Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

I've begun planning more extensions and new routes for the boroughs of Manhattan and Queens. The main part of the new plans being a line along Northern Boulevard in Queens to help relieve the (7) of it's crowding as well as provide rapid transit to unserved portions of Queens, like College Point, Whitestone, and Douglaston. The (G) would be one of the routes serving the Northern Boulevard line. I'm still working out the Manhattan connections but I'm thinking of connecting one of the routes to a planned 10th Avenue extension of the (L) route and a new 9th Avenue Line to Greenwich Village. I do know, however, that 57th Street would be the crosstown route for the line.

Edited by LTA1992

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've begun planning more extensions and new routes for the boroughs of Manhattan and Queens. The main part of the new plans being a line along Northern Boulevard in Queens to help relieve the (7) of it's crowding as well as provide rapid transit to unserved portions of Queens, like College Point, Whitestone, and Douglaston. The (G) would be one of the routes serving the Northern Boulevard line. I'm still working out the Manhattan connections but I'm thinking of connecting one of the routes to a planned 10th Avenue extension of the (L) route and a new 9th Avenue Line to Greenwich Village. I do know, however, that 57th Street would be the crosstown route for the line.

I don't mean to totally poo-poo a fantasy Idea, but you do realize the QBL express tracks already run along northern blvd between queens plaza and broadway? Would you build another level underneath? Or connect to NBL past that point? 

I have designed plans for IRT trains in Astoria and Western Manhattan (12 AV/West St). These trains would be the (7), extended to lower manhattan, the (8), starting in Eastchester-Dyre Avenue but going down Throgs Neck to Queens, making express stops via Northern and Ditmars Blvds, going to manhattan via 72 St and turning to West End Avenue and meeting up with the (7), The (7) would be local while the (8) would be express. The (7) would terminate in Lower Manhattan, while the (8) would be extended to South Brooklyn, via Flatbush Avenue and ending at Kings Plaza, connecting with the Brooklyn-Rockaway Park shuttle via the Marine Pkwy bridge.

Time to get this thread active again.

Revival of The  (9) Line

Service

Goes as the usual local with the  (1) South Ferry to 96th Street. After 96th Street, it runs on middle track, until 137th Street-City College. It then runs on the middle track again, but when the local track converges onto the middle at 145th Street, it will continue straight onwards, and bypass 157th Street. It stops at 168th Street, 181st Street (bypassing), and Dyckman Street. It will then turn onto the middle track until 215th Street, turn back onto the middle again, and head straight for 242nd Street to terminate. All times and weekends, except late nights. Trains go at one at a time for the middle track to reduce traffic.

Subway Cars

It will continue to use the R62As, some selected R62's, and R142's.

What do you think?

Revival of The  (9) Line

Service

Goes as the usual local with the  (1) South Ferry to 96th Street. After 96th Street, it runs on middle track, until 137th Street-City College. It then runs on the middle track again, but when the local track converges onto the middle at 145th Street, it will continue straight onwards, and bypass 157th Street. It stops at 168th Street, 181st Street (bypassing), and Dyckman Street. It will then turn onto the middle track until 215th Street, turn back onto the middle again, and head straight for 242nd Street to terminate. All times and weekends, except late nights. Trains go at one at a time for the middle track to reduce traffic.

Subway Cars

It will continue to use the R62As, some selected R62's, and R142's.

What do you think?

You obviously don't use the (1) north of 96th Street and the middle track + the crossovers aren't meant for regular use outside of GOs.

Edited by RollOver

You obviously don't use the (1) north of 96th Street and the middle track + the crossovers aren't meant for regular use outside of GOs.

The only way the express track could be viable in regular service would be where 125th Street (the only elevated station in that stretch) is converted somehow to a two-island platform where that station could be used as a short-turn terminal (which would not be a bad idea given Columbia's expansion that is going on and will continue to be over the next decade or two).  Otherwise, it would not be viable to use that track in normal, peak-direction express service.

If they had wanted to use it in express service, they likely would have made 137th Street a three-track, two-island platform station that could have been used for that purpose.

Revival of The  (9) Line

Service

What do you think?

You might as well just terminate those northbound trains at 96 St since you're bypassing most of the stops north of there. This super-express you're proposing will only make about five stops through 242 St. While it could be beneficial for those trying to get a seat on the 1 train from 96 St onward to South Ferry, it's otherwise pretty useless. And it won't save much time since the trains have to weave in between local stops because of the setup of the Upper Broadway line.

i want SAS TO RUN on the old M line from Brooklyn bridge n then 4th Ave then to Bay Ridge sorry R TRAIN I WOULD PUSH U to the D line

If the (MTA) ever construts the SAS, they should have it connect with the (J)(Z) just before Canal Street and have them run together. I will have the track map coming up in a few days.

I noticed service missing in the following areas (in red):

NYCTSubwaymap-Copy.gif

I will make some fictional routes tomorrow, I need to go to bed now lol.

Here is something I would propose: the (B) running to Bedford Park Boulevard all day. Do you think people would actually use it? I say this it a good idea because Bronx riders would have a direct service to local stops on the Central Park West line.

Also, I think they should bring the (B) and (C) back to their original northern terminals. With my proposal from above, I would have the (C) run to Bedford Park Boulevard at all times except late nights and when the (B) dosen't run weekends, the (A) would make all stops north of 145 Street.

Which would be the better idea, extending the (B) or switching the (B) and (C) terminals? Could both of these proposals together be a good idea? Please give feedback as soon as possible.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Almost nobody on Concourse wants CPW. They want Midtown, Washington Square, Broadway-Lafayette and Grand Street service under a limited time frame. Ride the (B) during the evening rush (out of the Bronx) and you'll see just how lightly used it is. Many people will pass it up for the (D) or take it to 125 for either the (A) or the (D).

Likewise in the morning rush, people on 6th Ave northbound will pass the (B) up for the (D). You know how riders are, the ones who don't even know the system like that.

Edited by RollOver

i want SAS TO RUN on the old M line from Brooklyn bridge n then 4th Ave then to Bay Ridge sorry R TRAIN I WOULD PUSH U to the D line

If the (MTA) ever construts the SAS, they should have it connect with the (J)(Z) just before Canal Street and have them run together. I will have the track map coming up in a few days.

I noticed service missing in the following areas (in red):

NYCTSubwaymap-Copy.gif

I will make some fictional routes tomorrow, I need to go to bed now lol.

I've only proposed this how many times (connecting the SAS to the Nassau Street Line), most recently as you suggested with the (T) going to most likely Bay Parkway in my case?

Almost nobody on Concourse wants CPW. They want Midtown, Washington Square, Broadway-Lafayette and Grand Street service under a limited time frame. Ride the (B) during the evening rush (out of the Bronx) and you'll see just how lightly used it is. Many people will pass it up for the (D) or take it to 125 for either the (A) or the (D).

Likewise in the morning rush, people on 6th Ave northbound will pass the (B) up for the (D). You know how riders are, the ones who don't even know the system like that.

I had always noted, during middays, it looks like there's enough people on the (D) (145th and heading uptown) to justify the other service.

How come Broad Street is closed? I thought the old yellow (M) used to go Broad Steet before.

1. The (M) was Brown, not yellow 

2.  Broad Street usually closes during weekends. Broad Street will run at all times starting in 2015.

3. The (M) served Broad Street only during rush hours, when the (M) ran to Bay Parkway. (Although it did briefly terminate at Broad Street evenings in 2009 and 2010.)