R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

Its not about the tunnels but more the tolerances of the articulation of the cars without the cars sharing a truck.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

My boss said that the axle loading of a articulated car would be too high for transit's standards today

Also to the dude who was stalking the yard the other day with a radio who tried to get passed the property protection agent to "work on the R179s" uhhhh yeah the police have been notified... smh

And on top of it it was the same guy who is ALWAYS creeping on the train too.

some of yall never learn. 

Edited by CarInspector 848

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also to the dude who was stalking the yard the other day with a radio who tried to get passed the property protection agent to "work on the R179s" uhhhh yeah the police have been notified... smh

Oh, lord...

My boss said that the axle loading of a articulated car would be too high for transit's standards today

See. The problem is that most, including myself, haven't completed engineering 101. When its explained that the Axel loading would be too high for today's transit standards, its forgotten that 1)its not an articulated car, since both won't share a truck and 2) the newer numbers are based on things that none of us have put into play which, if we did, we'd be full engineers with a full logical answer for this. Its why they are going to test a ten car set before ordering a full option order.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Its not about the tunnels but more the tolerances of the articulation of the cars without the cars sharing a truck.

If the cars aren't sharing a truck, then that's technically "open gangway" and not "articulated". 

But I think I know what you mean. They were worried that the ends might shift and/or bend too much on some curves to be connected. As I understand it, people have spotted trains that seem to be measuring this very issue. Apparently those tests were successful, because at the most recent MTA board meeting, they said they are now 100% confident that open-gangway trains can work on the NYC system. 

Just wondering what's the standard?. FTA? Safety? New impact regulations? NYC had articulate BMT cars correct? These had to be from the 1910's or 1920's made of pure steel had to be a tank and the axles, rail's and roadbeds supported them then. You have so much stronger composites nowadays, Carbon fibers alloy etc. Stronger cars and lighter as well. Just curious to what changed?

Just wondering what's the standard?. FTA? Safety? New impact regulations? NYC had articulate BMT cars correct? These had to be from the 1910's or 1920's made of pure steel had to be a tank and the axles, rail's and roadbeds supported them then. You have so much stronger composites nowadays, Carbon fibers alloy etc. Stronger cars and lighter as well. Just curious to what changed?

I would imagine that the introduction of AC has made later cars much heavier than their forebears, not to mention all the wiring and stuff that has made much of the NTT possible.

I would imagine that the introduction of AC has made later cars much heavier than their forebears, not to mention all the wiring and stuff that has made much of the NTT possible.

. Ummm it's a possibility. I think this would've definitely been true for 1950-1970 era cars AC was a fairly new thing at this time. There's been so much optimization and miniaturization of HVAC equipment in the last 30-40 years A lot of this is also benefiting from new new lighter materials. I can see that in my standard air-conditioning units compared to the one my grandmother had back 70/80s. Even Motors and gears are a lot lighter. Yeah wiring but you'd balance that in other places.So I'm not so sure. Those BMT had to be coming up on 100k Lbs without AC NTT cars are what 80-85k? With dual HVAC? Again this might've held true for SMEE. I don't think this is the current narrative or at least moving into the next 10 to 20 years. Only thing I can think of is more stringent standards for Transit Cars. Maybe those BMT cars cause a lot of wear and tear? But it's been done before.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by RailRunRob

• 3 weeks later...

Alstom, Bombardier, CSSR, and Kawasaki.

My money is on a split award between Alstom and Kawasaki, or a sole award to Kawasaki.

For the new guys, I've directly consulted with the MTA on many occasions and I am the direct cause of many implementations to the system over the last 10 years. The veteran members, employees, and staff at NYCTF have witnessed many of these moments in TA history All my contacts are confidential, but they are the at the top of the food chain. 90% of what I post is not public information at my time of posting. For example. The original threads on the R179, R188, and R211 were posted at the time I got confirmation on the pending contracts, even if they were not yet complete.

In the case of the R211 right now, MTA is set to award a contract for consulting on the program soon, and the information will be made public at the upcoming board meeting. They will also discuss a timeline, that will hint at what I mentioned about the pending contract award this fall. Hey will also mention that post-award consulting will still be needed at the end of the year. That will confirm my timeline.

Please note that even though 98% of what I have posted over the last 10 years at some point in the future was confirmed. The other 2% was confirmed, however the details changed, or something was cancelled. So just for the ones that don't know me, many things that I post won't even be able to be verified by any managers or supervisors within the MTA until it's signed off on. That's how I got the nick name East New York, Transit HQ from a few at the MTA. I'm a transit improvement consultant, and behind the scenes it's my job as well as my passion to advocate for public transportation and ensure we move forward, and not backwards.

I don't post as much as I used to because I like to wait for some things to hit the press either by request of the MTA, or big news I know people will meet with opposition or 2 million questions. 10 years ago, or even 4 for that matter I would argue and go back and forth. After nearly 10 years of posting here now I've learned to not put so much out because many are too immature to handle it, or too bitter to actually have an intellectual conversation about it. I don't post a source quote or link on hardly any of my discussions because ALL my sources are MTA insiders, or Transit Vendors. I rarely post 3rd party into, so no source is needed.

Those are the 4 manufacturing firms that expressed interest. I think the TA is giving them a chance to prove themselves by years end. It's not looking good though, I can tell you that for sure.

i guess the word that BBD was disqualified was false?  and i am suprised they don't go with CAF or breda which is now under japanese control known as Hitachi

Edited by BreeddekalbL