B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

9 hours ago, Brooklyn2020 said:

Long time lurker here first post. Anybody have any movement on this exam after sending in pre employent? Thanks

First of all, welcome to the Forums as a registered member!

Second, you are aware that the previous list (B/O Exam # 7612) is still active, right? If you look at the last page of that thread, folks are being called off of this list as well, in which they have priority since the initial examination for that exam was given first, and that list was published first, respectively.

Therefore, if I had to take an educated guess as far as a "time frame," once the holidays are over, hopefully within the next couple of weeks you should hear back from NYC Transit's HR Department.

Happy Holidays and welcome to the Forums!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the warm welcome and for explaining what is going on in dept. I have one more question if you dont mind answering. I was certified and send a pre employent packet back in october. I sent all of my paperwork in but recieved a responce that I was missing my driving abtract from another state and my air brakes certication. I have completed all of that and sent it in but when calling dcas i am hearing "You have been marked as not qualified for certification from this eligible list". Do you know what that means? Do you think I have to placed back on the list?

Thank again.

8 hours ago, Brooklyn2020 said:

Thank you for the warm welcome and for explaining what is going on in dept. I have one more question if you dont mind answering. I was certified and send a pre employent packet back in october. I sent all of my paperwork in but recieved a responce that I was missing my driving abtract from another state and my air brakes certication. I have completed all of that and sent it in but when calling dcas i am hearing "You have been marked as not qualified for certification from this eligible list". Do you know what that means? Do you think I have to placed back on the list?

Thank again.

You're more than welcome as far as the warm welcome is concerned!

Based on what you have said, your name has been removed from the list because you were missing those two things (driving abstract from another state and your air brakes certification). Therefore, if you want to continue, you have to restore your name back to the list. To do so, you can e-mail certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. When you do, make sure to include your full name, last four digits of your Social Security Number, Exam Number, List Number, and the reason why you're having your name restored to the list, which can be brief.

In addition, mind I ask, when did you you transfer your license from the other state to New York? The reason why is because the MTA looks at your abstract for the past three [3] years. So, argument sake, if you transferred your license from the other state to New York in mid-January of 2018, by the next time they send you the pre-employment packet, you won't have to worry about this.

Finally, would you mind sharing your list number please? Make sure to hide the last digit or two for identity purposes.

Good luck!!

Edited by +Young+

I transferred my license around mid march 2019 so I'm assuming I would have to submit another abstract. I have sent out the email like you suggested. Hopefully I hear back soon. If i was taking off the list would I have to wait until they request more names to be put back on?

My list number is 1xx

Thank you again 

3 minutes ago, Brooklyn2020 said:

I transferred my license around mid march 2019 so I'm assuming I would have to submit another abstract. I have sent out the email like you suggested. Hopefully I hear back soon. If i was taking off the list would I have to wait until they request more names to be put back on?

My list number is 1xx

Thank you again 

Okay, so for the entire pre-employment process, including when you get to Zerega for training, you will need an abstract from the other state which is less than 30 calendar days old. Since your name was taken off the list, you will have to wait until their HR Department requests a new "batch" or "group" of names from DCAS. Therefore, if I was you, keep an eye out on this webpage. If you type "Bus Operator" into the search box, you will see the last "batch" or "group" of names that the HR Department requested from DCAS.

(In addition, you might find this webpage useful as well.)

Good luck!!

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, mattfutureconductor5 said:

Cdl permit tomorrow, very early , I give it all my best , if I fail, try again , it is not a easy test , I rescheduled  due to I have work in December 

7:30 am

Second time tomorrow.

list number 10**

Its hard...trust me i know. good luck.

How many points do you need to have at the time of getting called. I’m a school bus driver so I have my CDL so just waiting on getting called. My number is 10** so I assume if they stopped in the 500s then when they pick back up I should be getting a message soon given it’s only 500 Numbers in change away right?

Edited by NMondi

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2021 at 7:15 AM, train1290 said:

Its hard...trust me i know. good luck.

Yeah I failed , it is hard, you need to study longer enough, I take it again after I am done with school and study for three month then Retake it. Some questions are tricky. You can take it unlimited attempts so all good ,  I will keep trying  to get the bus permit. 

5 minutes ago, mattfutureconductor5 said:

I have a question I searched my name for bus operators :why is there four name   Of my name on the list, I guessed it because it expired or they didn’t  call me in  during those rounds.I still don’t have my bus permit. I am so bad in permit 😭

Where did you look your name up? You need to get that permit or by the time they call you to come in and you don’t have it they will bypass you 

Anyone have any idea when he process will pick back up? I heard they stopped at about 5**. Will we get a text message, or a letter when we are called in for the next steps? My list number is 10** when should I expect to hear from them. Is there a way to look your name up? I have my CDL

17 hours ago, mattfutureconductor5 said:

Yeah I failed , it is hard, you need to study longer enough, I take it again after I am done with school and study for three month then Retake it. Some questions are tricky. You can take it unlimited attempts so all good ,  I will keep trying  to get the bus permit. 

Have you tried using cristcdl.com to obtain your permit? Back when I got mine, for the purposes of studying, I used the practice questions from this website 75 to 80% of the time (in which I made index cards and kept shuffling them up) and I read the manual the other 20 to 25% of the time.

(If you need all of the information, refer to the bottom half of the green announcement box, located at the very top of this webpage.)

