R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

4 hours ago, BelieveinMe said:

Fantastic.

The MTA is pretty serious about at least getting a significant amount of new equipment in before the summer heat draws in.

Kawasaki is pushing the cars out, trying to catch up to the schedule they proposed for deliveries.

With close to 200 cars now in the system, there is still plenty of work to do.

I appreciate the hard work RTO does, the fans keeping track of delivery and train spotting.

You guys are the best.

I wouldn't be surprised if by the summer time the r46's run on the "A" and "C" trains only during rush hours and a good chunk of Pitkin's r46's are either displaced to CI or removed from service.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take this as a sign that the E-Wing trucks are fixed, and finally working as they should.

This is spectacular news.

Kawasaki did what they were supposed to do, tackled the problem at the root(at manufacturing), so we won't have to deal with something like that in future.

Im Really surprised that something like that was able to slip by Quality Control... however, that could have been a "let's just get them out,deal with any issues later" situation.

All new equipment goes through teething stuff, so this isn't exactly a New Thing.

But the fact that nobody else has complained about the new truck kinda drives my point.

During testing, the EWing did Great, so why would they fail during full operations?

I think we pretty much have the answers..

It was Kawasaki's issue,lack of proper oversight.

Rushing to get the product out, so not to incur fines for delivery deviations..as they were incredibly behind schedule.

In any case, I am happy that everything has cleared up, definitely for the better.

Trains are arriving steadily now, and with the summer fast approaching, the A line will be choice to ride.

Hopefully by the turn of 2024, the route will be all NTT finally, and the C can get it fair share of new equipment also.

I believe the target date for build out is 2025..

I have a question for the board.

Is Kawasaki using both American manufacturing sites for the base contract,or did they split it, with Yonkers handling the 211s, and Nebraska handling the 211A?

The only reason I'm asking is due to seeing a few at Yonkers,as I was passing by on Metro North.

Again, you guys are tops.

1 hour ago, Ale188 said:

4185-89 is with 4060-64 as of today

Incorrect: 4180-89 are linked for burn-in as of today. That was only linked to rotate around Pitkin earlier this week and test the pilots' link with other sets. The pilots are still separated in different lanes of the yard along with 4080-84.

Edited by Metro CSW

3 hours ago, BelieveinMe said:

I take this as a sign that the E-Wing trucks are fixed, and finally working as they should.

This is spectacular news.

Kawasaki did what they were supposed to do, tackled the problem at the root(at manufacturing), so we won't have to deal with something like that in future.

Im Really surprised that something like that was able to slip by Quality Control... however, that could have been a "let's just get them out,deal with any issues later" situation.

All new equipment goes through teething stuff, so this isn't exactly a New Thing.

But the fact that nobody else has complained about the new truck kinda drives my point.

During testing, the EWing did Great, so why would they fail during full operations?

I think we pretty much have the answers..

It was Kawasaki's issue,lack of proper oversight.

Rushing to get the product out, so not to incur fines for delivery deviations..as they were incredibly behind schedule.

In any case, I am happy that everything has cleared up, definitely for the better.

Trains are arriving steadily now, and with the summer fast approaching, the A line will be choice to ride.

Hopefully by the turn of 2024, the route will be all NTT finally, and the C can get it fair share of new equipment also.

I believe the target date for build out is 2025..

I have a question for the board.

Is Kawasaki using both American manufacturing sites for the base contract,or did they split it, with Yonkers handling the 211s, and Nebraska handling the 211A?

The only reason I'm asking is due to seeing a few at Yonkers,as I was passing by on Metro North.

Again, you guys are tops.

Because the trucks weren't tested, that's why.  MTA tested the pilot set with different trucks.  They broke the rules of structured testing by testing the pilot train, and then not retesting any changes that were made after the test and just put them in production.  An auditor would have found that.  If I did that I'd get fired for circumventing the rules and/or violating Sarbanes/Oxley laws.  To make it even worse, the part they failed to test was the main moving part, and these are much more prone to failure.

On 3/13/2024 at 6:43 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if by the summer time the r46's run on the "A" and "C" trains only during rush hours and a good chunk of Pitkin's r46's are either displaced to CI or removed from service.

If the car deliveries are steady, then there's a distinct possibility that there will be enough to at least move some R46 cars to the Southern Division,to beef up services there.

Hopefully, some 46 assignments for C services will be done away with... and some 179s could possibly sub.

Let's remember that the entire goal is to have a uniformed fleet for the A and C... making the cars interchangeable.. any set can be used for both lines to make service.

That's the plan, and I hope they stick to it...so Yes.. the summer is looking good for a change.

13 hours ago, BelieveinMe said:

If the car deliveries are steady, then there's a distinct possibility that there will be enough to at least move some R46 cars to the Southern Division,to beef up services there.

Hopefully, some 46 assignments for C services will be done away with... and some 179s could possibly sub.

Let's remember that the entire goal is to have a uniformed fleet for the A and C... making the cars interchangeable.. any set can be used for both lines to make service.

That's the plan, and I hope they stick to it...so Yes.. the summer is looking good for a change.

