Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did the MTA really cut the  (G) from Forest Hills back in April 2010? Was it because the MTA lacked equipment for  (G) to down Queens Blvd? Or was it due to low ridership? I think  (G) was useful on the weekends (On queens blvd) even though it would been a hassle to catch with 4 cars. 

Equipment and money. Not only does it reduce the number of crews required, but this was a few months after the retirement of the R44s was announced. Since a bunch of R32s/42s and all 38s/40s were already gone, there are now fewer 600' train equivalents in the system. This is part of why the (C) is still 8 cars - not enough cars for everything to have full-length trains.

Why did the MTA really cut the  (G) from Forest Hills back in April 2010? Was it because the MTA lacked equipment for  (G) to down Queens Blvd? Or was it due to low ridership? I think  (G) was useful on the weekends (On queens blvd) even though it would been a hassle to catch with 4 cars. 

To add on, there were so many GOs that the (G) stopped at Court Sq anyways more often than not. With Queens Blvd CBTC work, that is unlikely to change for the foreseeable future.

Equipment and money. Not only does it reduce the number of crews required, but this was a few months after the retirement of the R44s was announced. Since a bunch of R32s/42s and all 38s/40s were already gone, there are now fewer 600' train equivalents in the system. This is part of why the (C) is still 8 cars - not enough cars for everything to have full-length trains.

And why the (MTA) should have not been so quick to scrap the R38s/40s.  Had they done that, maybe they were not in the best shape, but could have at least handled some of the load lost when the R44s had to be retired unexpectedly.

And why the (MTA) should have not been so quick to scrap the R38s/40s.  Had they done that, maybe they were not in the best shape, but could have at least handled some of the load lost when the R44s had to be retired unexpectedly.

The R38s had to be desperately retired because of thier conditions(I've been in public toilets cleaner than thier interiors) so they were out. The R40s should of been kept I'd rather them here than the R42s but what's done is done we have to play what the hand we have.

The R38s had to be desperately retired because of thier conditions(I've been in public toilets cleaner than thier interiors) so they were out. The R40s should of been kept I'd rather them here than the R42s but what's done is done we have to play what the hand we have.

R40s rusted and ended worst then R38's. 

So you saying the  (G) was cut back from Queens Blvd due to R44 being retired and Most of R46 equipment going to 207 St yard for  (A) ? Even with the R68/R68A do you think the  (G) still has a chance to be extended? Will the extension compromise some cars from  (B)  (D) at Coney Island Yard?

So you saying the  (G) was cut back from Queens Blvd due to R44 being retired and Most of R46 equipment going to 207 St yard for  (A) ? Even with the R68/R68A do you think the  (G) still has a chance to be extended? Will the extension compromise some cars from  (B)  (D) at Coney Island Yard?

It isn't the only reason, but it is part of it. If you decompose into 60 foot equivalents, we have fewer cars now than we had pre-2010. There are roughly 130 spare R68s, amounting to ~16 spare 8 car trains. With inspections and breakdowns, that doesn't leave much room for extra service. Theoretically, they could throw some R46s on the (G), but again, those are basically reserve cars for the (F).

When the (E) and (F) share tracks with the (R) due to construction work, there are often delays. Adding the (G) or (M) to this would just add to the delays.

How? If that's the case then MTA could extend the  (R) to 179 with  (F) and  (G) with the  (E) to Jamaica Center.   (M) could go with the  (E) as well. 

What if the MTA didn't have  (W) bullet back in 2001? Would the MTA turn back to 1986 20px-B_Train_-_Yellow_%281986-1988%29.sv bullet?

How? If that's the case then MTA could extend the  (R) to 179 with  (F) and  (G) with the  (E) to Jamaica Center.   (M) could go with the  (E) as well. 

What if the MTA didn't have  (W) bullet back in 2001? Would the MTA turn back to 1986 20px-B_Train_-_Yellow_%281986-1988%29.sv bullet?

No, because it bring extreme confusion.

Two problems with that. First, extending any line beyond its current end point will require more cars and trains to keep service levels the same. We have a bit of a problem with that right now. Secondly, while 179 Street would be fine with another line terminating there, Jamaica Center will not. As it is, a few (E) trains run to/from 179 Street during the rush hours due to capacity issues at Jamaica Center. Adding another line would only exacerbate the problem.

I'm not sure if I understand your question. Do you mean what would've happened if the (W) bullet was already in use in 2001 or if the bullet wasn't already on the trains' sign curtains? Either way, the MTA had no intention of reverting back to split (B) and (D) service for the final leg of the Manhattan Bridge construction work. Answering your question, I think, the MTA decided to go with the (W) as the Broadway-West End route because it was already available all of the B-Division trains, even if they did have to replace the sign curtains anyway because the (W) bullet was a diamond only at the time. If it was not available on the then-current signs, the MTA may have revived the T-Broadway/West End Express designation, which was eliminated in '67.

