De Blasio’s Five-Point Plan Aims to Reduce Traffic Congestion

Via Garibaldi 8

De Blasio’s Five-Point Plan Aims to Reduce Traffic Congestion

By SARAH MASLIN NIROCT. 22, 2017

23TRAFFIC2-superJumbo.jpg

Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a news conference on Sunday: “There are four words to live by. ‘Don’t block the box!’” CreditDavid Dee Delgado for The New York Times

Half a dozen cars blocked the intersection at 57th Street and Third Avenue in Manhattan on Sunday afternoon at every change of the light, snarling traffic headed uptown. Drivers expressed their emotions in symphonic honks.

“New Yorkers hate it when someone blocks the box and messes up their life,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a street corner news conference a few blocks from the tangled intersection, where he announced a citywide plan to reduce congestion. “And the obscene gestures don’t work.”

The five-point plan includes a pilot test of banning deliveries during the morning and evening rush in certain clotted areas, like Midtown Manhattan, where traffic has slowed 23 percent in the last decade, according to the New York City Transportation Department. Today, vehicles there crawl along at a little more than five miles per hour on average. More than 150 police officers will be hired to hand out tickets and enforce the rules, the mayor said, and scores more traffic agents will be deployed.

“There are four words to live by,” Mr. de Blasio, a Democrat, said on Sunday. “Don’t block the box!”

The new measures will start in January. Barring rush-hour deliveries will be tested for six months, the mayor said, to study the program’s effectiveness. The ban will also be tested in certain often-jammed thoroughfares in Brooklyn and Queens, like Flatbush and Roosevelt Avenues.

The plan will also address highway traffic, where state and local transportation agencies will collaborate to ease congestion on the Cross Bronx and Staten Island Expressways, the mayor said, by testing measures like placing traffic lights at exits and emergency vehicles along the route to swiftly deal with crashes. New traffic management plans will be deployed for Hunts Point in the Bronx and on Staten Island’s North Shore.

Mr. de Blasio has pushed back on congestion pricing, or charging drivers a fee to pass through the busiest corridors of the city, an idea championed by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, a Democrat. The program, in play in other cities, like London, would be an unfair burden for low-income New Yorkers, Mr. de Blasio said.

Five years ago, the average speed in Midtown was 6.5 m.p.h., Polly Trottenberg, the city’s transportation commissioner, said. Today, the average is 4.7 miles an hour. The goal is to improve travel speeds across the city by 10 percent by next year, she said.

“New York City is the worst place to drive in the country,” said Alec Slatky, a spokesman for the AAA, at the news conference. The new measures — in particular, the promise of stronger enforcement and more police officers dealing with traffic — could be a deterrent to scofflaws and could get motorists moving, he said.

He turned to the mayor and said, “Write as many summonses as you want!”

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/22/nyregion/de-blasio-five-point-plan-traffic-congestion.html

---

I put this in the bus thread because the big issue is here is delivery trucks and them clogging up major streets where buses run.  Businesses are already up in arms over this, but I think it's a step in the right direction.  Buses usually have to meander through double and triple parked trucks in the morning rush and this plan aims to reduce such congestion during peak periods.  It'll be implemented starting in January 2018.

The idea is good. However, the mayor also failed to mention about mid-day construction. That also needs to stop during the day and that should be done at night and on weekends. When you travel down Flatbush Ave during mid-day hours it's a crazy bottleneck from Grand Army Plaza to Downtown and vice versa due to Construction on 6th Avenue and Bergen Street. 

All I'm saying is if you want traffic to move effectively within the forementioned sections of the city the speed limit needs to increased. Traffic lights needs to be synchronized, and stop with the construction during the daytime hours. You go to other cities and construction begins right after rush hour. Even New Jersey and Connecticut have late night construction. It's needs to be implemented here. 

18 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

The idea is good. However, the mayor also failed to mention about mid-day construction. That also needs to stop during the day and that should be done at night and on weekends. When you travel down Flatbush Ave during mid-day hours it's a crazy bottleneck from Grand Army Plaza to Downtown and vice versa due to Construction on 6th Avenue and Bergen Street. 

All I'm saying is if you want traffic to move effectively within the forementioned sections of the city the speed limit needs to increased. Traffic lights needs to be synchronized, and stop with the construction during the daytime hours. You go to other cities and construction begins right after rush hour. Even New Jersey and Connecticut have late night construction. It's needs to be implemented here. 

