Bronx Redesign Draft Released

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Personally, from my trips to Harlem the M100 is not the problem and the Bx15 isn’t the problem. It’s lack of enforcement by PD. If those bus lanes were to see better enforcement we wouldn’t suggest a splitting the Bx15.  My bigger issue is the Bx19 and that’s entirely another post for another day. 

I would imagine that they also studied MetroCard data to arrive at some of these decisions. The other goal of these redesigns is to focus on increasing ridership on lines by cutting here and there. Some of these changes I'm sure will be cost neutral. I mean sure, they're spending some money for some changes, but that was really after community pressure.  As far as enforcement goes, I will say that the (MTA) has been a tad better. They've actually messaged me a few times to say that they are sending a patrol car out to clear out a bus stop here and there. That was almost unheard of years ago, but I agree. The enforcement overall has been terrible, which falls on the NYPD. Their argument is we don't control traffic, so we'll redesign our way around it, by cutting routes that travel through congested areas.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Personally, from my trips to Harlem the M100 is not the problem and the Bx15 isn’t the problem. It’s lack of enforcement by PD. If those bus lanes were to see better enforcement we wouldn’t suggest a splitting the Bx15.  My bigger issue is the Bx19 and that’s entirely another post for another day. 

Is the issue with the Bx19 also an enforcement/road layout thing? Looking at Google Maps live traffic it shows an absolute disaster right at The Hub, and decent-sized backups around it, but that area has bus lanes (unless there are so many people making right turns on and off 149 that the bus lanes back up really badly because of legally allowed moves).

Edited by engineerboy6561

33 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I would imagine that they also studied MetroCard data to arrive at some of these decisions. The other goal of these redesigns is to focus on increasing ridership on lines by cutting here and there. Some of these changes I'm sure will be cost neutral. I mean sure, they're spending some money for some changes, but that was really after community pressure.  As far as enforcement goes, I will say that the (MTA) has been a tad better. They've actually messaged me a few times to say that they are sending a patrol car out to clear out a bus stop here and there. That was almost unheard of years ago, but I agree. The enforcement overall has been terrible, which falls on the NYPD. Their argument is we don't control traffic, so we'll redesign our way around it, by cutting routes that travel through congested areas.

Last I checked.  Traffic falls under the jurisdiction of the NYPD and not the Department of Transportation. Because if that were the case we’d see more NYCDOT trucks and cars ticketing AND towing. 

4 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Last I checked.  Traffic falls under the jurisdiction of the NYPD and not the Department of Transportation. Because if that were the case we’d see more NYCDOT trucks and cars ticketing AND towing. 

Yes, but for things like bus lanes and camera enforcement, that partially falls under the NYCDOT (the (MTA) is involved to a degree with cameras on the buses). The plan going forward though is less NYPD enforcement because enforcement will come via cameras in most cases, so that's the deal.  If you notice, all of the latest bus lanes are being dealt with using camera enforcement. 

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes, but for things like bus lanes and camera enforcement, that partially falls under the NYCDOT (the (MTA) is involved to a degree with cameras on the buses). The plan going forward though is less NYPD enforcement because enforcement will come via cameras in most cases, so that's the deal.  If you notice, all of the latest bus lanes are being dealt with using camera enforcement. 

I thought Traffic was moved from NYPD to DOT years ago. Don’t the traffic enforcement agents work for DOT? I know parking is under NYPD. 

1 minute ago, BrooklynBus said:

I thought Traffic was moved from NYPD to DOT years ago. Don’t the traffic enforcement agents work for DOT? I know parking is under NYPD. 

I'm not sure to be honest. Don't know if you recall the Clear Curb Program that used to exist. Well that used Traffic Enforcement Agents. They would literally drive around Manhattan esp. and clear out bus stops and other areas.  I thought it worked well, but the DOT ended that program and it seems the focus is camera enforcement.

