Best/Worst Station Thread

My favorite ones would have to be:

Smith/9th Streets (F)(G) (amazing views and beautiful design)

East 105th Street (L) (feels like you're not in a subway station)

125th Street (1) (one of the better looking elevated stations)

Lex-63rd, Roosevelt Island, & 21 - Qnsbridge (F) (all of these stations have unique designs.)

My least favorite would have to be 65th Street (M)(R). (Only station on QBL that does not have pillars and it looks weird).

Best:

Hudson Yards

Fulton Center

Coney Island

Worst:

3 Av-138th Street (6)

Chambers Street

^These are both essentially rotting away. It's disgusting.

I definitely agree with 3 Av-138th St. For a station with both local and express service, I would expect a better station. This area, in the past, must have been a major hub. These days, it's pretty desolate.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bowery on the J.

Best:

Smith/9th  (F)  (G)

West 8th (F)(Q), always a relaxing station for me. It's nice to look over the ocean and Luna Park while waiting for the train, especially on the Manhattan bound (Q) side.

8th Ave (A)(C)(E)(L), I just love the art.

Worst:

Chambers (J)(Z), although I kinda like it since it reminds me of a forgotten cave or something

Surprised no one mentioned any IRT Brooklyn stations... most of them are in desperate need of rehab aside from Atlantic Avenue - Hoyt Street and some others like Utica Avenue (3)(4) and Church Avenue (2)(5). Bergen Street is one of the worst, and President Street is also pretty bad.

If you know an (F) left, and you want to get to Jackson Heights–Roosevelt Avenue, you’d wait in the middle for an (E), or if a (D) / (B) shows up, take that instead to catch up with the (F) since the (E) is 3 minutes slower then the (F) from the same station.

The (F) runs frequent enough that if you miss it, it's still worth it to wait for the next one because you have a much better shot at getting a seat at W4 than 34th. Unless you're in that much of a hurry

The (F) runs frequent enough that if you miss it, it's still worth it to wait for the next one because you have a much better shot at getting a seat at W4 than 34th. Unless you're in that much of a hurry

I use the (F) during midday hours, so it’s been advantageous so far for me to follow the procedure. There are times when I miss an (F) and an (E). If a train comes rumbling by above, I take it back to 47–50 Streets–Rockefeller Center and the (F) is usually not far behind. The (F) and the (E) save me enough time that I’m willing to gamble for them. And because I’m going from one job to another, I run on a tight schedule and every minute shaved reduces my chance of being late.

The 4 Ave/ 9 St complex is one of the worst.  It's not ADA accessible and the fact that it is a local stop for both lines makes it worse since the F and/or R might have a  G.O. which makes it go express in one direction or those routes might have a skip.  At least there's a transfer for those lines at Jay Street.

Best: Times Square - 42nd Street (A)(C)(E)(N)(Q)(R)(S)(1)(2)(3)(7) (LOOK AT THIS HUMONGOUS AMOUNT OF ROUTES!)

You can hang around throughout this station in all these stores. While you are waiting for the trains at (N)(Q)(R), you don't feel bored, you hear the music. The station also have a (S) to Grand Central, links a crowd to Lexington Avenue line.

Worst: Chamber Street (J)(Z)

Smells even worse than bathroom. Heck lot of worse during Spring and Fall season, you might hear lot of commuters coughing because they cannot breathe this malevolent sense plus even pollen can roam around through waiting areas, causing some delays after one or more customers got a diarrhea. Another bad news, (J) arrives that station too long, often not punctual to get their living daylights out of that station.

That is why this station is called "Chamber", like a place with lots of rusted pipes, mostly linking from bathroom.

Best: Times Square - 42nd Street (A)(C)(E)(N)(Q)(R)(S)(1)(2)(3)(7) (LOOK AT THIS HUMONGOUS AMOUNT OF ROUTES!)

You can hang around throughout this station in all these stores. While you are waiting for the trains at (N)(Q)(R), you don't feel bored, you hear the music. The station also have a (S) to Grand Central, links a crowd to Lexington Avenue line.