You can't do that during the night and on weekends.  People need to sleep at night and want their weekends free to relax at home, so that can't change.  What can change however and should change is parking in general.  These delivery trucks park for HOURS sometimes double parked or hog up the few parking spots that remain, and we either need more metered parking in certain areas or time limits on how long delivery trucks can remain double parked.  What I also fear is having these trucks double parked on side streets causing congestion there.  Ultimately we need more deliveries to be made overnight when traffic is lighter, and the city has said that it will provide assistance to do just that, along with more enforcement.  

I'm familiar with 57th Street and in my opinion, all the congestion in that corridor is caused either by construction in the area, high amount of tourists looking around, and that no left turn rule in effect between 5th and 8th Avenues. The M31 and M57 aren't really frequent enough for bus lanes, they just get caught up in the midtown traffic and then bunch up by crazy. I know because I've ridden both routes from  7th Ave to 11th and have gotten fed up with both routes getting traffic and crawling like a snails pace. It's much easier to just walk over to the west side than rely on those buses from the subway.

I'm not sure if overnight deliveries are feasible. That would require the delivery truck to arrive at the destination either at 4 in the morning, or 10 at night depending on when business want their deliveries. I'm not sure if businesses and truck drivers would commit to those hours.

6 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

I'm familiar with 57th Street and in my opinion, all the congestion in that corridor is caused either by construction in the area, high amount of tourists looking around, and that no left turn rule in effect between 5th and 8th Avenues. The M31 and M57 aren't really frequent enough for bus lanes, they just get caught up in the midtown traffic and then bunch up by crazy. I know because I've ridden both routes from  7th Ave to 11th and have gotten fed up with both routes getting traffic and crawling like a snails pace. It's much easier to just walk over to the west side than rely on those buses from the subway.

I'm not sure if overnight deliveries are feasible. That would require the delivery truck to arrive at the destination either at 4 in the morning, or 10 at night depending on when business want their deliveries. I'm not sure if businesses and truck drivers would commit to those hours.

They may not be feasible for some small businesses that naturally close at night, but the fact of the matter is we don't have space for all of these trucks that sit for HOURS clogging up traffic all day. It's unsustainable.  I sit and watch Fresh Direct trucks hog up parking spots all day along Lexington Avenue and other areas which means no other trucks or cars can park there.   There's also the UPS and FedEx trucks that double park for long periods of time blocking traffic lanes. That has to change.  They want to make huge profits delivering toiletries and other goods to people ordering online and that's fine, but they also need to be paying for the amount of parking spaces they are hogging up on a regular basis. 

The city can step in and help small businesses in particular which tend to want deliveries in the morning during peak periods by either offering tax breaks or some sort of incentive to have them hire staff or allow for the truck companies to have access to make the deliveries a few hours earlier before the businesses are set to open. There are already several businesses that do this overnight.  The deliveries are much faster because the trucks can pull into a space, park, make the delivery and keep moving since there is far less traffic overnight.

We also have to examine the impact of all of these Ubers, Lyfts and the like. They are not being regulated, and their numbers have swelled considerably in the last few years.  We have too many of these blocking traffic stopping in odd places and not knowing where they are going.  

Delivery drivers are not the problems it’s cars parked in no parking zones with NYPD placards on there dashboards.  DOT added bus lanes on Jamaica ave in queens 3-4yrs ago and they have never been utilized because of cars parked there with NYPD placards on their dashboard. 

6 minutes ago, Rafa said:

Delivery drivers are not the problems it’s cars parked in no parking zones with NYPD placards on there dashboards.  DOT added bus lanes on Jamaica ave in queens 3-4yrs ago and they have never been utilized because of cars parked there with NYPD placards on their dashboard. 

Or rather delivery drivers just aren't the problem where you drive, but they are a BIG problem in numerous other parts of the city and they have to be targeted.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They may not be feasible for some small businesses that naturally close at night, but the fact of the matter is we don't have space for all of these trucks that sit for HOURS clogging up traffic all day. It's unsustainable.  I sit and watch Fresh Direct trucks hog up parking spots all day along Lexington Avenue and other areas which means no other trucks or cars can park there.   There's also the UPS and FedEx trucks that double park for long periods of time blocking traffic lanes. That has to change.  They want to make huge profits delivering toiletries and other goods to people ordering online and that's fine, but they also need to be paying for the amount of parking spaces they are hogging up on a regular basis. 

