B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

17 minutes ago, BoRi1976 said:

Congrats. You will be doing the 7 day training with a supt and I don't know if many of them work holidays. I guess its a wait and see game. Even if you have to work it, I'd say get used to that. We get no holidays early in our careers lol. Luckily I don't eat that dry bird🤣 But I believe you will get the option to get paid for working or bank it for an AVA day? Don't quote me. I'm a probie🤣

Are we able to bank holidays at the beginning? 

I may be wrong but I thought I read on here you get to bank holidays after 3 months of service. I very well could be wrong though. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, KDGallagher said:

I may be wrong but I thought I read on here you get to bank holidays after 3 months of service. I very well could be wrong though. 

Never heard of the 3 month rule but either way, you bank it and you can use it as long as you ask for it in advance( 30 days before using it) that's the way they do it in my depot.

3 minutes ago, KDGallagher said:

You can bank all transit holidays aka ava expect your birthday in your 1st year. After 1st year you get your bday off if you put in to be off.

1 minute ago, AJD said:

That is correct but the Superintendent who do the training are out of Zerega. 

My supt was out of Jamaica. So not all supt are from zerega. And my supt trained me in Queens Village. They're all over the place. But most of them are off on holidays

1 minute ago, BoRi1976 said:

Never heard of the 3 month rule but either way, you bank it and you can use it as long as you ask for it in advance( 30 days before using it) that's the way they do it in my depot.

Found the read I read that in. Post was written by @SevenEleven maybe he can chime in. 

TA Holidays (AVAs). I call them as such because not every holiday will get you an AVA. Again, I’m in Buses so this list might not match up with RTO (because each department is different). You will be eligible for AVA accrual after 90 days of service for working as scheduled the day before, the day of the holiday and the day after on these days:

1. New Years Day

2. MLK Day

3. Presidents Day

4. Memorial Day

5. Juneteenth

6. July 4th

7. Labor Day

8. Veterans Day

9. Thanksgiving

10. Day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday)

11. Christmas

12. Your birthday after 1 year of service. Again, will be awarded the January 1st after completion. 

Thread: 

On specific Holiday's the Zerega 19a Supt Safety and Trainer will be off. Although, it would be strange to have a class on  Thanksgiving week, but you will be off, and may have to return back for training that Friday or Saturday.

*The first week or two in January, Zerega 19a Supt will take a break from probies training and head out to depots across the system to train operators that picked into new depots during the system pick that needs certification training on certain bus the depot equipped with. Also "Seniors" operators will be training the snow fighter trucks. Just to clarify, If you picked into a depot that has express routes, they have to come train you to operate the coach bus. The goes for whatever other buses that depot carries that you may not have been certified trained on.

Edited by Flatbush Operator

On 11/10/2021 at 1:01 PM, BoRi1976 said:

My supt was out of Jamaica. So not all supt are from zerega. And my supt trained me in Queens Village. They're all over the place. But most of them are off on holidays

Who was your Supt out of Jamaica If you don't mind me asking?

Hi, Saw a Training Bus today in Jamaica on Archer Ave making a right turn onto 160 street from Archer Ave onto 160 Street underneath that underpass that LIRR runs on. The bus was out of Fresh Pond Depot, I saw it around 10:15 10:30 this morning. Just wondering if anyone on here was on that bus?

Can someone explain to be the uniform? 

Every time I look into a bus, it's like every operator is wearing something different. I see some wearing different mta hoodies, vests, MTA blue long sleeve shirts, and some even wearing their own personal jackets

I live near the ENY depot and I see some guys wearing windbreakers with 'NYCT' on the back, those are pretty hard can't lie I want one lol 

At its core:

: The light blue button shirt, long or short sleeve. 

: Dark blue/navy pants

: Tie during the winter uniform period or anytime with a long sleeve. 

: The appropriate footwear.

You can wear shorts and the blue polo shirts during the summer uniform period. 

You’ll get some TA issued extras such as the sweater vest, the bi-fold jacket and socks. (Lmao yes)

You can get all the other stuff that you’ve seen on your own or from people selling at the depots/Zerega. 

