Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

Thoughts on sending the (3) to Parkchester? This is what I proposed so far:

mVtCrFo.png

Here, the 145 St station would be lengthened for full-length trains and the (2) connection to the WPR Line would be rerouted via this station with the existing tunnel abandoned. The (3) would no longer serve 148 St (which would be closed) and be rerouted via a new connection under 138 St to the 3 Av (6) station. From here, the (3) would make all stops to Parkchester. Both the (3) and (6) would operate at 12 TPH during rush hours.

With capacity now spared along the Lexington Avenue local tracks, a new (8) train would operate between Gun Hill Road and Brooklyn Bridge via a new connection to a station at 138 St between Alexander and Willis Avs (built below the existing Pelham Line), where a free transfer to the (3) and (6) trains is available. The (8) would operate via 3 Av and Webster Av in the Bronx and would also run at 12 TPH during rush hours.

1xWWMJg.png

My proposed service plan for the (3) and (6) services are as follows:

Weekdays:

(3) - Parkchester to New Lots Avenue; local in the Bronx and Brooklyn; express in Manhattan

(6) - Pelham Bay Park to Brooklyn Bridge; local (express in the Bronx during rush hours and middays in the peak direction)

(8) - Gun Hill Road to Brooklyn Bridge; local

Weekends:

(3) - Parkchester to New Lots Avenue; local in the Bronx and Brooklyn; express in Manhattan

(6) - Pelham Bay Park to Brooklyn Bridge; local

(8) - Gun Hill Road to 138 St; local

Late nights:

(3) - Pelham Bay Park to Times Sq-42 St; local in the Bronx and express in Manhattan (replaces (6) service in the Bronx)

(6) - No service

(8) - Gun Hill Road to Brooklyn Bridge; local (replaces (6) service in Manhattan)

Edited by Armandito

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I don't really get how moving the train switching from the Brooklyn side of the Manny B (today's DeKalb) to the Manhattan side (your Chrystie rebuild) is going to change things. The trains still end up switching tracks to get where they need to be going.

The things I'm going for are minimizing the wait for track clearance, increasing speed between LES and Downtown Brooklyn, and rationalizing routings. Here's the Flatbush Junction:

4-A813-BE0-E068-485-D-979-D-F05-C6-D1-DC

So right now, (D) trains have two stop reasons: waiting for (B) to merge with (Q) and for (N) to merge onto the bypass express tracks. (N) and (Q) have it a bit easier on paper since (N) has a pocket track to wait on after (B) and (D) split, and (Q) could need only wait for a (B) to platform to be out the way of (N).

Problem still is that it operates like a level crossing/crossover with the pocket tracks, punchbox, and slow speeds.

So if the replacement Grand Street station has a two track southbound platform, the waits for track access is both shifted to Manhattan and incorporated into a station stop - as the (D) merges with (N) and (B) with (Q) right after the doors close. No punchbox for track access approval, and minimal waiting.

And since the services would run on the same side of the bridge as their cardinal direction (southbound on South side; northbound on North side), higher speeds because no need to cross from one side to the other, and structurally it minimizes the bridge's tilting - since the likelihood will be that a southbound and northbound train will cross at the same time on opposite sides balancing the load.

4 hours ago, Armandito said:

mVtCrFo.png

Here, the 145 St station would be lengthened for full-length trains and the (2) connection to the WPR Line would be rerouted via this station with the existing tunnel abandoned. The (3) would no longer serve 148 St (which would be closed) and be rerouted via a new connection under 138 St to the 3 Av (6) station. From here, the (3) would make all stops to Parkchester. Both the (3) and (6) would operate at 12 TPH during rush hours.

With capacity now spared along the Lexington Avenue local tracks, a new (8) train would operate between Gun Hill Road and Brooklyn Bridge via a new connection to a station at 138 St between Alexander and Willis Avs (built below the existing Pelham Line), where a free transfer to the (3) and (6) trains is available. The (8) would operate via 3 Av and Webster Av in the Bronx and would also run at 12 TPH during rush hours.

1xWWMJg.png

Weekdays:

(6) - Pelham Bay Park to Brooklyn Bridge; local (express in the Bronx during rush hours and middays in the peak direction)

Weekends:

Late nights:

(3) - Pelham Bay Park to Times Sq-42 St; local in the Bronx and express in Manhattan (replaces (6) service in the Bronx)

(6) - No service

(8) - Gun Hill Road to Brooklyn Bridge; local (replaces (6) service in Manhattan)

The (3) and (6) proposal is AWSOME!

