Bronx Redesign Draft Released

3 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I was featured in the webinar and I told them within two minutes what i thought needed to happen to the 16 when it came to two bus stop consolidations and a stop relocation. I wanted to add more, but I somehow blacked out.

Yes, the quality of the video feed wasn't the best.. However, alot of people pointed out some good parts of the re-design.  The whole Co-op City, Pelham Bay, City Island thing threw me in a loop and the Bx30 serving more of Boston Road is definitely a good thing going into Co-op and NE Bronx. I have mixed feelings about the Soundview Bx6. Although, the service is more direct but it makes the route a bit longer IMO.  I definitely see some depot re-alignments as a result of the plan.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

Yes, the quality of the video feed wasn't the best.. However, a lot of people pointed out some good parts of the re-design.  The whole Co-op City, Pelham Bay, City Island thing threw me in a loop and the Bx30 serving more of Boston Road is definitely a good thing going into Co-op and NE Bronx. I have mixed feelings about the Soundview Bx6. Although, the service is more direct but it makes the route a bit longer IMO.  I definitely see some depot re-alignments as a result of the plan.

I hope the 6 stays put with the Coliseum, and i do not think the 18 is going to be moved from its home by 215. The 19 really needs to be split rather than the 15. I suspect that their 125 plan would send that crosstown line to 132 and be using standard 40ft coaches. It would likely be like how the 15 ran before with standard 40ft CNG buses before the conversion to mostly articulated coach operation with the 55's significant reduction (I still believe the 55 should come back to run from 211 to 149 at least daytime and evening). If they can revive the 25 to follow the 26's original path, there should be no reason not to revive the 55.

2 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I hope the 6 stays put with the Coliseum, and i do not think the 18 is going to be moved from its home by 215. The 19 really needs to be split rather than the 15. I suspect that their 125 plan would send that crosstown line to 132 and be using standard 40ft coaches. It would likely be like how the 15 ran before with standard 40ft CNG buses before the conversion to mostly articulated coach operation with the 55's significant reduction (I still believe the 55 should come back to run from 211 to 149 at least daytime and evening). If they can revive the 25 to follow the 26's original path, there should be no reason not to revive the 55.

There needs to be more enforcement in Harlem.. Period. No need to split the 15.  I agree with you with bring the 55 back and having it's limited component back. Extend the 55 to 233rd- Woodlawn MNRR- (Bx31), Nereid Ave, or even Wakefield Ave (Metro North) to 149 with the SBS/Limited component providing additional service to NE Bronx segment of Webster Ave/Bronx River Road.

If I was the (MTA), I would’ve created high number routes as Spurs to secondary local routes. Keep the SBS as it is. 
Ass for Co-op City, you mentioned the Bx23 & the Bx29. Remember: you have 5 routes serving the area from different locations. They’re not all coming from the same spot. 
Riverdale area needs another bus route for alternate to those that serve Fieldstone Rd. That area lost service since the (Bx24) was discontinued in 1995. But the question is: why cut the Bx6SBS from HP to Soundview? 

2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I just thought of something. Mott Haven is in the infant stages of gentrification. Is the proposed combo of bus routes (Bx1,2,21,32,33,M125, also the Bx17 not too far away) going to be sufficient for everybody in 5-10 years?

If it is gentrified, the people coming in won't be using local buses like that. Look at other areas that have been gentrified. For the most part, higher income people use everything but local bus service.

9 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

The 55’s elimination always made no sense to me, once going from the only overnight limited bus (I believe), to being an after thought. The “dwindling” ridership was because of the dwindling service they gave us on the line. The 55 now can definitely run to anywhere between 238th and Gun Hill on WP, to 136 and Lincoln via Web and 3rd as a limited (or maybe even SBS), but knowing the MTA, we all know what’s gonna happen (I see them in coming years, cutting more limited service for local on the Bx15).

5 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Riverdale area needs another bus route for alternate to those that serve Fieldstone Rd. That area lost service since the (Bx24) was discontinued in 1995. 

Fieldstone Rd? lol Anyway, I live about 10 minutes walking from Fieldston and go for walks regularly there. No one in Fieldston is asking for local bus service. 

