April 2019 Bus Route & Schedule Changes

Here's the changes in routes and service occurring either April 21st (Bronx, Queens) or April 28th (Staten Island):

The Bronx

BxM11 - Cost Neutral Practices (Service Cut North of Gun Hill Road)

• Service north of Gun Hill Road will operate every 15 minutes instead of every 8 minutes between 6:45 AM and 7:45 AM.
  • Short-turns will now start at Gun Hill between 6:52 AM and 7:45 AM.
  • Buses starting in Wakefield will skip the Bronx Zoo stop between 6:45 AM and 7:45 AM.

Queens

Q33 - Weekday AM Service Increases

• Service towards Jackson Heights will operate every 5 minutes instead of every 6 minutes from 6:45 AM to 7:15 AM.

Q66 - Weekday AM Service Redistribution

• Service towards Woodside will operate at a constant 5 minute headway between 6:15 AM and 7:10 AM instead of every 8 minutes from 6:15-6:38 AM, and every 3 minutes from 6:38-7:10 AM.
  • Southbound service between Woodside and Long Island City will operate every 10-15 minutes during the same period, instead of every 8-20 minutes.

Q70 SBS - Weekday AM Service Increases

• Service from 5:40 AM to 7:40 AM will operate every 8-10 minutes instead of every 10-15 minutes.

Q100 - Weekday AM Service Increases

• A new 6:50 AM trip has been added from Steinway towards Long Island City.
  • The 7:00 AM trip originating in Steinway will now depart at 7:05 AM.
  • The 7:20 AM trip originating in Rikers Island will now be split into a 7:15 AM bus and a 7:25 AM bus.

Q104 - Weekday AM Service Increase

• The 7:30 AM trip from Sunnyside will be split into a 7:25 AM and a 7:35 AM trip. 

QM5 - Cost Neutral Practices

• A new weekday 5:30 AM trip from Glen Oaks will be added.
  • The 6:20 AM and 6:30 AM trips from Glen Oaks will be consolidated into a 6:25 AM trip.

QM7 - Service Span Increase

• The first bus from Fresh Meadows will now depart at 5:40 AM (instead of 6:00 AM).

Staten Island

SIM1C - Net Service Increases

• Weekday inbound service from 8:22-9:35 AM will operate every 8-9 minutes instead of every 10-15 minutes.
  • The 8:38 PM Outbound bus from Central Park South will now depart at 8:40 PM.
  • The 8:46 PM Outbound bus from Central Park South will be eliminated.
  • Outbound service from 9:02 PM-9:50 PM will operate every 12 minute instead of every 10 minutes.
  • Outbound service from 11:14 PM-12:06 AM will operate every 10- minutes instead of every 12 minutes.
  • Less Outbound service from 12:15-1:15 AM

SIM2 - Additional AM Service

• Service from 5:45-6:15 AM will operate every 10-15 minutes instead of every 15-20 minutes.

SIM3, SIM3C - Weekday Service Reductions

• Outbound Service operates every 12-15 minutes in the PM rush instead of every 10-12 minutes (SIM3).
  • The 9:35 AM and 9:55 AM inbound trips will be consolidated into a 9:45 AM trip (SIM3C).
  • The 6:25 PM and 6:40 PM outbound trips will be consolidated into a 6:35 PM trip (SIM3C).
  • Evening service will now depart Central Park South at :15, :35, :55, instead of :00, :20, :40 

SIM4 - Weekday Service Increases

• The first trip from Annadale will now depart at 5:10 AM instead of 5:15 AM.
  • More frequent service will be provided in the AM rush.
  • PM service from 4-5 PM will operate every 8 minutes instead of every 10 minutes.

SIM4C - Weekday Service Increases

• A new 2:00 PM outbound trip from Central Park South will be added.
  • The 2:30 PM outbound trip will now depart Central Park South at 2:20 PM.
  • The 3:24 PM trip outbound trip from Downtown will now originate from Central Park South at 2:35 PM.

