OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

7 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Third party as in the retail network? Having other agencies (PA NYNJ, NICE, Etc) handle their own distribution? Or the virtual card for Apple/Google/mobile wallet in place of physical cards? The latter was de-spec'ed a while back. Hence "reinstututing the requirement"

I've had faster reader response times with GPay/Samsung phone than with credit cards. 

Also the readers and back office are supposedly a next gen version of the Oyster system (backend similar to how contactless cards are processed on Oyster). The sensitivity issue has been there for a while and the speed at which the reader can accept a new card is apparent but there hasnt been any major public fiasco. The bugs will definitely need to be fixed before OMNY becomes dominant but it looks like its going ok, even with the pandemic delays. 

See below re: third party. That's interesting about your cell phone. I have had TERRIBLE experiences with my phone. Either it works on the first try,I have to tap at least twice, or it won't work at all. Too much aggravation, so I switched to contactless cards and have kept it that way. The speed issue definitely needs to be addressed, as it is slow compared to the Metrocard when talking about people swiping back to back to back to back.

4 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The retail network as in stores and bodegas, akin to what Oyster has. The idea is that participating stores could sell and top up cards in addition to the machines in stations. Suica in Japan also works the same way.

That's correct. That's the plan. They are trying to reduce their costs that way. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/21/2021 at 1:19 AM, Around the Horn said:

The retail network as in stores and bodegas, akin to what Oyster has. The idea is that participating stores could sell and top up cards in addition to the machines in stations. Suica in Japan also works the same way.

That's how it works with OPUS card in Quebec. With Montreal STM trips on it, I also have several from the Quebec City RTC bus system, and added trips at a newstand at the QC inter-modal VIA Rail/intercity bus terminal. 

12 hours ago, mikecintel said:

I just listen to the whole MTA meeting today and they don't talk about OMNY like when the physical cards out.  I miss Al because he keep OMNY rolling and there were updates.  Did anyone see the whole MTA meeting or probably miss something?

Al Putre got the program off of the ground, so he can do his thing now. The other decisions fall on the (MTA) . Physical cards will come out later this year. They're already doing a soft launch of the reduced fare cards switching people over to OMNY.

20 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Al Putre got the program off of the ground, so he can do his thing now. The other decisions fall on the (MTA) . Physical cards will come out later this year. They're already doing a soft launch of the reduced fare cards switching people over to OMNY.

Yes I know Al is retired by now and we do miss him.  OK about Physical card I thought they would do a "update" of when it will come out in the fall and how things are progressing.  About the soft launch of reduce fare cards for people who are 65 and over are they going to get letters in July or August if there doing a soft launch? My parents are waiting for it or should I call the MTA to find out.

1 hour ago, mikecintel said:

Yes I know Al is retired by now and we do miss him.  OK about Physical card I thought they would do a "update" of when it will come out in the fall and how things are progressing.  About the soft launch of reduce fare cards for people who are 65 and over are they going to get letters in July or August if there doing a soft launch? My parents are waiting for it or should I call the MTA to find out.

The soft launch is not for everyone, so if they really want it, they should call the (MTA) and see if they can get it now. The plan is to ramp it up for the Fall. The main reason they aren't giving updates is because everything was delayed because of COVID, and they are figuring out everything as they go. 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The soft launch is not for everyone, so if they really want it, they should call the (MTA) and see if they can get it now. The plan is to ramp it up for the Fall. The main reason they aren't giving updates is because everything was delayed because of COVID, and they are figuring out everything as they go. 

Thank you for the info the updates.

On 6/21/2021 at 6:06 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

See below re: third party. That's interesting about your cell phone. I have had TERRIBLE experiences with my phone. Either it works on the first try,I have to tap at least twice, or it won't work at all. Too much aggravation, so I switched to contactless cards and have kept it that way. The speed issue definitely needs to be addressed, as it is slow compared to the Metrocard when talking about people swiping back to back to back to back.

That's correct. That's the plan. They are trying to reduce their costs that way. 

Wife and I use OMNY regularly with phone and watch and I’ll say it hasn’t disappointed yet (except when she’s had her phone upside down once or twice). Do you use a case, and if so, might it be that? Or do you tap elsewhere with your phone w/o issues?

What annoys me the most are that my employers transit card provider still hasn’t began issuing contactless cards (or added support for adding to mobile device wallet) and all the 2.75 transactions on my statements. :) would really like to be able to top up/off some card (physical or virtual) which I would then use.

with the chip shortages mentioned, I do hope that forces the mobile wallet virtual card back into the picture (if there isn’t an equivalent option with the OMNY app itself). It doesn’t have to be for everyone of course. It’ll just leave a better supply of physical OMNY cards available for those who prefer it…

looking forward to what the next 6 months bring to the system.

Edited by rwes

1 hour ago, rwes said:

Wife and I use OMNY regularly with phone and watch and I’ll say it hasn’t disappointed yet (except when she’s had her phone upside down once or twice). Do you use a case, and if so, might it be that? Or do you tap elsewhere with your phone w/o issues?

What annoys me the most are that my employers transit card provider still hasn’t began issuing contactless cards (or added support for adding to mobile device wallet) and all the 2.75 transactions on my statements. :) would really like to be able to top up/off some card (physical or virtual) which I would then use.

with the chip shortages mentioned, I do hope that forces the mobile wallet virtual card back into the picture (if there isn’t an equivalent option with the OMNY app itself). It doesn’t have to be for everyone of course. It’ll just leave a better supply of physical OMNY cards available for those who prefer it…

looking forward to what the next 6 months bring to the system.