That's why I like West 4th Street and the other busy Manhattan stations. There is always some sort of music being played. At West 4th, there is usually a jazz band there and it's relaxing to listen to them as I wait for a (C).

I'm also adding these to my best list: 42 St-PABT and 34 Street-Penn Station (A)(C)(E).

• 3 weeks later...

Best West 4th and Times Square , worst Chambers --- run down, 149th / GC 2&5 --- a hike to get to the street , 155 Polo grounds one exit and in the cold weather the staircase is a nightmare with people slipping and sliding

Best: Neck Road, its a nice little local stop that has more of a railroad feel (think Amtrak) than a subway station. Also my home stop =)

Worst: TSQ-42. Holy tourists. Everywhere. They clog up the turnstiles looking for their MCs, walk like molasses, and are a general nuisance especially when they don't use the poles on the trains.

Hands down most of the stations are great, but there are a few I can't stand.

Worst: 

South Ferry (1): That loop has to go. Slows trains down and the screeching is annoying. 

Aqueduct-N. Conduit Av (A): The exit and entrance setup is annoying and the station is not too appealing. 

All underground Bronx (B)(D) and (6) stations (except 161 St): The Concourse Line looks like a prison and the (6) is in need of some serious rehabilitation & the setup at Fordham Rd when you're trying to get to a southbound is horrible.

168 St (A)(C)(1), 36 St (D)(N)(R) & 59 St (N)(R): Could use some T.L.C.

The Sea Beach Line (N): Just old and weathered.

Chambers St (J)(Z): Absolutely disgusting, looks like the ceiling is going to collapse, very dingy and poorly maintained. 

Bowery (J)(Z): Absolutely disgusting, I try very hard not to touch anything.

Hands down most of the stations are great, but there are a few I can't stand.

Worst: 

South Ferry (1): That loop has to go. Slows trains down and the screeching is annoying. 

Aqueduct-N. Conduit Av (A): The exit and entrance setup is annoying and the station is not too appealing. 

All underground Bronx (B)(D) and (6) stations (except 161 St): The Concourse Line looks like a prison and the (6) is in need of some serious rehabilitation & the setup at Fordham Rd when you're trying to get to a southbound is horrible.

168 St (A)(C)(1), 36 St (D)(N)(R) & 59 St (N)(R): Could use some T.L.C.

The Sea Beach Line (N): Just old and weathered.

Chambers St (J)(Z): Absolutely disgusting, looks like the ceiling is going to collapse, very dingy and poorly maintained. 

Bowery (J)(Z): Absolutely disgusting, I try very hard not to touch anything.

I agree with the Fordham (B)(D) station, I despise that station so much.

Best: Neck Road, its a nice little local stop that has more of a railroad feel (think Amtrak) than a subway station. Also my home stop =)

Worst: TSQ-42. Holy tourists. Everywhere. They clog up the turnstiles looking for their MCs, walk like molasses, and are a general nuisance especially when they don't use the poles on the trains.

I also love the remnants of the Manhattan Beach Branch right next to the station. Whenever I go on the Brighton Line I go there as well as Avenue H.

Best 10 (no particular order)

-Chambers St (J)(Z): I mean yes, the station looks like a total run down embarrassment, but the sheer amount of history in that station is amazing. Its like you're stuck in a perpetual time machine, and the high ceilings add another good touch to it.

-190 St (A): I love using the exit that leads to Overlook Terrace. The station entrance fits well with the area and the rocks over there.

-181 St (1): The long tunnel before you get to the actual ststion. Nuff said.

-125 St (1): The steel arch spanning 125 St/Bway is beautiful. Shows what the people of 1904 was faced with when they were originally building the system when they got to Manhattanville. Instead of digging under the valley, they just went straight through it.

-Times Sq Complex: Great ease of access to many trains and many great places in the area.

