Enhanced Station Initiative

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fourth stage of the ESI program begins in earnest with the closures of 57 Street and 23 Street on 6th Avenue, along with 28 Street on Lexington Ave starting this July.

MTA New York City Transit announced that three stations in Manhattan will undergo intensive repair and improvement work beginning on three dates in July. The repairs will fix structural defects and deterioration, and include functional station improvements that will benefit more than 70,000 customers who use the 57 St (F), 28 St (6) and 23 St (F) stations.

All three stations are in various states of disrepair that include crumbling concrete and deteriorated structural steel columns and beams, cracked or missing tiles, water leaks, and deficient lighting. Due to the extent of the repairs, demolitions and removal of construction waste, and to facilitate a faster construction schedule, the three stations will be closed to service, however the full closures mean that workers can complete the work more quickly; the stations will be closed for less than six months.

Read more: Source

Also, phase two of the second stage will begin next month with the closures of Broadway and 39 Avenue on the Astoria line.

MTA New York City Transit announced that extensive structural, safety and functional repairs, renovations and improvements will be done at the Broadway and 39 Av (N)(W) stations in Astoria, with the work scheduled to begin on Monday, July 2.  Workers will repair and replace deteriorating station infrastructure such as steel beams and columns, staircases, platforms, open-air canopies and concrete, among other improvements, to ensure the safety, comfort and convenience of customers as well as the reliability of the Astoria Line.

Edited by Lance

1 hour ago, Lance said:

The fourth stage of the ESI program begins in earnest with the closures of 57 Street and 23 Street on 6th Avenue, along with 28 Street on Lexington Ave starting this July.

Also, phase two of the second stage will begin next month with the closures of Broadway and 39 Avenue on the Astoria line.

A) so, after the fourth stage, there's no more ESI?

B) when does 30 Av and 36 Av (N)(W) reopen?

The fifth and final stage of the modified ESI program will renovate stations at 145 Street on Lenox Ave, along with 167 Street and 174-175 Streets on the Concourse line. All other stations listed in the original plan have been deferred to the next five year capital plan. I wish they swapped out the Concourse stations for the lower Pelham ones as the latter need the work done more so than the former.

Edited by Lance

5 minutes ago, Lance said:

The fifth and final stage of the modified ESI program will renovate stations at 145 Street on Lenox Ave, along with 167 Street and 174-175 Streets on the Concourse line. All other stations listed in the original plan have been deferred to the next five year capital plan. I wish they swapped out the Concourse stations for the lower Pelham ones as the latter need the work done more so than the former.

The Concourse stations are just disgusting and depressing and the ones along the lower Pelham line look like they haven't been touched in forever.  I've actually never used them (the lower Pelham stations), but I've seen them in photos.  Thank God for the express bus in those areas.  lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 6/20/2018 at 5:50 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The Concourse stations are just disgusting and depressing and the ones along the lower Pelham line look like they haven't been touched in forever.  I've actually never used them (the lower Pelham stations), but I've seen them in photos.  Thank God for the express bus in those areas.  lol

I seriously want to know, who was the Genius that scrapped Pelham Parkway on the (5) , it is disgusting to even be inside that Station tbh. Whenever I am there, I try to hold my breath as much as possible.

1 hour ago, WestFarms36 said:

I seriously want to know, who was the Genius that scrapped Pelham Parkway on the (5) , it is disgusting to even be inside that Station tbh. Whenever I am there, I try to hold my breath as much as possible.

Those stations also are in weird, isolated locations.  Usually you have subway stations by commercial areas. The stops on the (5) (Dyre Avenue) are mainly in quiet residential areas away from the main corridors making them a pain to reach. A few exceptions like the Gun Hill Station exist. If you have to drive to a subway stop there's a problem.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Tis the problems with recapturing a former railroad line that was never really intended to be used as a subway line.

Is this why they refuse to run adequate service on weekends on the Dyre Avenue line?  I've been trying to wrap my head around how long that segment of the (5) line has been out on weekends for years now.  Why is the work that they're doing taking so long and when will they be finished? It's only 4 or 5 stations tops.  

