ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

1 hour ago, Imhim said:

From my class, none, from my induction group I know of only 2, it was 70 of us, I remember a B/O went back to title, his class told us he just wasn’t feeling the job. Then there was an older gentleman that resigned because he couldn’t study enough and didn’t want to get fired. He just had a newborn his class stated, so you know the dynamics with were difficult. Not sure if he has the option to come back like if he were to defer. Again most of the B division T/Os in my induction made it through and still here, there was one T/O that didn’t make it pass the road practical. 

Oh wow that's really good. One guy dropped out of my class and I've heard of a few others dropping out of other classes from my induction.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FilippoSironi said:

Oh wow that's really good. One guy dropped out of my class and I've heard of a few others dropping out of other classes from my induction.

When did your class start? Sometimes people know the job just isn’t for them. A friend of mine had dropped out of the class on the last list, he was told me, “I know that job just isn’t for me, I’m not gonna waste my time and theirs.” And he said he was content with his decision. 

23 hours ago, Imhim said:

When did your class start? Sometimes people know the job just isn’t for them. A friend of mine had dropped out of the class on the last list, he was told me, “I know that job just isn’t for me, I’m not gonna waste my time and theirs.” And he said he was content with his decision. 

December 27th

On 12/26/2021 at 6:35 PM, Rose said:

So once you get your canvas/appointment ticket do you with a date to come in this is to hand in all paperwork and take the drug test 

How does it take for you to receive your results I took the drug exam but havent receieved anything back they said something about that they didn't get to my list number 

23 hours ago, Imhim said:

Seen a school car class at Bedford Nostrand today, any chance you had a road day today? Good luck, before you know it you’ll be down here like damn time is flying lol

No it wasn't my class. I hope so! How long have you been out of school car and was it hard being xx?

2 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

No it wasn't my class. I hope so! How long have you been out of school car and was it hard being xx?

This year I’m gonna make 4 years as a T/O. Honestly XX wasn’t bad for me, made a lot of money, but I was working my RDOs soon as I came out lol, I honestly felt like we didn’t get enough time on the trains so kill 2 birds one stone, gain experience and money. Now to be fair, I won a job on the A so I would only do A jobs on my RDOs in the beginning  lol…but to each it’s own! It was different when I came out, still short but I don’t think as bad as now and with Covid, so I had my wishlist honored, never had my RDOs or tour changed the whole time. The higher your number the better the chances of that happening. 

Edited by Imhim
Grammar

1 hour ago, Imhim said:

This year I’m gonna make 4 years as a T/O. Honestly XX wasn’t bad for me, made a lot of money, but I was working my RDOs soon as I came out lol, I honestly felt like we didn’t get enough time on the trains so kill 2 birds one stone, gain experience and money. Now to be fair, I won a job on the A so I would only do A jobs on my RDOs in the beginning  lol…but to each it’s own! It was different when I came out, still short but I don’t think as bad as now and with Covid, so I had my wishlist honored, never had my RDOs or tour changed the whole time. The higher your number the better the chances of that happening. 

can you please explain to us, or give us tips, about "bids"?  can we "bid" when we're Road Extras?  I don't even know what a bid is honestly :( 
I know we can't choose a "pick" until 2 years or even 7 years right?  Any links or resources that teaches us about things like Picks / Bids / Penalties / WAA etc?  in your opinion is it best to pick even the worst pick vs continue being a road XX?   I'm really lost and the TSS hasn't really taught us anything about work related things in depth.  

also i am very concerned and already sad that we cadets won't be able able to have a stable locked schedule until a few LONG years being extra extras :( 

9 hours ago, trackerjack said:

can you please explain to us, or give us tips, about "bids"?  can we "bid" when we're Road Extras?  I don't even know what a bid is honestly :( 
I know we can't choose a "pick" until 2 years or even 7 years right?  Any links or resources that teaches us about things like Picks / Bids / Penalties / WAA etc?  in your opinion is it best to pick even the worst pick vs continue being a road XX?   I'm really lost and the TSS hasn't really taught us anything about work related things in depth.  

also i am very concerned and already sad that we cadets won't be able able to have a stable locked schedule until a few LONG years being extra extras :( 

FWIW, don't worry about bids, picks, or any of that stuff until you're ready to go to the road and you have the job locked down. Just focus on passing your tests and practicals. :-)

Honestly, your TSS is probably holding off on that stuff, especially if you're still early in the class because it's more important to focus on the basics. So signals, yard work, and the critical rules of the system. The rest of that stuff is just stuff you'll learn later, but it's necessary to doing your job.