On 11/9/2021 at 8:36 PM, 4 via Mosholu said:

I hope the 6 stays put with the Coliseum, and i do not think the 18 is going to be moved from its home by 215. The 19 really needs to be split rather than the 15. I suspect that their 125 plan would send that crosstown line to 132 and be using standard 40ft coaches. It would likely be like how the 15 ran before with standard 40ft CNG buses before the conversion to mostly articulated coach operation with the 55's significant reduction (I still believe the 55 should come back to run from 211 to 149 at least daytime and evening). If they can revive the 25 to follow the 26's original path, there should be no reason not to revive the 55.

The Bx15 limited is literally the Bx55. The full-time Bx41-SBS is for the northern part of Webster and avoids having all those extra turns at Fordham Plaza, while connecting to the same crosstown routes.

On 11/10/2021 at 1:06 AM, FLX9304 said:

If I was the (MTA), I would’ve created high number routes as Spurs to secondary local routes. Keep the SBS as it is. 
Ass for Co-op City, you mentioned the Bx23 & the Bx29. Remember: you have 5 routes serving the area from different locations. They’re not all coming from the same spot. 
Riverdale area needs another bus route for alternate to those that serve Fieldstone Rd. That area lost service since the (Bx24) was discontinued in 1995. But the question is: why cut the Bx6SBS from HP to Soundview? 

In the route profiles, there are a lot of riders transferring between the Bx5 & Bx6. Also, ridership on the Bx6 in the industrial part of Hunts Point is rather light outside of shift change times (but in any case, they'll be adding some local short-turns).

One of the big themes with the Central Bronx is improving connections across the Bronx River (see the Bx11 extension as another example, though that was part of the Bx36/40/42 restructuring).

On 11/10/2021 at 1:28 AM, paulrivera said:

I just thought of something. Mott Haven is in the infant stages of gentrification. Is the proposed combo of bus routes (Bx1,2,21,32,33,M125, also the Bx17 not too far away) going to be sufficient for everybody in 5-10 years?

The main reason that area is gentrifying to begin with is the subway, and that's what most of the new residents will be taking.

On 11/10/2021 at 6:20 AM, NBTA said:

The 55’s elimination always made no sense to me, once going from the only overnight limited bus (I believe), to being an after thought. The “dwindling” ridership was because of the dwindling service they gave us on the line. The 55 now can definitely run to anywhere between 238th and Gun Hill on WP, to 136 and Lincoln via Web and 3rd as a limited (or maybe even SBS), but knowing the MTA, we all know what’s gonna happen (I see them in coming years, cutting more limited service for local on the Bx15).

Limited-stop service moves the passengers quicker (and thus cheaper) over the same distance, so I don't see it going anywhere.

On 11/10/2021 at 6:38 AM, Future ENY OP said:

It’s more of an extension between Hunts Point and Soundview from what I gathered from the video. The 6 already suffers from traffic issues and I get that TA wants to tap in more into the Central Bronx network but at what cost for Soundview riders wanting a 1 seat ride into Harlem-Hamilton Heights? 

I believe the local will continue to serve Hunts Point  

Cant wait for the Queens/Brooklyn re-design plans.  

Not just Manhattan, but it also gives them access to that whole courthouse area around Yankee Stadium, not to mention the extra bus and subway connections.

On 11/10/2021 at 1:11 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If they agree to anything, it could be something like having the M100 terminate at the 125th St (A)(B)(C)(D) station which was proposed by a few people yesterday instead of chopping the M100 off from 125th entirely... Stuff like that. I also don't see them going for keeping the Bx15 in tact. I think they would prefer to break the line up with that M125 line, even if that means people being forced to transfer. Someone that spoke last night made a good point... Some of these proposals will mean people having to transfer that previously had a one-seat ride, and they haven't made any mention of providing things like three-legged transfers.

Hold on. The last time they had the public hearings, they said the M100 would be terminating at 125th & Broadway (after the last round of community outreach) and that they would be providing 3-legged transfers. They seriously forgot their own plan?

