ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

1 hour ago, rondread445 said:

Hello to all future T/O's on this thread. Just a reminder before you get to second step please get in shape health wise. Can't stress this enough, especially with your weight. I was called last June for final processing and got hit with sleep apnea and couldn't go forward. It takes forever for a CPAP machine so if your neck size is 17" and over you have to take a sleep test. If you think you are 17 and up take the test NOW and save yourself the aggravation I had to go through.

15**  got my medical on Friday, being considered for the April 11th class. Take copies of every single form you fill out without the date and signature so everytime you get called you're ready with everything. Good luck to everyone!! ✌️

Hey!! So can you tell me exactly what they needed from doctor?? I already have sleep machine and want to be prepared if they call me for medical soon! 

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, thegameksk said:

They want every job since high school.  No resume has every job you've ever held since hs.

I took a picture of all my information I did the first time for pre-employment lol I know it sounds like a lot but when we went back in for a second time I had that to reference. Also they tell you to do everything with the best of your knowledge. So as long as everything matches both times they call you in you’re fine. 

4 hours ago, Late Clear said:

Yeah I know, but they see tons of stuff and the majority of it is irrelevant too, so how can you expect them to retain everything when they're taught to walk around on pins and needles the entire time.  

I still think that YX should eliminated and more time should be dedicated to hands on posting in the yards and on the road on every tour.   Let's say they post AMs in the yard and now they're YX with a switching job out of a terminal on the PMs and expected to layup trains, it's completely different. 

I agree with a few things you stated here. A lot of the information being given during school car is irrelevant, however if you really asset yourself and pay attention a lot of those things become very relevant when you’re out there on your own. Now to be honest we know this list was pretty much started at a time when there was a high shortage of T/Os so coming in you should know that you’re gonna be used as is! They tell you schedule wise you can be anywhere on random tours, so just gotta mentally prepare for that. In terms of the moves, just ask, either other T/Os, dispatcher or TSS, believe it or not there are still people down here that have no problem helping out, but if you don’t ask you can’t be helped!

3 hours ago, rondread445 said:

Hello to all future T/O's on this thread. Just a reminder before you get to second step please get in shape health wise. Can't stress this enough, especially with your weight. I was called last June for final processing and got hit with sleep apnea and couldn't go forward. It takes forever for a CPAP machine so if your neck size is 17" and over you have to take a sleep test. If you think you are 17 and up take the test NOW and save yourself the aggravation I had to go through.

15**  got my medical on Friday, being considered for the April 11th class. Take copies of every single form you fill out without the date and signature so everytime you get called you're ready with everything. Good luck to everyone!! ✌️

So after you pass medical they let you know what class you will be considered for if any?

I use the cpap machine.  I've heard ill need a letter from my sleep dr stating that I use it and I can't get this letter until I get notice that I'm being called in for medical

6 hours ago, Late Clear said:

Yeah I know, but they see tons of stuff and the majority of it is irrelevant too, so how can you expect them to retain everything when they're taught to walk around on pins and needles the entire time.  

Yard//station Posting isn't the same as Schoolcar, i don't consider one on one with a trainer as pins and needles.

6 hours ago, Late Clear said:

Let's say they post AMs in the yard and now they're YX with a switching job out of a terminal on the PMs and expected to layup trains, it's completely different. 

Thats how they do it? Ohh that's interesting...

5 hours ago, Mikeyanthony23 said:

Hey!! So can you tell me exactly what they needed from doctor?? I already have sleep machine and want to be prepared if they call me for medical soon! 

You have to show them initial lab test results and what the doctors diagnosis is. If you sleep with a machine your AHI has to be less than 15 on average over the period of one month, proof of this is needed.

4 hours ago, thegameksk said:

So after you pass medical they let you know what class you will be considered for if any?

