Explosion In Subway Near Port Authority

Via Garibaldi 8

Just got word of this myself.... One of these jackass suicide bombers at it again..... Last I heard on the radio, evacuations were ongoing on the (A)(C)(E)  lines.... The good news (if there's any to be taken from this shit) is that the suicide bomber was the only one injured & as a result, is in police custody....   

------------------------------

Here's a source:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Explosion-Port-Authority-Evacuations-Officials-463366753.html

A man detonated some sort of improvised explosive device in an underground passageway near Port Authority Bus Terminal in midtown Manhattan as Monday's peak morning commute got underway, prompting mass evacuations but appearing to injure no one but himself, according to city officials and sources familiar with the investigation.

The blast went off in a tunnel between the Times Square station and Port Authority, the nation's busiest bus terminal, at 42nd Street and Eighth Avenue around 7:15 a.m., according to law enforcement officials.

Law enforcement sources say only one person was believed to have been involved and that man is in custody. At least one source close to the investigation says preliminary information indicates the man had wires and some kind of improvised device on his body; others described a pipe bomb. 

A law enforcement source says Port Authority officers took down the suspect, cuffed him and brought him to a hospital with a stomach laceration.  

Witnesses said it smelled as if a firecracker had gone off after the blast. The FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force has responded, Mayor de Blasio has been briefed, as has President Trump. 

Subways were avoiding the area and Port Authority was shut down as authorities investigated. Also, 14th, 23rd, 34th and 42nd streets were closed river to river and all Port Authority buses were being diverted to New Jersey. Get more information on traffic changes here. Information on injuries wasn't immediately available.

The Notify NYC Twitter account said to expect traffic and transit delays and emergency personnel at 42nd Street between Eighth and Ninth avenues. 

Former NYPD commissioner Bill Bratton, speaking on MSNBC, said he had been told the suspect was a Bangladeshi man in his mid 20s who was wearing a device and indicated he was detonating it in the name of ISIS. Bratton's information, which he said came from NYPD sources, could not immediately be confirmed.

The Port Authority Bus Terminal is the nation’s largest bus terminal and also the world’s busiest, according to the agency.

Current as of 9:15am

(1):2:(3)(N)(Q)(R)(W)(7)<7> Trains are bypassing Times Times Sq-42nd St in both directions.

There is no (A) and (C) Train service between W 4th St-Washington Sq and 59th St Columbus Circle in both directions. 

(A) trains are running on the (D) line between W 4th St-Washington Sq and 59th St Columbus Circle in both directions. 

(B) and (C) train service is suspended. 

Some northbound (D) trains end at Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr. 

There is no (E) train service between W 4th St-Washington Sq and Jackson Hts-Roosevelt ave. in both directions.

(E) trains are stopping along the (F) line between Jackson Hts-Roosevelt ave and W 4th St-Washington Sq in both directions. 

Some Northbound (F) trains are stopping along the (G) line from Bergen St to Court Sq then on the (E) line to Jackson Hts-Roosevelt ave.

There is no (L) train service between 8th ave and 6th ave in both directions. 

There is no 42nd St shuttle ((S)) service in both directions.

(M) Trains are not running between Delancey-Essex and Forest Hills-71st Av.

Stay safe everyone.

12/11/17 9:15 AM

All service has returned to normal with the exception of the 42nd Street shuttle. Also, all trains continue to bypass Times Square and 42 St-Port Authority.

EDIT: It appears that three other people sustained minor injuries and are expected to be okay.

Just now, Lawrence St said:

I was caught in that mess, when it went off people were running and shoving in all directions and some lady pushed me down the stairs. I'm fine though, thank god.

Given how zoned out people are I'm shocked that people were even running.  I'm usually one of the few that don't have earbuds shoved down my ears.

You'd be amazed how quickly people wake up when they hear something that sounds like a bomb or gunshots.

That's always been my fear, not that someone will try to blow up or shoot up some place, but the resulting stampede that follows. You cannot predict how people will react when panicked and that more often than not leads to more injuries than the initial incident.

5 minutes ago, Lance said:

You'd be amazed how quickly people wake up when they hear something that sounds like a bomb or gunshots.

That's always been my fear, not that someone will try to blow up or shoot up some place, but the resulting stampede that follows. You cannot predict how people will react when panicked and that more often than not leads to more injuries than the initial incident.

I just think that people purposely try to zone out with those earbuds and I get it. There's lots of weirdos out and about but when something like this happens, it makes things worse as those people freak out even more.

5 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I actually lost one of my airpods in the chaos, so there goes 150$...

I rarely wear earbuds in the subway, and if I do, there usually isn't any music playing.  

14 minutes ago, Lance said:

Never did like those Airpods, mainly because I'm the type of person who would lose one of them immediately.

I hated them as well, but my beats broke a few weeks ago and these were a present from my friend and I didn't want to waste more money.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I actually lost one of my airpods in the chaos, so there goes 150$...

You should be about to get a replacement for$70 from Apple if “Find my EarPod” isn’t working for you via iCloud and you have the remaining pod. I’ve traveled this road already. 

