Bronx Redesign Draft Released

21 minutes ago, Mpn4179 said:

The M125 will most likely go to KB or WF.

Quill will not get it because all of their artic routes are SBS.

Hale (OF) will not get it because the depot has a limit to how many buses can be stored at the depot. If it was lifted, OF would take the M60 SBS before they take the M125, seeing that they only run SBS artics and the M125 is a local route. (Don’t even mention the M35, it’s not even worth it.)

MV will not get it because they don’t accept artic buses. You’re assuming that the M125 will be a standard route when it will be an artic route; remember, this route is replacing the Bx15 and M100 routes on 125th Street.

It would be logical to send the M125 to TU (100 St), but for that to happen TU would have to send the M31 to MV seeing that TU is replacing their Orion Hybrids with Nova Hybrids and MV is the only other Manhattan Division depot that is taking Nova Hybrids. I don’t see that move happening anytime soon. That, and the M125 will be based out of the Bronx Division so it’s either KB or WF.

And how do you know that any of this will happen?

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Why MV and not Quill (which has had the M31 in the past)?

Quill could get the M31 too, but the Nova hybrids would have to go somewhere. It could go to Quill, but I don’t think they would want to deal with the Nova Hybrids. They could, but for right now I just see the MTA keeping things simple and in uniformity, meaning sending to a depot that already have the same type of fleet, which is MV.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

And how do you know that any of this will happen?

It’s more of the process of elimination than knowing that anything I have mentioned in my previous post will actually happen.

- The M125 is going to be an artic route replacing the Bx15 and M100 on 125th St. Previous posts have stated that the preliminary plans have it slated for WF and send the Bx35 to KB or keep it at KB.

-There is also previous posts assuming that the M125 will be in one of the Manhattan depots.

-If the M125 is supposed to be an artic route, then that automatically eliminates MV from the running, since they can’t run artics.

-Quill’s and Hale’s buses are SBS artics. After all this time, I don’t see either depot taking on a non SBS artic route. They both could, but it would look like CS in Queens (Q44 SBS and Q12). Besides, Quill has enough on its plate and as long as Hale has that capping limit on how many buses can be there, I don’t see the M125 based out of those two depots anytime soon.

-That leaves TU, which is the only non SBS artic depot in Manhattan. It could go there, but does TU have the space to handle it. We don’t know how many buses are required for the M125. If it can, then great. However, if it can’t, then we all know which route could leave if they wanted to send the M125 to TU: the M31. The M31 could go back to Quill, but with the Nova Hybrids in play, I could see them sending it to MV for fleet uniformity purposes.

-I don’t see any of that happening anytime soon, and with the other boroughs still in the process of going into the Bus Redesigns, it’s best to keep the M125 in the Bronx Division and see how this plays out before they send it anywhere else.

-I’m also aware that this MTA we’re dealing with here and you’ll never know what they will do, which is why I’m waiting to see where the M125 finally land and how all of this will play out.

1 hour ago, Mpn4179 said:

Quill could get the M31 too, but the Nova hybrids would have to go somewhere. It could go to Quill, but I don’t think they would want to deal with the Nova Hybrids. They could, but for right now I just see the MTA keeping things simple and in uniformity, meaning sending to a depot that already have the same type of fleet, which is MV.

Except that the M31 is too far from MV. Where would the relief point be? How would drivers get there?

4 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

The last official plan was to put the Bx35 in KB to put the M125 in WF.

The 39 was already sent back to Bartow for an impending route reshuffle.

It is better for the 35 to stay with the Coliseum, because I doubt that the route would leave there due to having the 27 nearby at 169 (that is, Simpson). I get the 3 and 13 needing to be near Tenth Avenue at 215, but the 35 being there too would likely be a worse deadhead than it is with the Coliseum dispatching the 35 right now. This is not the 90's when the Coliseum needed to be rebuilt at that time, sending the 11, 35 and 36 to be dispatched from 10 Avenue.

Besides, as I expressed earlier, the 125 would do better with standard 40ft coaches out of 132, rather than having it be an articulated coach route out of the Coliseum. If they really want to push articulated coaches to the 125, perhaps 100 Street would be ideal. If 100 Street does end up being the dispatch spot for the 125, I doubt the 31 would need to leave as well.