10 minutes ago, NBTA said:

The 55’s elimination always made no sense to me, once going from the only overnight limited bus (I believe), to being an after thought. The “dwindling” ridership was because of the dwindling service they gave us on the line. The 55 now can definitely run to anywhere between 238th and Gun Hill on WP, to 136 and Lincoln via Web and 3rd as a limited (or maybe even SBS), but knowing the MTA, we all know what’s gonna happen (I see them in coming years, cutting more limited service for local on the Bx15).

How bout having the 55 do a full route: 136th and Lincoln to Webster/233rd (Woodlawn MNRR) or Wakefield 241 (2) via Webster. Re-instate it’s limited component and run overnight.  Gun Hill & WBP have more of a fair share of bus service. This 55 would be more direct for anyone in Woodlawn and or Wakefield to use as an alternative to the Bx39 and other buses where u have to transfer to get crosstown. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

5 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

But the question is: why cut the Bx6SBS from HP to Soundview? 

It’s more of an extension between Hunts Point and Soundview from what I gathered from the video. The 6 already suffers from traffic issues and I get that TA wants to tap in more into the Central Bronx network but at what cost for Soundview riders wanting a 1 seat ride into Harlem-Hamilton Heights? 

I believe the local will continue to serve Hunts Point  

Cant wait for the Queens/Brooklyn re-design plans.  

Edited by Future ENY OP

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

How bout having the 55 do a full route: 136th and Lincoln to Webster/233rd (Woodlawn MNRR) or Wakefield 241 (2) via Webster. Re-instate it’s limited component and run overnight.  Gun Hill & WBP have more of a fair share of bus service. This 55 would be more direct for anyone in Woodlawn and or Wakefield to use as an alternative to the Bx39 and other buses where u have to transfer to get crosstown. 

Not a terrible idea but Webster currently has all-day SBS service from Williamsbridge to 149 via the Bx41. I'd basically combine the old Bx55 with a new northern segment. The route would have stops at 3 Av/138 St, 3 Av/149 St/The Hub, 3 Av/156 St, 3 Av/163 St, 3 Av/168-169 Sts, 3 Av/Claremont Pkwy, 3 Av/Tremont Av, 3 Av/180 St, 3 Av/183 St-St Barnabas, Fordham Plaza, Webster Av/Bedford Park Blvd, Webster Av/204 St, Williamsbridge, Bronxwood Av/Gun Hill Rd, Bronxwood Av/219 St, Bronxwood Av/225 St, Bronxwood Av/233 St, White Plains Rd/233 St, Webster Av/233 St, Katonah Av/233 St, Katonah Av/237 St, and Katonah Av/242 St. I'm avoiding Webster above Williamsbridge because there's basically nothing along Webster between 233 St and Gun Hill Rd except for a few apartment buildings all within easy walking distance of Williamsbridge proper. The Bronxwood Av routing keeps the bus on wide streets without a ton of traffic, remains within a 5 min walk of White Plains Rd as far up as 233 St without running into the traffic issues under the El, offers transfers to the (2)(5) and Harlem Line at both Woodlawn and Wakefield, restores the one-seat ride to the southwestern Bronx that Williamsbridge and Wakefield used to have, offers that same one-seat ride to Woodlawn, and generally provides a much larger catchment area than a run on Webster would.

Serving Webster (if needed) would probably be best accomplished with a Bx56 from Norwood to Ropes Av via Bainbridge, Gun Hill Rd, Webster Av, 233 St, Dyre Av, and Boston Rd; that would give the patch of 233 St between Katonah Av and Baychester Av a one-seat ride to 6 Av, and would capture from the Bx16 anyone from east of Baychester Av going to the (2), (D), or Harlem Line; that way, even if nobody ever used the stops I'm proposing at Selby Transportation and 3556 Webster it wouldn't matter because the route pulls enough ridership to sustain itself otherwise.