I think the moves will start when the (M) is back to full service. And the R179s are the real odd-balls that restrict fleet interchange between the (A)(C). The 10-car R179s cannot run on the (C) until the 8-car R179s are gone due to likely train crew confusion as to whether they're operating a 10-car or 8-car consist. Especially now that the 168 St (A) train trips from the morning rush get changed over to (C) trains for midday service, then back to the (A) line for the Rockaway Park trips in the PM rush, the R179s cannot run on those specific (A) trips, and there has to be specific R46s available to be taken out of service at 168 St to change over from the (C). Also the Euclid Av (A) trip in the morning from 207 St cannot run R179s assuming that that particular train also gets changed over to a (C) train at Euclid Av for midday service.

At least now that the (C) is running R211Ts, technically the R211s can run on the 168 St trips out of Far Rockaway and swap over to the (C), but knowing operations and dispatchers from the (A) will not send the R211s on those trips either (opting to just use the R46s).

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

I think the moves will start when the (M) is back to full service. And the R179s are the real odd-balls that restrict fleet interchange between the (A)(C). The 10-car R179s cannot run on the (C) until the 8-car R179s are gone due to likely train crew confusion as to whether they're operating a 10-car or 8-car consist. Especially now that the 168 St (A) train trips from the morning rush get changed over to (C) trains for midday service, then back to the (A) line for the Rockaway Park trips in the PM rush, the R179s cannot run on those specific (A) trips, and there has to be specific R46s available to be taken out of service at 168 St to change over from the (C). Also the Euclid Av (A) trip in the morning from 207 St cannot run R179s assuming that that particular train also gets changed over to a (C) train at Euclid Av for midday service.

At least now that the (C) is running R211Ts, technically the R211s can run on the 168 St trips out of Far Rockaway and swap over to the (C), but knowing operations and dispatchers from the (A) will not send the R211s on those trips either (opting to just use the R46s).

I think someone saw the r211 (A) to Rockaway park recently, I think they're going to move the 8 car R179's out of pitkin/207th to another yard first.

9 minutes ago, JayJay85 said:

I think someone saw the r211 (A) to Rockaway park recently, I think they're going to move the 8 car R179's out of pitkin/207th to another yard first.

Rush hour (A) trains operate to Rock Park. The R179s are going nowhere 

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Ordering four car R179’s was absolutely unnecessary in the first place (except the ones for ENY). If the plan was to always have the (C) become full length, why order four car sets in the first place?

Now you have this mess of fleet uniformity because the (C) has always been the oddball of 8th Ave. Sure the R211’s will sort of fix the problem, but where will you send the four car R179’s?

34 minutes ago, JayJay85 said:

Yeah I’ve seen the Rockaway Park (A) run R211As. Probably the first or last trip of the evening (they originate at Dyckman St instead of 168 St)

7 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Ordering four car R179’s was absolutely unnecessary in the first place (except the ones for ENY). If the plan was to always have the (C) become full length, why order four car sets in the first place?

Now you have this mess of fleet uniformity because the (C) has always been the oddball of 8th Ave. Sure the R211’s will sort of fix the problem, but where will you send the four car R179’s?

The (J) desperately needs them. They’re using the R160s and R143s not used on the (L)(M) due to fleet shortages. If you want to get technical, out of the 372 R160s at ENY, 64 are exclusively for the (L) (cannot run on the (M)) and the (M) needs 192 to make service + 64 as spares, leaving only about 40 R160s. The (J) uses a mix of these R160s in CBTC bypass mode

27 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

Rush hour (A) trains operate to Rock Park. The R179s are going nowhere 

The 8 car ones can go to Jamaica for the (G). I doubt it though.

2 hours ago, JayJay85 said:

The C will most likely have to wait until option 1 to become 100% full length. It seems that there is more urgency to displace the r46's off the A and C than to make the C full length due to 8th Avenue CBTC.

Therefore, the C will most likely keep it's 8 car r179's (except for the extra ENY r160's/r179's M train loans) until option 1.

Let's not forget that work needs to be done on 207th yard to accommodate longer trains.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

On 3/14/2024 at 10:39 AM, R179 8258 said:

Word on the street is , that the R211S are ready to go just v waiting for the MTA President to head over to the island

It is in Clifton Shop with Test Train signs still in the window and blue tape on the top corners as of this post. 

Edit: I've also observed some stations have "R5" and "C5" markers (along with "R3 and C3") while others do not.

Edited by 4P3607

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

A video of R211 4185-9 with 4060-4 coupled. 

Look at Metro CSW's post and then my post above that. I pointed that out yesterday. As he said, it was only to see if the pilots can go with production cars.

Edited by Ale188

2 hours ago, Ale188 said:

Look at Metro CSW's post and then my post above that. I pointed that out yesterday. As he said, it was only to see if the pilots can go with production cars.

Plus, that video was three days ago via Discord then uploaded on YouTube afterwards. Sure its prove of the movements on said day, however that doesn't stop the video from being pointless, even in the little scheme of things.... it's only evidences of my tracking..... If anybody is paying an attention to the rails, you'll notice that the 4180-set is still on burn-in test as I type this. Give a couple days for service.

Edited by Metro CSW

8 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

the original plan did not have the (C) getting any of the R179s; they were originally only for the (Q) (later changed to (A)) and (J) (Z) and then the plans changed after the original (L) train shutdown was suspended