I wish that Amsterdam and 126 were reopened so that these route shuffles were far easier to do.

1 hour ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

The 39 was already sent back to Bartow for an impending route reshuffle.

It is better for the 35 to stay with the Coliseum, because I doubt that the route would leave there due to having the 27 nearby at 169 (that is, Simpson). I get the 3 and 13 needing to be near Tenth Avenue at 215, but the 35 being there too would likely be a worse deadhead than it is with the Coliseum dispatching the 35 right now. This is not the 90's when the Coliseum needed to be rebuilt at that time, sending the 11, 35 and 36 to be dispatched from 10 Avenue.

Besides, as I expressed earlier, the 125 would do better with standard 40ft coaches out of 132, rather than having it be an articulated coach route out of the Coliseum. If they really want to push articulated coaches to the 125, perhaps 100 Street would be ideal. If 100 Street does end up being the dispatch spot for the 125, I doubt the 31 would need to leave as well.

I wish that Amsterdam and 126 were reopened so that these route shuffles were far easier to do.

You’re talking from 1998-2003 when WA closed and the MTA sent Bx11, 35 & 36 to KB, which was hard to dispatch. You would’ve sent the buses Manhattan bound, with the last stop being GWB, then take the bus oos to KB vía Broadway. They’re better of easier dispatched at Coliseum instead of KB. 

1 hour ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Except that the M31 is too far from MV. Where would the relief point be? How would drivers get there?

Not too far. The M31 Eastbound terminal is on 92nd St and York Avenue. If they’re deadheading, they can turn right on York av, right on 91st St, right on 1st Avenue, left on 125th Street, right on 12 Avenue and you’re right near the depot. From the westbound terminal (54th St & 10th Avenue), they could use the West Side Hwy (if permitted) to 125th Street and get to the depot. As for the relief point, they could put it at the Eastbound terminal or they can put it at 57th St and Broadway, where drivers can take the (1) train to 137th St- City College and walk to MV.

But like I said before, they could send it to Quill or the M31 will just stay put at TU. I only suggested MV because of the Nova Hybrids and that MV, KB and GH are the only other depots that are operating them.

IMO, the M31 will stay put at TU and the M125 will be at a Bronx depot. Whether it’s at KB or WF, I don’t care. What will matter will be how the riders will react to the M125 when it starts to run.

On 2/23/2022 at 8:27 PM, Mpn4179 said:

Not too far. The M31 Eastbound terminal is on 92nd St and York Avenue. If they’re deadheading, they can turn right on York av, right on 91st St, right on 1st Avenue, left on 125th Street, right on 12 Avenue and you’re right near the depot. From the westbound terminal (54th St & 10th Avenue), they could use the West Side Hwy (if permitted) to 125th Street and get to the depot. As for the relief point, they could put it at the Eastbound terminal or they can put it at 57th St and Broadway, where drivers can take the (1) train to 137th St- City College and walk to MV.

But like I said before, they could send it to Quill or the M31 will just stay put at TU. I only suggested MV because of the Nova Hybrids and that MV, KB and GH are the only other depots that are operating them.

IMO, the M31 will stay put at TU and the M125 will be at a Bronx depot. Whether it’s at KB or WF, I don’t care. What will matter will be how the riders will react to the M125 when it starts to run.

Your using logic not some top secret formula love it. WF or KB are the only options really for the M125 my only question now is the Bx11 still getting 60FT. As for TU you have to give MJQ or MV at least half of the M31 to maybe fit the M125.

Edited by Nova Fly Guy

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

When is the training on the revamped bus routes expected to begin, given how I started to notice the new surface alignment yesterday?

Probably during the month of May. 

Edited by NBTA
You said training, not when it’s implemented, my bad.

When I saw the draft plan, I was livid about the M100 being eliminated along 125th Street, because I use it to go to Lexington. I think the change for the 100 cut back to St. Nick & 125th instead is a sort of compromise as there are many people that rely on the M100/M101 to reach the A,B,C,D and 2,3 trains. This was done because of the conditions on 125th Street, but the real problem is the lack of enforcement of the Bus Lane by NYPD or DOT or whoever enforces traffic.