Edited by checkmatechamp13

32 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Not just Manhattan, but it also gives them access to that whole courthouse area around Yankee Stadium, not to mention the extra bus and subway connections.

You are correct. Soundview riders don’t have the luxury of getting to the South Bronx on a one seat ride  and the farthest for a person to even touch the South Bronx is via the (6) line. 

5 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The Bx15 limited is literally the Bx55. The full-time Bx41-SBS is for the northern part of Webster and avoids having all those extra turns at Fordham Plaza, while connecting to the same crosstown routes.

And the Bx41 has been getting added service thanks in part to the Bx55 being shortened to Fordham Plaza.

And fun fact: When the 15 and 55 originally merged together, the old 55 runs became local runs from the 55's original depot at Kingsbridge, and the original 15 runs out of West Farms were the ones that became the limited runs. I don't know how they arrange the runs now that all the Bx15 runs are out of KB...

5 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Hold on. The last time they had the public hearings, they said the M100 would be terminating at 125th & Broadway (after the last round of community outreach) and that they would be providing 3-legged transfers. They seriously forgot their own plan?

It wouldn't be the first time. For example, they originally proposed eliminating one stop on the Bx10 Southbound (2735 Henry Hudson Parkway), which is right in front of a medical center. Lots of people complained, since lots of seniors and people with mobility issues use that stop. In the revised Bx10 plan, they don't show that stop as being eliminated. However, my Assemblyman reached out to them about it, and they said they were going forward with eliminating that stop, so there are definitely some discrepancies.

For the M100 plan, it shows the bus terminating at Amsterdam and W 125th St, which is a few blocks away from the (A)(B)(C)(D) subway station. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 12:03 AM, 7-express said:

Buried in the MTA Board meeting notes (starting page 176) for this month is the final plan for the Bronx local bus redesign, for implementation in summer 2022: https://new.mta.info/document/68221

I saw a bunch of things that pulled me in, specifically the comments portion of this.  
“Extend the Bx12 to Bailey/Heath Avenue”

”Extend the Bx12 to 225th Street and Broadway”

”Extend the Bx5 via the Bx11 to Crotona Avenue”

”Extend the Bx6 SBS to Lafayette Avenue and The Hutch”

“The Bx3 short turn should be extended to the VA Hospital”

”Shorten the Bx9 to terminate at 225th Street Station”

”Expand SBS and Bus Priority”

”Extend the Bx46 to 163rd”

”Restore Bx20 service to operate outside of peak hours”

This one takes the cake…

”Make various route extensions and alignment changes to the Bx1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 10, 11, 13, 20, 22, 32 and 34, and expand the service of these routes to run at all times”

Well I didn’t read all the comments, because this one..this one right here, is just plain..

”Extend the Bx2/17 to Jackson Heights via Woodside/RFK Bridge”

Edited by NBTA
The last comment…

21 minutes ago, NBTA said:

”Make various route extensions and alignment changes to the Bx1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 10, 11, 13, 20, 22, 32 and 34, and expand the service of these routes to run at all times”

Agree 100% with those sentiments.  That and something really needs to be done with the Bx9.  It's reassuring to see that there's still some riders in my old neck of the woods that know their stuff, as opposed to being a bunch of submissive sheep.

Edited by R10 2952

42 minutes ago, NBTA said:

I saw a bunch of things that pulled me in, specifically the comments portion of this.  

This one takes the cake…

Well I didn’t read all the comments, because this one..this one right here, is just plain..

Currently reading through the comments, a lot of these sound like ideas from kid buffs.

58 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Agree 100% with those sentiments.  That and something really needs to be done with the Bx9.  It's reassuring to see that there's still some riders in my old neck of the woods that know their stuff, as opposed to being a bunch of submissive sheep.

