Do we really need New Technology Trains?

Eastman346

Do we the riding public really need new tech trains. Are these $1,000,000 plus a car trains really needed during these hard times? I'm talking about way before the financial crisis of today. With the MTA in a cash strapped situation I think we could have gotten by without them. Maybe they could have bought cars without all the fancy electronics and technology.

Don't get me wrong, I like them but I think the MTA can't afford them. Or can they?

No i don't think the pubic needs NTT, daily riders still get lost and don't know where they are going WITH the NTT. Most people don't even hear the automated aconncements becuause their too busy listening to their Ipod. So i don't think the NTT are helping riders get lost less often. The MTA should have bought an R62/R68 type of car to replace the vintage R32-R42 fleet, they would have saved some money.

Well it's really the 21st century, and I don't think that they're really needed badly, but the (MTA) is keeping up with the standards, and the older trains have to get replaced. But anyways it's nice to see a new train coming up in a station, instead of and old one, of course.

Look at other rail companies, even if there is some that are going through financial problems, they still have to buy more trains to replace the old fleet, and technology all goes with it... :D

Think about the disabled people... who need all this!!

We cant just say tech is not needed, tech is an important factor into days life, making life easier..

Like remember the days where we wanted to communicate with sum1? no internet, we needed to use a Damn Postal Mail, and no Electronic-Mail Changed it...

Remember when we only had radios for entertainment? Now we got TV to enhance everything entertainment...

We NEED technology, think about the people with ADA, how people are death and cant hear the announcements, they have a Screen on the top of every NTT car, people who are blind who relly on crystal clear auto announcements , now Thats NTT

yes there are bugs to fix, Mta needs to hire more computer specialize to fix these bugs....

So I think NT and NTT is the way to go!!

NYCTA has one of the oldest metro/subway fleets in the world vs how old the system is. Some of the cars (R32, R40) are approaching physical EOL limitations and would be unwise to operate them for more than another 3 years.

Some people think we don't need stuff that is basically bland and/or boring, when most other transit systems actually have a more homogenized fleet. You think LIRR or MNRR is boring? (SEPTA) has 4 regional rail car types, 2 push pull and 2 EMU. One of the EMU types is as old as anything NYCTA has and reaches back to the pennsylvania railroad era. (SEPTA) is ordering new EMU to replace the older ones, and possibly to expand their fleet of rolling stock.

Transit agencies don't sit behind closed doors trying to think up how to make things boring. They decide what is the best thing to do to have a safe and properly working fleet of vehicles for their various services. Sometimes they mess up, but usually they make pretty decent choices. I personally have very mixed feelings on the NTT stuff that not only NYCTA is doing but also the other transit agencies i interact with. I love how quiet, and comfy the stuff is, but at the same time i do get nostalgic about R40, comet 2, and so on. :D

- A

If you got the money to do it... do it!

If you don't have the money... cut corners but bring best quality hardware for the job.

If money is that tight... let us, the general public know, so that we can better understand the improvements that are being made.

My stand on the NTT is they are needed if they can be paid for. The base order of R160 was paid for in 2002, and Option I was taken in 2007 when finances were good. Option II won't be taken until 2010 due to the financial problems. I think everyone can agree with me on this one, though - THESE TRAINS NEED TO BE AMERICAN-MADE! The trains currently being retired lasted this long becausethey were american-built. Just look at the R142/A and the ocndition they're in and it's barely been 10 years. This is also partly the (MTA)'s fault but still. Also, the glitches need to be completely worked out, especially on the R160. On the R142/A you occasionally see technological glitches thouh that's pretty rare. They are an improvement (especially in the riding quality and thigns of that nature) but they need to be built with quality.

Sorry to burst ya'll bubbles, we're in the 21st century. Technology is on a rapid pace, we got bluetooth for phones and touchscreen phones. To get back on topic in the next 5-20 years to we not going to have R-32's, 42's, 62's or 68's. So we are going to have R-160A-1's, R-160B's or R-179's on all or most lines. So pls shallow your prides and try to get used to new technology trains, buses, planes or w/e vehicles. I'm trying to use to the Orion VII's and I can't stand those buses....not going off topic!

Do we the riding public really need new tech trains. Are these $1,000,000 plus a car trains really needed during these hard times? I'm talking about way before the financial crisis of today. With the MTA in a cash strapped situation I think we could have gotten by without them. Maybe they could have bought cars without all the fancy electronics and technology.

Don't get me wrong, I like them but I think the MTA can't afford them. Or can they?

YES! They're very much needed.

Doesn't matter if they are or not cause MTA will still buy them. They have been training us in the subway simulator (R160) due to the fact the R188 will be identical, but the size of the R142. I had mentioned this a couple months ago, but they told us it again, while we took our signals test last week........

If it were up to the TA, they would only have one class of car for each division. This way a Car Inspector or an Air Brake Maintainer couldn't say that they aren't qualified to fix a particular type of train or any other similar excuses. Everyone would be qualified on the R300 and the TA would only have to order, or create in-house, parts for one specific type of train.

Not only that, but the NTT's can all be equipped for ATO and CBTC and they weigh less, which means that they can go at faster speeds without compromising the integrity of the existing wayside signal system.

Archived