SIM5 - Additional AM Service

• The 7:07 AM inbound trip will now be split into a 7:05 AM and 7:11 AM trip
  • The 7:15 AM inbound trip will now depart at 7:17 AM

SIM6 - Cost Neutral Practices

• Service will operate every 4 minutes instead of every 3 minutes from 6:00-6:45 AM.
  • Additional outbound trips from Central Park South will be added at 2:00 PM and 2:15 PM.
  • Less frequent service between 5:37 PM and 6:03 PM.

SIM10 - Additional PM Service

• Service will operate every 12 minutes between 2 and 3 PM, instead of every 15 minutes.

SIM11 - AM service Reduction

• Less Frequent Service from 7:20 AM to 9:00 AM

SIM25, SIM26 - AM Service Additions

• More frequent service between 7:00 AM and 8:00 AM

SIM30 - Cost Neutral Practices

• The 5:23 AM inbound trip from Sunnyside will be split into a 5:15 AM and 5:30 AM trip.
  • The 7:38 AM and 7:50 AM inbound trips from Sunnyside will be consolidated into a 7:45 AM trip.

SIM32 - PM Service Span Increase

• The last outbound bus departing Warren Street will now depart at 7:05 PM (previously 6:45 PM). 

26 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

That BxM11 change probably saves a whole $60 a day. Maybe 3 gallons of gas per bus.

Penny pinchers, I tell ya...

It's like a trade, supper express service but your service is cut in half. If the super express buses are just skipping the Bronx Zoo stop however, it's a cut.

33 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

It doesn't explicitly say it IIRC, it's just people calling them sx bc those runs happen to skip a stop

On 4/19/2019 at 10:14 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Here's the changes in routes and service occurring either April 21st (Bronx, Queens) or April 28th (Staten Island):

The Bronx

BxM11 - Cost Neutral Practices (Service Cut North of Gun Hill Road)

• Service north of Gun Hill Road will operate every 15 minutes instead of every 8 minutes between 6:45 AM and 7:45 AM.
  • Short-turns will now start at Gun Hill between 6:52 AM and 7:45 AM.
  • Buses starting in Wakefield will skip the Bronx Zoo stop between 6:45 AM and 7:45 AM.

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

That BxM11 change probably saves a whole $60 a day. Maybe 3 gallons of gas per bus.

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

.. and you wonder why Express bus service on the West side of the Bronx is s***. 

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

It's like a trade, supper express service but your service is cut in half. If the super express buses are just skipping the Bronx Zoo stop however, it's a cut.

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

If I had to guess it's nonstop Gun Hill-Manhattan. 

39 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Where does it say that those AM BxM11 trips in question are Sx trips?

33 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

It doesn't explicitly say it IIRC, it's just people calling them sx bc those runs happen to skip a stop

Those BxM11 trips are indeed Super Express trips. We discussed it in our group when the schedules came out. They existed a while ago, and I saw the signage the other day as I was walking to my office.  It reads "via Bronx River Parkway" (abbreviated of course), "via 5 Av" instead of the "via Bronx Zoo" "via 5 Av".  They run from Wakefield to Gun Hill Rd, right on Gun Hill Rd and then onto the Bronx River Parkway until it reaches 98th and 5th.  I think they did this for two reasons... One, the trip from Wakefield down to Pelham Parkway can take a quite a while because of the overhead subway, and they had this service pattern years ago, but they cut it due to low ridership.  This could make service quicker and more attractive for the people north of Gun Hill Road.

There are also quite a bit of people that come from just over the border in Mount Vernon and use the BxM11 similar to what the people in Yonkers do with the BxM4. With the closing of the Sheridan coming soon, I imagine they will be looking at the other BxM lines as well that use that in some way and seeing how to make service more efficient.  If you look at BusTime it shows the change as well.  The same service exists for the BxM1 and BxM3, both of which are Super Express patterns and those trips usually see good usage. 

Speaking of the Sheridan Expressway, I was a part of a Transit Round Table which I shared a few weeks ago, and we have been discussing all of the BxM express bus lines and the expressways that they use and how to move them, so you should definitely expect more changes in the near future, and not just because of the redesign either.  I have been in talks with former councilman James Vacca who was also at the Transit Round Table. I am not in the picture. I was in the meeting via FaceTime from my office.