Broadway is a complete hell hole, and I suggested that 231st Street should be a Busway, which’ll get rid of the bottleneck that is 231st and Broadway. 
The Bx9 only needs a reroute, or some sort of Limited service, which in that case, wouldn’t even touch Broadway (via Bailey Avenue). 
Would having the Bx20 go via Kappock and have the Bx10 via Riverdale Avenue only be pushing it? It’ll be one of the only ways to un-stubbornize (yes I made that up) the MTA into having the 20 run at least 18/6. 
The Bx2 should be extended to Riverdale Avenue, and that should be with no question. 
Running the 3 via University fully, and merging with Sedgwick, would be better for the 3, but the 3 needs better route management. You’ll see 3-4 3s together and then the next one is in 25 minutes.

1 hour ago, NBTA said:

Broadway is a complete hell hole, and I suggested that 231st Street should be a Busway, which’ll get rid of the bottleneck that is 231st and Broadway. 
The Bx9 only needs a reroute, or some sort of Limited service, which in that case, wouldn’t even touch Broadway (via Bailey Avenue). 
Would having the Bx20 go via Kappock and have the Bx10 via Riverdale Avenue only be pushing it? It’ll be one of the only ways to un-stubbornize (yes I made that up) the MTA into having the 20 run at least 18/6. 
The Bx2 should be extended to Riverdale Avenue, and that should be with no question. 
Running the 3 via University fully, and merging with Sedgwick, would be better for the 3, but the 3 needs better route management. You’ll see 3-4 3s together and then the next one is in 25 minutes.

The Bx20 runs to serve Spuyten Duyvil and people that live further away from the Bx7 that want access to the (A) train. Clearly, you're not familiar with the geography here in Riverdale. There would be no point in having the Bx10 run Riverdale Av when the Bx7 is there.

The busway on Broadway was proposed already and rejected by my Community Board, as storeowners raised objections about lost parking and subsequent lost business, so that's that.

What would be the point of extending the Bx2 when the Bx1 already ends at 231st and Riverdale Av?

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 hours ago, NBTA said:

Why the MTA continues to take Frederick Wells seriously, I honestly don't know (well actually, I do... Lol).... He's parroted that stupid idea on multiple platforms...

Here's one of them, if you need proof that's his idea: https://www.norwoodnews.org/final-bronx-bus-redesign-plan-may-involve-the-removal-of-18-percent-of-bronx-bus-stops/ (last comment on the page)

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Currently reading through the comments, a lot of these sound like ideas from kid buffs.

See above... The MTA puts the asinine ideas on front street, just like news reporters on location in urban areas tend to choose the most ignorant looking local person to interview/inquire opinions of whatever story's being reported on.... It's done for effect.... The more sensible ideas the MTA will not showcase/take seriously, quite frankly, because it embarrasses them....

7 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What would be the point of extending the Bx2 when the Bx1 already ends at 231st and Riverdale Av?

Service increase.

The problem with it (extending Bx2's up there) is that there's barely space for Bx1's to layover....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The Bx20 runs to serve Spuyten Duyvil and people that live further away from the Bx7 that want access to the (A) train. Clearly, you're not familiar with the geography here in Riverdale. There would be no point in having the Bx10 run Riverdale Av when the Bx7 is there.

The busway on Broadway was proposed already and rejected by my Community Board, as storeowners raised objections about lost parking and subsequent lost business, so that's that.

That almost seems like a reason to flip the Bx7 and Bx10 over there. (For the record, I don't actually support doing that.)

For what it's worth, I can recall several times at 211th when the northbound Bx20 failed to show up repeatedly and I ended up having to walk across Broadway Bridge, or through Inwood Hill Park and across the pedestrian walkway on Hudson Bridge.  The schedule issues with the 20 got significantly worse after the 2010 cuts reduced it to a glorified peak shuttle.  Something really needs to be done about that.  Not everybody on Kappock, Johnson or Irwin is trying to get the (1), not everyone there is an after-7-AM or before-6-PM worker, and the Bx10 alone can't handle all the demand. 