On 9/6/2020 at 12:30 PM, Armandito said:

mVtCrFo.png

1xWWMJg.png

Weekdays:

Weekends:

Late nights:

(6) - No service

I find it interesting that you plan to send the (3) to Pelham Bay Park and to introduce a new service along 3rd Avenue. Although, doing this adds more interlining to the system at no additional benefits. Although, I can't argue with the notion of 145th Street being extended for 10 Cars (with a new tunnel) even though I'd consider that to be a low Priority. 

Might I also point out the fact that while your proposal introduces a 3rd Avenue Line making the transfer with the (2) at 3rd Avenue-149th Street, you might as well send the (3) to Dyre Avenue and leave the (6) handling Pelham Bay alone. Although, I did think of another idea that might interest you

Since your goal is to send the (3) via the Pelham Line, why not swap the alignments of the Pelham and White Plains Road Lines at Hunts Point instead? Over there, you'll be able to create a new transfer between the 7th Avenue and Lexington Lines (Those being the (2)(3)(5) and (6) Lines). In addition, that leaves the potential for the creation of a Transit Hub because Amtrak (and soon the Metro North) pass by that area. Although, the only downside to that is that you'd have to build a new Underground Station at Hunts Point for the ((5) and) (6) in addition to widening the street in order to build a portal (and new station on Westchester Avenue) which would require eminent domain.  The changes in this scenario would be the following:

(2) - Pelham Bay Park to Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College via "Pelham, 7th Avenue Express and Eastern Parkway Local". Some trains would run express in the peak direction. 

(3) - Pelham Bay Park to New Lots Avenue. "via Pelham, 7th Avenue Express and Eastern Parkway Local". If I don't decide to include a Harlem Shuttle, then some trains would be rerouted to Harlem-148th Street.

(S) - Harlem-148th Street to 135th Street-Lenox Avenue (this would require expanding 135th Street station which isn't included in this proposal but still worth considering)

(4) - Same route as today but service would be doubled. 

(5) - Dyre Avenue to Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall. "Bronx and Lexington Local"

(6) - Wakefield-241st Street to Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall. "Bronx and Lexington Local"

<6> - Wakefield-241st Street to Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall. "Bronx Express" between East 180th and 3rd Avenue-138th Street. 

I know this plan doesn't include 3rd Avenue, but thats mainly because I'd prefer if it were a part of SAS instead of Lexington. Anyways, here's my map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1XA_Bb9gktIXPBvejC3uokCbKGCxBLFSR&usp=sharing

2 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I find it interesting that you plan to send the (3) to Pelham Bay Park and to introduce a new service along 3rd Avenue. Although, doing this adds more interlining to the system at no additional benefits. Although, I can't argue with the notion of 145th Street being extended for 10 Cars (with a new tunnel) even though I'd consider that to be a low Priority. 

Might I also point out the fact that while your proposal introduces a 3rd Avenue Line making the transfer with the (2) at 3rd Avenue-149th Street, you might as well send the (3) to Dyre Avenue and leave the (6) handling Pelham Bay alone. Although, I did think of another idea that might interest you

Since your goal is to send the (3) via the Pelham Line, why not swap the alignments of the Pelham and White Plains Road Lines at Hunts Point instead? Over there, you'll be able to create a new transfer between the 7th Avenue and Lexington Lines (Those being the (2)(3)(5) and (6) Lines). In addition, that leaves the potential for the creation of a Transit Hub because Amtrak (and soon the Metro North) pass by that area. Although, the only downside to that is that you'd have to build a new Underground Station at Hunts Point for the ((5) and) (6) in addition to widening the street in order to build a portal (and new station on Westchester Avenue) which would require eminent domain.  The changes in this scenario would be the following:

(2) - Pelham Bay Park to Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College via "Pelham, 7th Avenue Express and Eastern Parkway Local". Some trains would run express in the peak direction. 

(3) - Pelham Bay Park to New Lots Avenue. "via Pelham, 7th Avenue Express and Eastern Parkway Local". If I don't decide to include a Harlem Shuttle, then some trains would be rerouted to Harlem-148th Street.

(S) - Harlem-148th Street to 135th Street-Lenox Avenue (this would require expanding 135th Street station which isn't included in this proposal but still worth considering)

(6) - Wakefield-241st Street to Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall. "Bronx and Lexington Local"

<6> - Wakefield-241st Street to Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall. "Bronx Express" between East 180th and 3rd Avenue-138th Street. 