Edited by engineerboy6561

14 minutes ago, engineerboy6561 said:

Not a terrible idea but Webster currently has all-day SBS service from Williamsbridge to 149 via the Bx41. I'd basically combine the old Bx55 with a new northern segment. The route would have stops at 3 Av/138 St, 3 Av/149 St/The Hub, 3 Av/156 St, 3 Av/163 St, 3 Av/168-169 Sts, 3 Av/Claremont Pkwy, 3 Av/Tremont Av, 3 Av/180 St, 3 Av/183 St-St Barnabas, Fordham Plaza, Webster Av/Bedford Park Blvd, Webster Av/204 St, Williamsbridge, Bronxwood Av/Gun Hill Rd, Bronxwood Av/219 St, Bronxwood Av/225 St, Bronxwood Av/233 St, White Plains Rd/233 St, Webster Av/233 St, Katonah Av/233 St, Katonah Av/237 St, and Katonah Av/242 St. I'm avoiding Webster above Williamsbridge because there's basically nothing along Webster between 233 St and Gun Hill Rd except for a few apartment buildings all within easy walking distance of Williamsbridge proper. The Bronxwood Av routing keeps the bus on wide streets without a ton of traffic, remains within a 5 min walk of White Plains Rd as far up as 233 St without running into the traffic issues under the El, offers transfers to the (2)(5) and Harlem Line at both Woodlawn and Wakefield, restores the one-seat ride to the southwestern Bronx that Williamsbridge and Wakefield used to have, offers that same one-seat ride to Woodlawn, and generally provides a much larger catchment area than a run on Webster would.

Serving Webster (if needed) would probably be best accomplished with a Bx56 from Norwood to Ropes Av via Bainbridge, Gun Hill Rd, Webster Av, 233 St, Dyre Av, and Boston Rd; that would give the patch of 233 St between Katonah Av and Baychester Av a one-seat ride to 6 Av, and would capture from the Bx16 anyone from east of Baychester Av going to the (2), (D), or Harlem Line; that way, even if nobody ever used the stops I'm proposing at Selby Transportation and 3556 Webster it wouldn't matter because the route pulls enough ridership to sustain itself otherwise.

I like your Bronxwood Avenue idea for the fact that it gives another layer to 233rd into Katonah. The only reason I like the Webster segment is b/c it’s streamlined and you don’t necessarily have to deal with the bottle neck af E. Gun Hill Road. But in all essence I’m in agreement with you for additional Bronx-wood Avenue bus service.  

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

I like your Bronxwood Avenue idea for the fact that it gives another layer to 233rd into Katonah. The only reason I like the Webster segment is b/c it’s streamlined and you don’t necessarily have to deal with the bottle neck af E. Gun Hill Road. But in all essence I’m in agreement with you for additional Bronx-wood Avenue bus service.  

Thanks! Here's a link to the map; I included the Bx56 Webster Av/233 St local on there as well; I'm not sure if it's actually needed but I figured people trying to go to and from the West Side in the NE Bronx would prefer a more direct, faster route to the (D) than the current Bx16 offers.  Bx55 and Bx56 map, including Bx55 proposed stops

22 minutes ago, engineerboy6561 said:

Thanks! Here's a link to the map; I included the Bx56 Webster Av/233 St local on there as well; I'm not sure if it's actually needed but I figured people trying to go to and from the West Side in the NE Bronx would prefer a more direct, faster route to the (D) than the current Bx16 offers.  Bx55 and Bx56 map, including Bx55 proposed stops

Your Bx55 stops is perfect.  25/26 stops in total is the perfect recipe for the route.  The current Bx16 does a good job. However, it needs to do better with coverage with the (D)   

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Your Bx55 stops is perfect.  25/26 stops in total is the perfect recipe for the route.  The current Bx16 does a good job. However, it needs to do better with coverage with the (D)   

