ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

1 hour ago, acabral136 said:

I was at the simulator yesterday and there was another class there taking their first signal test. From what I heard, one of them failed. 

Even if it isn't super hard, don't take it for granted and study your ass off anyway. U don't want to fail over a single word that u didn't read properly in the question. We had a quiz and one of the answers was "expecting the next signal to clear" and the other was "expecting the signal to be clear". Some people in my class got it wrong just cause they missed that 'be'. So even something as easy as a fixed automatic signal displaying a green aspect can trip u up if u go in there too cocky and don't read the question thoroughly. 

And that’s why I’m being overly cautious and would rather overstudy than not. Especially if they’re that anal.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

And that’s why I’m being overly cautious and would rather overstudy than not. Especially if they’re that anal.

At the same time though, u don't want to overwhelm yourself. You don't want to burn out before getting started. 

On 8/7/2019 at 12:58 AM, MarkGuy said:

Does the tss use signal definitions other than the rule book says? How many hours per day do you drill them in the classroom and on the road? Also, I was wondering, would I be allowed to phone record my tss going over the aspects of the yard practicals for a reference?

You won't be able to use your phone for anything.  

Drill until you're comfortable.  Everyone is different.  

Don't get too overwhelmed initially if you're not grasping or retaining all the material verbatim.  It's a lot easier to memorize something you understand and that takes a little bit of time. 

Patience is the name of the game here.  Lots of material in a very short amount of time.  

3 minutes ago, Kj224 said:

How long is the training?

I will be in school car until February 3rd according to our schedule. There's periods in between where I will be yard posting and then road posting, but I will belong to school car until February. 

7 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

I will be in school car until February 3rd according to our schedule. There's periods in between where I will be yard posting and then road posting, but I will belong to school car until February. 

About six months which likely means I'll finish in March. Just in time for my birthday.

Edit: Oh and I know not necessarily everyone knows this forum, but not a peep of people going into medical for August or beyond since Harlem and I sworn in... I will certainly consider myself lucky.

Edited by Jericho

27 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

Have you operated a train yet? How does it feel? I’m feeling excited 

5 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Have you operated a train yet? How does it feel? I’m feeling excited 

We go down the road tomorrow for the first time. Going to take turns on the 1 train. I'm really excited for it. 

I have operated just a little bit in the yard but not much. 

Edited by acabral136

5 hours ago, LIRRMedford said:

How did your road day go?

Went well. We got the 1 out of van Cortlandt and got to take it all the way out to New lots for around 10 stops each. It's fun moving the train but man it's tough paying attention to so many things at once at first. I guess that's what we will be getting used to. We go on the road again on Wednesday out of Livonia. Can't wait. 

30 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

Went well. We got the 1 out of van Cortlandt and got to take it all the way out to New lots for around 10 stops each. It's fun moving the train but man it's tough paying attention to so many things at once at first. I guess that's what we will be getting used to. We go on the road again on Wednesday out of Livonia. Can't wait. 

How does stopping feel? Is it complex?

2 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

How does stopping feel? Is it complex?

I wouldn't call it complex. It's tough making precise smooth stops because it's my first time but the actual operating of the train isn't very complicated once u get used to the positions of the master controller and the break handle. 

Are there major differences between the A and B Divisions other than the depot locations and the length of schoolcar? 

- Does one division have more turnover?

- Can you pick a regular job earlier in one division?

- Is there more flexibility in one?

32 minutes ago, Harlem said:

Are there major differences between the A and B Divisions other than the depot locations and the length of schoolcar? 

- Does one division have more turnover?

- Can you pick a regular job earlier in one division?

- Is there more flexibility in one?

Schoolcar for B div is longer than A div by approximately 2 months.

Idk about turnover - but people can make more mistakes in the B division due to the sheer amount of points of no return. However, in that same vein, you can get away with more in the B division because it doesn’t have ATS like the A div which allows RCC to track you.

Due to the B division being exponentially larger than the A div, I assume that it’s easier to pick a regular job.

I don’t understand what you mean by flexibility.

4 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

Schoolcar for B div is longer than A div by approximately 2 months.

Idk about turnover - but people can make more mistakes in the B division due to the sheer amount of points of no return. However, in that same vein, you can get away with more in the B division because it doesn’t have ATS like the A div which allows RCC to track you.

Due to the B division being exponentially larger than the A div, I assume that it’s easier to pick a regular job.

I don’t understand what you mean by flexibility.

Thanks. That's helpful. I guess by flexibility I meant a little more room to make mistakes, but you already answered that. I hope the next class gets an opportunity to pick.

22 minutes ago, Harlem said:

Thanks. That's helpful. I guess by flexibility I meant a little more room to make mistakes, but you already answered that. I hope the next class gets an opportunity to pick.

Just piggybacking off what the poster said. Being new it's expected that you're going to make mistakes I've heard RCC ask the T/O or C/R who has an incident whether or not they're on probation over the radio. You shouldn't be trying to "get away with" anything, if you make a mistake own up to it. You never know who's riding your train, could be a Superintendent, TSS, fellow employee, or nosy passenger with a camera phone. 

I highly recommend if given the choice you choose based on what's more convenient for you travel wise, not based on what's harder or what you can 'get away with'. Traveling to the otherside of the world everyday gets old quickly.

Goodluck with everything.

4 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Just piggybacking off what the poster said. Being new it's expected that you're going to make mistakes I've heard RCC ask the T/O or C/R who has an incident whether or not they're on probation over the radio. You shouldn't be trying to "get away with" anything, if you make a mistake own up to it. You never know who's riding your train, could be a Superintendent, TSS, fellow employee, or nosy passenger with a camera phone. 

I highly recommend if given the choice you choose based on what's more convenient for you travel wise, not based on what's harder or what you can 'get away with'. Traveling to the otherside of the world everyday gets old quickly.

After looking at my schedule for schoolcar, I cannot stress enough how happy I am to have been able to choose the A. One of my TSSs said 75 percent of my jobs in the A will start in the bronx once I'm off on my own. Living in the northern bronx, this is such a relief. 

11 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Definitely agree.

I don’t encourage people trying to hide a mistake - that would just make the discipline worse if you’re caught in the coverup.

Like Jchambers said; all it takes is the wrong person riding on your train and you’re caught. With all these ppl and their cameras, you’ve gotta be on your toes.

After looking at my schedule for schoolcar, I cannot stress enough how happy I am to have been able to choose the A. One of my TSSs said 75 percent of my jobs in the A will start in the bronx once I'm off on my own. Living in the northern bronx, this is such a relief. 

You're right, the A division is a no-brainer if you live in the Bronx. If you live in Manhattan it's a little trickier, everything becomes equidistant. Thanks again.

That’s def why I’m gunning for b div now. Most reporting locations will be in Brooklyn most likely 

39 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

That’s def why I’m gunning for b div now. Most reporting locations will be in Brooklyn most likely 

You will also spend a good amount of time in Queens. But for sure, less uptown & Bronx reports than the A.

2 hours ago, acabral136 said:

I wish I had the choice. I live in BK and got forced into the A and the traveling back and forth to work gets tedious after a while. Sent in a G2 to transfer to the B next pick, if not I’ll be XX for two years and I’m a conductor. Train operators move even slower seniority wise than us so to all the prospects choose wisely.