-Marble Hill-225 St (1): Nothing really special about this one, just the northernmost station in Manhattan while at the same time not physically being in Manhattan.

-Sutter Av (L): Despite being in an area not many people are too fond of (whimps lol), its one of the most underrated stations to catch photos at.

-Livonia Av (L): Bored of waiting for the (L)? Take a picture of the (3) up above while you wait. Bonus points if you can catch both. Another station not too many are fond of.

-Broadway Junction: 3 levels of trains. A maze of tracks going left and right, and a good view of the yard a couple hundred yards away.

-Hudson Yards  (7): The first new stand-alone station in over 25 years (I don't count new SF as a new station, just a replacement of the old one), The MTA really outdone themselves on appearance. The inclined elevator is a plus, super deep level station, and the platform itself is one of the widest in the system. Still kinda ironic it wasn't wired for underground cell service while it was being built, but the next (older) station north has it completely lol.

Worst 5 (no particular order)

-Ralph Av (C): Just a shell of what it used to be. Don't look like anything changed about since I lived over there in 1998.

-Broadway (G): Bad enough they treat the line as a 3 legged stepchild, they just treat this station like its 9 legged pet dog. Bonus points for the misspelling BROADWAY and never fixing it, even that's overlooked.

-Either Penn Station: I just hate them stations and detest using them. I walk over to Herald Sq just to avoid it.

-Atlantic-Barclays: Nope nope nope nope nope nope.

-Delancey-Essex: Station layout can be a pain at times, especially when I'm not sober lol.

Honorable Mentions

-Aqueduct Racetrack: Either they open it, or close it, then open it part-time, then close it again, now open it full-time. Literally half a station (good places for photos & videos), but the passive aggressive nature they treat the station is funny.

-Dyckman St (1)

-155 St-8 Av (D): Another station that isn't what it used to be. A lot of history, but often overlooked

Best stations: 

Parkchester, Morrison Avenue-Soundview, Whitlock Avenue & Elder Avenue (6)

Pelham Parkway, West Farms Square-East Tremont Avenue & Simpson Street (2)(5)

125th Street (2)(3)

125th Street & Marble Hill-225th Street (1)

96th Street & 72nd Street (1)(2)(3)

Times Square 

Bleecker Street (6)

103rd Street (B)(C)

34th Street-Hudson Yards, Hunters Point Avenue & 33rd-Rawson Streets (7) 

Roosevelt Island & 21St-Queensbridge  (F)

Livonia Avenue (L)

Broadway Junction 

Myrtle Avenue 

Smith-9th Streets (F)(G)

Dyckman Street (1)

Worst Stations:

West 4th Street 

Chambers Street (J)(Z)

149th Street-Grand Concourse 

34th Street-Herald Square 

6th Avenue (L)

5th Avenue-Bryant Park (7)

14th Street-Union Square 

Franklin Avenue 

Court Square  & 21St-Van Alst (G)

Grant Avenue (A)

Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets 

Best

Dyckman St  (1)

Borough Hall (4)(5)

Hoyt Schermerhorn Sts (A)(C)(G)

Fulton St

Elmhurst Av, Woodhaven Blvd, and 63 St (M)(R)

90 St, Junction Blvd, and 103 St Corona Plz (7)

High St (A)(C)

161 St (4)(B)(D)

167 St (4)

190 St (A)

Lex Av 63 St (F) 

Worst

New South Ferry (1)

• 3 weeks later...

I might be jumping the gun here, but I'm putting my money on Cortlandt St. –– World Trade Ctr. (serving the (1) line). Seriously, how many other train stations are both subterranean and elevated at the same time?

I might be jumping the gun here, but I'm putting my money on Cortlandt St. –– World Trade Ctr. (serving the (1) line). Seriously, how many other train stations are both subterranean and elevated at the same time?

170 St (D). Station seems underground, but a street crosses directly under the south end also dipping below Grand Concourse. You can see the "underground" station box from the street.

125 St on the (1) is about 20' below sea level, yet still about 50-60' in the air.

Archived