44 minutes ago, Lex said:

That almost seems like a reason to flip the Bx7 and Bx10 over there. (For the record, I don't actually support doing that.)

Which would make no sense, given how many people in North Riverdale and Central Riverdale need 231st & Broadway. The Bx7 folks just get off 231st & Corlear and walk the rest of the way.

27 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

For what it's worth, I can recall several times at 211th when the northbound Bx20 failed to show up repeatedly and I ended up having to walk across Broadway Bridge, or through Inwood Hill Park and across the pedestrian walkway on Hudson Bridge.  The schedule issues with the 20 got significantly worse after the 2010 cuts reduced it to a glorified peak shuttle.  Something really needs to be done about that.  Not everybody on Kappock, Johnson or Irwin is trying to get the (1), not everyone there is an after-7-AM or before-6-PM worker, and the Bx10 alone can't handle all the demand. 

I'd add more Bx7 service before adding more Bx20 service. You want more service on the Bx20? Get more people to ride it. Been living here over 10 years. That bus Southbound is never crowded (I sometimes use it to get to Metro-North since the shuttle buses still don't have OMNY) and Northbound, it serves as a school shuttle. Extend it any further South and it would be even more unreliable than it is now.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'd add more Bx7 service before adding more Bx20 service. You want more service on the Bx20? Get more people to ride it. Been living here over 10 years. That bus Southbound is never crowded (I sometimes use it to get to Metro-North since the shuttle buses still don't have OMNY) and Northbound, it serves as a school shuttle. Extend it any further South and it would be even more unreliable than it is now.

Excuse me, but I lived there before you, and for a longer period of time than you.  Not to mention I was a regular local bus rider as opposed to a casual, occasional rider who, in your own words, rode the 7/10/20 "once or twice a year".  That and at no point in my post did I explicitly suggest extending the Bx20 further south- trying to put words in my mouth I never uttered.

The Bx20 got decent ridership before the '08 recession and the '10 cuts.  The ridership going down over the last few years has largely been the result of the MTA's chronic mismanagement of the line's schedule.  The 20 pre-2009 and post-2009 are like night and day.  If the MTA stops dicking around riders in South Riverdale, Spuyten Duyvil and Kingsbridge, then the old, fairly decent ridership levels will return.  It's that simple.  Maybe next you'll tell me all about the Q38/54/67 from back in the '90s when I lived in Queens?

I don't need someone from up north in Riverdale condescendingly preaching to me about my own damn neighborhood.  You've had a habit in the past of acting like the people in the southern part of the area don't exist, don't have needs that matter, or have simply thrown shade like when you made a snide remark two or three years ago about Riverpoint Towers (a building where I knew a lot of people) being "lower-end".  Not everybody in 10463 lives in hoity-toity luxury and rides the express bus, you know? Quite a bunch of us didn't.  Some of us worked, gasp, non-white-collar jobs for a living.  You're quick to go do battle with the MTA over the slightest hiccup in express BxM1/2/18, or HudsonLink service, but seem to gloss over any issue with the local Bx7/10/20, especially the 10 and 20.  Or insist on presenting your own narrative and negating the experience and suggestions of others who had different experiences from you.

When you're right, you're right, but when you're not, me, checkmatechamp, MHV, KnightRider and others have called you out not on a whim, but for actual reasons.  Imagine I moved to Staten Island tomorrow and started telling you "no, this is the problem with the S48, 52 and 61" ?

Jesus.

Edited by R10 2952

8 hours ago, NBTA said:

This one takes the cake…

The Bx3 short turn one makes sense if they can divide the service correctly. Plus those short turns already loop around the hospital anyway.

I stopped reading after the "shorten the Bx9" tho. Buncha smart aleck kids....

5 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Excuse me, but I lived there before you, and for a longer period of time than you.  Not to mention I was a regular local bus rider as opposed to a casual, occasional rider who, in your own words, rode the 7/10/20 "once or twice a year".  That and at no point in my post did I explicitly suggest extending the Bx20 further south- trying to put words in my mouth I never uttered.