The city can step in and help small businesses in particular which tend to want deliveries in the morning during peak periods by either offering tax breaks or some sort of incentive to have them hire staff or allow for the truck companies to have access to make the deliveries a few hours earlier before the businesses are set to open. There are already several businesses that do this overnight.  The deliveries are much faster because the trucks can pull into a space, park, make the delivery and keep moving since there is far less traffic overnight.

We also have to examine the impact of all of these Ubers, Lyfts and the like. They are not being regulated, and their numbers have swelled considerably in the last few years.  We have too many of these blocking traffic stopping in odd places and not knowing where they are going.  

More and more people are relying on Uber to get to work on time because they're fed up with the constant delays on the subways, especially on the Sixth Avenue lines where if something bad happens Central Park West, or in Downtown Brooklyn, every single route is effected except for the (F) . If car services don't want to lose customers to Uber, then the taxis need to stop hanging around Penn, Grand Central, or the LIRR stops for the easy fare and start putting effort in picking up passengers.

I think those delivery trucks are usually scheduled by the business to pick up and drop off during the midday. They need time to unload or pick up cargo that was ordered by the client. Keep in mind that there's lots of restaurants, shops, and businesses around 57th. Those businesses would have to come together and agree on a time that works for everyone in the area, not just a few businesses.

1 hour ago, NY1635 said:

More and more people are relying on Uber to get to work on time because they're fed up with the constant delays on the subways, especially on the Sixth Avenue lines where if something bad happens Central Park West, or in Downtown Brooklyn, every single route is effected except for the (F) . If car services don't want to lose customers to Uber, then the taxis need to stop hanging around Penn, Grand Central, or the LIRR stops for the easy fare and start putting effort in picking up passengers.

I think those delivery trucks are usually scheduled by the business to pick up and drop off during the midday. They need time to unload or pick up cargo that was ordered by the client. Keep in mind that there's lots of restaurants, shops, and businesses around 57th. Those businesses would have to come together and agree on a time that works for everyone in the area, not just a few businesses.

Everything you said in the post above is correct.  This was discussed this morning on Good Day NY.  The core message was that we must get the subway system in better shape and our buses moving because it is simply not sustainable to have people ditching the subways and moving to Uber and Lyft. The problem is with so many people fed-up with the ongoing breakdowns in the subway system, you have Uber now offering competitive rates and doing things like ride sharing.  $3.50 for a ride versus the $2.75 for the subway with the homeless and other crazies is a steal of a deal, and often times faster when you consider the backtracking needed to reach the subway, then the wait and so on.

Speed limit gets lowered to 25mph and they wonder why congestion and bus speeds have decreased? :wacko:

As for the Cross Bronx Expressway, the "Northbound" traffic delays are generally due to grade changes. "Southbound" delays are due to GWB/Trans Manhattan Expressway delays.

Westbound Staten Island Expressway Delays are due to the Goethals Bridge bottleneck, and the West Shore Expressway ramp (both of which would not be a problem if the Richmond Parkway was extended as planned.)

Eastbound Delays on a 4 lane highway which ends at a 6 lane bridge, you tell me. :unsure:

On a side note, Van Wyck Expressway delays are generally due to the grade changes to go over the Hillside and Archer Ave lines. Also, if congestion continues Southbound, traffic magically opens up at Linden Blvd.

39 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

You mean increase? Well he should start by increasing the speed limit but he will make the vision zero crowd mad

Speed limit needs to be back at 30/35.  Parkways and expressways at 55/60. Other cities you flying at 65 or even 70. Just came back from Virginia certain parts of 95 are 70MPH. 

I know in New York that won't happen. However, if the speed limits were slightly increased that can be one cause for better traffic. 

2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Speed limit gets lowered to 25mph and they wonder why congestion and bus speeds have decreased? :wacko:

18 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

You mean increase? Well he should start by increasing the speed limit but he will make the vision zero crowd mad

Congestion increased and bus speeds decreased.

1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

Speed limit needs to be back at 30/35.  Parkways and expressways at 55/60. Other cities you flying at 65 or even 70. Just came back from Virginia certain parts of 95 are 70MPH. 