I know this plan doesn't include 3rd Avenue, but thats mainly because I'd prefer if it were a part of SAS instead of Lexington. Anyways, here's my map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1XA_Bb9gktIXPBvejC3uokCbKGCxBLFSR&usp=sharing

But there's too much doubt about SAS coming to life, so I decided to make the Central Bronx corridor a Lexington Av local service instead, not to mention being much cheaper and perhaps more realistic than waiting on a mythical trunk line that would likely never materialize. If I were to use your map as a platform, my 8 train would join in with the (4) as a second express service between the Gun Hill Rd (2) station and Utica Av. One adjustment to make would be adding switches to the express tracks at 125 St in my track map.

Edited by Armandito

5 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Well, this would be one way to deinterline the IRT expresses and boost (4) service. And you’d be getting rid of the sharp curve before Simpson St that slows down even <5> thru express trains and creating a transfer not far away at Hunts Point Avenue. On the other hand, you’d probably have to have a bifurcated (4) in Brooklyn with half going to Utica and the other half to Flatbush (like the (A) in Queens).

But there's too much doubt about SAS coming to life, so I decided to make the Central Bronx corridor a Lexington Av local service instead, not to mention being much cheaper and perhaps more realistic than waiting on a mythical trunk line that would likely never materialize. If I were to use your map as a platform, my 8 train would join in with the (4) as a second express service between the Gun Hill Rd (2) station and Utica Av. One adjustment to make would be adding switches to the express tracks at 125 St in my track map.

You’ve got a point about it being likely the rest of SAS may likely never materialize. But it’s not really that much less realistic that an 8 Lexington Avenue Local up 3rd Avenue. You would still have the same EIS study and construction costs to deal with either way. 

13 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

You’ve got a point about it being likely the rest of SAS may likely never materialize. But it’s not really that much less realistic that an 8 Lexington Avenue Local up 3rd Avenue. You would still have the same EIS study and construction costs to deal with either way. 

Assuming the Pelham (3) connection is already built, an alternative routing I considered for the 8 is via Park Av instead of via 3 Av, right above the Metro-North ROW between 161 St and Gun Hill Rd/Webster Av as an elevated structure: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1RmsavrGnkmsggmrEUBYr_a8xyp1FYBUa&ll=40.7955583904281%2C-73.93537975&z=11

On the other hand, a new upper level at the 239 St Yard would need to be built to accommodate storage space for 8 trains, as this is the most accessible maintenance facility for the route.

Edited by Armandito

12 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

There is a lot of merit to a deinterlined Bronx IRT.

Pelham trains to 7th Ave express.  Transfers at Hunts Point for Lex local.  Transfer at Grand Concourse for Lex express.

"Bronx" trains (Wakefield/Dyre) to Lex local.  Transfers at Hunts Point for 7th Ave express.  Transfer at 125 st for Lex express.

Jerome trains to Lex express.  Transfer at E 149 fro 7th Ave trains. Transfer at 125th for Lex local.

It provides all of the Bronx IRT lines (except (1) ) a connection or a transfer to Lex local, Lex express, and 7th Ave express.  If the transfers were built to make some of the connections easier, this may work.

Regarding Third Ave service, it would seem that tying in to the Lex Express and perhaps tying it into the Park Ave Bronx routing may make the most sense.  In that regard, each of the Manhattan trunk lines will have two terminals:

Lex Express to Jerome Ave or Third Ave.

7th Ave express to Pelham or Parkchester.

Lex Local to Wakefield or Dyre.

Operationally, this should work pretty well.

3 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Um... I am 100% sure that new 2 tunnel is not going to work. 145th is too close to the water ether way you slice it unless the line takes a long swing west and loops under itself.

Could building a new, full-length station underneath the existing one work as well?

On 9/6/2020 at 11:36 AM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Can you elaborate on this. What is the rationale behind.... ALL of these proposals?

So I don't know that I care for this particular map.

That being said, in other countries with reasonable construction costs, I believe one city (Munich?) has an official railstitution policy of any bus line running a ten minute midday frequency.

I wonder if those tail tracks south of (R)(W) Whitehall St could possibly be extended. They’re pointed directly at Governors Island, so I’d have the (W)  stop there, then head into Red Hook under either Van Brunt St or Richards St with 1 or 2 stops before shooting straight to Saint George taking over the SIR.