Now all that's missing is the Bx41SBS to LGA (which they keep intermittently proposing and then not following through on), which this would actually make at least a bit easier. The Bx41 and Bx55 catchment areas overlap pretty heavily if you use Jarrett Walker's rough upper bound (he asserts that most people are willing to walk about 1/4 mile to a local bus route, and Webster and 3 Av are about 1100-1200 feet apart or less the entire way from Fordham Plaza to The Hub), and my Bx55 wouldn't be subject to highway or bridge traffic, so should be pretty reliable even during rush. Extending the Bx41 to LGA would provide a really important interborough connection, but Triboro traffic would likely drive line reliability down during rush. If the Bx41 SBS is the only fast service west of the Grand Concourse then that could be a serious issue; if the Bx55 comes back the way I laid it out then it's much less of a big deal because people between Webster and 3rd can take the Bx55 to go everywhere the Bx41SBS goes, and people coming from the western half of the Bx41's catchment area above 167 St are more likely to use the Bx1 to a crosstown bus anyway (given that there's a decent-sized elevation change just west of Webster Av all the way from Fordham Plaza to 169 St). That way people along the Webster-3 Av catchment area who need a reliable intra-Bronx local service can use the Bx41 local (which would still run just between The Hub and Williamsbridge), people who need a reliable intra-Bronx fast service can use the Bx55 LTD, and people who need interborough connections can use the Bx15 to Manhattan or the Bx41SBS to Queens.

4 minutes ago, engineerboy6561 said:

Now all that's missing is the Bx41 to LGA (which they keep intermittently proposing and then not following through on), which this would actually make at least a bit easier. The Bx41 and Bx55 catchment areas overlap pretty heavily if you use Jarrett Walker's rough upper bound (he asserts that most people are willing to walk about 1/4 mile to a local bus route, and Webster and 3 Av are about 1100-1200 feet apart or less the entire way from Fordham Plaza to The Hub), and my Bx55 wouldn't be subject to highway or bridge traffic, so should be pretty reliable even during rush. Extending the Bx41 to LGA would provide a really important interborough connection, but Triboro traffic would likely drive line reliability down during rush. If the Bx41 is the only fast service west of the Grand Concourse then that could be a serious issue; if the Bx55 comes back the way I laid it out then it's much less of a big deal because people between Webster and 3rd can take the Bx55 to go everywhere the Bx41SBS goes, and people coming from the western half of the Bx41's catchment area above 167 St are more likely to use the Bx1 to a crosstown bus anyway (given that there's a decent-sized elevation change just west of Webster Av all the way from Fordham Plaza to 169 St).

lol  That Bx41 extension came up yesterday. I think three people brought it up in the public comment segment. I wouldn't bank on it happening, as it would involve extending the route and probably increasing costs. In my mind, the (MTA) is focused on fewer stops, and shorter routes to make routes more reliable and thus bring down operating costs. That's the focus here. They talk a good game about connectivity, but that's an after thought overall. If they provide more connections with the current proposals, they'll play that up of course.

17 minutes ago, engineerboy6561 said:

Now all that's missing is the Bx41SBS to LGA (which they keep intermittently proposing and then not following through on), which this would actually make at least a bit easier. The Bx41 and Bx55 catchment areas overlap pretty heavily if you use Jarrett Walker's rough upper bound (he asserts that most people are willing to walk about 1/4 mile to a local bus route, and Webster and 3 Av are about 1100-1200 feet apart or less the entire way from Fordham Plaza to The Hub), and my Bx55 wouldn't be subject to highway or bridge traffic, so should be pretty reliable even during rush. Extending the Bx41 to LGA would provide a really important interborough connection, but Triboro traffic would likely drive line reliability down during rush. If the Bx41 SBS is the only fast service west of the Grand Concourse then that could be a serious issue; if the Bx55 comes back the way I laid it out then it's much less of a big deal because people between Webster and 3rd can take the Bx55 to go everywhere the Bx41SBS goes, and people coming from the western half of the Bx41's catchment area above 167 St are more likely to use the Bx1 to a crosstown bus anyway (given that there's a decent-sized elevation change just west of Webster Av all the way from Fordham Plaza to 169 St). That way people along the Webster-3 Av catchment area who need a reliable intra-Bronx local service can use the Bx41 local (which would still run just between The Hub and Williamsbridge), people who need a reliable intra-Bronx fast service can use the Bx55 LTD, and people who need interborough connections can use the Bx15 to Manhattan or the Bx41SBS to Queens.

