Best/Worst Station Thread

Since we have a Best/Worst Terminal Thread, I thought why not have a best/worst station thread?

Anyway, here's my picks:

Best Station: West 4th Street (A)(C)(E)(B)(D)(F)(M)

Two levels, 8 tracks and 7 services. What's not to like?

Worst Station: Lawrence Street (R)

The platform width, that is all...

I'm interested to see your picks.

Best: South Ferry (1)

Either station. Although the new one was shoddily built, it's very clean and pleasant (or... it was) whereas the old one is just really interesting and nostalgic.

Worst: 21 - Van Alst (G)

Looks awful, and extremely desolate as well.

Bruh... Surprised the first thing that automatically didn't come as first place for worst station is Chambers St (J)(Z). Always bring an umbrella for the raining concrete to that station. The best IMO is 21 st Queensbridge (F) that stations looks like an unabandoned City hall on the (6).

The best IMO is 21 st Queensbridge (F) that stations looks like an unabandoned City hall on the (6).

I like Queensbridge too (and Lex-63rd, Roosevelt Island, Jamaica-Van Wyck, Sutphin and Parsons-Archer for that matter) but West 4th's sheer massiveness beats it out in my book.

Bruh... Surprised the first thing that automatically didn't come as first place for worst station is Chambers St (J)(Z). Always bring an umbrella for the raining concrete to that station.

When I initially thought out this topic, I was purely thinking from a design standpoint. Chambers Street's design is pretty good. However it's been allowed to deteriorate.

Yeah, I like the tall ceilings of Chambers, and if they renovated it, I'm sure it would look splendid.

However, 21 Van Alst suffers from the same problems a lot of outer borough IND stations do - it's just a really lonely location. I've seen the pictures of most local stations on the (C) in Brooklyn, and nearby (G) stations too. They look like the kind of place where a grisly murder would happen, because there's almost no one in any of the photos.

I like Queensbridge too (and Lex-63rd, Roosevelt Island, Jamaica-Van Wyck, Sutphin and Parsons-Archer for that matter) but West 4th's sheer massiveness beats it out in my book.

When I initially thought out this topic, I was purely thinking from a design standpoint. Chambers Street's design is pretty good. However it's been allowed to deteriorate.

Well as far as design, the stations on the (1) in upper Manhattan are architecture jewels in my eyes, despite the deterioration and dirt of some of them. Once the renovations are done at both 168th & 181st they will look decent but my favorite station of all is 125th St-Broadway. You get nice views of Harlem and a brief view of the Hudson River and the Riverside Dr Viaduct not to mention the engineering structures that make up that station from both sides. 

I can't list one so I will list a few

Favorites:

Chambers Street (J)(Z)

City Hall (R)

Times Square (S)

Smith – Ninth Streets (F)(G)

Coney Island (D)(F)(N)(Q)

Hoyt – Schermerhorn Streets (A)(C)(G)

Broadway Junction (A)(C)(J)(L)(Z)

The worst.... eh..

This doesn't work but World Trade Center PATH

Let's see....

Bad stations: Chambers St sucks ass in design (track, platform, and stability wise), Hudson Yards wins the award for the "most soaked" opening, 168 St is an annoyance if transferring between the (1) and (A)(C), and I'll throw in the South Ferry loop and 145 St for not being able to fit in an entire train.

Good stations: 4 Av- 9 St is an interesting complex with the way you enter the Culver level from the 4 Av level, Bowling green and Broadway Junction (L) have "unique" platforms, 125 St (4)(5)(6) and 168 St (A)(C) have an irregular local-express setup, and entering/departing Pelham Parkway (5) is interesting when there are no walls at the end of the platforms.

Best: South Ferry (1)

Either station. Although the new one was shoddily built, it's very clean and pleasant (or... it was) whereas the old one is just really interesting and nostalgic.

The old one is also closer to the surface, so it's easier for able-bodied passengers to run up and catch the ferry when they only have a minute or two to make it.

Well as far as design, the stations on the (1) in upper Manhattan are architecture jewels in my eyes, despite the deterioration and dirt of some of them. Once the renovations are done at both 168th & 181st they will look decent but my favorite station of all is 125th St-Broadway. You get nice views of Harlem and a brief view of the Hudson River and the Riverside Dr Viaduct not to mention the engineering structures that make up that station from both sides. 

I love that station too. It's almost symbolic that it's between two schools with big engineering programs (CCNY & Columbia) that give you the theory of engineering, and then you have the practice of it right in the middle.

Bruh... Surprised the first thing that automatically didn't come as first place for worst station is Chambers St (J)(Z).

I respect a station that manages to look like it's from Portal 2.

Nostrand Avenue (A)(C) because of the unique express/local platform setup, and Lexington Av-63 Street because of the amount of stairs, and how frequently the escalators are broken.

I (C) what you did there. ^

Worst Station out of all the stations I know of, has to be 169 St on the (1)(C) and (A). That Station has been undergoing renovations since I was a little boy, plus it's falling into disrepair, the elevators are slow as fu**, and a lot of other shit.

My favorite stations is Dyckman on the (1), 231st on the (1), 63rd Drive, Kings Highway on the (B) and (Q), and 72nd Street on the 1, 2, 3.

The worse station is 34th Street-Hudson, and possibly every station on the 7 besides 74th, Mets, 111th and QBP.

The best stations in my opinion would be:

1. 179th street  (F)

2. Stillwell Ave  (D)  (F)  (N)  (Q)

3. 34th street Hudson yards (7)  <7> (way better than Times Square 42nd)

The worst in my opinion:

Chambers Street  (J)  (Z)  This station really needs a renovation badly, it's crying for it.

21st  (G)  is pretty disgusting. 

South Ferry (old station) and 145th on the  (3) . These stations should have closed shortly after the IRT extended the platforms at many stations.

Archived