How? If that's the case then MTA could extend the (R) to 179 with (F) and (G) with the (E) to Jamaica Center. (M) could go with the (E) as well.

I'm not talking about delays terminating. I'm talking about having all the lines run together on the same track.

Also if a good chunk of the (e)s in rush hour have to go to 179 Street because Jamaica Center can't fit them all, how do you expect the (E)(g)and (M) to all terminate there?

As for your question about the (W), the bullet has existed on rollsigns since the late 1980's. Even if it didn't exist in 2001, they could have just added it then.

I'm not talking about delays terminating. I'm talking about having all the lines run together on the same track.

Also if a good chunk of the (e)s in rush hour have to go to 179 Street because Jamaica Center can't fit them all, how do you expect the (E)(g)and (M) to all terminate there?

As for your question about the (W), the bullet has existed on rollsigns since the late 1980's. Even if it didn't exist in 2001, they could have just added it then.

Exactly, they have improvised in the pastimg_39320.jpg

I'm not sure if I understand your question. Do you mean what would've happened if the (W) bullet was already in use in 2001 or if the bullet wasn't already on the trains' sign curtains? Either way, the MTA had no intention of reverting back to split (B) and (D) service for the final leg of the Manhattan Bridge construction work. Answering your question, I think, the MTA decided to go with the (W) as the Broadway-West End route because it was already available all of the B-Division trains, even if they did have to replace the sign curtains anyway because the (W) bullet was a diamond only at the time. If it was not available on the then-current signs, the MTA may have revived the T-Broadway/West End Express designation, which was eliminated in '67.

Then why would the MTA put in the 20px-B_Train_-_Yellow_%281986-1988%29.sv20px-D_Train_%281986-1988%29.svg.png in the first place? Why didn't they change the <W> bullet into  (W) then? Why wasn't there  (Q) acting as Brighton Lcl for  (D) while 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-Qd.svg.png could acted for  (Q) as Brighton Exp? If the MTA knew that the  (B)  (D) route split would be confusing why would they try it in first place? I was asking what if there was no extra letter (no <W> or (W)) for West End line service during North Side closure from 1986-1988?

Edited by Take a Ride on the 1

Then why would the MTA put in the 20px-B_Train_-_Yellow_%281986-1988%29.sv20px-D_Train_%281986-1988%29.svg.png in the first place? Why didn't they change the <W> bullet into  (W) then? Why wasn't there  (Q) acting as Brighton Lcl for  (D) while 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-Qd.svg.png could acted for  (Q) as Brighton Exp? If the MTA knew that the  (B)  (D) route split would be confusing why would they try it in first place? I was asking what if there was no extra letter (no <W> or (W)) for West End line service during North Side closure from 1986-1988?

They implemented the split to keep designations as they were before the north side closed. 

When the north tracks were closed in April 1986, the assumption was that the closure would last at most a few months. I don't believe it was expected that 6th Avenue service across the Manhattan Bridge would be suspended for over 18 months. If they did have any inclination of the required time-span, they may have done something different with the southern portion of the (B) and (D), much as they did in 2001. You also have to consider the fact that different people were running Operations Planning department in 1986 and 2001.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not? (Q) via Manhattan Bridge, 6 Avenue express, to 96 Street. 47-50 Streets–Rockefeller Center has the necessary switches to make this possible. The (B) is expendable (as shown by how quickly the MTA shuts it down when problems come up), so more frequent (Q) trains can replace the (B).

Don't you think sending the :Q: down 6 Av would cause a burden for traffic controllers? I mean you going see delays at Dekalb Av and then traffic controllers have to deal with (F)(M). How this would look like (B)(D)(F)(M):Q:

Don't you think sending the :Q: down 6 Av would cause a burden for traffic controllers? I mean you going see delays at Dekalb Av and then traffic controllers have to deal with (F)(M). How this would look like (B)(D)(F)(M):Q:

:Q: would be sharing tracks with (B)(D) this means that Brighton line can be affected. Besides there's too much routes ranning on one line.

Like he said, the (B) would be suspended and replaced with some extra  :Q: service.

What about express service in Brighton? What about CPW service? This means  (A) will have to run local to take  (B).

Like I said in entire discussion have the  (Q) run via Montague St Broadway LCL with  (N)  (R) . Then after TSQ 42 St diverge over to Express tracks.  :Q: is sharing tracks with (B)(D) from Dekalb Av- 47-50 Sts. That's too much service.