The Bx20 got decent ridership before the '08 recession and the '10 cuts.  The ridership going down over the last few years has largely been the result of the MTA's chronic mismanagement of the line's schedule.  The 20 pre-2009 and post-2009 are like night and day.  If the MTA stops dicking around riders in South Riverdale, Spuyten Duyvil and Kingsbridge, then the old, fairly decent ridership levels will return.  It's that simple.  Maybe next you'll tell me all about the Q38/54/67 from back in the '90s when I lived in Queens?

I don't need someone from up north in Riverdale condescendingly preaching to me about my own damn neighborhood.  You've had a habit in the past of acting like the people in the southern part of the area don't exist, don't have needs that matter, or have simply thrown shade like when you made a snide remark two or three years ago about Riverpoint Towers (a building where I knew a lot of people) being "lower-end".  Not everybody in 10463 lives in hoity-toity luxury and rides the express bus, you know? Quite a bunch of us didn't.  Some of us worked, gasp, non-white-collar jobs for a living.  You're quick to go do battle with the MTA over the slightest hiccup in express BxM1/2/18, or HudsonLink service, but seem to gloss over any issue with the local Bx7/10/20, especially the 10 and 20.  Or insist on presenting your own narrative and negating the experience and suggestions of others who had different experiences from you.

When you're right, you're right, but when you're not, me, checkmatechamp, MHV, KnightRider and others have called you out not on a whim, but for actual reasons.  Imagine I moved to Staten Island tomorrow and started telling you "no, this is the problem with the S48, 52 and 61" ?

Jesus.

I've been living here over 10 years, and while I may not use the Bx7, Bx10 and Bx20 regularly, I do observe ridership patterns and have used each enough over the years to form my own conclusions. It's a bus. It's not rocket science. The reason I don't use the local buses more is because quite frankly, none of the lines are that reliable (it is not uncommon to see the Bx7, Bx10 and even the Bx20 with its infrequent service running in packs), and second, my commute would involve too many transfers, so taking a local bus and several subways when I can take one express bus or go by car to the Riverdale or Spuyten Duyvil station for Metro-North or even walk to the Spuyten Duyvil station on nice days for Metro-North is a no-brainer, but don't act like you're the only one that knows about the service patterns here just because I'm not a regular rider. When I moved here, it was with the thinking that I would only be using the express bus, not Metro-North or any local bus because of my commute. Nothing more, nothing less. Over time, I've experimented with Metro-North and the local buses just to see what each was like, and so I alternate primarily between the express bus and Metro-North, but my experiences with the subway and local buses were enough to deter me from riding frequently. Any delay on either of them, and you're adding 30 minutes to an already long commute. 

What is my "own narrative" with a line that has dealt with ridership reclines? Yes, it's unreliable, no question about it, and I observe that also, but if you think pointing to what the service was like over 10 years ago is going to do the trick, good luck. Seems like you don't like hearing the truth, so you lash out about people being blue collar vs. white collar. Very related to the discussion at hand.  lol That doesn't change the fact that ridership on the line is low, and the Bx7 is regularly overcrowded, so much so that buses have to bypass stops, so between the two lines, the Bx7 would likely have a chance before the Bx20 of getting more service, just based on data, not your rambling about where I live, etc., etc. What is surprising to me is the Bx7 crowds even with it being unreliable at times. For the record, I have absolutely no problem with Spuyten Duyvil and know and am very cordial with folks from there. 

Everything you mentioned has nothing to do with your point, which is that you want more service added, so you can take your venom and direct it towards the (MTA) . Every time it's been suggested that they add more service or expand the hours on the Bx20, the answer has been "NO", so while you complain here about it, what do you propose to get them to add the service? Present DATA and examples, instead of trying to hurl lame insults. lol