With that said, the length of time that you'll sit on XX is honestly going to depend on how many jobs are available. So if lots of people retire, you'll be able to pick sooner rather than later. Mentally, be prepared for at least three to five years minimum until you can pick. I've been "out" for 2.5 years, and my class is roughly 40 spots out from picking in the A division. As for bids, once you're on the road, you'll be able to bid for jobs once the bids are available. With relatively low seniority, you should bid for *anything* that looks remotely interesting even if they're in the temporary vacancy category. And once you're able to pick, there's no ability to say "I want to stay XX" even if you don't like the jobs that are available. 

Penalty jobs are jobs with overtime built into them. WAA is Work As Assigned. Depending on the needs of the dispatcher or the job, you can end up sitting around doing nothing, doing a layup or put in, waiting for somebody to bring a train to you, or you could be pushed out early. 

Edited by Keikyu Motorman

Damn I was looking forward to seeing my results I was suppose to be in the Feb 14th class and was told my list number didnt come up yet but at first thought i failed then was assuming i passed because i hadn't recieved any negative results  although i should have notting to worry about but was worried because the lady's that room my urine had told me i would hear back in a week or so 

13 minutes ago, felixagustinr92 said:

Damn I was looking forward to seeing my results I was suppose to be in the Feb 14th class and was told my list number didnt come up yet but at first thought i failed then was assuming i passed because i hadn't recieved any negative results  although i should have notting to worry about but was worried because the lady's that room my urine had told me i would hear back in a week or so 

You don't get a result from them. Your result is the invitation to the medical portion of pre-employment (provided you did not fail the drug test) as long as your list number is low enough to be placed in the x amount of people they can hire for the next class. If your list number is not low enough, then you won't hear from them until they get to your number. 

31 minutes ago, TraDon said:

You don't get a result from them. Your result is the invitation to the medical portion of pre-employment (provided you did not fail the drug test) as long as your list number is low enough to be placed in the x amount of people they can hire for the next class. If your list number is not low enough, then you won't hear from them until they get to your number. 

Thank you and that makes sense so I guess I will just have to wait 

17 hours ago, trackerjack said:

Adding a bit to what Keikyu said. Even when you finally do get a chance to pick, the jobs and RDOs may actually choose you as you get the scraps of what's left. Which is why bidding on a job may be the best thing you can do for the years to come even when you do get to pick.

A vacancy bid happens after the pick starts and is a list of jobs vacated by people who retired, promoted, quit, or temporarily out on worker's comp, leave of absence, etc. If you want something more stable, bidding on a job is the way to do it. I myself have won three temporary jobs during my time. After having my current job for a month, I'm about to go back to XX as the original train operator is returning from worker's comp.

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Adding a bit to what Keikyu said. Even when you finally do get a chance to pick, the jobs and RDOs may actually choose you as you get the scraps of what's left. Which is why bidding on a job may be the best thing you can do for the years to come even when you do get to pick.

A vacancy bid happens after the pick starts and is a list of jobs vacated by people who retired, promoted, quit, or temporarily out on worker's comp, leave of absence, etc. If you want something more stable, bidding on a job is the way to do it. I myself have won three temporary jobs during my time. After having my current job for a month, I'm about to go back to XX as the original train operator is returning from worker's comp.

I won a bid and the person came back before i worked it a single day 😂.

I start another this weekend and I've heard through the grapevine this person won't be coming back for a while 🤞

Edited by beanz

20 hours ago, trackerjack said:

I’ll piggyback off of what the other poster said, honestly right now the TSS isn’t going to explain those things as there are other more important things in your curriculum! I remember we had a day when they did explain all of that to us, showed us how to read the daily sheets, showed us how to use the IVR and a whole bunch of other administrative stuff! You’ll get there just be patient! 

5 hours ago, Jericho said:

thanks everyone for inputing the knowledge on me, much appreciated~

wow it seems that winning bids are quite probable!

- how often can you 'bid' for a vacated pick? is it once a month or only once every 3 months? etc
- if you win a bid, then gets forced to go back to XX, do you have to wait until the next "bidding war" begins again?

thanks again everyone

2 minutes ago, trackerjack said:

thanks everyone for inputing the knowledge on me, much appreciated~

wow it seems that winning bids are quite probable!

- how often can you 'bid' for a vacated pick? is it once a month or only once every 3 months? etc
- if you win a bid, then gets forced to go back to XX, do you have to wait until the next "bidding war" begins again?

thanks again everyone

There are 2 bids per pick. A pick usually lasts around 6 months. If u get forced to xx after the 1st bid, u can still bid again which is what happened to me. After the 2nd bid, however, there is no 3rd. So if at that point u get forced back by a returning TO, u have to stay XX until the next pick.