R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's not much the MTA can do if they choose not to bid.

ahh i see it got me thinking since they don't want to bid for the cars since they are not relatively known since they don't want to go under (in reference to old article i saw about bus a bus shortage and one of the companies said that the ta will put them under)

The TA has made and broken many companies over the years. Many people choose not to work with the MTA. Bus manufacturing firms for example prefer not to bid on anything MTA because they are the most complex agency in America. When it comes to bids, it's not up to MTA who puts out an offer. As far as Bombardier goes, they could already be "unofficially" disqualified. We have to wait and see.

Pilot delivery of 2 train sets is still scheduled for 2020. Possibly even three as there will be the R211A, R211S and R211T variants.

I hope they keep the mixed seating for the Staten Island cars, since that allows for the most comfort. (SI trains are rarely crush loaded so standing room isn't much of an issue).

Imagine they give the R211s for Staten Island the WMATA/BART seating arrangement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imagine they give the R211s for Staten Island the WMATA/BART seating arrangement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The WMATA 7k seats and seating layout is perfect IMO

Longitudinal seating near the car ends, and transverse seating in the areas between the doors.

wmata-7000-series-18.jpg

7000CAR0131400730190.jpg

Edited by Around the Horn

Maybe Bomb-Ah-Di-Eh have been partially forgiven? When they get it right, they do build some damn good trains (I think someone else said as much in another thread). But anyway I too speculate Kawasaki would probably win this....

The problem is not the reliability of the trains, but rather that of the company itself. For several years now, Bombardier has had serious trouble completing the orders they've bid on, locally with the 179s here, but most famously the new TTC streetcars that have yet to materialize. We do not need to get stuck behind the 8-ball with another massively delayed order, especially when the much-needed retirement of the aging fleet hinges upon a speedy delivery of these new cars.

I also feel that Kawasaki/Alstom will win out on this order, and quite frankly, I hope they do. Outside of them and Bombardier, no other builder has a thorough knowledge of the subway system.

The problem is not the reliability of the trains, but rather that of the company itself. For several years now, Bombardier has had serious trouble completing the orders they've bid on, locally with the 179s here, but most famously the new TTC streetcars that have yet to materialize. We do not need to get stuck behind the 8-ball with another massively delayed order, especially when the much-needed retirement of the aging fleet hinges upon a speedy delivery of these new cars.

I also feel that Kawasaki/Alstom will win out on this order, and quite frankly, I hope they do. Outside of them and Bombardier, no other builder has a thorough knowledge of the subway system.

Yup, You're right actually... conflict with their aerospace business vs. rail business.

I hope they keep the mixed seating for the Staten Island cars, since that allows for the most comfort. (SI trains are rarely crush loaded so standing room isn't much of an issue).

I'd like to see that too. They'd be the first 60-foot NYC subway cars to have mixed seating since the R16s in 1955.

It'd be nice if they eliminated 2 doors on each side to add more seats on R211S trains. 

While I'd love such a layout and think it would be better for capacity, I wouldn't get too excited.  Remember, the cars they're replacing (the R44s) are some of the worst cars in service right now and ordering them with slightly different specs could potentially delay the order, which is something the MTA doesn't want or need.

While I'd love such a layout and think it would be better for capacity, I wouldn't get too excited.  Remember, the cars they're replacing (the R44s) are some of the worst cars in service right now and ordering them with slightly different specs could potentially delay the order, which is something the MTA doesn't want or need.

Good point, to be honest I'm expecting them to look the same as the NYCTA versions from a passenger's POV. 

I'm not liking how vague this amendment document is... Hopefully the next board meeting has more in depth information...

Agreed.  More likely than not this document was for show--hence all the pictures and colors.  While this isn't the first time it's happened, the true number of R211s with options is still unknown but rapidly increasing.  Potentially this order could be larger than the R160 order by the time all is said and done, but we'll see next week.