I know in New York that won't happen. However, if the speed limits were slightly increase that can be one cause. 

Yes, Virginia and NC have reasonable 70mph speed limits. Delaware FINALLY upped theirs to 65mph in recent years.

5 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Congestion increased and bus speeds decreased.

Yes, Virginia and NC have reasonable 70mph speed limits.

Delaware FINALLY upped theirs to 65mph in recent years.

Just noticed it over the weekend while speeding down 95/495. Just only before you hit The Delaware Memorial Bridge and the New Castle/Dover Exit. The speed drops immediately to 50 and on the bridge over to Jersey. 

How interesting that before the election, de Blasio made comments along the lines of "I don't care about traffic problems" (such as during the initial increased security around Trump tower), and mysteriously right before the general election, he starts caring about traffic. 

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

How interesting that before the election, de Blasio made comments along the lines of "I don't care about traffic problems" (such as during the initial increased security around Trump tower), and mysteriously right before the general election, he starts caring about traffic. 

This is what happens when you elect an irresponsible @$$hole from Massachusetts that has only downturned the city into an Era of Infernal Hell in an unwelcoming Satanic Environment.

27 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

This is what happens when you elect an irresponsible @$$hole from Massachusetts that has only downturned the city into an Era of Infernal Hell in an unwelcoming Satanic Environment.

You talking about Billy D, or Mikey B?

8 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I know in New York that won't happen. However, if the speed limits were slightly increased that can be one cause for better traffic. 

Everyone drives at 65+ on the LIE anyways. As far as the parkways, usually the low speed limits are there for a reason; the Cross Island and Jackie Robinson in particular can get pretty hairy.

10 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Everyone drives at 65+ on the LIE anyways. As far as the parkways, usually the low speed limits are there for a reason; the Cross Island and Jackie Robinson in particular can get pretty hairy.

The Jackie Robinson has a lot of curves but a 45MPH limit is ridiculous. As for the Cross Island, which parts are hairy? 

12 hours ago, Deucey said:

You talking about Billy D, or Mikey B?

Bill de Blasio of course.  What idiot runs for mayor, becomes mayor, and then refuses to root for the Yankees which is from the same city he's the mayor of? Bill de Blasio.  I don't care about him being from Massachusetts.  You live in NY now and you're the mayor of NY.  Have some class and root for the home team that has the potential to bring in more money to this city! Unbelievable.  

Michael Goodwin in today's New York Post says it all about this mayor and all his promises before the election. He will do anything and say anything to get re-elected and then watch what happens afterwards. This mayor has no love for this city as if he did he would not walk around blaming all of us who live here for the myriads of problems that he and his wonderful friends have created to put this city on the spiral  of bankruptcy. Just wait until the penalties for making this a sanctuary city start rolling in very soon and the hospital mess comes due and then he will want more taxes as if he does not receive enough money already For him is more about ideology rather than proposing rational solutions to our problems. 

His proposal to restrict deliveries will destroy small businesses who are dependent on daytime deliveries and who cannot afford to pay for deliveries at night. Does the mayor care about it, no way as that like his vision zero fiasco it is more about ideology not practicality so who cares about any type of business except ones that will provide money for his 2020 presidential campaign. Placing more traffic agents to control traffic on midtown streets even though it is done during the Christmas season? The mayor and his friends will tell you they don't have the money as it is not one of his pet projects and who cares about traffic when he can helicopter from place to place and avoid the traffic jams. 

The mayor thinks that he is going to win with a huge plurality over the other candidates who are running against him. As i have stated before in previous posts involving this mayor, the turnout will not be determined by him but by one of the three proposals on the ballot with the major one being the constitutional convention. Since it most likely will be a double sided ballot, the question then becomes how many will vote just for convention and not vote for anything else and this can change the dynamics of the election. If many of his supporters feel that the  mayor has already won the election, they may just vote on the convention and forget him so his so called big victory will be a lot smaller then he would like and then what is his excuse?

4 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Random thought: This past weekend the Bayonne Bridge was closed and people were reporting 3 hour delays at the Goethals. I saw the MLK Expwy, which normally flies, at a complete standstill.

I thought the closures were done since they finished the new roadway?

(Cancelled my ZipCar account so I don't drive to Walmart anymore.)

Archived