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I was caught in that mess, when it went off people were running and shoving in all directions and some lady pushed me down the stairs. I'm fine though, thank god.

This is what I was talking about when I said that panic is half the danger in these situations. I hear an explosion and I'm running toward it to see if there are wounded in need of immediate attention - and I don't care if you call me stupid for doing so. 

44 minutes ago, itmaybeokay said:

This is what I was talking about when I said that panic is half the danger in these situations. I hear an explosion and I'm running toward it to see if there are wounded in need of immediate attention - and I don't care if you call me stupid for doing so. 

Go right on ahead... I won't stop you... :D

1 hour ago, itmaybeokay said:

While I personally wouldn't do it, I wouldn't dismiss that as being stupid... I see that as selflessness & heroism.

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I just think that people purposely try to zone out with those earbuds and I get it. There's lots of weirdos out and about but when something like this happens, it makes things worse as those people freak out even more.

I rarely wear earbuds in the subway, and if I do, there usually isn't any music playing.  

I keep mine in so people don’t talk to me. Rarely ever have anything playing through them 

11 minutes ago, Deucey said:

I keep mine in so people don’t talk to me. Rarely ever have anything playing through them 

lol... Rather than do that sometimes I simply don't say anything so that people think I don't speak English.  Saturday I was going back home after I had stopped at Home Depot and Target for a few items I needed.  I'm waiting for the express bus by 35th and 6th and this older guy just walks by with his wife and asks me if I knew where the (Q) train was.  No excuse me sir, nothing, as if I'm an information booth.  I find that very rude.  Whenever I ask someone for information, I say excuse me, otherwise it feels as if you're demanding information from someone who is supposedly doing you a favor, so I simply don't respond at all which is exactly what I did.  He either assumed I didn't speak English or that I didn't know and kept going.  The other one that I've become good with is the panhandlers.  I was refilling a Metrocard at Times Square a few weeks ago, and here's this guy pretending like he is checking Metrocards when he was really just scoping out people to see who he could ask for money.  

I go to fill up my card and here is asking me for money.  I looked at him as if to say are you crazy, and went back to what I was doing and he just mumbled something under his breath. I said to myself you can mumble whatever you want, but you put your hands on me and I'm going to knock you out.  Often times a good shove or a shoulder gets the message through when you're bigger than the individual in question, which is usually the case with me being 6'4".  

11 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Seems like it was within Fare control the 41street passageway  7th > 8th ave. 

For the love of all things holy, I hope that this doesn't lead the (MTA) to shutter the passage. The sixth avenue passage was closed in the early '90s due to a rape and hasn't re-opened since. The latter wasn't really a crucial passage, but the former certainly is.

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

lol... Rather than do that sometimes I simply don't say anything so that people think I don't speak English.  Saturday I was going back home after I had stopped at Home Depot and Target for a few items I needed.  I'm waiting for the express bus by 35th and 6th and this older guy just walks by with his wife and asks me if I knew where the (Q) train was.  No excuse me sir, nothing, as if I'm an information booth.  I find that very rude.  Whenever I ask someone for information, I say excuse me, otherwise it feels as if you're demanding information from someone who is supposedly doing you a favor, so I simply don't respond at all which is exactly what I did.  He either assumed I didn't speak English or that I didn't know and kept going.  The other one that I've become good with is the panhandlers.  I was refilling a Metrocard at Times Square a few weeks ago, and here's this guy pretending like he is checking Metrocards when he was really just scoping out people to see who he could ask for money.  

I go to fill up my card and here is asking me for money.  I looked at him as if to say are you crazy, and went back to what I was doing and he just mumbled something under his breath. I said to myself you can mumble whatever you want, but you put your hands on me and I'm going to knock you out.  Often times a good shove or a shoulder gets the message through when you're bigger than the individual in question, which is usually the case with me being 6'4".  

I save the courtesy for tourists and folks who arent from the borough I’m in. (Bronxites have different accents than Brooklynites.)

Everyone else gets told the long way.

———-

There was this lady at Whitehall on the (R) in front of the MVM that asked me how to get to Court Street. She’s from Brooklyn - I can tell.

Damn station has signs showing which side to Brooklyn and to Queens/Uptown. But she wasn’t having it that she’s one stop away.

so I tell her “Take the (1) to Chambers; (2) or (3) to Barclays then the (R) to Manhattan to Court Street.”

Some cat at USQ talked mad ish to the token booth clerk and a motorman. Dude just foul AF. Needs to go to the VA on Sedgwick in the Bx.

Asks me for directions. Obviously taking the (4) to Fordham solves his problem. What do I tell him?

" (L) to 6th Av, walk to the (2) uptown. Get off at Fordham, take the Bx12 local to the last stop and walk up the block."

Yeah, I added an hour to his trip just bc he was an ass.

This is why I wear red Beats whenever I'm out.

I was inbound to Port Authority on my I-78 route from Bedminster and the 📱s started blowing up with texts of the incident right before the Garden State Parkway Exit and by Newark Airport, was given instructions to U-turn and take everyone back home.

More surprised initially hearing a pipe bomb went off in the subway that just a couple of people got hurt, but upon hearing the whole story, could’ve been much worse.  

Archived