LGA to The Bronx. Dead on arrival. It’s not happening and most certainly not for the future. Only realistic way that happens they get help from the feds and we know how that goes.  

LGA to The Bronx. Dead on arrival. It’s not happening and most certainly not for the future. Only realistic way that happens they get help from the feds and we know how that goes.  

I would agree from the body language the planners had when people mentioned it yesterday.  

19 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

lol  That Bx41 extension came up yesterday. I think three people brought it up in the public comment segment. I wouldn't bank on it happening, as it would involve extending the route and probably increasing costs. In my mind, the (MTA) is focused on fewer stops, and shorter routes to make routes more reliable and thus bring down operating costs. That's the focus here. They talk a good game about connectivity, but that's an after thought overall. If they provide more connections with the current proposals, they'll play that up of course.

That's too damn bad; it's a variant of the good/fast/cheap problem. You can have a reliable network for cheap if you keep all the routes short so that any spots that back up unpredictably are largely isolated and don't drag down reliability on the rest of the network, but covering any kind of decent distance is a two- or three-seat ride; similarly, you can have a comprehensive network for cheap if you have a ton of really long routes that cover everything, but then you have buses not showing up at Williamsbridge because there's an accident on the Triboro (or not showing up at West Farms or Jamaica because of nonsense on the Whitestone). If you want to have a network with decent reliability and comprehensive one-seat coverage you need a fair amount of either vehicle redundancy (strategically stashing dispatchers and extra buses on both sides of known chokepoints; for the Bx41 SBS to LGA that would look like having 3-4 buses waiting at 136 St/Lincoln Av or 149 St, and then having a dispatcher send them up Webster as SBS short-turns to fill gaps when traffic on the Triboro gets too bad, and for the Q44 it would be a couple spares at Lafayette Av to cover the Bronx segment of the route and a couple more at 14 Av to cover the Queens segment of the route) or route redundancy (see the overlapping catchment areas on the Bx41 and my Bx55; most people who would use the 41 SBS could use the Bx55 in a pinch in the Bronx, just as most people who would use the Bx15 could use the Bx41 local when 125 St and/or the Willis Av Bridge are being disasters). The downside of doing that is that extra buses cost money, and having standby drivers and dispatchers also costs money, so you wind up spending a fair amount more money upfront, even if you make a decent chunk of that back up in farebox recovery (and if the MTA doesn't want to invest in that unfortunately I can't make them).

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I would agree from the body language the planners had when people mentioned it yesterday.  

I definitely saw that in their body language. Their prime focus is Central Bronx and parts of NE Bronx. However, if we can put a good drilling to have the Bx55 back on 3rd Avenue than we can tap into that Bx15 corridor and introducing additional Bronxwood Avenue service into Woodlawn. The Bx8 currently covers up to 226th and that’s the bare minimum. 

5 minutes ago, engineerboy6561 said:

That's too damn bad; it's a variant of the good/fast/cheap problem. You can have a reliable network for cheap if you keep all the routes short so that any spots that back up unpredictably are largely isolated and don't drag down reliability on the rest of the network, but covering any kind of decent distance is a two- or three-seat ride; similarly, you can have a comprehensive network for cheap if you have a ton of really long routes that cover everything, but then you have buses not showing up at Williamsbridge because there's an accident on the Triboro (or not showing up at West Farms or Jamaica because of nonsense on the Whitestone). If you want to have a network with decent reliability and comprehensive one-seat coverage you need a fair amount of either vehicle redundancy (strategically stashing dispatchers and extra buses on both sides of known chokepoints; for the Bx41 SBS to LGA that would look like having 3-4 buses waiting at 136 St/Lincoln Av or 149 St, and then having a dispatcher send them out as SBS short-turns to fill gaps when traffic on the Triboro gets too bad, and for the Q44 it would be a couple spares at Lafayette Av to cover the Bronx segment of the route and a couple more at 14 Av to cover the Queens segment of the route) or route redundancy (see the overlapping catchment areas on the Bx41 and my Bx55; most people who would use the 41 SBS could use the Bx55 in a pinch in the Bronx, just as most people who would use the Bx15 could use the Bx41 local when 125 St and/or the Willis Av Bridge are being disasters). The downside of doing that is you wind up spending a fair amount more money upfront, even if you make a decent chunk of that back up in farebox recovery.

