R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

I mean, if they do, maybe around next year, when the base is almost done/done and when OOI is starting to get delivered. That's what I think

Yeah Id say next year at the earliest. And if they were smart they would order more, but have them all be 5 car sets. We really dont need any more 4 car sets at the moment especially if transit wants to make the C full length

Edited by Comrade96
typo

2 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

Yeah Id say next year at the earliest. And if they were smart they would order more, but have them all be 5 car sets. We really dont need any more 4 car sets at the moment especially if transit wants to make the C full length

OOI would allow the C to go 100% full length, but we will need OOII to make the G 100% full length with ten car trains.

2 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

Yeah I don’t think the 4-car sets are necessary especially if it’s going to be only 32 cars total (4 8-car trains) which would just be an oddball fleet 

15 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

OOI would allow the C to go 100% full length, but we will need OOII to make the G 100% full length with ten car trains.

Wouldnt there be a surplus of 4 car sets of 160s, If the (J) gets all the 4 car 179s from the (C) when it goes 100% full length?

20 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

Wouldnt there be a surplus of 4 car sets of 160s, If the (J) gets all the 4 car 179s from the (C) when it goes 100% full length?

No. It’s going to be JUST enough cars to deal with the service needs and account for slight service increases that may be planned in the BMT East. division. Extra R160s can shift to the (L) for its CBTC, and the (M) has plenty of R160s to pick from, while the (J) would then be mainly R179s with a couple of R160s. Just that there wouldn’t be enough 4-car units to create a new service route, or to fully equip another full line (I.e the (G) - the (G) would need 160 cars (20 trainsets of 8-car units including spares).

34 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

No. It’s going to be JUST enough cars to deal with the service needs and account for slight service increases that may be planned in the BMT East. division. Extra R160s can shift to the (L) for its CBTC, and the (M) has plenty of R160s to pick from, while the (J) would then be mainly R179s with a couple of R160s. Just that there wouldn’t be enough 4-car units to create a new service route, or to fully equip another full line (I.e the (G) - the (G) would need 160 cars (20 trainsets of 8-car units including spares).

good to know thanks

1 hour ago, BelieveinMe said:

This is a personal attack.

You've been warned.

First, I get that you just joined the forum space, and there are some things that you may have gotten correct regarding the car orders. Threatening a motorman (T/O) is not a good look man. I just really hope you have the dignity to be mature. Having a sense of civility is needful in this day and age, not a cyberattack on a T/O that likely knows more from past experience.

Just now, Captain iOS BeeSwarm said:

Will any R211 cars have propulsion systems other than the Alstom OPTONIX, similarly to how some R160s have Siemens rather than Alstom? Also, why did the MTA order siemens propulsion cars to begin with?

All R211's are going to have the OPTONIX propulsion. Most of the 160's have the original three phase Alstom propulsion, a few of them have the Siemens propulsion. The option order (9803-9942) was supposed to have the Siemens propulsion, but it got the original three phase Alstom propulsion instead.

36 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

All R211's are going to have the OPTONIX propulsion. Most of the 160's have the original three phase Alstom propulsion, a few of them have the Siemens propulsion. The option order (9803-9942) was supposed to have the Siemens propulsion, but it got the original three phase Alstom propulsion instead.

R160s 8843-9102 have the Siemens.

All Alstom built 8313-8712 & 9233-9802 & 9943-9974 and Kawasaki 8713-8842, 9103-9232 & 9803-9942 have the Alstom version and can intermix with each other. 

R211s, as you mentioned have that never seen before Alstom Optionix, which is brand spanking new. 

I wish the next round of orders will have the classic propulsion {similar to the IRT SMEES before the Redbird rebuilds} OR the Triple Metals (R38, R40 & R42) propulsion of the late 60s. 

4 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

They are going to need those extra cars since TA wants to add more service on the (L). This is why they are building or have built new substations on the carnarsie line to add capacity

8 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

They are going to need those extra cars since TA wants to add more service on the (L). This is why they are building or have built new substations on the carnarsie line to add capacity

So I’m assuming those R211s will be retrofitted with Canarsie CBTC specs and will be restricted to the (L) (and non-CBTC (J) line). In any case, I’m envisioning all 4-car trains (the R179s still on the (C)) assigned to ENY regardless to accommodate these service increases. But it still will mean that there aren’t enough cars to really “expand” service / create new routes stemming from the Eastern Division. Just enough to provide more frequent service to the routes we already have, and that’s the take-home message. 

9 hours ago, BelieveinMe said:

I met You Personally at Court Square,on the street, next to the B62 bus stop, and the Flushing line entrance.

You were taking photos and walked past my wife and I..

I stopped you, and we talked about the hobby.

Yeah.....you're making things up lol. I've never met you. Stop trying to make to make it seem like we've ever met or known each other. I'd remember if I've met you or your "wife". Lying is not going to save you.

Anyway, this thread has been cleaned. Keep the bullshit off of this thread. Handle your business elsewhere

And I noticed some other heads who continute to post for no reason/posters that haven't posted in forever commenting nonsense as well. Keep out if you're not going to contribute anything to the topic.

Edited by Cait Sith

5 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

So I’m assuming those R211s will be retrofitted with Canarsie CBTC specs and will be restricted to the (L) (and non-CBTC (J) line). In any case, I’m envisioning all 4-car trains (the R179s still on the (C)) assigned to ENY regardless to accommodate these service increases. But it still will mean that there aren’t enough cars to really “expand” service / create new routes stemming from the Eastern Division. Just enough to provide more frequent service to the routes we already have, and that’s the take-home message. 

Can’t we just upgrade Canarsie CBTC to be compatible with the rest of the system? It seems overly complicated to have cars restricted to one line.

8 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Can’t we just upgrade Canarsie CBTC to be compatible with the rest of the system? It seems overly complicated to have cars restricted to one line.

Won’t likely happen as there’s more of a need to roll out new cbtc vs replacing existing ones just for compatibility. Likely the L doesn’t need too many more sets which the cost would likely be less than changing out a system. If eny had enough sets they wouldn’t need to borrow from the L line. This is really all r211 option 2 order talk. 

19 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

I wish the next round of orders will have the classic propulsion {similar to the IRT SMEES before the Redbird rebuilds} OR the Triple Metals (R38, R40 & R42) propulsion of the late 60s. 

You're not getting that because the propulsion today are AC motors.  "Classic Propulsion" are DC motors.  AC motors are more dependable.

On 3/17/2024 at 12:11 AM, Around the Horn said:

Unless I'm Mandala effecting this somehow, they definitely said back in 2014 that the then only 5 10 car trains were fleet expansion for the (Q) for SAS until they got so delayed that there was no chance the cars would be ready by then.

I remember this too. I was part of the debate that happened on these forums over it. It made sense because the design is similar to the 160

Edited by LTA1992

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

R211S 105-109 and 110-114 (production sets) are at Kawasaki Plant in Yonkers with one of them waiting for the pilot set to be accepted into service. 

They've been there for a couple months now.....