R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

The Chinese qualified thanks to that modified R68 on the (G) IIRC

That was a component system, not an entire car lol. I'm not sure that supplying a single system automatically qualifies a builder to supply a fully functional car. But then again, this is the TA, so anything could happen lol.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Train Of the Future. Countdown to R211. Ladies and gentleman, without further adoo, the R211 Program Update for April 2017.

1.) Preliminary Assignments and Official Designations.

• R211A 60-foot cars with end doors (A)(R)(F) and and a few to test on the (E) bumping some R160's.
  • R211S 60-foot FRA cars with end doors for SIR.
  • R211T 60-foot Open-gangway prototype cars exclusively for test and evaluation on the (A).

If all trains have a smooth entry into service, MTA will move to immediately award all options, which will also introduce more open gang-way trains. If this proves to be successful, this will be the wave of the future. 

2.) Note the EIS of the R179 and time frame of the actual delivery for R211 will lay a major part in future assignments. The R211's are expected to replace ALL R32, and R46 models. The remaining balance of the R179 fleet is planned to replace the R42's.

3.) The remaining balance of R211A's options would end up on the (T) train if so happens to exist at that time. 

It is unclear at this time MTA would move to convert any A options to T model trains models depending on evaluation.

Sources: RTO, ENY, DCE

If the prototype is a success on the A, do you expect the rest of them to go to the (E) and the (F)? Thanks for the update!

If the prototype is a success on the A, do you expect the rest of them to go to the (E) and the (F)? Thanks for the update!

I doubt that. It's just the 10 car prototype for now. 

If they even did convert options from A to T, the (G)(B) and (D) should get them first...

Damnn, it would've been nice of the SIR R211s had the open-gangways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the plan is to keep them single cars like the current R44s

If they even did convert options from A to T, the (G)(B) and (D) should get them first...

Not even in a utopia the (B), (D) and (G) lines will get the R211s lol.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Edited by DJ TORO

Why would they go on the (G)(B) and (D)? Open gangway cars increase capacity and that would do a lot on the crowded (E) and (F). Putting on the routes you suggested wouldn't make any sense.

Why would they go on the (G)(B) and (D)? Open gangway cars increase capacity and that would do a lot on the crowded (E) and (F). Putting on the routes you suggested wouldn't make any sense.

To get the 75' cars off those lines ASAP...

They would particularly help with the (G) because the 1st and 4th cars are usually the most crowded (due to the positioning of the exits along the (G) and the train's short length) and open gangways would allow passengers to spread out. 

The (B) would be okay with R160's but I do think crowding on the (D) has reached the point where open gangway cars are necessary.

The (E) and (F) could use some open gangway trains, but I would just spread the love a bit...

They would particularly help with the (G) because the 1st and 4th cars are usually the most crowded (due to the positioning of the exits along the (G) and the train's short length) and open gangways would allow passengers to spread out. 

The (B) would be okay with R160's but I do think crowding on the (D) has reached the point where open gangway cars are necessary.

The (E) and (F) could use some open gangway trains, but I would just spread the love a bit...

The (G) is understandable, but why the (D) over the (E) and (F)?

The (A)(E) and (F) Trains needs the open gangway cars more than the (B)(D)(G) lines.

Ugh....

For those who are aching for new cars on the (B) and (D), y'all gonna have to wait 10 years. As for the (G), well I always thought​ it was possible for the 211s to end up on the (G) as well. Maybe I'm wrong but we'll see.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The 211s will likely go to the current mainstays of the 46s, which are the (A)(F) and (R) lines, and there is a reason for this. CBTC signal installation is either in the construction, planning or design stage for Queens Blvd between Union Turnpike and 50 Street, 8th Avenue between 59 St-Columbus Circle and High St, and the Culver line from Church Av to West 8 Street. Sense a pattern here? As we all know, once CBTC is installed and operational, provisional start date set sometime in the early 2020s, the older trains will not be able to run on these lines. I feel that if the MTA were smart (I know, shut up), they'd put these new cars on these lines in preparation for this expected occurrence. After all, we do not know when the agency plans to replace the 68s; we just know the end of their nominal lifespan occurs in 2026 or so.

On a side note, I really can't see the 68s retiring off any line besides the (D). It's like one of the few constants in life: the sun rises in the east, the two things you can't escape are death and taxes and the (D) will always use 68s.

Take a gander at the (L) line. Do you still see a conductor and train operator on every train? That will likely not change despite expansion of CBTC. The subway is much too busy and crowded to rely on one-person train operation or no train crew at all.

Take a gander at the (L) line. Do you still see a conductor and train operator on every train? That will likely not change despite expansion of CBTC. The subway is much too busy and crowded to rely on one-person train operation or no train crew at all.

Ah ok, just making sure.

Another question; with CBTC on the (L), are there certain areas where the train operator must take over?

Nonsense. When the train is moving, the conductor is doing nothing. When the doors are open, the operator is doing nothing. There is no reason one person can't do the job. That's how most systems in the world operate, even the busiest ones. 

No one needs to lose their job. Phasing out conductors line by line as people retire is easy and sensible. 

Unions can and should ensure their workers are safe and paid fairly. But when they fight to keep unnecessary positions, seemingly just to pad their dues income, I'm sorry, that pisses me off. 

Nonsense. When the train is moving, the conductor is doing nothing. When the doors are open, the operator is doing nothing. There is no reason one person can't do the job. That's how most systems in the world operate, even the busiest ones.

No one needs to lose their job. Phasing out conductors line by line as people retire is easy and sensible.

Unions can and should ensure their workers are safe and paid fairly. But when they fight to keep unnecessary positions, seemingly just to pad their dues income, I'm sorry, that pisses me off.

You really think one operator can both keep an eye on the screens in front of him/her and check for draggers 600 feet away?

To add on, the only thing that I could see happening is that the conductor's job is converted to a platform job at the busier stations. However, that will just add to the number of people required to do the job, so the MTA isn't really saving any money from such an idea. Even if it was cost-effective, such a shift would place a heavier burden on the operator. All it would take is one high-profile incident at a station with blind spots, like West Farms Sq or worse, Union Square on the downtown Lex platforms for everyone to cry foul about one-person operation.

You really think one operator can both keep an eye on the screens in front of him/her and check for draggers 600 feet away?

With enough cameras in the right places, yes. That's exactly what most systems around the world do.  

Also they can't check for draggers once the train is in motion. They are far too busy driving the train to be looking at the cameras either on the train and they can't see the ones on the platform as they pulls off obv.

Edited by danielhg121

Ah ok, just making sure.

Another question; with CBTC on the (L), are there certain areas where the train operator must take over?

At least one of their trips of the day has to be done manually. Also during wet weather since those trains slide everywhere

Actually, no they don't.

Sure other systems use cameras but there is no system on the planet that runs 600 foot trains and uses OPTO.

What about BART, they have their own CBTC, with only a driver, and their longest trains are 700ft long.

Even WMATA has just a driver with no conductor, their trains are just as long as MTAs.

Only thing about NYC is the curved platforms, all of BARTs platforms are straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888