Also, I was against having the bus lanes along outer lanes AND they kept street parking because the store owners complained about losing their parking for customers. I would have made the center lanes bus lanes, banned left turns, and banned parking along all of 125th Street. I've ridden the bus on 125th Street recently and the bus lanes are completely useless, the lack of enforcement on the corridor is absolutely atrocious. With the new bus route redesigned, the M101 is going to be even more overcrowded than it already currently is as so many people rely on the buses to get to City College & Randolph H.S., and those who take it to connections further east.

Edited by nightrider

On 4/4/2022 at 11:23 AM, nightrider said:

When I saw the draft plan, I was livid about the M100 being eliminated along 125th Street, because I use it to go to Lexington. I think the change for the 100 cut back to St. Nick & 125th instead is a sort of compromise as there are many people that rely on the M100/M101 to reach the A,B,C,D and 2,3 trains. This was done because of the conditions on 125th Street, but the real problem is the lack of enforcement of the Bus Lane by NYPD or DOT or whoever enforces traffic.

Also, I was against having the bus lanes along outer lanes AND they kept street parking because the store owners complained about losing their parking for customers. I would have made the center lanes bus lanes, banned left turns, and banned parking along all of 125th Street. I've ridden the bus on 125th Street recently and the bus lanes are completely useless, the lack of enforcement on the corridor is absolutely atrocious. With the new bus route redesigned, the M101 is going to be even more overcrowded than it already currently is as so many people rely on the buses to get to City College & Randolph H.S., and those who take it to connections further east.

The DOT does not enforce bus lanes. That's the NYPD in terms of clearing them out, but over time the plan is to install more cameras to keep the lanes clear.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2022 at 5:10 PM, Ken Bannister said:

(Bx30)along Boston Rd. s/o Gun Hill Road

Really, I did not notice while driving along Boston Rd yesterday.  I noticed that the lollipop signs still say Norwood on Boston Rd n/o Gun Hill.  Also the notice the Bx25 signs are up at Coop City/Bay Plaza...

On 4/30/2022 at 9:35 AM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Is there any word on which depot gets the M125?

I have not heard anything official...

1 hour ago, SubBus said:

Really, I did not notice while driving along Boston Rd yesterday.  I noticed that the lollipop signs still say Norwood on Boston Rd n/o Gun Hill.  Also the notice the Bx25 signs are up at Coop City/Bay Plaza...

I have not heard anything official...

yeah, i was riding the BL60 to Pelham Pkwy and noticed while staring out the right side window.

the other day i just noticed (Bx40) signs at E 180th St/Daly Ave too

On 4/30/2022 at 9:35 AM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Is there any word on which depot gets the M125?

Last checked.. Bronx Division (West Farms). However, this could be subject to change.

Kingsbridge to get Bx35 from West Farms. Again, subject to change. It's a wait and see process later this month or early JUNE we will find out.

On 5/1/2022 at 7:34 PM, Ken Bannister said:

yeah, i was riding the BL60 to Pelham Pkwy and noticed while staring out the right side window.

the other day i just noticed (Bx40) signs at E 180th St/Daly Ave too

Ok...

I noticed the (Bx36)/(Bx36LTD) signs  on Tremont Av at Webster Av only...

I  was wondering if the (Bx30)should terminate at Fordham Plz? 

Probably not enough space there...

1 hour ago, SubBus said:

Ok...

I noticed the (Bx36)/(Bx36LTD) signs  on Tremont Av at Webster Av only...

I  was wondering if the (Bx30)should terminate at Fordham Plz? 

Probably not enough space there...

There is enough space, terminate it around the corner, and have the first stop be the Bx9/22 stop.

Tuskegee will operate the M125, with artics. There are no other changes to Manhattan depots.

West Farms

Bx6, 6 SBS, 8, 11, 17, 19, 21, 27, 31, 32, 33, 35, 36, 46

Kingsbridge

Bx1, 2, 3, 7, 9, 10, 13, 15, 18, 20, 28*, M100

*One round weekdays

Gun Hill

Bx4/A, Bx5, 12, 12 SBS, 16, 22, 24, 25/26, 28/38, 29, 30, 34, 39, 40/42, 41, 41 SBS

Edited by SevenEleven