MTA proposes 24-hour Bx24 service

GreatOne2k

Wow, I could list a whole bunch of routes that should get overnight service before the Bx24. The Bx29 if you want to talk about serving small communities, but also the Bx3, Bx13, one of the NE Bronx routes (Bx16 or Bx31), maybe the Bx1, Bx5, etc.

If the stuff at Hutchinson Metro Center is so important to serve overnight, the Bx21 can be diverted in there (it would require the headway to be 50-60 minutes instead of 45 minutes). 

Wow, I could list a whole bunch of routes that should get overnight service before the Bx24. The Bx29 if you want to talk about serving small communities, but also the Bx3, Bx13, one of the NE Bronx routes (Bx16 or Bx31), maybe the Bx1, Bx5, etc.

If the stuff at Hutchinson Metro Center is so important to serve overnight, the Bx21 can be diverted in there (it would require the headway to be 50-60 minutes instead of 45 minutes).

Better yet find a way to get the Bx31 to directly serve the Metro Center and have it run overnight as well. 

Why would a every 30 minute bus have 24 hour service. ..not in favour

Have better the bx29 24/7 or the bx1, bx3 bx31 and the q50...i mentioned the q50 since its a queens prefixed bus but operated out from Eastchester depot...the 3 hour gap is a killer

Why would a every 30 minute bus have 24 hour service. ..not in favour

Have better the bx29 24/7 or the bx1, bx3 bx31 and the q50...i mentioned the q50 since its a queens prefixed bus but operated out from Eastchester depot...the 3 hour gap is a killer

I don't think the Q50 needs it. You could use the Q44 for service in queens. If bruckner service is the answer, put the Bx5 in there, not the Q50. Co-op city, bring the Bx23 into this.

Good point but ive seen many passengers who board the q50 bounded for Flushing even at the last hours. ..i remember 6 months ago i boarded a 430am q50 with about 12 passengers. ..it is a major route to say much as it links a very heavy residential area (Co-op city) to Flushing

The bx23 can work as well and the bx5 but the heavy part of the bx5 is between Hunts Point and Soundview

Good point but ive seen many passengers who board the q50 bounded for Flushing even at the last hours. ..i remember 6 months ago i boarded a 430am q50 with about 12 passengers. ..it is a major route to say much as it links a very heavy residential area (Co-op city) to Flushing

The bx23 can work as well and the bx5 but the heavy part of the bx5 is between Hunts Point and Soundview

True but I just don't see residents going to/from flushing in the late hours, which is why I mentioned the Q44-Bx5-Bx23 combo. Yes, I can see it being needed at.... lets say just after midnight, but between 1AM-4AM, I feel it would be pretty much dead.

Edit: looking at the Q50 schedule, I feel it is fine the way it is. No changes needed IMO.

You would think they would choose the Bx23 over the 24. I mean granted, the 38 (or 28, I forget lol) is the late night Co-Op service, but how many people need it points south, compared to points west?

The 28 (but it's via all sections and terminates at Norwood, so it's more like an extended 38 lol), but the advantage is that it connects to multiple subway lines and serves intermediate neighborhoods, whereas the Bx23 only connects Co-Op City to PBP. 

But do those folks even want buses running overnight?

Well if the overnight route is to serve Hutchinson Metro, than I would imagine a Bx24 shuttle from Hutchinson to Westchester Sq or PBP. I don't think it needs to run its full route to Country Club.

But do those folks even want buses running overnight?

Not sure. If the MTA proposed overnight service on this route, something might of been said in their neighborhood. Funny thing is the amount of people riding this route, and the fact that they even proposed overnight service.

Well if the overnight route is to serve Hutchinson Metro, than I would imagine a Bx24 shuttle from Hutchinson to Westchester Sq or PBP. I don't think it needs to run its full route to Country Club.

Perhaps so, but it could be possible to run the full route as well. We have to wait until March 21 to see what the Bx24 will officially do overnight.

It has the lowest ridership in the Bronx excluding the Bx20 and Bx46 for obvious reasons. I agree with Fresh Pond I could see the Bx23 and maybe even the Q50 being proposed for an overnight service but not the Bx24. I'm just waiting for someone to say it was a joke. I can think of several routes that need service improvements.

If Hutchinson Metro Center meeds to be served, and they don't want to reroute the Bx21, they should run it as part of a late night Bx29 service. After Pelham Bay, it runs the Bx24 route. You could run the route every 40 minutes, timed with the (6) at Pelham Bay Park. Two buses would be used on the bus (it would be the same amount of buses used if both the Bx29 and Bx24 used two buses at 30 minute and 60 minute headways, respectively). This also adds late night service to the Bx29.

How about making the Bx23 run down to the Hutchinson Metro Center, and add more service during the day, and have the Bx23 run overnight.  This at least allows for transfers to the Bx21, Bx40, 6 train, Bx12 Local, and the Bx28 buses.

The other idea is to have a branch of the Bx31 (we'll call this the Bx31H) run 24/7 through the Hutchinson Metro Center to Westchester Square.

Someone else suggested that  :bus_bullet_bx29: should have overnight service. Maybe a single bus could cover both  :bus_bullet_bx24: (Hutchinson Metro Center to Pelham Bay) and  :bus_bullet_bx29: (Pelham Bay to City Island). 

Archived