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Is this why they refuse to run adequate service on weekends on the Dyre Avenue line?  I've been trying to wrap my head around how long that segment of the (5) line has been out on weekends for years now.  Why is the work that they're doing taking so long and when will they be finished? It's only 4 or 5 stations tops.  

I think the signal and track replacement were the main culprits.

3 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

I think it's taking far too long, and they've been able to get away with it too because people just drive.  Granted the BxM10 runs a bit longer as a result but it's really not adequate to be honest.  They're stingy with service on weekends.  They could at least run a few more buses so you get a bus every 30 minutes.  There's a lot of people in those areas that simply don't travel via subway on weekends or don't go to Manhattan because of that.  This is a case where it seems to be make more sense to shut down stations one at a time up there, get the work done and get it over with rather than going on years and years every weekend with no subway service.  It's a very long commute from up there too.  Any time I've tutored up there and miss the express bus, I just tell the parent I'll be on the next bus. No way am I going through all of that shuttle bus nonsense.  

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I think it's taking far too long, and they've been able to get away with it too because people just drive.  Granted the BxM10 runs a bit longer as a result but it's really not adequate to be honest.  They're stingy with service on weekends.  They could at least run a few more buses so you get a bus every 30 minutes.  There's a lot of people in those areas that simply don't travel via subway on weekends or don't go to Manhattan because of that.  This is a case where it seems to be make more sense to shut down stations one at a time up there, get the work done and get it over with rather than going on years and years every weekend with no subway service.  It's a very long commute from up there too.  Any time I've tutored up there and miss the express bus, I just tell the parent I'll be on the next bus. No way am I going through all of that shuttle bus nonsense.  

Agreed that it shouldn’t have taken as long as it did. To add to your point, people aren’t very vocal about either losing subway service every weekend or not having enough.

Just now, S78 via Hylan said:

Agreed that it shouldn’t have taken as long as it did. To add to your point, people aren’t very vocal about either losing subway service every weekend or not having enough.

No they aren't. It actually infuriates me as a commuter when I see neighborhoods being taken advantage of like this because transportation is a very important economic tool.  The more people are able to access your neighborhood, the more viable and healthy it is from an economic standpoint.  You can have people come from outside of the neighborhood to shop at the local businesses and bring money to the area that otherwise wouldn't come in.  I had a colleague that lived in Morris Park.  We'd go up there for BBQs and so on.  We'd always have just the BxM10 up there on weekends and then he'd pick us up from a stop along Morris Park Avenue and drive us to the house.  Ridiculous.  The Dyre Avenue line is within walking distance to where his house was at the time.  You'd think he lived out in the boonies somewhere.  

40 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Seeing how the Dyre Avenue Corridor is very low ridership, it's still no excuse to take forever with the work that is planned. And this applies for every subway line, regardless of ridership levels. Work should be on time and on budget! 

6 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

Seeing how the Dyre Avenue Corridor is very low ridership, it's still no excuse to take forever with the work that is planned. And this applies for every subway line, regardless of ridership levels. Work should be on time and on budget! 

That's precisely part of the reason why it has low ridership because people use the line as if it were a commuter train. Outside of the rush, people either don't travel, or they drive, or they stay within the community, so they are limited in terms of where they can if they don't drive.  Obviously they aren't technically limited, but they feel as though they are. There was a teenager who I tutored up there. His routine was to take the line during the week only because he went to school in Manhattan.  However, weekends, going to the City was basically out of the question.  No subway service, so if he did go out, it would be within the neighborhood, so these sorts of things psychologically limit people on where they go.  Never a good thing in my book.  People feel as if they have limited transportation and so they don't go out and explore the City and thus there looks like there's no demand, so the (MTA) continues taking their sweet time with finishing the work, and thus you have this ongoing cycle lasting for years.