17 hours ago, NMondi said:

Where did you look your name up? You need to get that permit or by the time they call you to come in and you don’t have it they will bypass you 

If you click here, you can type your name in the search box located on the top-right hand side of the screen.

17 hours ago, mattfutureconductor5 said:

I have a question I searched my name for bus operators :why is there four name   Of my name on the list, I guessed it because it expired or they didn’t  call me in  during those rounds.I still don’t have my bus permit. I am so bad in permit 😭

Chances are they didn't call you in during those rounds. If you use the website I suggested for your permit, which is free, you will get it! Trust me!

17 hours ago, NMondi said:

Anyone have any idea when he process will pick back up? I heard they stopped at about 5**. Will we get a text message, or a letter when we are called in for the next steps? My list number is 10** when should I expect to hear from them. Is there a way to look your name up? I have my CDL

If I had to take an educated guess, it's not going to be for a while. The reason why is because, if you type "Bus Operator" into the search box of this webpage, you will see that from the agency's last certification on March 15th, the first 53 names for this position came off of the two prior lists, B/O 4600 and B/O 7612. Even if you scroll down further, the consecutive list numbers for this exam don't start until you reach the 68th person. In addition, as per this webpage, you now need an appointment to enter 180 Livingston Street. Therefore, they're only inviting a select number of candidates to 180 Livingston Street and working with this group, respectively.

If I had to take an educated guess on when the process will pick back up off of this list - I would say it might pick back up this summer (June, July and/or August). However, providing they don't extend the list for B/O 4600 again, that list should expire in January of 2022, and by then things should definitely be rolling with this list.

Good luck!!

Edited by +Young+
Editing...

51 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Have you tried using cristcdl.com to obtain your permit? Back when I got mine, for the purposes of studying, I used the practice questions from this website 75 to 80% of the time (in which I used index cards) and I read the manual the other 20 to 25% of the time.

(If you need all of the information, refer to the bottom half of the green announcement box, located at the very top of this webpage.)

If you click here, you can type your name in the search box located on the top-right hand side of the screen.

Chances are they didn't call you in during those rounds. If you use the website I suggested for your permit, which is free, you will get it! Trust me!

If I had to take an educated guess, it's not going to be for a while. The reason why is because, if you type "Bus Operator" into the search box of this webpage, you will see that from the agency's last certification on March 15th, the first 53 names for this position came off of the two prior lists, B/O 4600 and B/O 7612. Even if you scroll down further, the consecutive list numbers for this exam don't start until you reach the 68th person. In addition, as per this webpage, you now need an appointment to enter 180 Livingston Street. Therefore, they're only inviting a select number of candidates to 180 Livingston Street and working with this group, respectively.

If I had to take an educated guess on when the process will pick back up off of this list - I would say it might pick back up this summer (June, July and/or August). However, providing they don't extend the list for B/O 4600 again, that list should expire in January of 2022, and by then things should definitely be rolling with this list.

Good luck!!

So how does it works? I saw they want to fill 300 vacancies I’m in the 500s on this list number 9604 but I’m certified around the 400s on the civil service list.

I thought if they wanted 300 vacancies from TA they should at least call 500-600 names cause I don’t think the first 300 names are all set or interested in the position right now.

3 minutes ago, Juls2595 said:

So how does it works? I saw they want to fill 300 vacancies I’m in the 500s on this list number 9604 but I’m certified around the 400s on the civil service list.

I thought if they wanted 300 vacancies from TA they should at least call 500-600 names cause I don’t think the first 300 names are all set or interested in the position right now.

I personally don't think those numbers are 100% accurate (and that's just me personally). With the fact that the CDC doesn't want "large crowds" until further notice, I think they're calling in small groups, and working with these small groups until they can successfully transfer them to Zerega.

In addition, if you watch this YouTube video, at one minute and 25 seconds, it states that "Typically, 23% of those hired will fail out of the initial training." Therefore, this doesn't help as far as folks passing the initial 10-Day Bus Operator Training Session, however, it is what it is.

3 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Have you tried using cristcdl.com to obtain your permit? Back when I got mine, for the purposes of studying, I used the practice questions from this website 75 to 80% of the time (in which I made index cards and kept shuffling them up) and I read the manual the other 20 to 25% of the time.

Good luck!!

Ok but why is I when we type our name in our list number pops up 3-5 times underneath each other? They didn’t skip us right because we didn’t get a notification that we were even called 

19 hours ago, NMondi said:

Ok but why is I when we type our name in our list number pops up 3-5 times underneath each other? They didn’t skip us right because we didn’t get a notification that we were even called 

No they didn't. This is how it is, even for all of the other "Civil Service" examinations that I have taken through DCAS. As long as the certification sequence number gets smaller, then you're good.

Good luck!!

1 hour ago, NMondi said:

How do you know the certification sequence number getting smaller. Where should you look? 

Look at the ninth column from the left. As long as this number gets smaller over time, you're good. My list number for this particular exam is in the mid-600's. Between the January certification for Bus Operators and the March certification, my certification sequence number dropped by 40.

In addition, if you want to see all of the Certifications for Bus Operator, Conductor and Track Worker, click here.

Good luck!!

Ok I just saw the number and it says 968 but why does it say April 14, 2021 certification expiration. 968 from my number was 100 in change change but I know I’m only 600 numbers in change away so I don’t follow lol. Once again sorry