I use the cpap machine.  I've heard ill need a letter from my sleep dr stating that I use it and I can't get this letter until I get notice that I'm being called in for medical

After you pass your medical you will be processed and sworn in the same day. You'll know what class you're being considered for when you receive the conditional offer email, most likely from Ms.Vargas so keep an eye out. 

When it comes to the CPAP machine you should be able to get the results anytime from your doctor. They will require proof from the doctor that you've been using the machine for at least 28 consecutive days up to the day of your medical with an average AHI of 15 or less. Keep sleeping with the machine and you'll be fine.

4 hours ago, rondread445 said:

After you pass your medical you will be processed and sworn in the same day. You'll know what class you're being considered for when you receive the conditional offer email, most likely from Ms.Vargas so keep an eye out. 

When it comes to the CPAP machine you should be able to get the results anytime from your doctor. They will require proof from the doctor that you've been using the machine for at least 28 consecutive days up to the day of your medical with an average AHI of 15 or less. Keep sleeping with the machine and you'll be fine.

What do you mean by up to the day of medical? Would I be able to get the note before medical is even scheduled?

9 minutes ago, thegameksk said:

What do you mean by up to the day of medical? Would I be able to get the note before medical is even scheduled?

Well I think what he’s trying to say is that they want the most up to date reading, so since we don’t know when we are going to go to medical, we have to wait up until then to request the info from doctor? That’s what I’m gathering. 

I understand that but then they should give us time to get that.  I was giving 2 week notice for pre-employment which is fine but I know for a fact my sleep dr never has fast appointments available.  Usually its a 3 week wait. If they only give 2 week notice for medical ill be waiting a while.

Edited by thegameksk

17 hours ago, Late Clear said:

I still think that YX should eliminated and more time should be dedicated to hands on posting in the yards and on the road on every tour.   Let's say they post AMs in the yard and now they're YX with a switching job out of a terminal on the PMs and expected to layup trains, it's completely different. 

a lot of new students from the classes before us are screwing up both in YX and RX.  it's very scary and disheartening to hear about them being put on "platform" duty......whatever that means

P.S. I think we're next.......

Edited by trackerjack

15 hours ago, rondread445 said:

i'm seriously surprised they passed me on the medical.  if you seen the size of my gut....u would think i would fail or be forced to do the sleep apnea tests or have a super high blood pressure rating.....but i passed, i do walk a lot if i can give myself any credit.....so maybe that's what saved me......passed by the skin of my teeth

50 minutes ago, trackerjack said:

a lot of new students from the classes before us are screwing up both in YX and RX.  it's very scary and disheartening to hear about them being put on "platform" duty......whatever that means

P.S. I think we're next.......

Platform is when you are waiting for Transit to finish investigating your case and you at least still get to work and be paid, but your retirement date gets extended. You will usually be assigned to terminals to open cab doors for the cleaners or get people off trains that are being laid up. You can also work at intermediate stations where you have to let passengers know of service changes.

_____

Never be afraid to ask for a TSS when making a move you are not familiar with. No matter how stupid you think you'll look, it's much worse when you do something you're not suppose to. Certainly ask the dispatcher how you are suppose to do the move or a fellow train operator. Ask the tower where you're suppose to go. Just ask someone. Don't go in blind.

6 hours ago, thegameksk said:

No not the up to the exact date, I would say about a week before. Or you can always return with the paperwork another day. As long as you're using the machine you're good.

13 hours ago, trackerjack said:

i'm seriously surprised they passed me on the medical.  if you seen the size of my gut....u would think i would fail or be forced to do the sleep apnea tests or have a super high blood pressure rating.....but i passed, i do walk a lot if i can give myself any credit.....so maybe that's what saved me......passed by the skin of my teeth

How difficult has the training been 

13 hours ago, trackerjack said:

8 minutes ago, thegameksk said:

So the application says we have to email the completed application, letter, and a copy of documents but the email says to bring everything on the day they want you to come in. So do we do both? Who do we send the email too?

Bring in with you, don’t have to email it to them. 