56547422_10216246747013801_3475379388646

As for who is in the photo, there's an (MTA) rep that deals with community affairs who I have met several times, another (MTA) rep that handles the Bronx express buses who I have spoke with via conference call, Senator Biaggi, and other Bronx officials either from community boards or former elected officials, such as James Vacca.

58376807_10216390900297543_2016891396383

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Those BxM11 trips are indeed Super Express trips. We discussed it in our group when the schedules came out. They existed a while ago, and I saw the signage the other day as I was walking to my office.  It reads "via Bronx River Parkway" (abbreviated of course), "via 5 Av" instead of the "via Bronx Zoo" "via 5 Av".  They run from Wakefield to Gun Hill Rd, right on Gun Hill Rd and then onto the Bronx River Parkway until it reaches 98th and 5th.  I think they did this for two reasons... One, the trip from Wakefield down to Pelham Parkway can take a quite a while because of the overhead subway, and they had this service pattern years ago, but they cut it due to low ridership.  This could make service quicker and more attractive for the people north of Gun Hill Road.

There are also quite a bit of people that come from just over the boarder in Mount Vernon and use the BxM11 similar to what the people in Yonkers do with the BxM4. With the closing of the Sheridan coming soon, I imagine they will be looking at the other BxM lines as well that use that in some way and seeing how to make service more efficient.  If you look at BusTime it shows the change as well.  The same service exists for the BxM1 and BxM3, both of which are Super Express patterns and those trips usually see good usage.

This would have to be passed by Westchester county of course, but maybe at least in peak direction we could extend some super express BxM11 trips to Mount Vernon MNRR station. I don't expect this to pass but it's just a thought.

11 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

This would have to be passed by Westchester county of course, but maybe at least in peak direction we could extend some super express BxM11 trips to Mount Vernon MNRR station. I don't expect this to pass but it's just a thought.

The BxM11 does fine as it is. I have used the line a lot from Pelham Parkway and all the way up to the last stop.  The people in Mount Vernon generally live just over the boarder and they walk over to the first stop there near to White Plains Rd and 241st.  As I said, the real issue was the ongoing congestion under the (2)(5) . The trips take longer and longer from Wakefield, so this is a way to make those trips a bit faster. You really don't need that much service from Wakefield, so while it may seem like a service cut, it is cost neutral and provides a faster ride to Manhattan assuming of course that the Bronx River Parkway isn't backed up.  Off-peak you can usually run the buses the entire way and you should because the BxM11 gets A LOT of ridership from Pelham Parkway (the neighborhood, and Pelham Parkway and Thwaites the actual stop). The last few stops before the Bronx Zoo, AND the Bronx Zoo are big generators for the line.  Sundays, the early trips to the Bronx really fill up with the Bronx Zoo goers.

The Bronx Zoo also advertises the BxM11 which stops right in front of the Bronx Zoo going back to Manhattan and very close by going to the Bronx, a lot closer than the subway does, and it is faster too.

@MysteriousBtrain Even if the (MTA) considered it, it would be a waste, as those Super express buses can't compete with the MNR service.  There are express trains that I use from Grand Central to Fleetwood that get you there in about 25 minutes. The BxM11 could never compete with that. It's basically one stop at 125th and then straight to Westchester.

51 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I'm assuming you meant MNRR Mt. Vernon West... You may as well keep buses terminating at 241st - Wakefield if that's the case... For reasons VG8 already mentioned, and that's not the part of Mt. Vernon those that do take the BxM11 emanate from anyway....

Although Westchester patrons that do take the BxM11 come from the east, to literally run (any) amount of trips up to Petrillo Plaza (Mt. Vernon East) would be a bit much & not all that worth it..... People over there are too busy trying to get to Yonkers, New Roc', or White Plains.....

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There are also quite a bit of people that come from just over the border in Mount Vernon and use the BxM11 similar to what the people in Yonkers do with the BxM4. With the closing of the Sheridan coming soon, I imagine they will be looking at the other BxM lines as well that use that in some way and seeing how to make service more efficient.  If you look at BusTime it shows the change as well.  The same service exists for the BxM1 and BxM3, both of which are Super Express patterns and those trips usually see good usage. 