Something else to keep in mind... None of these increase in frequencies on the Bronx local bus lines are anything earth shattering from what I've seen.  If they extended the Bx41 to LGA, you'll need more buses and obviously more drivers for the increased service, and given the struggle they're still having with lines that only run once an hour, I don't see where they're going to get all of these bus operators from.  Yeah, I know they're going on a hiring frenzy now, but they lost a ton of bus operators primarily to retirement among other things, so they are still playing catch up.

I definitely saw that in their body language. Their prime focus is Central Bronx and parts of NE Bronx. However, if we can put a good drilling to have the Bx55 back on 3rd Avenue than we can tap into that Bx15 corridor and introducing additional Bronxwood Avenue service into Woodlawn. The Bx8 currently covers up to 226th and that’s the bare minimum. 

If they agree to anything, it could be something like having the M100 terminate at the 125th St (A)(B)(C)(D) station which was proposed by a few people yesterday instead of chopping the M100 off from 125th entirely... Stuff like that. I also don't see them going for keeping the Bx15 in tact. I think they would prefer to break the line up with that M125 line, even if that means people being forced to transfer. Someone that spoke last night made a good point... Some of these proposals will mean people having to transfer that previously had a one-seat ride, and they haven't made any mention of providing things like three-legged transfers.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Something else to keep in mind... None of these increase in frequencies on the Bronx local bus lines are anything earth shattering from what I've seen.  If they extended the Bx41 to LGA, you'll need more buses and obviously more drivers for the increased service, and given the struggle they're still having with lines that only run once an hour, I don't see where they're going to get all of these bus operators from.  Yeah, I know they're going on a hiring frenzy now, but they lost a ton of bus operators primarily to retirement among other things, so they are still playing catch up.

... and knowing the TA they will get those buses from Manhattan and Brooklyn to make up the dent in The Bronx if there’s any chance to have the Bx41 extended to LGA.  

6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

So realistically we're probably looking at at least a few months to build the driver ranks back up to a point where they have the people to reliably run full schedules as it is, which means a few more months beyond that point, so at least a year (and probably a few million more dollars) to hire enough operators for decent-sized service increases (and then once drivers cease to be the limiting factor for expansion the issue becomes making sure we have the vehicles to run expanded service without compromising the spare factor there too badly, because if that doesn't happen we'll wind up with better schedules on paper but overall the same or worse performance because of vehicle breakdowns and teething issues). And that assumes there's the political will to demand that from the MTA, and the general competence at the MTA to follow through.

1 minute ago, engineerboy6561 said:

So realistically we're probably looking at at least a few months to build the driver ranks back up to a point where they have the people to reliably run full schedules as it is, which means a few more months beyond that point, so at least a year (and probably a few million more dollars) to hire enough operators for decent-sized service increases (and then once drivers cease to be the limiting factor for expansion the issue becomes making sure we have the vehicles to run expanded service without compromising the spare factor there too badly.

This plan would be implemented for Summer of 2022, so I sincerely hope by then that we'll have enough bus operators. It's still a struggle.  On Sundays and Mondays in particular, the cancellations have been pretty bad.

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If they agree to anything, it could be something like having the M100 terminate at the 125th St (A)(B)(C)(D) station which was proposed by a few people yesterday instead of chopping the M100 off from 125th entirely... Stuff like that. I also don't see them going for keeping the Bx15 in tact. I think they would prefer to break the line up with that M125 line, even if that means people being forced to transfer. Someone that spoke last night made a good point... Some of these proposals will mean people having to transfer that previously had a one-seat ride, and they haven't made any mention of providing things like three-legged transfers.

Personally, from my trips to Harlem the M100 is not the problem and the Bx15 isn’t the problem. It’s lack of enforcement by PD. If those bus lanes were to see better enforcement we wouldn’t suggest a splitting the Bx15.  My bigger issue is the Bx19 and that’s entirely another post for another day.