New combination 2/5 strip maps demo'ed!

Eric B

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, the only reason the 44s and 46s got those electronic signs is because they were already equipped with electronic sign curtains controlled from the cab. Otherwise, they would've received the same treatment the 40s and 42s did in the late '80s

As to the question of FINDs on the 142s, they aren't necessary. Unlike the 160s, which run on vastly different lines dependent on the needs of service at the time, the 142s mostly stay on the lines they're assigned to. Combine that with the limited amount of reroute possibilities on the IRT and the usefulness of FINDs diminishes greatly. The reason this "new" combined line map design exists is because it's the only major reroute that happens regularly and because the cars are shared often. That doesn't happen often enough on the other lines to justify the expense, especially when those potential funds could go to fixing/replacing the damaged side signs.

Damaged signs are another issue that needs to be fixed.

The (6) yard (drawing a blank on the name) did a horrible job at maintaining the R142As. Almost every car had damaged signs that were never fixed. And those dirty strip maps, jeeze.

The (6) yard (drawing a blank on the name) did a horrible job at maintaining the R142As. Almost every car had damaged signs that were never fixed. And those dirty strip maps, jeeze.

At least with those R142As on the (7) now, we almost never have to see those strip maps ever again. With these new maps hopefully coming to the (2) / (5), the (6) will be the one with the oldest strip maps in the system.

At least with those R142As on the (7) now, we almost never have to see those strip maps ever again. With these new maps hopefully coming to the (2) / (5), the (6) will be the one with the oldest strip maps in the system.

Forgot the (1) train,huh?

Speaking of which, one of the 2200's had a (1)(9) strip map still in it.I rode it around the time South Ferry reopened.

Oh, I know how this goes! Someone is gonna come in and say the (9) shows up as a Not in Service program...right?

On second thought, are there any current or former TA employees who could vouch for the past existence of a functional (9) program? 

It's possible some of the cars have (9) options, just as there are more (1) options on some cars than on the official lists. I'm not sure how the software is updated, but if they're done so piece by piece, the removal could've been missed during one of those updates, similar to how a few 142s had '03 transfers well into 2008.

Eh, they don't really have to conform with much of what Vignelli called for anymore. Believe me, I wish they did, but they could print these however they wanted to. There are endless errors and design language mistakes in the modern system that break from the Unimark coding. The manual is updated every few years anyway--hence whey the letters in bullets increased size, Helvetica was normalized, etc. 

I mean, definitely. All of it pretty much goes to hell whenever the MTA decides it's time to have some sort of in-station line strip map again, but certain things have always stayed the same (mostly because there's never a reason for them to change, like the placement of words relative to the line in a strip map). Vignelli was always a little bit too strict with his Swiss-style prescriptiveness anyways.

Since this is about the 2/5 trains, I was wondering:

1) During the AM hours, the R142s that leaves Livonia Yard, does it become a (2) train or the (5)?

2) Wouldn't it be easier for the (5) to go to New Lots Av since it goes out of service after 8 PM? (the trains terminating at Utica)

3) Does a train goes to its assigned yard after reaching to the last stop? (Example: Nereid Av, (5) train set)

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/t5cur.pdf: notice the times at 5:45PM and 5:51PM to the Bronx on weekdays

I know i'm late on this topic, but if we had to deal with the strip map confusion for over a decade, what is another decade? People could listen to the announcements and look at the subway maps than to rely on the strip maps. When it comes time to retire the r62/as, then move the r142s on the 2/5 over to the 1/6 lines. That way by then the new trains will have the find already built in and don't need to modify anything. They would need to print up some 1 line strip maps and put back the 6 line strip maps or print up new ones to reinstall them on the r142s.

I know i'm late on this topic, but if we had to deal with the strip map confusion for over a decade, what is another decade? People could listen to the announcements and look at the subway maps than to rely on the strip maps. When it comes time to retire the r62/as, then move the r142s on the 2/5 over to the 1/6 lines. That way by then the new trains will have the find already built in and don't need to modify anything. They would need to print up some 1 line strip maps and put back the 6 line strip maps or print up new ones to reinstall them on the r142s.

Sure, you could ignore a problem which is easy to solve, but why? There is no downside to fixing a communication issue which has been causing problems for almost 15 years now.

I think you are giving the average rider too much credit to expect to understand a map with so much info all on the same map. I mean yes, it is better than the current situation of a map in use or not in use, but i still doubt it will stop people from asking the c/r or t/o what train it is or what stops the train will be stopping at etc.

It is a nice map, but i don't see the point in printing up a batch of new ones now when they can wait another decade plus for new trains with the find already installed and the current trains pushed over to lines that don't share trains at all or very rarely.

It's about time they considered this, although gutting the strip maps and installing FIND would have been the more preferable option, this is definitely more cost-effective. I do remember out-of-towners/tourists/infrequent subway riders giving the  (2) map on the  (5) train a funny look and then getting off the train, thinking they had gotten the wrong one. The design's confusing and takes getting used to, but it's better than what they have now.

Archived