On 3/16/2022 at 10:12 AM, RTOMan said:

Yard//station Posting isn't the same as Schoolcar, i don't consider one on one with a trainer as pins and needles.

Thats how they do it? Ohh that's interesting...

FWIW, I just found my posting sheet from YX which was roughly three years ago. Two weeks posting in the A division, some yard, some switching. One week AMs, one week PMs, one day MID. The yard jobs at Lenox and VC covered the station switching for those locations. E 180th covered Dyre. MID at Mosholu didn't exactly cover doing moves out of Woodlawn...

I can understand Late Clear's perspective, especially if the B division posting is limited and the station switching/relay jobs aren't covered. Mind you, the solution to that, IMHO, is more posting time and more YX time. Yard Enhancement where you go out with the local TSS is helpful as you're with somebody that's in the area on a daily basis, and it's good to here some of the same stuff from a different person, but sometimes it's takes making the move yourself for it to be etched in your mind.

Edited by Keikyu Motorman

6 hours ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

FWIW, I just found my posting sheet from YX which was roughly three years ago. Two weeks posting in the A division, some yard, some switching. One week AMs, one week PMs, one day MID. The yard jobs at Lenox and VC covered the station switching for those locations. E 180th covered Dyre. MID at Mosholu didn't exactly cover doing moves out of Woodlawn...

I can understand Late Clear's perspective, especially if the B division posting is limited and the station switching/relay jobs aren't covered. Mind you, the solution to that, IMHO, is more posting time and more YX time. Yard Enhancement where you go out with the local TSS is helpful as you're with somebody that's in the area on a daily basis, and it's good to here some of the same stuff from a different person, but sometimes it's takes making the move yourself for it to be etched in your mind.

They do the Yard thing still over here its cool i talked to a few folks who really say it helps one on one with a TSS...

On 3/16/2022 at 10:28 PM, Jericho said:

Platform is when you are waiting for Transit to finish investigating your case and you at least still get to work and be paid, but your retirement date gets extended. You will usually be assigned to terminals to open cab doors for the cleaners or get people off trains that are being laid up. You can also work at intermediate stations where you have to let passengers know of service changes.

_____

Never be afraid to ask for a TSS when making a move you are not familiar with. No matter how stupid you think you'll look, it's much worse when you do something you're not suppose to. Certainly ask the dispatcher how you are suppose to do the move or a fellow train operator. Ask the tower where you're suppose to go. Just ask someone. Don't go in blind.

i'm a greenhorn and all i hear is platform is a way to punish. for a whole month.  or more. :( i dunno which stories are true or urban legends 

On 3/17/2022 at 11:14 AM, felixagustinr92 said:

How difficult has the training been 

personally....it's been very stressful and nervewrecking.  but don't take my word for it.  some folks lives off from stress and can handle it well / better than others.  most days it really feels like we're those baby turtles that hatches on the beach and are sprinting to the ocean waves before a seagull makes us their appetizer.  

2 hours ago, trackerjack said:

i'm a greenhorn and all i hear is platform is a way to punish. for a whole month.  or more. :( i dunno which stories are true or urban legends 

It is a form of punishment. Platform will last as long as their investigation which varies. It is a conductor's, not a T/O's job so you stand out. You don't get to operate trains and therefore it doesn't count towards your retirement, and you're stuck standing on the platform eight hours a day. 

Edit: I should note though some people do take it as a break and as a way to earn easy OT if there's open platform jobs they could fill.

2 hours ago, trackerjack said:

personally....it's been very stressful and nervewrecking.  but don't take my word for it.  some folks lives off from stress and can handle it well / better than others.  most days it really feels like we're those baby turtles that hatches on the beach and are sprinting to the ocean waves before a seagull makes us their appetizer.  

You'll be alright.

Edited by Jericho

On 3/16/2022 at 5:51 AM, rondread445 said:

So you can just hand write in the dates and they will accept it? For the signature so they require us to sign in front of them?