(W) Red Hook to (W) Saint George would be about the same length as (A) Howard Beach to (A)(S) Broad Channel (roughly 3.7 miles), so not a big deal if MTA construction costs could be reeled in (a huge if), it’d be a huge undertaking but it seems very doable, and this route would avoid any interaction with the (D)(N)(R) in Brooklyn, easing reliability/capacity concerns. As far as Manhattan and Queens go, since the (W) already exists I don’t see this being a huge problem. I mean, service might have to be increased somewhat (CBTC should help), but it’s not like the SIR is busting at the seams, the current headways are horrible.

Also, this is probably an even bigger pipe dream, finish the SAS and create a connection to Atlantic Terminal, have the (T) takeover the LIRR to Rosedale, add a few nicely spaced infill stations along the way. Faster commute times for almost everyone along the route, tons of pressure taken off the QBL, allowing enough room for the Rockaway Beach Branch connection.

These are the infill stops I’d add:

(T) Utica Ave

(T) Rockaway Blvd

(T) Woodhaven (LIRR Woodhaven)

(T) Lefferts Blvd

(T) Linden/Guy R Brewer Blvd

(T) Baisley Blvd

Anyone at Locust Manor or Laurelton trying to go to Far Rockaway or Long Beach can still do so, just transfer to those lines at Rosedale. Anyone trying to go to Penn Station can easily transfer to the LIRR at Jamaica Station, free transfers with OMNY on the new $2.75 LIRR Penn-Jamaica “shuttle” that makes local stops, trains are revamped M7’s with 6 doors per car and subway-style seating. I could see such a line really cannibalizing the (E).

11 hours ago, Infamous85 said:

I wonder if those tail tracks south of (R)(W) Whitehall St could possibly be extended. They’re pointed directly at Governors Island, so I’d have the (W)  stop there, then head into Red Hook under either Van Brunt St or Richards St with 1 or 2 stops before shooting straight to Saint George taking over the SIR.

(W) Red Hook to (W) Saint George would be about the same length as (A) Howard Beach to (A)(S) Broad Channel (roughly 3.7 miles), so not a big deal if MTA construction costs could be reeled in (a huge if), it’d be a huge undertaking but it seems very doable, and this route would avoid any interaction with the (D)(N)(R) in Brooklyn, easing reliability/capacity concerns. As far as Manhattan and Queens go, since the (W) already exists I don’t see this being a huge problem. I mean, service might have to be increased somewhat (CBTC should help), but it’s not like the SIR is busting at the seams, the current headways are horrible.

Also, this is probably an even bigger pipe dream, finish the SAS and create a connection to Atlantic Terminal, have the (T) takeover the LIRR to Rosedale, add a few nicely spaced infill stations along the way. Faster commute times for almost everyone along the route, tons of pressure taken off the QBL, allowing enough room for the Rockaway Beach Branch connection.

These are the infill stops I’d add:

(T) Utica Ave

(T) Rockaway Blvd

(T) Woodhaven (LIRR Woodhaven)

(T) Lefferts Blvd

(T) Linden/Guy R Brewer Blvd

(T) Baisley Blvd

Anyone at Locust Manor or Laurelton trying to go to Far Rockaway or Long Beach can still do so, just transfer to those lines at Rosedale. Anyone trying to go to Penn Station can easily transfer to the LIRR at Jamaica Station, free transfers with OMNY on the new $2.75 LIRR Penn-Jamaica “shuttle” that makes local stops, trains are revamped M7’s with 6 doors per car and subway-style seating. I could see such a line really cannibalizing the (E).

This proposal would make it easy to get to Rockaway, but it would drastically decrease ridership on the Far Rockaway LIRR line

14 hours ago, Infamous85 said:

There are no tail tracks south of Whitehall street. There are bellmouths, but that's all they are, just those short openings in the tunnel walls.

On 9/8/2020 at 6:11 AM, mrsman said:

There is a lot of merit to a deinterlined Bronx IRT.

Pelham trains to 7th Ave express.  Transfers at Hunts Point for Lex local.  Transfer at Grand Concourse for Lex express.

"Bronx" trains (Wakefield/Dyre) to Lex local.  Transfers at Hunts Point for 7th Ave express.  Transfer at 125 st for Lex express.

Jerome trains to Lex express.  Transfer at E 149 fro 7th Ave trains. Transfer at 125th for Lex local.

It provides all of the Bronx IRT lines (except (1) ) a connection or a transfer to Lex local, Lex express, and 7th Ave express.  If the transfers were built to make some of the connections easier, this may work.

Regarding Third Ave service, it would seem that tying in to the Lex Express and perhaps tying it into the Park Ave Bronx routing may make the most sense.  In that regard, each of the Manhattan trunk lines will have two terminals:

Lex Express to Jerome Ave or Third Ave.