If this is the case, they need to denote that. The way they scheduled it between timepoints along with the lack of any indication on the timetable, suggest that buses are alternating between starting in Wakefield or at Gun Hill Road, with no trips going express after Gun Hill Road. If you didn't point out the Bustime routing, I would have never guessed that was the case (even though I remember those Super Express trips).

3 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Even with the Super Express trips, it'll still be cost neutral because the headways are now split between short-turns and the Super Express trips. IDK how I feel about that, especially having 15 minute headways on the trips from Gun Hill Road, since south of Gun Hill is where more of the ridership comes from. Hopefully this can boost ridership to where more service is added though. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Speaking of the Sheridan Expressway, I was a part of a Transit Round Table which I shared a few weeks ago, and we have been discussing all of the BxM express bus lines and the expressways that they use and how to move them, so you should definitely expect more changes in the near future, and not just because of the redesign either.  I have been in talks with former councilman James Vacca who was also at the Transit Round Table. I am not in the picture. I was in the meeting via FaceTime from my office.

56547422_10216246747013801_3475379388646

As for who is in the photo, there's an (MTA) rep that deals with community affairs who I have met several times, another (MTA) rep that handles the Bronx express buses who I have spoke with via conference call, Senator Biaggi, and other Bronx officials either from community boards or former elected officials, such as James Vacca.

Sherian is being closed? Why?

17 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

If this is the case, they need to denote that. The way they scheduled it between timepoints along with the lack of any indication on the timetable, suggest that buses are alternating between starting in Wakefield or at Gun Hill Road, with no trips going express after Gun Hill Road. If you didn't point out the Bustime routing, I would have never guessed that was the case (even though I remember those Super Express trips).

Even with the Super Express trips, it'll still be cost neutral because the headways are now split between short-turns and the Super Express trips. IDK how I feel about that, especially having 15 minute headways on the trips from Gun Hill Road, since south of Gun Hill is where more of the ridership comes from. Hopefully this can boost ridership to where more service is added though. 

They should, but they don't do it with the BxM3 trips either.  The signage is exactly the same for both, with no notation of any sort of Super Express. I have taken those Super Express BxM3 trips often when I need to refill. I walk down to Broadway and 242nd and refill, and then walk to 246th and Broadway.  Those buses are packed and that's the last stop before it gets on the Deegan, so it works out nicely for me.  I wonder how they will do the layover there though. With the BxM3 split, the ones that start at Bailey will lay over right at 246th and Broadway, then go over to Broadway and Van Cortlandt to start their pick-up.  Those I'm sure will just come right over from Yonkers Depot.  With the BxM11s though, they will start at Gun Hill Rd which is where the congestion isn't as bad. North of that it can be a pain because the street is narrower in parts because of the overhead subway, though this is also true to an extent south of Gun Hill as well.

I agree with you though... It's a trade off, but as we both know, most of the BxM11 ridership is down in Pelham Parkway, between the Pelham Parkway residents and the Bronx Zoo folks. It's always been like that, but there is definitely a sizable amount of ridership north of Gun Hill Road as well, so you can appease those riders with these Super Express trips.  What's interesting is a lot of the later BxM11 trips get a lot of ridership from the people in Wakefield and just over the border. Because the (2)(5) run so poorly, those people that work at night will get that 11pm BxM11 down or some of the other late buses. Sure as hell beats crawling on the subway up there.

Just now, Lawrence St said:

Yes, decommissioned... Folks in the surrounding neighborhoods have complained about the car pollution in the area for years because of the expressway. The South Bronx has some of the highest asthma rates in the City, if not in the country, so the decision was made to close that off and make more of it green space where possible.  A lot of the expressways cut through the South Bronx which means a lot of pollution. The Bruckner, the Sheridan, the Bronx River, Cross Bronx, etc.

