tipping point. R46s were taken off the (E) because of slow dwell time in 1991.

R32s stayed on the (E) until 7 months after the R160s debuted on the (E) in December of 2008.

Wasn’t the (E) fully R160 before QBL CBTC?

Today I’m really mad.

At Union Square today, I looked at the electronic screen, and it said the next (N) train was in 33 minutes, then 49 minutes. I was shocked. While I looked on the (L), the next trains were in 2 minutes, then 10 minutes. I know that the (MTA) is focusing on improving the IND with CBTC and other features, but come on. 33 minutes? Ridiculous. I was so mad as today I waited for over half an hour for my train, only for it to be an R46 that was moving extremely slowly.

When the (N)(W) are fully R68s, it’s gonna cause even more of a problem, because R68 rollsigns take a while to switch, meaning even LESS trains then right now (the R46 electronic screens are saving us). I worry for broadway. The headways are terrible. Once, the next (Q) was an hour away. Pay attention to the whole system, not just the (E) and (F)(MTA).

Edited by Storm
I had to fix some mistakes.

4 hours ago, Storm said:

Today I’m really mad.

At Union Square today, I looked at the electronic screen, and it said the next (N) train was in 33 minutes, then 49 minutes. I was shocked. While I looked on the (L), the next trains were in 2 minutes, then 10 minutes. I know that the (MTA) is focusing on improving the IND with CBTC and other features, but come on. 33 minutes? Ridiculous. I was so mad as today I waited for over half an hour for my train, only for it to be an R46 that was moving extremely slowly.

When the (N)(W) are fully R68s, it’s gonna cause even more of a problem, because R68 rollsigns take a while to switch, meaning even LESS trains then right now (the R46 electronic screens are saving us). I worry for broadway. The headways are terrible. Once, the next (Q) was an hour away. Pay attention to the whole system, not just the (E) and (F)(MTA).

You realize that there is still a crew shortage right?

Also Something could have happened that caused trains to be delayed.

Broadway could be 100% tech trains and you would still have the same result.

The excuses and reasons for Broadway to NTTs are funny. Some of you guys say “ the destination “. Okay. So when I a train pul into the station , don’t the train has the route bullet. Another thing , when your in a station don’t it says “ Uptown & Queen  “ or “ Downtown and Brooklyn “. I’ll do even better , on the platform doesn’t it always  to Coney Island or  to 96- 2 Ave. Most commuters don’t care about if it’s new or old. It’s just getting from point A to point B. The R68/A are one of the most reliable cars we have. It’s a shame how y’all down play them. CIY would be happy to have them. So all the destination , LCD screen problem is straight crack. All y’all know how to get home right ???

5 hours ago, Storm said:

Today I’m really mad.

There were a lot of delays on a handful of subway lines due to signal issues and sick passengers.

Instead of waiting 33 minutes for the N, you could have just taken the R, W, or the 4/5 depending where were you going.

Like I said in a previous post the rollsign issues can be easily fixed by having staff at Astoria to change the rollsigns. They did it in the past and they can do it again in the present and future.

15 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

There were a lot of delays on a handful of subway lines due to signal issues and sick passengers.

Instead of waiting 33 minutes for the N, you could have just taken the R, W, or the 4/5 depending where were you going.

Like I said in a previous post the rollsign issues can be easily fixed by having staff at Astoria to change the rollsigns. They did it in the past and they can do it again in the present and future.

See, I was going to Astoria. The next (W) train, believe it or not, was the same amount of time away.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

You realize that there is still a crew shortage right?

Also Something could have happened that caused trains to be delayed.

Broadway could be 100% tech trains and you would still have the same result.

At least we’re going to be getting a new batch of O/T’s and C/D’s shortly.

On 6/8/2022 at 9:33 PM, Storm said:

At least we’re going to be getting a new batch of O/T’s and C/D’s shortly.

I hope the new crew start working soon because subway frequencies need to improve, especially now that it's getting hot and the MTA expects people to keep wearing masks in this heat and long wait times.

Also, more bus drivers are needed as well.

It seems to me the (MTA) is in multiple sticky situations right now. Farebeating, no funding, CBTC, COVID-19, and even more.

Funding with the (MTA) is currently terrible. It didn’t get better with COVID. This clearly shows the (MTA) is not good with managing money.

Which brings me to my next topic.
Remember, in 2020, when the (J)(Z) had to run 42s, the (C) had to run 32s and so on, because of the R179 order? Well, all of that could have been avoided with a 3rd option to 160s. CBTC could’ve been started earlier, including 8th Ave and 6th Ave, and the 211s could’ve solely gone to Jamaica to displace some 160s to the (N)(Q)(W), and the B Division would’ve been fully NTT with the 211s. The (MTA) is literally on the edge of extinction currently. What would make the most sense is to order a third option order consisting of 700 cars, and maybe give that contract to the #2 bidder. So, we could have the B division fully NTT by 2027-28, and get CBTC done earlier.
What’s wrong with keeping the 68s until they’re completely falling apart is, once every trunk except broadway has CBTC and broadway is fully R68, a single hiccup in broadway could send all the lines that interline with the (N)(Q)(W) into shambles. 

With my plans, base order would go to the (A)(C) (R211A-1 *hypothetical +10 car), 1st option would go to the (B)(D) (R211A-1) and (M) (R211A-2 *hypothetical + 8 car), 2nd option order would go to the (E)(F) (R211T), and the final option would go to the (N)(Q)(W) (R211B *hypothetical + 10 car)

With farebeating, the (MTA) will have to explore other options, like some other companies who are experimenting with reduced fares and free buses.

Most of these are solely my opinion. Don’t take this as reality, only ideas. Carry on.