7th Ave express to Pelham or Parkchester.

Lex Local to Wakefield or Dyre.

Operationally, this should work pretty well.

It also allows the (2) to function as a sort of crosstown line from Pelham Bay to 149th/Grand Concourse with transfers to the (5)(6) at Hunts Point and the (4) at 149th. And the (5) and (6) can serve as spine lines from the far northern border to 138th St, where they would turn west towards Manhattan. The transfer at Hunts Point would allow for more riders to transfer between subway trains in The Bronx. There would be less of a need to ride into Manhattan and back out again. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

heres two proposals:

10 av subway

canal st (1)(A)(C)(E)

houston st-pier 40

10 st

bethune st

(L) enters from 14 st (start bilevel tracks)

16 st-chelsea market

23 st-chelsea piers

34 st-hudson yards

(7) leaves to queens (end bilevel tracks)

42 st

49 st

57 st

65 st-riverside south

72 st (1)(2)(3)

5 av subway:

225 st (1)

va hospital

fordham rd-university heights

179 st-morris heights

undercliff av

167 st

161 st-yankee stadium (4)(B)(D)

138 st-harlem hospital

131 st

125 st

116 st

110 st

102 st

96 st

90 st

84 st - met museum

79 st

72 st

66 st

59 st (N)(R)(W)

53 st (E)(M)

47 st

42 st (7)

34 st (connection to herald sq (B)(D)(F)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(W))

23 st (R)(W)

14 st (connection to union sq (4)(5)(6)(L)(N)(Q)(R)(W))

8 st

thompson st (new (F)(M) station connection)

bowery (J)(Z)

chatham sq

seaport (A)(C)

wall st-hanover sq (2)(3)

south ferry (1)(R)(W)

On 9/11/2020 at 12:34 PM, Armandito said:

Brooklyn-LGA Crosstown: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=13I9vecZGJDpc7SIpyjtbMZdPGwJW3OaY&ll=40.77632194205362%2C-73.91061300701041&z=11

Reverted back to the X once again, this time with an airport extension.

Manhattan transfers in Queens:

Astoria Blvd (N)(W)

41 Av (F)

Court Sq-44 Dr (E)(M)(7)

nice proposal! how do you use that map feature? the one i use is very cumbersome, and that one seems easy! how did you do it?

5 hours ago, New Flyer C40LFR said:

5 av subway:

225 st (1)

va hospital

fordham rd-university heights

179 st-morris heights

undercliff av

167 st

161 st-yankee stadium (4)(B)(D)

138 st-harlem hospital

131 st

125 st

116 st

110 st

102 st

96 st

90 st

84 st - met museum

79 st

72 st

66 st

59 st (N)(R)(W)

53 st (E)(M)

47 st

42 st (7)

34 st (connection to herald sq (B)(D)(F)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(W))

23 st (R)(W)

14 st (connection to union sq (4)(5)(6)(L)(N)(Q)(R)(W))

8 st

thompson st (new (F)(M) station connection)

bowery (J)(Z)

chatham sq

seaport (A)(C)

wall st-hanover sq (2)(3)

south ferry (1)(R)(W)

This is actually not a bad idea. Essentially, this acts as another line on the East side of Manhattan which it desperately needs. However, it won't become a reality due to Second Av underway and we don't even know if that is going to be a thing in the next few years. It might be another scenario where the next phase isn't coming until another 100 years unfortunately. Although, I would like the MTA look into this.

On 9/14/2020 at 3:01 PM, Vulturious said:

This is actually not a bad idea. Essentially, this acts as another line on the East side of Manhattan which it desperately needs. However, it won't become a reality due to Second Av underway and we don't even know if that is going to be a thing in the next few years. It might be another scenario where the next phase isn't coming until another 100 years unfortunately. Although, I would like the MTA look into this.

Not so fast...I once proposed a Fifth Avenue subway a long time ago only to be told that this would mean a lot of bus cuts along the way.

On 9/14/2020 at 10:38 AM, Armandito said:

Used the line tool for the Route layer and the marker too for the Stations layer.

man, this character knows how to use google maps... the nationalgeographic maps he drew in the bus section is a ploy to throw us off... He's a former member on here that's trying to weasel his way back into people's good graces... People on here posing as their own fathers to try to rectify matters... Goofy shit.

Not so fast...I once proposed a Fifth Avenue subway a long time ago only to be told that this would mean a lot of bus cuts along the way.

Although they run erratically as hell, I see no shortage of buses along Lex....