@BM5 via Woodhaven Funny thing is though they have tinkering with the BxM11 for a while.  It used to be that alternate trips would serve the Bronx Zoo off-peak, but they changed that to have ALL BxM11s make the Bronx Zoo stop because off-peak they realized they could get those buses fuller with the Bronx Zoo people.  Then they also got a lot of pissed off Pelham Parkway riders who yelled non-stop about them removing that pick-up stop south of Pelham Parkway North. They put that back too if you notice because the people by Bronx Park East use the express bus a lot and they would have to walk up by Thwaites to get it.  Now they have a shorter walk.

22 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes, decommissioned... Folks in the surrounding neighborhoods have complained about the car pollution in the area for years because of the expressway. The South Bronx has some of the highest asthma rates in the City, if not in the country, so the decision was made to close that off and make more of it green space where possible.  A lot of the expressways cut through the South Bronx which means a lot of pollution. The Bruckner, the Sheridan, the Bronx River, Cross Bronx, etc.

They want to get rid of 895.  Very interesting Throfare. I could see traffic issues in that area. However, I get the heath concerns of the people in that part of the Bronx. 

32 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I remember those old Sx trips also, but with the way service is structured now (there were never any trips that officially ended at Gun Hill rd. way back when), there shouldn't have to be any guessing as to what trips do what, to begin with.....

There has been talks many moons ago (since the 90's) about wanting to cut trips north of Gun Hill & they've finally done it.

4 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I remember those old Sx trips also, but with the way service is structured now (there were never any trips that officially ended at Gun Hill rd. way back when), there shouldn't have to be any guessing as to what trips do what, to begin with.....

There has been talks many moons ago (since the 90's) about wanting to cut trips north of Gun Hill & they've finally done it.

Well if you see what the BxM11s look like now, you'd see why. lol Weekday ridership is dropping, but weekend ridership has remained stable and is growing in part because of the Bronx Zoo people.  The way I see it, this is the last push to get more people back on the BxM11 during the rush, and they can also cut service north of Gun Hill if these buses don't perform, because as we both know, overall, there is more ridership down in Pelham Parkway.

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

They want to get rid of 895.  Very interesting Throfare. I could see traffic issues in that area. However, I get the heath concerns of the people in that part of the Bronx. 

Cuomo agreed to it a while ago so, it's pretty much a done deal. Just counting down the time now...

9 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

AFAIC, this isn't much more than a ploy to raise property values & to make the Bronx as a whole (South Bronx "SoBro" in-particular) more attractive to outsiders....

Air pollution is an issue, but I personally don't buy that as a reason they're now, all of a sudden, going through with demolishing & reconfiguring the Sheridan (Sheridan Blvd, or whatever they plan on calling it)....

Edited by B35 via Church

Just now, B35 via Church said:

AFAIC, this isn't much more than a ploy to raise property values & to make the Bronx as a whole (South Bronx "SoBro" in-particular) more attractive to outsiders....

Air pollution is an issue, but I personally don't buy that as a reason they're now, finally going through with demolishing & reconfiguring the Sheridan (Sheridan Blvd, or whatever they play on calling it)....

The real question is what will replace it...

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2017/03/20/cuomo-moves-to-tear-down-the-sheridan-expressway-starting-in-2018/

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2017/06/30/cuomos-sheridan-expressway-plan-is-not-what-the-south-bronx-asked-for/

49 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

45 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's also worth noting that the Sheridan has extremely low usage due to its short length and its proximity to the Bronx River Pkwy. There was supposed to be a longer highway down Boston Road to the NE Thruway, but that was never built.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

As I said, the real issue was the ongoing congestion under the (2)(5) . 

Which should also help those south of Gun Hill Road. Less opportunity for buses to get delayed if they're only coming from Gun Hill Road.

BTW the BxM7 also has super-express trips in the AM.

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Maybe it saves a little bit (since the super-express buses and short-turns both have shorter runtimes than full-length trips)

BTW it looks like they're trying to shift some ridership to the North Shore routes (SIM3C/33C) from the SIM1C. Makes sense because a SIM1C rider in a hurry can take the SIM3C/33C to the S79 whereas a North Shore rider doesn't have as many options (the S93 is generally less frequent than the S79 and doesn't go as far north/west as the express buses do)