Enhanced Station Initiative

31 minutes ago, Lance said:

It's practically the same thing at 53 Street.

image.png.a1e916223a40617553228ffddcbd73e0.png

Courtesy: MTA NYC Transit

If I'm not mistaken, all of the ESI stations will feature these half-height emergency gates/fare partitions. The idea is that they'll make the stations feel less enclosed and caged in compared to their previous design. It remains to be determined if they'll stick around though.

lol Well for an agency that is constantly crying poverty, it makes no sense to make farebeating easier.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

lol Well for an agency that is constantly crying poverty, it makes no sense to make farebeating easier.

I mean, they found out that the high gate turnstiles were actually not effective and people would go out of their way to not use them, so I don't blame em.

3 hours ago, CDTA said:

I don't think it's making it any easier, I mean it is still taller than the turnstiles.

Some of the ones that jump the turnstiles seem to be pretty athletic like the subway dancers. I’m sure it’ll pose no problem to them. The ones that get caught and held up by the cops in the mezzanine though, are usually the less-fit fat women who take their time to get over the turnstile.

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

Some of the ones that jump the turnstiles seem to be pretty athletic like the subway dancers. I’m sure it’ll pose no problem to them. The ones that get caught and held up by the cops in the mezzanine though, are usually the less-fit fat women who take their time to get over the turnstile.

When push comes to shove and the stupid turnstile can't read my unlimited express bus Metrocard, I have just stepped right over or hopped over, so it's not that complicated at all.

6 hours ago, CenSin said:

Yeah, but why jump over the taller thing when you could jump over the shorter thing?

2 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Yeah, but why jump over the taller thing when you could jump over the shorter thing?

I don’t know if it is one of the stations that close their turnstiles for the nights and direct passengers to use the HEETs. If this is a common feature in all renovated stations in the future, those that close down their turnstiles might see people jumping the barrier at night instead.

11 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

When push comes to shove and the stupid turnstile can't read my unlimited express bus Metrocard, I have just stepped right over or hopped over, so it's not that complicated at all.

Exactly, evading fare is so damn easy, and it’s the hardest in NYC. Take a vacation to a city like Toronto, where gates are left open and they have ten feet wide openings with ticket “choppers” that occasionally roam to the back without issue. 

In New York, I’d say the most famous case of fare evasion is when you report yourself. I always see people (typically older) go to the station agent complaining about why their expired insufficient metro card isn’t working, and the agent, seeing a growing line, waves them through the special entry to stop the complaining. 

On 10/14/2017 at 2:06 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Part of that was because they were so noisy. More people use them now that they modified that. 

It's worth noting that the full body turnstiles can still be thwarted by two skinny people cramming through. Vegan Hipsters do it all the time.

Also, some emergency exit doors can be jimmied open with a sunroof rod. I've noticed some small padlocks hanging in some grates that can be used to do this.

I'm choosing not to report it because it's the job of employees to cover their own arses, and because even in the eyes of Rider's Alliance, I talk too much.

So I won't. ):-}

Edited by MassTransitHonchkrow
spelling error, grammar buttressing [arse] is the Eire variant of the a-word and not misspelled.

8 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

It's worth noting that the full body turnstiles can still be thwarted by two skinny people cramming through. Vegan Hipsters do it all the time.

Also, some emergency exit doors can be jimmied open with a sunroof rod. I've noticed some small padlocks hanging in some grates that can be used to do this.

I'm choosing not to report it because it's the job of employees to cover their own arses, and because even in the eyes of Rider's Alliance, I talk too much.

So I won't. ):-}

That's because you sound like a busybody looking for trouble. Who the hell looks at a door and goes, 'Hmm, I could pick that with a sunroof rod?'

10 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

That's because you sound like a busybody looking for trouble. Who the hell looks at a door and goes, 'Hmm, I could pick that with a sunroof rod?'

I do. It’s called being an observant, thinking person.

That aside, knowledge doesn’t necessarily have to be acted upon. I can ponder about electronic infrastructure and come up with ways to break in, but I don’t necessarily have to act on it.

33 minutes ago, CenSin said:

That aside, knowledge doesn’t necessarily have to be acted upon. I can ponder about electronic infrastructure and come up with ways to break in, but I don’t necessarily have to act on it.

Sound's like  the mind of a Hacker.. Could use that type of thinking during some Q/A processes.

Edited by RailRunRob

2 hours ago, CenSin said:

It's a bit different with electronic infrastructure, because electronic infrastructure is always being probed and tested for faults, and everyone uses the same types of locks, so it's a service that you're doing.

With physical infrastructure, that is not necessarily true. Replace the subway door with 'my neighbor's door'. I'm not looking into ways to white hat break into my neighbor's house.

Also, this ignores the fact that physical locks are not actually meant to keep things secure by being unpickable, but by deterring people not willing to put the required effort in. There's no such thing as an unpickable lock, and honestly, the MTA probably could not afford the cost of re-fitting locks on every single secured door. The bill alone for my apartment in university was $150, and that was for five doors; I'm sure there are quite a lot of doors in the system.

16 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Careful - This isn't about me. Don't have a :bus_bullet_b35:-like temper on me now.

Besides, I don't need to look for trouble, as it usually finds me. Two timelines could exist where I am and am not a busybody and this city will still be f***ed.

DNA.info reports: Astoria N/W Stations

Article show's rendering's of what the elevated station's will look like after the ESI renovation work.

Also, saw a rendering on some of the station platforms scheduled to be worked on with a photo of an R211 (N) train as well.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20171020/astoria/astoria-nw-subway-station-renovations-enhanced-station-initiative-no-elevators

Edited by jon2305

1 hour ago, jon2305 said:

DNA.info reports: Astoria N/W Stations

Article show's rendering's of what the elevated station's will look like after the ESI renovation work.

Also, saw a rendering on some of the station platforms scheduled to be worked on with a photo of an R211 (N) train as well.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20171020/astoria/astoria-nw-subway-station-renovations-enhanced-station-initiative-no-elevators

I've spent a good amount of time looking for the actual community board meeting presentation, and have been unable to find it. Where are they located?

Edited by P3F

3 hours ago, P3F said:

I've spent a good amount of time looking for the actual community board meeting presentation, and have been unable to find it. Where are they located?

At the station's set to be renovated, 30 Av and 36 Av on the platforms and mezzanines.

10_zpsa4n0aace.jpg

• 2 weeks later...