1 hour ago, S78 via Hylan said:

It was. Compared to last year when Dyre Ave was out of service three out of every four weekends in the month, this year, there have only been seven weekends the line has been out of service total.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's precisely part of the reason why it has low ridership because people use the line as if it were a commuter train. Outside of the rush, people either don't travel, or they drive, or they stay within the community, so they are limited in terms of where they can if they don't drive.  Obviously they aren't technically limited, but they feel as though they are. There was a teenager who I tutored up there. His routine was to take the line during the week only because he went to school in Manhattan.  However, weekends, going to the City was basically out of the question.  No subway service, so if he did go out, it would be within the neighborhood, so these sorts of things psychologically limit people on where they go.  Never a good thing in my book.  People feel as if they have limited transportation and so they don't go out and explore the City and thus there looks like there's no demand, so the (MTA) continues taking their sweet time with finishing the work, and thus you have this ongoing cycle lasting for years.

I live in the area, No one really advocates for better service. This causes (MTA) to take advantage of these Silent Neighborhoods, and literally shut down the crap outta the Dyre Avenue line. Not only does this happen with trains, but Buses too. Bx21 bus service is deplorable as it is and the bus is full to the brim. Service is infrequent and unreliable. Bx21 should have been chosen to be articulated. The East 180 St Bus Stop almost always has a block long line of people waiting, with buses crushloaded in both directions during any time of day. No one in Morris Park advocates for service.

Just now, WestFarms36 said:

I live in the area, No one really advocates for better service. This causes (MTA) to take advantage of these Silent Neighborhoods, and literally shut down the crap outta the Dyre Avenue line. Not only does this happen with trains, but Buses too. Bx21 bus service is deplorable as it is and the bus is full to the brim. Service is infrequent and unreliable. Bx21 should have been chosen to be articulated. The East 180 St Bus Stop almost always has a block long line of people waiting, with buses crushloaded in both directions during any time of day. No one in Morris Park advocates for service.

The Morris Park people aren't going to because they're going to use the express bus for the most part, so they don't care.  They feel that it's safer than taking the subway and in some cases, some of the areas that the (2)(5) run through are some of the worst in the Bronx and I've seen the types of characters riding first hand, so I certainly understand.  That said, it's not Morris Park that's really suffering. It's the areas further north where people can't afford the express bus or simply don't have one in the first place even if they could, so it's the (5) train or nothing.  Those areas are far out and isolated as it is.

There was a female poster on here that wrote a paper about this very topic... How transportation affects neighborhoods.  She picked parts of the Northeast Bronx like Edenwald and compared it to Riverdale.  It's a very good read and not terribly long. It was what she wrote her thesis on.  You should read it.  

Here's the link below:

http://www.academia.edu/3251846/True_North_Transportation_Issues_in_Riverdale_and_the_Edenwald_Houses

On 6/5/2018 at 8:38 PM, N6 Limited said:

Are they going to reopen the northern part of the Mezzanine in 163rd Street (C)

They actually dug up the staircase at the corner of 163rd Street and St. Nicholas Ave, so it's possible. It even has the construction shed that the other station entrances at 163rd have. Fingers crossed.

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The Morris Park people aren't going to because they're going to use the express bus for the most part, so they don't care.  They feel that it's safer than taking the subway and in some cases, some of the areas that the (2)(5) run through are some of the worst in the Bronx and I've seen the types of characters riding first hand, so I certainly understand.  That said, it's not Morris Park that's really suffering. It's the areas further north where people can't afford the express bus or simply don't have one in the first place even if they could, so it's the (5) train or nothing.  Those areas are far out and isolated as it is.

There was a female poster on here that wrote a paper about this very topic... How transportation affects neighborhoods.  She picked parts of the Northeast Bronx like Edenwald and compared it to Riverdale.  It's a very good read and not terribly long. It was what she wrote her thesis on.  You should read it.  

Here's the link below:

http://www.academia.edu/3251846/True_North_Transportation_Issues_in_Riverdale_and_the_Edenwald_Houses

The paper is really good and surely describes the situation and demographics accurately. I like how she mentions the role that transportation plays, and why its necessary.

3 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

The paper is really good and surely describes the situation and demographics accurately. I like how she mentions the role that transportation plays, and why its necessary.

That said, regarding ESI, I'm looking forward to the reopening of the 72nd street station. That was one run-down station...

On 6/20/2018 at 5:45 PM, Lance said:

Will 145th be opened up to handle 10 cars?