I use my phone (Android, no case) in coffee shops, Whole Foods, and just about everywhere else where contactless payments are accepted with no issue. Most of the places use Square for payment, so that is pretty much good with everything contactless I use (cards, phone, etc.). It's only OMNY that I have issues with, so I just use contactless cards now. I do have Apple devices, but not an iPhone, but even so, I hear other people with iPhones have the same issues I do so it is definitely a OMNY issue. It must have communication problems that the contactless cards don't. I may get an iPhone for the hell of it though for another phone line and test it out.

As for a physical OMNY contactless card, that is coming. I just posted in my advocacy group about WageWorks and TransitChek as well the other day. It appears that a rollout is or will happen soon depending on who your employer uses, so I would definitely inquire. The plan is to ramp up as we go along. The unlimited passes and all of that will come soon too. If it weren't for COVID, we would be further along, but that's why things are delayed. I just had a few contactless cards sent to me by the card issuers and I have a few I have linked to OMNY, this way I can track everything, and if one malfunctions, which happened to me earlier on with OMNY, I have the card issuer send out a new card immediately.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 6/26/2021 at 11:59 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I just posted in my advocacy group about WageWorks and TransitChek as well the other day. It appears that a rollout is or will happen soon depending on who your employer uses, so I would definitely inquire. The plan is to ramp up as we go along. The unlimited passes and all of that will come soon too.

Any word on Edenred (another big transit benefit provider) and when they will offer a contactless card or integration?

Regarding unlimited passes, explicit mention of them was scrubbed from the OMNY site faq in January. Those are definitely still coming later, right?

59 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Any word on Edenred (another big transit benefit provider) and when they will offer a contactless card or integration?

Regarding unlimited passes, explicit mention of them was scrubbed from the OMNY site faq in January. Those are definitely still coming later, right?

I would have to inquire. I actually just saw it mentioned and asked and the (MTA) responded. I think we will see and hear more about a lot of things OMNY related come the Fall. That seems to be when they are looking to ramp up things.

1 hour ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

About the unlimited passes.  Hopefully we still have it because the MTA in the beginning of the year when they were about to raise the fares they said they "might" eliminate it.  I am thinking they can still stick with unlimited fares with the Metro Card but when we switch to OMNY they will eliminate that I hope I am wrong.  Re guarding about the Edenred I don't know perhaps someone know because I did not hear anything about it.  Let's see in July meeting what they talk about.

13 minutes ago, Amtrak41 said:

If OMNY is incapable of handling unlimited, or used as an excuse to kill Unlimited, then OMNY should die. 

Well it's MTA decisions to implement or not but I think they will "keep the same as Metro card".  If they keep saying "no one is using the unlimited option anymore then they will eliminate that.  You can write to the MTA or call them to find out.

Edited by mikecintel

43 minutes ago, Amtrak41 said:

If OMNY is incapable of handling unlimited, or used as an excuse to kill Unlimited, then OMNY should die. 

OMNY is fully capable of handling unlimited passes and a host of other options. That's the whole point. It's an open platform that gives the (MTA) a host of options to choose from. They can do time based options, passes, etc. and people can refill remotely. Commuters will no longer have to go to a subway station to refill, which is a must with the Metrocard.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

OMNY is fully capable of handling unlimited passes and a host of other options. That's the whole point. It's an open platform that gives the (MTA) a host of options to choose from. They can do time based options, passes, etc. and people can refill remotely. Commuters will no longer have to go to a subway station to refill, which is a must with the Metrocard.

Or they can refill it in the retail store which is good because let's say if the machines are not working they go to to the stores to refill it.

On 6/19/2021 at 6:55 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Metrocards are great for customers because the more you use them, the cheaper each ride is, but that obviously means less revenue for the (MTA) , so all of this has to be considered.

I really hate hearing about the MTA's revenue stream issues when I see nothing done about rampant fare beating.  Has there been a promotion for the past year where construction workers ride for free at the Hudson Yards entrance on 35th Street?  How about the A/C/E entrance on 35th and 8th?  How about any entrance in the system without a booth where one guy jumps the turnstile and opens the gate for his five buddies?

30 minutes ago, BillAv said:

I really hate hearing about the MTA's revenue stream issues when I see nothing done about rampant fare beating.  Has there been a promotion for the past year where construction workers ride for free at the Hudson Yards entrance on 35th Street?  How about the A/C/E entrance on 35th and 8th?  How about any entrance in the system without a booth where one guy jumps the turnstile and opens the gate for his five buddies?

And what should the (MTA) do? They depend on the City to provide NYPD officers to address the problem... 

12 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Can't really do that with all these activists trying to get every cop fired who try to enforce the fare.

That's another point, but my point is the (MTA) relies on the City to send the NYPD into the subways to address farebeating. (MTA) Police is not responsible for the subways and hasn't been for years. The (MTA) had been asking for more police from the City for months, primarily because of the increase in violent crime and concerns from commuters, not really because of the farebeating concerns. De Blasio had been making every excuse in the book, playing down the crime issues and claiming he would send more of them, but most commuters were reporting that they didn't see a difference. Now supposedly there are more of them patrolling, but they're not going to be at every turnstile, so people just take advantage. My subway usage started ticking downward a few years ago when service became unbearable in terms of reliability (switched to Uber), but prior to that the farebeating was rampant. I would constantly see people walking through the gates or whatever, and back then I was only taking the subway for short distances in Manhattan a few times a week tops. Now I hardly even use public transportation (express bus a few times a week max). I think I took the subway twice in the past month (once at 72nd to 42nd) and once at Bryant Park to Hudson Yards, and there were cops present at both stations, which is probably why there was no one hopping.