On 11/11/2021 at 1:14 PM, Flatbush Operator said:

On specific Holiday's the Zerega 19a Supt Safety and Trainer will be off. Although, it would be strange to have a class on  Thanksgiving week, but you will be off, and may have to return back for training that Friday or Saturday.

*The first week or two in January, Zerega 19a Supt will take a break from probies training and head out to depots across the system to train operators that picked into new depots during the system pick that needs certification training on certain bus the depot equipped with. Also "Seniors" operators will be training the snow fighter trucks. Just to clarify, If you picked into a depot that has express routes, they have to come train you to operate the coach bus. The goes for whatever other buses that depot carries that you may not have been certified trained on.

Does anyone know the exact date for the next training / class for bus operators ?

On 11/12/2021 at 5:19 PM, SevenEleven said:

At its core:

: The light blue button shirt, long or short sleeve. 

: Dark blue/navy pants

: Tie during the winter uniform period or anytime with a long sleeve. 

: The appropriate footwear.

You can wear shorts and the blue polo shirts during the summer uniform period. 

You’ll get some TA issued extras such as the sweater vest, the bi-fold jacket and socks. (Lmao yes)

You can get all the other stuff that you’ve seen on your own or from people selling at the depots/Zerega. 

Ok, how about the NYCT turtleneck shirt? where do we get that? Is there a number we can call?

I go tomorrow for medical. I f**ked up and went to the Post Office late yesterday and only had a credit card and didn't have enough time to come back with my debit card to get the money order. 

Post office near 180 opens at 7am, same time I'm supposed to be there.

Question: Does it make more sense to go get the money order first and show up 10-15 minutes late (and possibly be behind a bunch of other people who arrived before me for medical) or to go and do medical and (hopefully) be allowed to go and get a money order for what I assume is the last step in the process (fingerprints)

2 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

I go tomorrow for medical. I f**ked up and went to the Post Office late yesterday and only had a credit card and didn't have enough time to come back with my debit card to get the money order. 

Question: Does it make more sense to go get the money order first and show up 10-15 minutes late (and possibly be behind a bunch of other people who arrived before me for medical) or to go and do medical and (hopefully) be allowed to go and get a money order for what I assume is the last step in the process (fingerprints)

As someone who works at USPS. Use cash or debit card for money order and always use postal money order if you have to. (never expires). Blank money order. If you’re only doing medical tomorrow you don’t need to have the money order. If you pass the medical and they tell you in email come to final processing (finger print) then you should have the money order at that point. But if you still feeling froggy, have your passport social driver’s license and cdl permit and blank money order at all times. Everything can hold in the passport book.  Yes they will let you go get the money order if you don’t have it. Just go to your medical early since you’ll be there all day anyway whether you’re early or a little late. Please don’t tear off the customer receipt of the money order. 🤞🏽 

18 minutes ago, misslo said:

As someone who works at USPS. Use cash or debit card for money order and always use postal money order if you have to. (never expires). Blank money order. If you’re only doing medical tomorrow you don’t need to have the money order. If you pass the medical and they tell you in email come to final processing (finger print) then you should have the money order at that point. But if you still feeling froggy, have your passport social driver’s license and cdl permit and blank money order at all times. Everything can hold in the passport book.  Yes they will let you go get the money order if you don’t have it. Just go to your medical early since you’ll be there all day anyway whether you’re early or a little late. Please don’t tear off the customer receipt of the money order. 🤞🏽 

Its for medical but in the list of things to bring they say a postal money order. I assume if I pass medical everything is done tomorrow 

16 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

After I did my medical, they asked me for the money order and I didn't have it. I told them that nowhere on the email they sent me did it say anything about a money order. They processed my fingerprints and asked me to bring the money order the next day. Thankfully I only live 20 mins away. But to answer your question... DON'T be LATE!!! Good Luck👍

On 11/11/2021 at 1:14 PM, Flatbush Operator said:

My Guy!!! I've been running on that B35🥵🤣